VMware AirWatch Review

Enables us to manage all of the devices on our campus through one central service

What is our primary use case?

We are a large school managing Mac devices on all levels. We manage the iPads, push education through the iPads, and AirWatch works great. We use it to do a lot of tasks for the school work - manage teachers devices, student devices, and lab computer devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have a system before, Mac OS Open Directory server and this open directory became obsolete because Apple decided to stop the enterprise market, so there was no other alternative for us to use. We chose this to replace the open directory and we found that it has many more features than the previous solution. We totally rely on it right now to manage all the devices on campus.

What is most valuable?

Managing Mac Devices with profiles. Pushing Apps to iOS devices.

What needs improvement?

The accuracy of the management function has room for improvement. It's important to us because sometimes we send a profile to the machine and it's pending but doesn't reach. And we have to go manually and push it. Also, Chromebook management needs a lot to be improved.

It's very stable despite the accuracy component that I want them to focus on improving.

Scalability is great for us. When we evaluated other solutions, they didn't meet our scalability needs.

We have it deployed have on our entire server. All of our accounts propagate to 1500 users. It's great to have all of our users being managed by one central service.

It's a newer solution and I use it at school so I always rely on their technical support. Sometimes they are great, but sometimes they are not.

I switched to AirWatch because it is compatible with different platforms like Windows, Mac, iOS devices, Chromebooks devices. The previous solution we were using did support Mac ONLY.

The initial setup was straightforward with the consultant's help, but without, I couldn't do it by myself. The documentation is not enough to do the implementation of the product. You still need a consultant to guide you.

The deployment changes every year and the policies change every year. The time it takes to deploy depends on how many devices you have. If you're like ourselves and have a ton of devices, it takes a month to finish the deployment.

For our implementation strategy, we moved on the groups of the policies that were assigned for each. Our strategy was to bend different policies on each so we can get the most of the features we needed to apply to each group.

We used a consultant from France. He was excellent and guided us through the setup of the contact and the implementation.

If you purchase it for one year, it is very expensive. If you get it for three years or up to five years, then you can bargain a better price.

Jamf Casper.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. They need to make it so that you can add more tools to work so that it can cover all of the management tools that you need to manage all of the devices.

I highly recommend AirWatch because it covers the compatibility issue. For an organization like us, we have the same platform and want to manage multiple devices, and it is the best solution for us right now.

1 Comment
AmiraYoussefReal UserTOP 10

We are currently exploring the Windows support as well. There are many features to use.

06 May 19