Apache JMeter OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Apache JMeter is #1 ranked solution in top Performance Testing Tools, #1 ranked solution in top Load Testing Tools, and #4 ranked solution in top API Testing Tools. IT Central Station users give Apache JMeter an average rating of 8 out of 10. Apache JMeter is most commonly compared to Postman:Apache JMeter vs Postman. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Apache JMeter?

Apache JMeter may be used to test performance both on static and dynamic resources, Web dynamic applications. It can be used to simulate a heavy load on a server, group of servers, network or object to test its strength or to analyze overall performance under different load types.

Apache JMeter was previously known as JMeter.

Apache JMeter Buyer's Guide

Download the Apache JMeter Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Apache JMeter Customers

AOL, Orbitz, Innopath Software, PrepMe, Sapient, Corporate Express Australia, CSIRO, Ephibian, Talis, DATACOM, ALALOOP, eFusion, Panter, Sourcepole, University of Western Cape

Apache JMeter Video

Archived Apache JMeter Reviews (more than two years old)

PP
Executive Director/Consultant at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cost-effective and has good community support

• "The most valuable feature for us is the available information on the forums and to be able to discuss and get answers from the people that are involved in using this tool."
  • "There is some work to be done with the integration."

What is our primary use case?

In general, the primary use case of this solution is for performance testing and load testing.

Typically it is for load tests. They have to focus on three metrics including throughput, response times, and the utilization of the resources including the CPUs.

We are delivering some bank houses with performance tests, through JMeter.

The deployment model varies depending on the client. Some have a private line.

What is most valuable?

From the customers' perspective, the most valuable feature is the price.

The most valuable feature for us is the available information on the forums and to be able to discuss and get answers from the people that are involved in using this tool.

What needs improvement?

They have to find a way to prepare the script or to prepare a detailed analysis. We have to collect all the information on each of the services we have to call. Based on this they have to collect in the phase of preparation for the performance test and then we can run our audit. It is easy to prepare a script to run a performance test.

You can't rely on the support. It's something that is not fully working.

The scalability of this solution needs some improvement.

There is some work to be done with the integration.

I have been using this solution for over five years.

This solution is stable, but it does have one limitation with the number of throughputs. For example, if I want to generate four, five, or two thousand people working concurrently then they have to prepare our setup for ten PC servers.

Normally they can run a load for five thousand people, customers, or users working concurrently. It is scalable but needs some improvement.

The technical support on the site is not fully functioning.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

You can have it running within thirty minutes.

I had always implemented this solution myself, but It's been a couple of years since I did it last.

Now it is done through our company technicians.  I just coordinate activity-performance tests for our customers.

This is an open-source solution, and there are no fees.

What other advice do I have?

The requirements for most of our customers is to provide them with cheap solutions, and most prefer not to pay for software. This is the right solution for them based on some of the open-source tools that are available.

There are some commercial solutions that provide better integration to the solutions that must be tested when running loads.

I would rate this solution an eight out ten.

MP
Intermediate Technical Test Analyst (Mobile Lab SME HP Mobile Center and Appium) at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
A scalable, stable solution that's very easy to use

• "The ease of use is the solution's most valuable feature. Also, the ability to easily create test cases is also very good. It's easy to just ramp up on the solution."
  • "In future releases, it would be helpful if there was an integration with ALM Octane."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for API testing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is new to us. I'm not sure if we're using the full capabilities of the solution yet, but from what we have used, we're quite satisfied.

In future releases, it would be helpful if there was an integration with ALM Octane.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

We're not using too many features of the solution itself, so we haven't needed the assistance of technical support yet.

We previously used LoadRunner. We decided to switch because on LoadRunner scaling up was a problem.  We needed licenses to do so and it was becoming a problem for us to simulate the number of users we were expecting.

The general setup of the solution is straightforward.

Before we chose JMeter, we looked at NeoLoad, but it looked to have the same issues surrounding licensing that LoadRunner did.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

The advice I would give to others would be to look at your requirements and decide if the solution is right for you. For us, it was API testing and JMeter is very good for this.

I'd rate this solution nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GK
Technology Specialist at Cognizant
A cost-effective solution that is easy to use and can be installed in any network

What is our primary use case?

This is a cost-effective tool, which provides people the ability to do POCs without worrying about costs.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache JMeter provided us with the opportunity to test applications for clients who did not have the budget to employ heavy-duty tools like LoadRunner. Additionally, due to ease of installation, it can be installed in any client network, without the requirement for port opening.

