Cisco Wireless OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Wireless is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Aruba Wireless: Cisco Wireless vs Aruba Wireless

What is Cisco Wireless?
With Cisco Wireless you will successfully plan, deploy, monitor, troubleshoot, and report on indoor and outdoor wireless networks - all from a centralized location.

Cisco Wireless is also known as Cisco WLAN Controller.

Cisco Wireless Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Wireless Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco Wireless Customers
Aegean Motorway, Baylor Scott & White Health, Beachbody, Bellevue, Brunel University London, Bucks County Intermediate Unit , Chartwell School, Children's Hospital Colorado, Cisco Live Milan, City of Biel, City of Mississauga, Dundee Precious Metals, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Erickson Living, Goldcorp, Great Ormond Street Hospital, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS)
Cisco Wireless Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Ravi Ramachandran
Senior Manager - Pre Sales at Emarson Infotech Pvt Ltd
Reseller
Easier Manageability and in depth visibility of the entire wireless network

What is our primary use case?

We as a system integrators provide wireless solution for big enterprise and PSU's. This solution primarily focuses on giving secured wireless access to employees and internet access to guests.

• "Our organization has improved using this product because it helps enhance user experience. We use video communication a lot, like Skype. We used to get a lot of interference before and had a lot of issues during wireless voice or video calls. We get greater speed and performance with wireless now. It is nearly the same as a wired network."
  • "The product could be improved with interference reduction. Because wireless frequency interferes with microwave or Bluetooth technologies, this causes issues. A lot of users still use legacy wireless adapters and black box and they do not experience the speed that they could get using the latest technologies. The number of devices on the market makes wireless communications complex. If the problem of interference could be resolved it would further improve utility and ease of system design."

What other advice do I have?

Whatever solution used, the design of the wireless network is the most important part of how well it works. I would plan on putting in 60% of the effort to the design and 40% to the deployment. In the designing phase, you must actually get into the network, look for interference issues, create proper wireless heat maps and place the wireless network connection points in the exact location where it is required. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
DC
IT Infrastructure Architect at Plexus Corp.
Works reliably but the licensing is expensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is the provision of standard wireless access.

How has it helped my organization?

Service delivery is critical in our organization. Wireless access has enabled users to be mobile and as a result, more productive.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature for us is the standard service delivery. Once configured correctly, it is 95% reliable.

What needs improvement?

The cost model is expensive. The new licensing has no added value and seems to be Cisco's effort to take advantage of customers.

More than ten years.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FawziSIYOUCEF
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Access to Real-Time Connectivity and Roaming Without Dropping Your Connection

What is our primary use case?

We have two main objectives. One is to provide a secure access network, that's secure wireless access across the network to our customers. The other is to provide access to our guests. Now, with the new centrally managed solution, we are able to leverage the interaction with the product and the different security solutions in the market.

• "This increased mobility has helped our organization. We can talk to one another from different locations and stay in constant contact and with employees across the enterprise. Everyone has access to up-to-the-minute communications and all documents and applications on our network."
  • "Improvements can be made to the telemetry. The licensing gets in the way here. It makes it impossible to record the different flows across the wireless network."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to be prepared. Understand your needs. Undertake a very clear site survey to be in a position to present the best-adjusted solution. If you don't do your due diligence you can buy a very good product response, but it won't resolve the wireless coverage problem; the key is to deploy a strategic wireless solution and adjust the parameters as needed. As well as being able to scope access points. I rate this solution an 8 out of 10. I give it an 8 because it's a general rating of the overall product. Cisco is a network and security technology…
SS
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution for those who need security

What is our primary use case?

I use the Cisco wireless network at my company. I also sell all of the Cisco solutions, and most of these are for wireless networks. I also sell the related security products.

• "Security is an important feature for my customers, and I am able to offer this to them with our Cisco products."
  • "The classic Cisco wireless interface is difficult for users to learn."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
IT
Technology Manager at International School Of Dakar
User
Helps with the visibility on our network

What is our primary use case?

Solve WiFi problems, getting the best WiFi coverage. This was our challenge. The addition of different WLANs by division pushed us to change the configuration of our controller, DHCP and the RADIUS server with NPS.

• "It helps with the visibility on our network."

What other advice do I have?

