Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Overview

Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor is the #26 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor?
With Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor, you can automate and centralize the collection and analysis of all of this data - and get a single, comprehensive view of your data protection environment and activities. With automated monitoring, analysis, and reporting across your backup and recovery infrastructure, replication technologies, storage platforms, enterprise applications and virtual environment, you will be able to more effectively manage service levels while reducing costs and complexity

Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor is also known as DPA.

Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Customers

Nielsen, Trek Bicycle, Cal-Israel Credit Cards

Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor pricing:
  • "You have to procure the license when you are ordering or quoting for Dell Data Protection Suite (DPS). DPS is bundled with the suite and comes with a license. However, if you purchase NetWorker separately then you will have to procure the license for DPS separately."
  • "It's not very expensive — I think the price is fair."

MT
Data Protection Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, flexible, configurable dashboards, and effective script capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor to receive reports on the health of the daily backups of our data in our organization. The reports give us information in many areas, such as capacity, compression, high and lowest deduplication, workloads, and the number of failures.

• "The solution is easy to use, flexible and has a lot of out-of-the-box functionality. You can configure the dashboards or you can use a script. However, to fully utilize its capabilities you will want to use a lot of scripts which you will need advanced training. The reports can be customized for many things, such as chargeback billing."
  • "There is a steep learning curve to use the interface and to create new reports, this could be made easier. If the solution could provide more drag and drop functionality to build more advanced reports that would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if you are using Dell EMC, DPA is a must. You are going to need a good reporting tool and DPA is the tool that is required to provide that level of reporting. It is worth noting, DPA comes with the same data protection advisor bundled with Integrated Data Protection Appliance (IDPA) and you would be using the same reports. I rate Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor an eight out of ten.
DP
Enterprise Backup Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Enables you to make informed decisions faster with increased efficiency

What is our primary use case?

Our use is limited to backup and recovery.

• "It has a lot of stock reports. I believe over 300 canned reports, which for the most part meet a lot of generic needs."
  • "They should empower their customers with the ability to upgrade this solution as long as it's in the same major release."

What other advice do I have?

Know your client and understand their policies. Licensing is a big one, which a lot of people get messed over. overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.
Learn what your peers think about Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RF
Associate Specialist at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good protocols and data center with good stability

• "The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment typically takes about one hour. You just need one person to handle the deployment process."
  • "Customization of reports or creating new reports can be difficult. Users need to have a deep knowledge of SQL. 70-80% of customers can't seem to understand how to do it. They don't know how to address reporting. If Dell EMC could simplify it, it would benefit the end-user."

What other advice do I have?

We're a gold partner with Dell EMC. The clients that we have on the solution are medium to enterprise-level organizations. I'd advise others to see if there's a data center solution and not just an extension of the backup. You also need to edit the data to show what you want and you'll want to set up and get the reports that apply to your specific needs. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I really like it, but they do need to address the difficulties surrounding reporting to make it perfect.
Anteneh Asnake
Modern Data Center and Cloud Engineer II at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
A stable solution with detailed reporting features

What is our primary use case?

We have one customer that uses this solution. We have one technical team member that handles all maintenance-related issues.

• "It generates very detailed reports, which makes things easier when it comes to IT auditing."
  • "It's a bit difficult for first-time users."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.
RE
IT Architecture at PETROCI
Has good compression and deduplication features with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backups.

• "The most valuable aspects of the solution are the compression and the duplication."
  • "The solution requires more integration with our other solutions. I know that they have full integration with VMware because it is also from EMC. However, we have to have better integration with Microsoft and Nutanix as well."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd recommend it; it's a very strong solution.
Download our free Dell EMC Data Protection Advisor Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.