What is most valuable?

API testing, Database Testing, and MQ testing can be done with ease.

What needs improvement?

The tool should be made a bit more robust, and better support should be made available.

We have been using this solution for two years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

API testing, Database Testing, and MQ testing can be done with ease.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for two years.
ArtemCheremisin
Performance Test Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Continuously offers new features and plug-ins and has valuable coding features

• "The solution offers a lot of plug-ins and a huge continuously developing community that is regularly offering new features and plug-ins."
  • "The solution could use some sort of educational features to offer tips and hints to help users navigate it better. They should improve the manuals and help files."

What is our primary use case?

I set a script reporting and execute test report and analysis on almost all stages of the performance cycle except in regards to requirements and the environment.

How has it helped my organization?

we saved a lot on licenses for commercial tool

What is most valuable?

The features that helpful are the coding and the opportunity to work with the SQL directly in order to report on the data. You can collect all the test data from DB with these and then do post test execution metrics collection as well(if you need DB)

What needs improvement?

RegEx Extractor needs improvement. It's a headache for many people. The solution could use some sort of educational features to offer tips and hints to help users navigate it better. They should improve the manuals and help files. I've searched the internet for answers over the past year or so, and I haven't come across anything that is helpful. The community help files are pretty good, but their own help files are not.

In the next release, it would be helpful to offer more flexible graph handling to be able to combine different metrics into one graph.

I've been using the solution for eight years.

quitre stable but keep an eye on RAM consumption and smart execution tips (can see on their site)

Scalability is good, though you need to be aware of distributed and non guis test execution modes.

It's a free tool, so they don't offer technical support. If you need help, you need to Google and search for answers on your own.

I've used LoadRunner in the past, among other solutions. I switched to Apache because it is free. Other tools are much too expensive and can cost up to $50,000 a year if you are looking at commercial options.

Now Neoload probably the best one (better than Load runner as per my subjective perception) but it's a way too costly

please take a look at ROI and scal of performance tests. For big projects and organizations consider Load Runner or Neoload, but if you have small project, most likely you wil lstop on Apache Jmeter. Also it depends on the protocol support. But because of big community, Apache jmeter has constant income of new plugins developed

What other advice do I have?

For people thinking about implementing the solution, I would advise that they know what protocols they want to work with. I would recommend doing an evaluation of script maintenance. You need to see how stable your automation disk and performance is.

I would rate this solution nine out of ten. The solution offers a lot of plug-ins and a huge, continuously developing community that is regularly offering new features and plug-ins.

Demkó Sándor
Test Team Lead at Passed Informatikai Kft.
A free solution that's stable and easy to use

• "The solution is free. You don't need to worry about licensing costs."
  • "The user interface is a little bit tricky."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for performance download testing.

What is most valuable?

It's a solution that's easy to use. It's a bit different from SoapUI and LoadUI.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a little bit tricky.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

The solution is very stable.

It's not 100% scalable like LoadUI, but LoadUI is very expensive. We're an outsourcing company, so we have approximately ten users. We may have plans to expand in the future.

The solution doesn't have technical support. If we need answers, we look for them on the internet.

Previously, we used the basic version of LoadUI. We switched because LoadUI is very expensive and Apache JMeter is free.

The initial setup was complex. We did have it done in a day. It took approximately one hour. We have about five to six people that manage the solution.

The solution is free. You don't need to worry about licensing costs.

We didn't evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud version of the solution.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten. If it had a bit of a better user interface, I would rate it higher.

Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It's very easy to download and setup the entire infrastructure.

Valuable Features:

Extremely light weight.

Very easy to download and setup the entire infrastructure (Controller +LGs)

Ease of scripting

Host of plugins which further boost its effectiveness

Availability Non-GUI mode which consumes even lesser resources than already lightweight GUI version.

Improvements to My Organization:

Robust scripts which could handle build changes

Easy LG(Master & Slaves) configuration setup

Very lightweight and low usage of resources

Room for Improvement:

GUI tends to freeze and shutdown under more load

Ctrl+z( Undo doesn't work) so gets very inconvenient at times

Cannot do a mass replace( Ctrl+H) on the GUI ( can do it if script is opened via notepad++)

Re-iteration problems during errors - Usually we have login in once only controller, Action in Loop controller and logout in once only controller. Now if an error comes when the user simply logouts due to some unhandled error then the script expects that your session would continue but if that error has made you logout then your next iterations won't go through and vice versa. Suppose you put everything in loop controller and error doesn't log you out then the script start to login when you are already logged in and tends to fail.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

See above Room for Improvement.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Technical Leader with 501-1,000 employees
Reporting feature can be improved but allows us to simulate a load of concurrent users on our application

What is most valuable?