I noticed with the 1552E access points, the local mode has more coverage than the flexconnect mode.
    SA
    Assistant Manager ICT at Fauji Foods Limited
    Their manageability is very good

What is our primary use case?

I have Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and wireless access points installed on my corporate network.

How has it helped my organization?

They are good, but my observation is that their signal strength and range is not that good. But their manageability is very good.

What is most valuable?

Manageability.

What needs improvement?

Signal strength and range.

PN
    Technical Account Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to use but the configuration interface could be easier

What is our primary use case?

It's very useful in terms of mobility. Before this solution you would have to find a product to connect to and to have a security ICU. Now it's much easier with personal customization.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The configuration interface could be easier. They should make roaming easier and should fix it so that when you cross a building you can keep the signal.

It has very good scalability.

I would rate their technical support a seven out of ten because the solution's support can always use improvement.

We…
    RR
    Network and Security Team at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
    Easy setup but it's complicated to integrate a network access control with authentication with an ISE engine

What is our primary use case?

We have an ISE solution, WiFi controller, Access Points, and a wifi controller. We have to integrate all of these components with each other and we do that with Cisco's solution and a local Cisco partner. The performance is better than before. We had an issue with the phone wifi but no other real issues. It fully integrates with ISE.

• "The initial setup was quite easy. We have a very good relationship with our integrator and our integrator has a good relationship with Cisco. The integrator that installs Cisco is quite knowledgeable about the technology. They are trained and have a good relationship with their tech. We cannot be experts in each domain and we have to be supported by an integrator."
    • "When you integrate a network access control with authentication with an ISE engine it's really complicated to put in place."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten and I would recommend this solution.
    CU
    Network Consultant at Destek A.Ş.
    It's a bit expensive but it's professional and works properly

How has it helped my organization?

It's cloud-based. We only work with on-premise devices and usually the prices are good for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The license and prices are great.

Their technical support is very good and important.

The initial setup is basic and simple.

I implemented myself.

It's a bit expensive but it's professional and works properly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. No product can be a ten out of ten and there are some security issues.
    MO
    Senior Operation Manager at ATG Systems
    Has easy digital effects, it's easy to use, and has good stability but their technical support can take too long to resolve issues

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are in the office or on campus and they don't like to use cables so they use Wireless. We are partners with Cisco and our customers ask us which kind of product to use, we also have access to Cisco Advisor so we advise our clients to use Cisco Wireless.

• "Cisco Wireless is mostly stable with a low downrate and the signal rate is good. It is also easy to use."
    • "One of our customers complained about the ripple, that some of the data was incorrect. We opened a ticket and brought it to their attention that maybe some of the data was not correct. As of now, it has been two months since we opened the ticket and the issue still hasn't been resolved."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this product to use it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten because it has easy digital effects, it's easy to use and, has good stability.
    Owner at JOAT
    The devices and licensing aren't worth the cost and the range of APs are mediocre at best

What is our primary use case?

A small office at the time that needed the ability to host network services that changed daily.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall cost per unit including licensing was too high for the value. The range of the APs was not excellent but mediocre at best.

What is most valuable?

The ability to control any device from the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Significantly reduce the licensing fees.

Checking out alternatives right now.

Don't use Cisco Meraki. While pretty, the devices and licensing aren't worth the cost.
    RD
    President/Owner at RDC Networks
    Advanced security category blocking is a great way to secure what people are doing and seeing

What is our primary use case?

We implement this in the hospitality industry and need to control internal secure LAN/Wi-Fi users and offer external Wi-Fi to our customers while keeping the system secure. This product allows us to do that.
    MF
    Network Specialist at Bethel Park School District

What is our primary use case?

We have over 5000 students in grades 1-12 and have on average 200 users on wireless during school hours with no issues.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had Cisco 3502, 3602 and 3702 access points, a total of 284 diploids. And for over five years, we've only had two access points that failed.

What is most valuable?

The configuration is simple. The controllers are reliable, and the support is second to none.  The system works for us.

What needs improvement?

Price is a concern. Although Cisco has an excellent solution, being competitive in the market is important.

Three to five years.
    Grant Dickson
    Presales Engineer with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    The most valuable feature for us is the management of the systems.

What is our primary use case?

Right now, this is our primary connection for the network. We have all of our end devices connect to that. All workers connect to wireless, rather than a wired connection, so they all have laptops.

