Cisco Nexus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Nexus is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Data Center Networking tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: Cisco Nexus vs Cisco Catalyst Switches

What is Cisco Nexus?
The Cisco Nexus family of switches is designed to meet the stringent requirements of the next-generation data center. Not simply bigger or faster, these switches offer the following characteristics: infrastructure that can be scaled cost-effectively and that helps you increase energy, budget, and resource efficiency, transport that can navigate the transition to 10 Gigabit Ethernet and unified fabric and can also handle architectural changes such as virtualization, Web 2.0 applications, and cloud computing and operational continuity to meet your need for an environment where system availability is assumed and maintenance windows are rare if not totally extinct.
Cisco Nexus Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Nexus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco Nexus Customers
Advanced Medical Transport, Banco de Guayaquil, Baylor Scott & White Health, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, Calligaris, Children's Hospital Colorado, City of Biel, Del Papa Distributing, Department of Justice, Dimension Data, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS), Hertz, K&L Gates , LightEdge, Lone Star College System, Management Science Associates, Mindtree, NBC Olympics, Quest, Sony Corporation, The Department of Education in Western Australia, Valley Proteins
Cisco Nexus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Nexus pricing:
  • "The Nexus 9000 is very competitively priced."
  • "I thought that it would be less expensive."

RY
Practice Lead - Data Center Networking at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Performs well, good port flexibility, and scales out easily

What is our primary use case?

I am an engineer and work primarily with our data center network and data center security. The Nexus switch is a data center switch and I have a lot of recent experience with it. My company is a solution provider and this is one of the products that we sell to our clients.

• "The most valuable feature is performance."
  • "There is an ongoing problem with the limitation of the TCAM table, which is that it doesn't have enough memory to allow you to be really granular with your policy."

What other advice do I have?

The Nexus Dashboard is a relatively new product that is in the portfolio for the data center. It hosts the multi-site orchestrator and has functionality for self-healing and self-optimizing of the data center network. It's Nexus' best work. My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that if you're looking to cut costs in the data center, there's not that big of a difference between a Cisco switch and other switches. But, when it comes to things like storage, between the most expensive and the least expensive, there's a lot of different pricing in there. So, I wouldn't cut costs…
Florin Jalencu
IT Specialist at E.ON
Easy to set up with good functionality and a very high capacity

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Nexus on our server-side. We use the product for the access switches layer. We basically take a look at the actual DNA center, however, it will be a time until we will implement the agent from Cisco again.

What other advice do I have?

In general, Cisco products are excellent and we've been really happy with them. I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a perfect ten.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Nexus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Omer Mohammed
Senior System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with an easy initial setup and good storage

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the Nexus Series, that's the 7000 Series, as a core switch. We have other 10-gauge switches to work as a server switch.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "The licensing is very complicated. They should work to simplify it."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Cisco customers. We work with the 7000 series. I'd advise users to always know their organization's business needs. If you figure out your business needs, it will help you invest economically. If you don't know your business needs, whether it's Cisco or VMware, they'll try to sell you all types of products - sometimes items you won't use or need. Overall, we're quite happy with Cisco. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.
MD
Senior Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable but needs to offer more integration capabilties

What is our primary use case?

The solution is our aggregation switch. We have all our data services, and users (not end-users) services going through our Nexus. It connects our firewalls and it connects other switches and makes our load balances work. Basically, we were given the switch and then we configured it and we will put it in the network and we maintain it.

• "You can scale the product."
  • "It would be ideal if there was better integration with various other platforms."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. It's my understanding that we are using version 9, however, I cannot speak to if what we are on is the latest version or not. In our organization, there are hundreds of engineers. There are multiple teams. I work in a team that looks after the data center and we are on-premises, although there is also a cloud team. From an operations perspective, when I look at service availability and the number of failures, I'd say the solution is probably about a seven out of ten. I would recommend the solution to other users. It is tried and tested in our network, and it…
LS
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Fast and professional support but it is not reliable, and the stability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly for the data center and or a yacht. They were used as core switches on a three-layer network. They were the core level for a 90-meter yacht. They were connected with a fiber single-mode backbone.

• "When it comes to data centers, Cisco Nexus is the best."
  • "The flexibility and configuration could be better."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation would be with Cisco Catalyst. I prefer Catalyst over Nexus because of its flexibility and reliability. I only used Nexus one time and don't have a good comparison. I would rate it a seven out of ten.
YA
Co-Founder and CEO at PT Eugenea Kreasi Utama
Great GUI, user-friendly, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a switch. We use it for our data center.

• "Technical support has been very, very helpful and they offer good SLAs."
  • "The solution is more expensive than other options on the market."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user. I would recommend using Cisco Nexus for those who want good performance, premium support, and easy maintenance. Cisco Nexus is a stable product in Indonesia. If a company is in the banking, oil and gas, or telecom industries, they should look into this product. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
WF
Manager IP Core and Transmission Networks at GO PLC
We found it to be the only product with Multi-Tenancy

• "From a data center implementation, with respect to competition from your data, there isn't really a product recovery for the different tests other than Cisco Nexus. For example, if you take Multi-tenancy for the data center, it's something which, I think, only Cisco has. There are some implementation from HP, but I think it's limited there."
  • "One of the biggest challenges, which I see is that there's a constant evolution in the product. For example, our configuration is based on what is known as traditional data center implementation. Today there is the ACI deployment and to implement, to migrate from one technology to another, that's challenging both from a configuration perspective and also from a cost perspective."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco Nexus Switches. Of course, there is the ACI deployment and the challenges there. It is always a challenge to keep up with the technology. They are just constantly doing some updates and changes and becoming the modern marketer is challenging. So in the past fiscal year for data center and every JSS deployment things are much more complicated. I would give it an eight on a scale of ten, because of the problem which we had. I'm just thinking in respect of competition.
JC
Network Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, easy to develop, good support, but it's expensive and needs a better GUI

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for Data Center switches.

• "I like the fact that they are a well-supported product."
  • "I am looking for a GUI that goes alongside them and more SD-WAN built to their core switches."

What other advice do I have?

To others who are interested in this solution, I would say that if you have the money to spend and you want you to want to branch out to the rest of the world, then you should use this solution. I would rate Cisco Nexus a seven out of ten.
See 10 more Cisco Nexus Reviews
Download our free Cisco Nexus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.