Almost all features provided by JMeter are helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a solution called Service Quality Manager portal and is a web based solution to do service management. We do performance testing of this solution using JMeter. It allows us to simulate a load of concurrent users on our application and find out performance bottlenecks in the application.

What needs improvement?

Reporting feature can be improved to provide better test results.

We have been using JMeter for 5 years.

I did not encounter any issue while deploying JMeter.

I did not encounter any issue with stability.

Yes, While running with a large number of simulated users, sometimes we got thread exceptions and we restarted our testing simulation.

As such there is no customer service provided by Apache for JMeter. This software is free to use under Apache licensing system.

We tried BadBoy but it lacked features.

Initial setup of JMeter is simple. A user can go ahead and start using it just by following it's documentation.

We implemented JMeter using our own in-house team.

I am not sure yet.

As it is java based software an can run on any platform supporting JVM.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to verify one's own business need and evaluate certain parameters first like Feasibility and Reliability of Automation, Ease in maintenance of automated test cases, Time saving in Manual or Automated Testing.

it_user324075
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
JMeter supports HTTP/HTTPS, DBs, FTP, and other system protocols and easy to crate basic scripts but has limitations on the reports

What is most valuable?

• Recording/Playback
  • Templates for test plans (NEW)
  • Integrate with Java and many other scripting languages
  • Integrating with external plug-ins

How has it helped my organization?

• The recording feature makes it easy to create test plans
  • They have templates that make starting very easy (this feature is added recently)
  • Supports a lot of protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP , SMTP etc)
  • Simplicity of use
  • As compared to commercial tools, it provides better reporting features through third-party plug-ins
  • There's also a huge community around tool, and because of that when there's an issue, you can get solutions easily, and without cost For example, we dis a very complex testing of HL7 protocols, which JMeter doesn't support directly, but it's extendable to support the protocols
  • Supports Java and other scripting languages and can extend capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could be better if it could be like commercial tools. For example, a nice chart and visualizations. You can’t rely on the first 100 test results because the ramp-up and ramp-down time gives false results with outliers. It would be great if an option to ignore first 100 and last 100 records from results and then generate reports, should be great. Needs to support more concurrent users by single JMeter instance (agent/slave)

I've been using it for over last five years, and it is a major, active open source tool.

No issues with recent releases

There are issues when tests are stopped with large number of concurrent users. Test is not stopped as expected.

There is a huge community around JMeter. Hence free support is available to the users.

Excellent (from the community)

Grinder. Grinder was not user friendly and had to do lot of coding and low level configurations. It was lighter than JMeter.

Initial setup is straight forward. You need to have have JDK or JRE for running JMeter.

We have a team of testers capable of managing the JMeter perfromance testing project effectively.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to use and free, a huge community, and it offers a risk free to start, so use it for application performance testing. It supports connectivies with databases, FTP, and other system protocols.

it_user281952
Sr. Performance Test Engineer at a university with 501-1,000 employees
It can record, run, and create reports, but it hangs up on large loads.

Valuable Features:

I like the ease of using JMeter. It can be downloaded and can be used to record and run load tests. JMeter can record, run and create reports easily without the need to have licenses, complex installations and paid support. It can be used to performance test services, web applications, database queries, LDAP, etc.

Improvements to My Organization:

We use JMeter for performance testing. We are able to know which module is lagging behind in performance, whether the software or hardware upgrades have improved the performance or not.

Room for Improvement:

I think JMeter hangs up on large loads. I have seen JMeter becoming unresponsive in the middle of a test. It is because of garbage collection in JMeter. We use best practices to mute all listeners, use non GUI mode, etc., but even with many best practices JMeter pauses in between load tests.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It is a open source tool.

Other Advice:

My advice would be to have load generator machines. Do not run JMeter (or any load testing tool) from a desktop. Do not have just one JMeter installation to generate load. Use several JMeter instances to distribute load. If possible, use JMeter in Client Server mode.

Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
3 Reasons for combining JMeter and WebDriver
The Apache Foundation states the following about JMeter: The Apache JMeter™ desktop application is open source software, a 100% pure Java application designed to load test functional behavior and measure performance. It was originally designed for testing Web Applications but has since expanded to other test functions. So in other words, it’s a tool you can use to generate functional load on an application or a platform. This also immediately describes what it is good at: generating load. Yes if implemented well you not only generate dumb-load but also hit the functional application layers with the tool. But the basic function of JMeter is aimed at generating load and measuring the (server) response times during this load. What does JMeter NOT do? Despite being capable of…

The Apache Foundation states the following about JMeter:

What does JMeter NOT do?

Despite being capable of generating functional load, JMeter does not render pages nor is it very well equipped to execute embedded JavaScript (it is simply not equipped to do that actually), therefore JMeter will not tell you anything (out of the box) about the render times of pages. Especially not about render times when the server is heavily overloaded by your scripts!

What is WebDriver good at?

SeleniumHQ gives a wonderful description of what Selenium (or nowadays WebDriver) does:
Selenium automates browsers. That’s it! What you do with that power is entirely up to you. Primarily, it is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that.

In short, what WebDriver does is just about anything that happens within your browser. It does render pages, it does execute JavaScript, it retrieves the pages as if an actual human was clicking on a website. So for fully functional automated testing (or checking to stick with the more correct terminology) WebDriver is perfect.

What does WebDriver NOT do?

Well, it is not quite good at generating load. Since WebDriver basically requires a browser (yes, it is possible to run it headless of course) it is very difficult to generate multiple (virtual) users. That would require a bunch of browsers to start up, when talking about 10 users that may seem feasible, however when talking about generating real load (say several 1000’s concurrent users) a bunch of browsers becomes a lot more difficult to arrange.

Why combine them then?

The logical question then indeed is, why would you combine them? Below I have set out 3 clear reasons why combining JMeter and WebDriver scripts can be an excellent idea.

• Impact of server-side load on render-times;
    When the load on a server increases, the response times of various parts of a web application may increase as well. These increased response times can have implications on the render time of the web application. For example: a web application heavy with Ajax requests is put under load, the server response times increase, this may result in all Ajax-requests becoming slower, therefore making the website extremely unfriendly to the end-user. When you just run a JMeter script, this will hardly be noticed, and if you do notice it, you cannot express the impact it will have on the user. You can merely speculate about it.
  • Impact of server-side load on functional behavior;
    Given that the server is experiencing increased load and therefore the business-logic of the application is working hard to handle all requests effectively, it can be safe to say the underlying database may also be stressed and therefore responding slower than expected. Slower response times of both application-logic and database requests can result in buggy behaviour of the application. For example incomplete data returned, or worse, a time-out on data or application-logic. How does the application deal with that? How are these errors reported to the end-user? Will the application still function normally within the browser when certain aspects of the application platform are malfunctioning? The best answer to this is by testing the functionality thoroughly while the application is under load. An easy way to test this repeatedly and consistently is by automating these functional tests, for example using (part of) the automated regression test while the servers are under increased load.
  • Advantage of screenshots of fully rendered pages and possible errors with the application under load;
    As a result of the two points mentioned above, it may be extremely useful for both developers/system engineers and your customer to see errors on the pages affected by the increased server load, such as stylesheets not loading or not loading properly, JavaScript not loading, images missing etc. Screenshots (or screen captures in movie format) will help make clear to the customer what the problem is and more importantly how big the impact on the end-user will be.

I have listed 3 reasons why combining JMeter and WebDriver can be a good idea. I’d love to hear your suggestions of more reasons to want to combine the two.

In a follow-up post I will go into more detail on ways to achieve an effective combination of JMeter and WebDriver running along side each other, well timed and generating consistent logging and results.

Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
JMeter is great as a stand-alone load generator, however when you need a distributed load you'll require high server use
Over the past year I have spent a lot of time in close collaboration with Apache JMeter. I used JMeter as a standalone platform, in collaboration with several tools out there and with my own servers. Over the next few posts I will elaborate a bit more on what I have learned from working with tools like BlazeMeter, Loadosophia as well as working with your own remote servers and Jmeter. On top of that I will share some things I consider good practices to use when working with JMeter and building elaborate test scenarios in it. JMeter and remote servers Meter is great as a stand-alone load generator, however the moment you need to generate a substantial load or a distributed load, you will require the use of more servers. There are several possibilities to add external servers to…

JMeter and remote servers

Meter is great as a stand-alone load generator, however the moment you need to generate a substantial load or a distributed load, you will require the use of more servers. There are several possibilities to add external servers to JMeter. You can use a load generation platform such as BlazeMeter and Flood.io or you can choose to use your own machines (Disclaimer: I have only worked with Flood and BlazeMeter as services, so I only mention these two. There may very well be other services out there I am not (yet) aware of).