• "The most valuable feature for us is management of the systems. We can easily access all features."
    • "Probably more in terms of how much power it's using. Right now it just seems like it doesn't have enough power. Maybe that is all indicated, but says exactly how much power it's using."
    it_user901734
    User at renault
    RX-SOP helps to optimize roaming, but the controller web-interface could be better

• "There are a lot of valuable features and functions. One example is CleanAir to detect and troubleshoot interference issues. Another is RX-SOP to optimize roaming."
    • "The web interface for Cisco controllers could be better. It could be more user-friendly. Sometimes I have to remember how to access some functionalities or how to enable or execute some functions. If it were more user-friendly it would save time."

What other advice do I have?

I started first with the 1440, without a wireless controller in an autonomous access point. Two years after that, I moved to the 2504 Wireless Controller - a 40-access-point deployment. The next year I was working in a car manufacturer's warehouse. I managed three warehouses. One of them was a 5520 with 300 access points. Another site was with the 5508 with less than 200 access points. I would rate Cisco Wireless at seven out of 10 because, when we compare it with other solutions like Aruba or Aerohive, Cisco is behind in technology and just a little more expensive. Aerohive, as I mentioned…
    Muklit Chopra
    Technical Specialist at Wipro Technologies
    Installation is easy and the Guest feature works well

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for enabling the users to connect wirelessly to the network, to give them seamless mobility if they go to a meeting room. It's always-on connectivity.

• "The Guest feature is pretty good."
    • "Sometimes I've seen some issues come up with the interference. That's an issue users face at times. It becomes very complex when you have a lot of wireless interference in the area, or in your office. It's because of the environment of Cisco. Maybe, in the future, they can work on this area, and fix this issue."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco wireless is a pretty good product. I would definitely recommend buying it. If you are looking for a wireless solution I would definitely recommend going with Cisco Wireless. I rate Cisco Wireless at about eight out of 10. It's pretty good, it's very compatible with other Cisco products.
    VP
    Senior Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Allows us to logically to segregate traffic between multiple types of endpoint devices

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Wireless FlexConnect mode is for branches where the traffic can be switched locally. There is centralized switching for the corporate side where the wireless controller will be in the headquarters, and the branches will only have access points. We have the flexibility to use Cisco's FlexConnect for the branches and centralized switching for the corporate network. Combining these feature ensures the traffic flow for the wireless is being controlled and provides the best wireless scenario for the branches. You don’t need to go to the controller each and every time.

• "Cisco Wireless technology allows us to logically segregate networks, to segregate the traffic between multiple types of endpoint devices, connected to the network. For example, corporate laptops are connected to one network, corporate iPhones will go through a different network."
    • "With Cisco Wireless we have DNA technology for the frequency in which it operates, so that in case of any frequency interference it can look for and switch to another frequency, where there no interference."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Wireless has been around for quite some time. Cisco is a leader and its Wireless product is very reliable, so investing in it is a safe bet. I would rate this solution at eight out of 10 because of the availability of support, and its stability. My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are the * product knowledge * support from the vendor and the availability of the technical staff to support it.
      TA
      Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
      Secure solution, it's easy to distribute the SSID, and I like the controller

What is our primary use case?

We use it to distribute our internet connection. We use it in some departments for accessing systems, but in the main, it is for internet access. The performance of the network, the connection and stability, are very good. Perfect.

• "The main features are that it's secure and it's easy to distribute the SSID and control it. I also like the controller."
      • "There is a problem with the controller. When we have to restart the controller, it does not show the time. We have to manually configure the time when we restart it. I have read about this issue, to get some information, and all answers are about having to connect it with a time server, which is very difficult."

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly advise any company, but especially in business, to use this wireless solution. I rate Cisco Wireless at nine out of 10 because, as I said, I like the performance, stability, the easy implementation and the controller. There is just that one problem with the controller, so that's why I gave it a nine and not 10.
      it_user572145
      Manager Corporate IT at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Provides good coverage and the stability is the best part of the solution

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is for wireless connectivity.

• "The most valuable feature is the coverage."
      • "The GUI could be made more user-friendly. There should also be a dashboard where it can showcase how many end-users are connected to a particular access point."

What other advice do I have?

When implementing this solution, you require the right partner to be in place to support it, that is the first requirement. I would rate this solution at nine out of 10. The best part of the solution is the stability. Also, the easy usage of the switches They are automatically switched on and get their configuration. I don't need any technical person to look at it.
      it_user504159
      CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Authentication enables employees from around the world to log in with their own credentials

What is our primary use case?

I have deployed it in a factory. I have a lot of people who come to visit from all over the globe. People come from Southeast Asia, from Europe, from South America, from the US, etc. We need to have a common platform wherein people who visit are able to log in to the corporate network. They do not need to do a guest login, they can just log in as they usually do. That's the primary use.

• "Authentication is the important feature for us. My IT staff no longer has to look after catering to clients who come from overseas."

What other advice do I have?

Up until now, it has been a good product, so go ahead with it. It works well. We have been happy with it for the last four years.
        Nabin Dev
        CCIE, Sr. Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
        FlexConnect allows us to have multiple locations and a central WLC to control them

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide Wi-Fi solutions at business centers, malls, for healthcare, and in public parks.

• "For me, there are two important features: 1) WLAN grouping – Allows us to have different groups and, within those groups, specific WLANs, so there is no overlapping. 2) FlexConnect – Enables us to have remote offices at different locations. We can have a central WLC to control all the locations."
        • "There is room for improvement regarding HA issues and Radius integration."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Wireless at eight out of 10 because of its ease of installation on virtual platforms, on appliances. It is easy to maintain and configurations are straightforward. It provides the flexibility to create and integrate with many social Wi-Fi solutions. It is a reliable and stable solution. The ROI is very good.
        it_user524856
        Network Enginer with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Identity PSK helps save SSIDs but software quality for Aironet Series APs needs work

What is most valuable?

Identity PSK helps save SSIDs.

What needs improvement?

The software quality could be improved, in particular for the new Cisco Aironet Series 2800/3800 Access Point which is pretty Linux-based.

We have encountered issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Tech support could be improved. It really depends on the TAC engineer you happen to have on the phone.

Previously we used Cisco WiSM and then WiSM2.

The initial setup was pretty…
        it_user908133
        Manager / IoT Evangelist Solution Business Strategy at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
        Secure solution that enables us to do video and web conferencing

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is its security"

What other advice do I have?

Security and support are important factors when looking at this kind of solution. Cisco is more expensive but you have to compare the security and support you are getting. The support, in particular, is very critical, especially if you are in a conference call and the sound breaks off. You need them to get back to you quickly. Cisco is a large company, the number-one company, and those are important factors when selecting a vendor. The other factor is the pricing, in addition to support and security. I rate Cisco Wireless at 10 out of 10 because I have never had a problem. I am a happy…
          CB
          Senior Network Administrator at Lebanese American Univeristy
          User
          Device profiling allows us to have different policies applied, but many wireless controllers' firmware have bugs in their new releases

What is our primary use case?

We use it for WiFi for Internet, Intranet access, and VOIP in a high density area campus environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Wireless Voice over IP (VOIP) on a diversity of VOIP phones along with Cisco Jabber, Cisco phones, and Ascom.

What is most valuable?

Device profiling allows us to have different policies applied by ISE to wireless clients.

What needs improvement?

Many wireless controllers' firmware have bugs in their new releases, which are not stable, especially in an environment with many wireless AP (WAP) types.

Sr. IT Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
          We are able to handle a high volume of large data transfers

What is our primary use case?

To provide better WiFi reception in our office suite, while using fewer APs to cover the space.

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to handle a high volume of large data transfers, incorporating office maps for placement and MDM control.

What is most valuable?

Coverage Mesh design PoE Web interface access Simplicity and aesthetics

What needs improvement?

The model we are using (Meraki MR16) has already been discontinued, for a better product line, so I believe the improvements needed have already been addressed.

Three to five years.

The coverage range is far superior to the model that we were using.
          Network Architect at ProCom Consulting
          MSP
          The ability to deploy and seamlessly manage wireless devices at our corporate office and remote locations

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Wireless gave us the ability to deploy and seamlessly manage wireless devices at our corporate office and remote locations.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us the ability to view wireless traffic, unwanted devices on the network, and how they affected overall network performance.

What is most valuable?

The ability to deploy wireless access points with templates. The ability to use campus maps to see access point coverage.

What needs improvement?

Most definitely the cost.

More than five years.

I am not a fan of Cisco's software pricing model. Their management software is far too expensive.
          HK
          Wireless Network Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
          Makes network configuration easier, the hardware is very reliable

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion would be to go with Cisco products.
          it_user840198
          IT Director at a educational organization with 1-10 employees
          Allows us to deploy a wide range of wireless products with stable WiFi

What is our primary use case?

Devices are used across campuses covering three elementary schools and one high school; over 1000 students. The devices that are in use are MR33 with 200 installed. Hardware features: * Three radios: 2.4 and 5 GHz, dual-band WIDS/WIPS * 2-stream 802.11ac and 802.11n, up to 1.3 Gbps * Integrated BLE radio * 2x2 MU-MIMO 802.11ac Wave 2 * Up to 1.3 Gbps aggregate dual-band frame rate * 802.3af PoE compatible

• "The switches can even detect cable issues which quite often can be the main cause for a call-out within my business."

What other advice do I have?

The device works very well and distributes a good signal across the four sites. Overall, during my brief use of the Meraki MR33, I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of its features. Deploying a full Meraki system provides even more features, allowing you to break down the network and identify specific points of failure. The switches can even detect cable issues which quite often can be the main cause for a call-out within my business. I would rate it nine out of 10.
            Michael Rhoades
            Manager Information Technology at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            The controller is hard to beat; we can deploy our network anywhere we need it

What is our primary use case?

We have an advanced pervasive Cisco wireless deployment across five sites in the US. We are an industrial manufacturer that has a very harsh RF environment. We make powder metal which, when in the air, makes wireless a nightmare. We use/have used: Cisco 5520, 5508, 4400, 3504, 2504 and NME-AIR (ISR based module) controllers. * APs today are 2800 and 1500 Series APs. We have in the past used 1200, 3500 Series APs. * We do a large wireless VOIP deployment at all sites too using Cisco 7921 and 8821 wireless phones. * We do OEAP WLC for teleworkers with 1810t APs connected to a 3504 in our DMZ *… more »
            it_user842922
            Team Lead - Network and System Engineer at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
            Clean Air Solution can detect non-WiFi signals, change channel to avoid unwanted signals

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is for connecting staff and students' laptops, iPads, and Chromebooks.

• "This product has a Clean Air Solution, which means it can detect non-WiFi signals. It not only signals but it can also detect that what type of device it is coming from. And if it needs to change the channel in order to avoid that unwanted signal, it can do so and that way the client machine will have better performance."
            • "If needs to provide more visibility. It can detect and do it, but as technicians we don't have a lot of visibility into seeing exactly what's happening. It doesn't give us a lot of log information for us to troubleshoot. They probably have additional software you need to purchase to get that kind of information. But I think not all companies can afford additional software to see those kinds of details. So if the wireless controller already had, built-in, those types of things for the technician or wireless engineer, it would be more attractive for the end-user."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this Cisco solution an eight out of 10. To bring it up to a 10, as I mentioned earlier, you have to get a Cisco Prime in order to view signal strength and what's going on, which is an additional cost. You have to buy another product to manage WLC, so why not have Cisco Prime built into WLC so there is one product? That way you wouldn't need to have to buy additional software or licenses to manage WLC. It's basically: WLC manages access points, Prime manages WLC. So why not all under one umbrella, that way you don't have to jump through multiple pages to look and troubleshoot. If all is…
            it_user836463
            Operations at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
            Captive guest network is one of the best, but AP concurrent client processing needs work

What is our primary use case?

Survey/design and deploy Cisco Wireless (3500/3600/3700) in hospitals/universities. The object was 100% coverage with RTLS support. The challenges are RF propagation control and saturation with RRM. Another is future-proofing capacity. In the 3700 series, ATF was the limiting factor in Cisco’s solution.

• "Compared to other solutions, captive guest network is one of the best isolation and tunneling."
            • "The ability to disable RRM or set hybrid RRM provides a more granular design of RF in the environment."
            • "Improvement needed in RRM, ATF, Ortho-Polarization, AP concurrent client processing."

What other advice do I have?

I’ve been working with Cisco Wireless since 2008. Although CPI and controllers have come a long way, the AP is the limiting factor. There are a lot of assumptions in the controller algorithm. Don’t just conduct a passive survey. Set up three APs and do an active survey with RRM enabled among three. Cisco’s wireless solution is a seven out of 10, in my experience, compared to other solutions. It has limitations on the polarization processing.
            Claudio Rosa
            System Engineer at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
            Supports real-time applications such as VoIP and Video Conferencing over wireless

• "It can provide support for real-time applications, such as VoIP and Video Conferencing over wireless infrastructure."
            • "The bind configuration between a physical port and an IP address is missing."
            it_user423258
            IT Admin at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
            Coming from another network vendor background I was surprised at how easy the controller was to configure.

What other advice do I have?

The underlying wired infrastructure is important, make sure it has enough capacity so avoid causing bottlenecks on the wireless network. If possible keep the network on a specific vendor for ease of management and support.
            it_user195360
            Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            There's no logical order to setup what you need, but with some reading, it's totally feasible.

What is most valuable?

Security features

How has it helped my organization?

We can deploy a simple guest captive portal to allow guests to connect to the internet.

What needs improvement?

More languages on the captive portal.

I've been using Cisco WLAN Controller 2106 for about one year.

I had to reboot the controller a couple of times to force correct EAP key exchange.

Since it's a very small controller, I was already prepared for a small deployment.

How are customer service and

it_user184644
            Senior Network Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
            The monitoring system has room for improvement however centralized management is a valuable feature

What other advice do I have?

The Cisco WLC has many features. Plan carefully which to use before you start to implement.
            Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
            Guest WiFi is an option but older WAP's can be an issue as the firmware makes them problematic

What is most valuable?

Scalability

How has it helped my organization?

Multiple SSID's Ability to offer WI-FI to guest in a secure environment

What needs improvement?

None.

Two years. (WLC 5508)

Older WAP's can be an issue as the firmware makes them problematic. Requires upgrading the WLC firmware to see units properly.

None.

Customer Service: 8 out of 10. Technical Support: 8 out of 10.

Several. Cisco is more scalable and actually less costly…
            IT Networks and Security Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Pros: certificate authentication, ACL for Guests. Cons: Reporting, Active Passive Failover on Controller.

What other advice do I have?

Fantastic product for an indoor wireless solution. Smooth seamless AP handover, excellent Tech support, integration with other peripherals (AD, Cert server, SIEM etc.) and stable hardware. These are the reasons you should choose this product.
            IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
            Central control of all APs is a valuable feature. Better training is needed.

What is most valuable?

Central controlling of all APs.

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled the organization to become cable-free.

What needs improvement?

Training support for clients is needed.

3 years - Cisco Wlan Controller 5508

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Middle.

No other solution was used.

Pretty Straightforward. …
            it_user173814
            Manager, IT Infrastructure at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
            The ability to group APs to specific VLANs gives us a lot of flexibility. The GUI needs work.

What other advice do I have?

No, we stuck we Cisco since that's what we have been using all these years.
            it_user172686
            Network Administrator & Information at a media company with 501-1,000 employees

What other advice do I have?

Have clear ideas about the requirements or goals for the company before implementation and have a good case study.
            Senior Manager of Network at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
            Reliable product. Ability to handle huge amounts of traffic needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

No configuration required on access points and better monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been deploying in different companies and their wireless communication has improved.

What needs improvement?

Access Points are unable to handle huge traffic and if one user start downloading other user bandwidth speed is affected.

Multiple Times. 4402, 4404, 5508

Yes we did have issues. The start access points were unable to join the controller but we managed. There was an issue with User Authentication with lDAP.

None encountered.

it_user172665
            Network Engineer with 51-200 employees
            MSP
            Simple to have a guest network but cost could be improved

What is most valuable?

Unified management, reporting, stability, and most importantly seamless roaming

How has it helped my organization?

Network wide SSID’s and passkeys help the day to day function of the IT staff. Simple to have a guest network.

What needs improvement?

The cost could be improved.

2 Years

Deployment for the WLAN controllers is very simple with a proper plan of your organization’s requirements. I have deployed this across large university campuses, vpn tunnels, and small businesses.

I have had very few issues with appliances or access points dropping off.

What do I think about the scalability of the

it_user172002
            Specialist IT Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Management & Monitoring features need to be improved. Integration with other Cisco products is helpful.

What other advice do I have?

That is a good solution, pay attention on Compatibility Matrix with some APs.