Why use your own remote servers?

Although there are several commercial options to run JMeter tests from a cloud-platform, it might be useful to have your own servers running. Your own machines, for example Virtual Private Servers, will give you at least the following advantages, please bear in mind these are the main reasons for me to run private servers. It may very well be that you have different reasons for doing the same (I’d be happy to hear them btw!):

• Availability within firewalls: Not all applications are available outside of firewalls. For quite a lot of companies it is not an option to allow external addresses, especially cloud services, within their firewalled environment. When this is the case in your organisation it can be very useful to have your own load generator hosted inside the firewall.
  • Geographical location: not each and every country has platforms available for load generation. Although platforms like Blazemeter have a lot of different locations available, it may very well be that your particular country is not available through a service provider. However getting your own, hosted, machines within a country is generally not too difficult to do. Keep in mind though whenever you want to use something like a Virtual Private Server to verify with the hosting company whether they allow load generation from within their network!
  • Control: a fairly straightforward reason is in order for you to have full, unlimited control over the load generating servers. If you have your own (virtual) servers running you can easily adjust settings, properties and other things in order to make it fully match your (customers) needs.

Why use a service?

Even though there are quite some reasons for using your own machines, the advantages of using a service like BlazeMeter or Flood.io are plenty, I will just highlight the few that for me have tipped the scales several times in favor of a service.

• Maintenance: Setting up your own servers is time consuming and therefore not cheap. These servers need maintenance even though you quite likely do not constantly need them. A Service is just there. You buy a subscription, be it with a time constraint (monthly) or a load constraint (max amount of concurrent users) or something like that, but the service is simply at your fingertips. The moment you need it, you have it.
  • Multiple locations: the JMeter based services generally make use of the Amazon AWS cloud, thus giving you, the user, an immense amount of servers at your disposal. With this comes a huge worldwide distribution, which can be very advantageous for big world-wide used applications.
  • Support: both mentioned platforms have a very solid support base for their customers. If you have questions, if your tests seem to not run properly or you simply have issues getting something done, there generally is a good support platform available. You can use forums or the actual helpdesk, but either way, there is a good, solid, commercial support-base to help resolve your issues.

In the end, I choose per assignment what best fits my needs. Sometimes I use the VPS, sometimes I use a service. It is important you at least think about what best suits your needs for the test you are about to build and execute.

Senior Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
JMeter helps me in measuring performance of my product very effectively

What is most valuable?

I think CSV data config, regular expressions extractor, reporting and distribution testing are the strengths of JMeter.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes life easier by simulating production scenario to check the performance under heavy load. We are able to find out the bottleneck in our system with the results.

What needs improvement?

Better way to handle dynamic elements, to handle session id, browser cookie and cache manager.

I have used JMeter for around 6-8 months.

No, distributed testing was helpful for scaling the users in JMeter.

Customer Service: 3 out of 5Technical Support: 3 out of 5

Which

What needs improvement?

I have used JMeter for around 6-8 months.

No, distributed testing was helpful for scaling the users in JMeter.

Customer Service: 3 out of 5Technical Support: 3 out of 5

I never used any performance tool before.

Yes, the initial setup IS easy after following the blogs or Apache JMeter page.
Head of Performance with 51-200 employees
Good for vanilla web testing, less so for more complex requirements.
A mature opensource toolset that has been available for many years. Good for vanilla web testing, less so for more complex requirements. Like most opensource offerings it has relatively poor analytics and limited integration with analytics tools like APM although it is relatively easy to extend with plug-ins and there are quite of these available for free download. A good choice where budget is tight and the tech-stack requirement is straight-forward.
it_user5646
QA Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User friendly Java tool, but doesn't support SSL recording or non-web apps

Valuable Features:

1. GUI is very user friendly 2. It's a pure Java tool, which enables me to run it on any platform (i.e. platform independent) 3. Free tool & easy to get.

Room for Improvement:

1. It does not support recording SSL 2. Supports only web based applications 3. Cannot change the recorded scripts

it_user1428
Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Powerful open source with wide community support. Needs experience to match commercial alternatives.
Pros: Open source, powerful, wide community of support - it works. Cons: Experience needed to build custom tools around Jmeter in order to match capabilities of most commercial alternatives.

Pros:
Open source, powerful, wide community of support - it works.

Cons: