DX Spectrum Overview

DX Spectrum is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Network Management Applications. It is most often compared to DX NetOps: DX Spectrum vs DX NetOps

What is DX Spectrum?
CA Spectrum can enable your organization to discover, optimize and improve its infrastructure and the business services running on top of it. By delivering large-enterprise scalability, robust features and superior root cause analysis, this solution can help your organization effectively manage its dynamic, complex IT infrastructure including physical, virtual and cloud environments as well as network virtualization.

DX Spectrum is also known as CA Spectrum.

DX Spectrum Buyer's Guide

Download the DX Spectrum Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

DX Spectrum Customers
National Informatics Centre India, Banese, Olympus, AlphaServe Technologies, Sicredi
DX Spectrum Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Advanced Solutions - Sr. Strategy Advisor at GDT - General Datatech
Improved our network assurance levels for our business units

What is our primary use case?

Global deployment for AIG NOC Deployment in customer networks, as well as multi-tenant deployment at Affiliated Computer Services (ACS)

How has it helped my organization?

The Spectrum tool improved our network assurance levels for our business units. However, the CA Technologies sales team destroyed their relationship with our business units.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring The dashboard

What needs improvement?

It needs better integration with other CA products.

More than five years.
IB
Coordenador de Suporte - Command Center at Agility Networks
User
All networks are monitored through CA Spectrum. OS monitoring needs to be better developed.

What is our primary use case?

We migrated all monitoring, which was previously monitored by the Applications Manager for CA Spectrum/CA eHealth.

How has it helped my organization?

All networks (or network equipment) are monitored through CA Spectrum. However, the service monitoring part of the tool is not the best solution.

What is most valuable?

For networks: CA Spectrum CA eHealth For applications: CA UIM Zabbix has always supported us in custom monitoring, scripting, etc.

What needs improvement?

OS monitoring needs to be better developed, as well as their services, e.g., cluster monitoring, URLs, etc.

Three to five years.
Learn what your peers think about DX Spectrum. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Support Engineer Management Area at Acuntia
User
Easy to understand and determine when and/or where the network is failing

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to monitor networks.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to understand and determine when and/or where the network is failing.

What is most valuable?

All the features are working fine.

What needs improvement?

Make it easier to certify devices.

More than five years.
Communication Systems Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Monitors countless machines for us; we know when something is down and needs fixing

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring. We set it up so that other people can watch everything and let us know if something goes down, or processing needs to be restarted. Then, sometimes, it just does that on its own. Air conditioner overheating. Stuff like that. For the most part it has been good. There were snags in the beginning, learning curves, and the like, but it's relatively easy.

• "The monitoring just comes to us: "Oh, there's something wrong with that machine." It tells us. There are some 50,000 machines or so, all doing different things. And if they go down we hear about it."
  • "If they could interact with the MIBs of vendors better, and have a lot more pre-loaded ones, that would be amazing for us right now."

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * knowledgeable tech support * reasonable forums * documentation. I give it an eight out of 10 because it's not perfect, but it's better than a lot of what's out there. There is still a lot of work you need to do on it. Even though it's a vendor product there is still a lot of support you have to have to get certain things. Again, we have a very diverse environment; Cisco stuff, air conditioners. To get all that to work to it's full potential with this product, monitoring-wise, is work. So if there was more interconnectivity already in it…
JS
Network Systems Integration Engineer at University of Michigan Health System
Video Review
Allows us to have a holistic view of our heterogeneous network architecture

• "It helps our NetOps group actually handle alarms in a way that lets them see the bigger picture of those alarms, and how they might affect our services. It helps us communicate information about the network state better to services that might be impacted by a specific network condition."
  • "As the kind of enterprise that straddles the line between telco size and enterprise size, it scales for us, because we're not all the way at telco yet."
  • "The Spectrum OneClick is a Java-based client, and that's aging. Really, before any new feature integration, I'd love to see a comprehensive rebuild of the UI."
  • "The upgrade process could be smoother. More of the steps around upgrading could be automated."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, the most important consideration is product; it has to be product and features. I'd give it an eight out of 10 right now, because it does what we need it to do. It could go an extra 20 percent somewhere.
Program Manager - Enterprise Command Center at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides easy navigation from alert to topology to detail on NW infra and relationships.

What is our primary use case?

Fault Domain isolation is the primary use case for our teams with this tool. Once configured, it centralizes alerting on conditions that would require an experienced NW engineer to investigate at the command prompt.
Senior Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
It is very stable. We have not had any major issues in over 10 years.

What is our primary use case?

Monitoring our network devices and our weighing devices out to our clients. It is an awesome product. It works really well.

• "​It covers a lot of different types of hardware. It can do a lot and saves us time.​"
  • "It is very stable. We have not had any major issues in over 10 years."
  • "A better integration with the UIM, as far as being able to do root cause analysis and that type of analytics."

What other advice do I have?

I would consider this at the top for doing this type of monitoring. Sometimes it can be overly complex, but at the same time, it does give you a lot of capabilities. It is complex in just the varieties and the capabilities it has. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Combination of meeting the requirements and the cost.
Senior Enterprise Monitoring Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Monitors our infrastructure and reduces unnecessary operations alerts significantly

What is our primary use case?

We use Spectrum to monitor our infrastructure, servers, network, routers, switches, to make sure that all of our services and infrastructure components are all up and operational all the time. And if they're not, we're responsible for alerting the people who are responsible for the different components and parts. It's a pretty important part of our operational M.O. as we move forward, making sure stuff is up and running. The performance has been fantastic.

• "​The stability of the product is key. It never breaks, really. The stability and reliability of the Spectrum product have been top-notch.​"
  • "Needs better integration with all the other products in the Agile suite of tools; anything they could do to make that less complex, would be great."
  • "If nobody else has said the documentation needs improvement, let's go there. I understand, you can either write about it or you can do it. And most of us would rather they do it, but now that they've done it, those of us that didn't do it, we need to go and find: "Where did they write about this to tell us how to do it?" That's always lacking."

What other advice do I have?

You look around and see there are a lot of home-grown things, and multiple different solutions from different vendors that just don't work together, or they can't work together for whatever reason. One thing I like about the one-stop shop with CA is we don't have to have staff to be experts in 84 different things. If I need these two things to work together, if nothing else, I can call support and say, "I tried this and it's not working. Why is this not working?" And they'll get on the phone and WebEx and look and eventually you will get it working. When it comes to my most important criteria…
Senior NMS Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I can use it to detect whenever things go wrong on my network, but I would like them to eliminate the Java console

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the fault of our network to make sure that the infrastructure that delivers our services to our end users is up and all the redundancy is up. It performs really well in these tasks. It is one of its core competencies.

• "I can use it to detect whenever things go wrong on my network."
  • "We have had one support issue that's been open for a couple of months, and it is currently open."
  • "​I would like to see them eliminate the Java console. The user interface for this is a Java applet that runs on your desktop, and it is very problematic for us."

What other advice do I have?

Every once in a while, you will run into somebody who will surprise you by being innovative or by showing you that they have a vision for something, and that they are working or striving towards acting like a startup within this big monolithic steam train that is CA. I would look at the capabilities that Spectrum has to integrate with other solutions and be part of a bigger solution. When you are doing something like this, you have to have a bigger vision of what you are going to have across the board, then understand that this plays part of that, and it fills an important role. It is better…
BA
Programmer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
I would like to see better scalability as we are currently using it for SNMP trap management

What is our primary use case?

Mostly SNMP trap management.

How has it helped my organization?

I am fairly new to the product end of the solution. We have not utilized it to its full capabilities yet. I think we are still trying to figure out how to get the most out of it.

What is most valuable?

The network mapping functionality.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better scalability, and maybe, a more intuitive user interface.

It seems fairly stable. We have had some issues with the spec server and the high availability replication of data. It fails over well, but it does not come back very well. We get duplicated events.

It seems okay, but not great.…
Network Tools Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great network discovery means we have high confidence in our inventory

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to monitor all of our network infrastructure. Spectrum can monitor any type of infrastructure, but for us it's our network infrastructure. We also use it for configuration management. We have alarm/event management, network discovery, inventory, things of that nature.

• "We can plan changes and replacement of end-of-life products in our environment very well because it's very accurate."
  • "Spectrum does such a great job of discovering our network that we have a high confidence in what our inventory is."
  • "It does correlation so instead of producing 20 alarms if a site goes down, it only creates one."
  • "Our consultant was four months on-site doing Spectrum setup and working through issues."
  • "There's a little bit of complexity to the initial install because you're dealing with operating systems. You have to make sure all the prerequisites are done, anti-virus exceptions, etc. Then there's the bringing it up and then there's discovery of the network and setting that up. It takes time."

What other advice do I have?

I think you have to be aware of what steps you follow when you shut it down and bring it back up. You have to make sure you check that you are getting current alerts when it comes back on. Make sure that you did not lose any functionality, because there are a few pieces of it that are running simultaneously. You have to make sure all those pieces are running, operationally. There have been a few times where I started it back up and the alarms weren't coming in and I had to go check that. You just have to be careful to check the pieces. The most important criteria when selecting a vendor…
IT Operations Manager at Delta Air Lines, Inc.
​Stability has been good, but orchestration has been a little bit of a challenge

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is eyes on glass, operations, responding to tickets, alerts, and incidents tickets. Performance wise it is good. We have a lot of different monitoring tools in the background, so orchestration has been a little bit of a challenge, but I think that is everybody right now. Overall it is a good tool.

• "​Stability has been good. We really have not had any issues.​"
  • "We have a lot of different monitoring tools in the background, so orchestration has been a little bit of a challenge."

What other advice do I have?

It is good, but there is a lot of growth opportunity in the space. I think CA and a lot of other companies are moving in the direction of orchestrating cross-platforms. Right now, the way we are using Spectrum is really only covering infrastructure and infrastructures out of the house. I think the future with APM and other tools, being able to see more holistically what's happening, is very critical. The most important thing is implementation, how it is implemented to enable the operations. In my current role, the operation's visibility and usability are the most important thing. So, making…
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
You can customize it to your environment and make it meet your business needs

What is our primary use case?

We monitor our network devices with it, therefore it performs well.

• "It creates transparency and makes everything work by being more transparent."
  • "I would like to see CA move Spectrum, Performance Manager, and some of their other tools moved to a SaaS based model. You see a lot of other manufacturers which are moving toward SaaS based models."

What other advice do I have?

It is a really good product, though it is very complicated. You need to make sure that you have the staffing, because of the complexity of the product. You will need staff to be able to use it to its fullest extent. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The biggest criteria are: * Functions * Features * Cost * The reputation of the vendor. There are a lot of little vendors out there that are in a lot of these spaces, but you have never heard of them. Therefore, it is good to have a large company that you know and you trust. We have a good account team and good pre-sales people. They…
Network Engineer at Aerospace Corporation
Enables us to be proactive with any sort of network issues, address problems up-front

What is our primary use case?

Network monitoring. It has performed very well, as expected. It allows us to be proactive with any sort of network issues, address the problems before they become critical problems.

What other advice do I have?

When we are selecting a vendor, what is important to us are * stability * proven background of actually doing it * cost to actual functionality. I would say to seriously take a look at Spectrum. It is a very stable and good product.
Systems Engineer at Charter Communications, Inc.
Scalability is one of the best factors of the product, because it scales horizontally

What is our primary use case?

The use case for Spectrum is to perform fault management for our managed services infrastructure. We are monitoring around 150,000 endpoints with the tool.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. The event management that the tool provides is extremely powerful, but with that comes a bit of complexity. For beginner type users, the event management might be a little overwhelming, but as you work with it over time, you can really see what the solution provides for you. With a little bit of time spent, you can get a lot of value out of the product, but it takes a bit of time and understanding.
Senior Systems Engineer at GEICO
Does all we need it to do as a fault-management tool for our networking devices

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a fault-management tool for our networking devices. It's performed very well. We're still somewhat in the infancy. We've got a new deployment of Spectrum so we aren't 100% fully deployed with it. We have it integrated with CA Performance Center, which is what our initial experience is with, and we're just now bringing CA Spectrum into the fold.

• "The quick notification of issues, quick alerting because timeliness is always valuable, it's very important for us."
  • "It was somewhat complex to implement."

What other advice do I have?

In the vendor selection process what is important to us are * reputation * reliability. It also helps if you have a current relationship, and we have a long-standing relationship with CA. That made it rather easy for us. I give it a nine out of 10 so far but I have to qualify this answer. It's done everything that we need it to do. Again, until we do a deeper dive and explore it to its fullest potential, that could change. Whoever you have do your deployment and implementation, make sure they know what they're doing.
Director IT at CNO Financial Group, Inc.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring our applications. Mainly, it open systems to make sure that the databases are up and running, and also the service is up and running. It has become a notification before the business lets us know the system is down. We get to know the system is down first, so that is its main purpose. It has been performing well. We have had some kinks here and there, but overall it has been good.

• "The main thing is obviously notifications about alerts, getting ahead of the curve to make sure that we do not have system going down, or if it is down we get to know it earlier."
  • "I would recommend AI capability built-in so it becomes more predictable and we jump ahead of the curve. This is the one really important feature I would really like to see in any product that provides alarms."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spectrum. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The product needs to meet our needs. * It has to pass Enterprise Architectures conditions and be secure. The product should not have a lot of holes, because if you're going to buy a product, you are going to look at the product first, then the vendor. * From a vendor perspective, it is always associated with what the licensing terms are, and obviously, money matters. Also, looking at the contracts, how flexible they are in terms of working with us on working towards a contract. Whether it be subscription or it is a…
Manager Of Monitoring Service Delivery at American International Group
It handles scalability well as we have one of the largest environments and we have not had issues

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum is our correlation engine and an integration point of external monitoring tools. Also, we send UIM traffic to it, then we forward it onto SOI.

What is most valuable?

The correlation The integration point

What needs improvement?

The biggest issue is our integration right now between UIM and Spectrum is lacking. It does not allow us to pass all the details. There is a new integration, which has the new version of UIM. I hope it clears up everything.

Spectrum has been very stable.

I do not think we had any scalability issues with Spectrum. We have one of the largest environments, and it is handling it just fine.

How is

Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Some of the valuable features are event configuration, event correlation, and topology view.

• "Allows us to have a single console/notification point, with the alarms of all the tools that we use for monitoring."
  • "It doesn’t give you performance metrics: You need CA eHealth for this."

What other advice do I have?

Try to learn, at least, the following: Event Configuration Device Certification Watches Alarm Notification Manager Services SLA
Lead ,Managed Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The alarm and root cause analysis features are the most valuable to me.

What other advice do I have?

The recent versions of the CA Spectrum, such as version 10, have new added features that give organizations a good ROI.
Head of Data Science at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The valuable features are topology discovery, configuration management, and service management.

What other advice do I have?

Don't freeze your selection. This product is mature and is the best. Start your project and move forward to solve business issues
Senior Manager Information Technology Infrastructure at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Network Configuration Manager and Southbound Gateway features are valuable

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the use of CA Spectrum mainly to monitor network infrastructure. Use this tool like a “manager of managers”. Event monitoring is a very powerful functionality. If you want to monitor servers, apps, and databases, then use CA UIM probes.
Enterprise Solutions & Services Head at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Infrastructure and Application Surveillance Specialist at a hospitality company with 201-500 employees
Some of the valuable features are root cause analysis, fault isolation, and customization.

What other advice do I have?

Try to see through other product’s GUIs and focus on backend core features. How does the product isolate faults? Do different modules have to work together to triage root cause?
IT Infrastructure Manager at a government with 11-50 employees
It helps the infrastructure team know about problems when they occur.
Business Analyst Level 3 with 1,001-5,000 employees
Some of the valuable features are event correlation, policy creation by events, and attribute monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent tool for monitoring, managing event correlation, and providing integration with other tools.
Head IT Operations at ICBC Argentina
It helps us understand the impact of IT services within the business. Technical support in Latin America is good.

• "Spectrum is very useful for us, because the product lets us monitor and control all the various components of our infrastructure that support our business from an IT perspective."
  • "From the users perspective the looks and feel of dashboards of Spectrum would be easier to use and for understanding as APM will be in 10.5 version which we saw in CA World."

What other advice do I have?

When we evaluate vendors we look at technical skill and background. We want them to be able to understand our business objectives and our needs. This is the most important. We want them to be more service oriented than product oriented, because the main objective of the IT department in a bank is to maintain up-time regardless of the challenges we face. This is critical to our business.
TEM Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Some of the valuable features are NCM, REST API, and distributed landscapes.

• "Discovery: Scheduled, on-demand, synchronized with eHealth."
  • "The GIS map feature needs to be enhanced and synced with topology views of containers and global collections."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. It is easy to setup if technically strong resources are available. It reduces the cost of underlying hardware due to the higher monitoring capability per server. Always stick to a distributed approach as it helps in fault tolerance due to the unavailability of HA/DR. 1. NCM – Network Configuration Manager – It is very helpful in maintaining the configuration backups of network devices in a multi-vendor ecosystem involving large number of devices. Device configuration changes can be identified on real time and helps administrators to identify unapproved changes and…
Enterprise Systems Management (ESM) Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
In most cases, monitoring uses device models that match the actual device.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good, refined product that, in the fault-tolerant configuration, approaches being bulletproof. Allow extra time for installation, setup and familiarization. This is not due to installation and setup complexities but more due to the richness and extensive capability of this product.
Telecommunications Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The most valuable features start with the core feature fault management. I like the fact that it is fully customizable.

What other advice do I have?

Try to test and tune every feature you want to implement in a controlled environment. CA Spectrum is a powerful solution that will allow you to do almost everything you ever needed to monitor your network infrastructure. Due to its many features, there are always multiple ways of achieving the same goal. Picking the most efficient is the hard task. For every monitoring/management challenges that you face, you have always the last resort alternative, which is using your own scripts/programs to interact with CA Spectrum Web Service, VNMSH, or even adventure yourself (re)writing Java code using…
IT Analyst / Technical Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Detects minor, major and warning alarms by showing different colors.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that if you have the financial budget to get this solution, you would be well taken care of.
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The topology and design features are valuable

What other advice do I have?

Planning is key. Identify the topologies and design to be implemented and rules to be conducted for problem identification and alarms. Ensure that you have good support as a partnership for difficulties.
Lead Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The event and fault management features are valuable. It supports NFV.

What other advice do I have?

If they have a large environment to monitor, CA Spectrum is certainly the better option, being ideal for OPS rooms, highly scalable and with very high availability.
OSS Manager at Telefónica UK / O2
It has a REST API and is customisable using standard features.

What other advice do I have?

The CA Infrastructure tools on offer from CA work well with each other and are being more and more closely integrated every release. They use the Agile development methodology, so updates are frequent enough to keep up to date with new trends in technology. If you are not inclined to update too often, it is OK, as they do have a good support period. (I think it's 2-3 years or more in general, so you don't have to upgrade every time a new version is released.) Invest in time and resources to utilise the REST APIs for their products; it will save a lot of time if you are an MSP or provider of…
Software Engineer at Charter Communications, Inc.
Video Review
The topology view, host configuration, and the NCM are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

My rating reflects its scalability and reliability. There are some minor issues, but that can be resolved.
CA Technical Support Engineer/Fujitsu Regional Service Delivery Manager for PZ Cussons West africa at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Root-cause analysis and modelling pinpoint the exact cause of problems. Technical support is a 6/10.

What is most valuable?

Root-cause analysis and modelling pinpoint the exact cause of problems, which makes life easier.

How has it helped my organization?

It was implemented for a customer and it helped reduce turnaround time.

I have used it for 3+ years.

It was very easy to deploy and configure.

I rate technical support 6/10.

Straightforward installation and setup.

An in-house team implemented it. A complete implementation requires a certain level of hands-on training.

CA Spectrum provides value, but it can be very expensive.

Which other

Useful for event handling and offers a manager of managers console.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend you use CA Spectrum mainly to monitor network infrastructure. Use this tool as a manager of managers. Event monitoring is a very powerful functionality. If you want to monitor servers, app and databases, use CA UIM probes instead of the CA SystemEDGE agent.
Senior Service Delivery Analyst at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
We use it for fault management, to make sure the company network is doing what it's supposed to do.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely demo it. Have them PoC it for you. Once they show you what it can do, it can really make a person's decision a lot easier. Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor is definitely supportability. Obviously, it needs to do what we need it to do. If it didn't, we wouldn't have picked them to begin with; but for me, it's supportability.
Systems Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Automates inputs and outputs of a closed system. Provides critical data about our infrastructure performance.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I look for stability, the ability to meet our needs, and the ability for their products to integrate with other products that we use. If you are looking for a product, make sure that the solution you chose integrates well with your other systems.
Senior Manager at Allscripts
It gives us a visual representation of what's going on in the network.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product to others. The most important criteria whilst selecting a vendor is reliability.
Senior System Engineer at Northwell health
It has fault root-cause analysis and picks up things before end users call about them.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely consider Spectrum. It's one of the top solutions for its market space. It's not very hard to set up. It does a good job. When selecting a vendor, we want something that’s been around awhile. It should be a mature stable product.
Capacity Planning at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
We use it primarily for network monitoring, alerting, and ticketing. I'd like more dynamic weather map capabilities.
Chief Of Staff at Aig
We like the monitoring and integration capabilities. Customers can be alerted and be proactive.

What other advice do I have?

We have a good solution but it is not the complete solution for all the issues. The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are quality and cost. We are happy from both perspectives.
Application Performance Analysis/Migration Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Post-merger, it provides visibility into both company's networks.

What other advice do I have?

Define what you need and talk to the various vendors. You don't need multiple platforms. The ideal situation is where you have a single platform and a single company that provides me with all the features and functions that I need. You need to have a very clear idea of what you are doing before getting into it.
Sr. Monitoring Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good utility for fault tolerance. I would like to see easier integration and implementation of device MIBs.

What other advice do I have?

I know CA might not like this but I would suggest looking at other vendors in the market and really see what the completion has to offer. CA has got a large footprint and that's fine, but as an engineer, you should always be looking for what's best for the company regardless of the vendor.
Monitoring Engineer at Interval International
It consolidates all of the traps, alarms, and issues that arise from any device or network equipment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product to anyone looking for an infrastructure management application. I do know that for smaller companies the cost seems a little high, so it may not be for everyone. But, if you're looking for a total package that’s easy to get started and get it working, and something reliable and scalable, I would recommend the product.
Lead Network Performance Engineer - Engineering Performance Services at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
We have removed all the duplicate tickets from our ticketing system. The Checkpoint feature maps and checks for all checkpoint connections.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to design the correct architecture up front and that shall save you time in the future. The logs are difficult to set up and we would like it in the HTML5 since Java is a very buggy product.
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The ability to receive and correlate alarms and determine impacts when outages occur is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of choosing a network management applicationsvendor, look for stability and ease of use. I've seen that with the other applications. We have issues happening all the time, although I haven't seen it with CA. I would suggest getting your hands on a product in a lab and play around with it.
Manager IT at New York Presbyterian Hospital
Its ability to alert us on network issues before they become critical is a great benefit.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that Spectrum is a great network monitoring tool, and it has a lot of features that most people probably don't even use. They just use it kind of like an up-down tool, but there's a lot more to it than that. I would say, if it was something that they were thinking about implementing into their environment, they should get somebody that knows the product well to explain everything and make sure that it's implemented correctly the first time.
IT Planning And Control at ICBC Argentina
We use it to monitor 400 ATMs and 300 self-service terminals for alarms and other events.

What other advice do I have?

I think that the applications are great. The most important factor is who is going to be the partner helping you to implement this solution. Choose a good, trustworthy partner. I think that CA Spectrum is a really good tool.
Associate UEM Technologist at Sheetz inc
They have added an HTML5 web console. By building topologies, we can tell which port went bad on which device.

What other advice do I have?

Be patient. In its current state, I would have a representative from whoever your partner is help you with it. From what I can see, when we implemented UI, it took 2 weeks of on-site representation from our partner to help get it up and running. I think it's something that it would be less painful if you did have somebody that knew what they were doing, one of your partners or something, come and help you install it and get it installed. Then after that, start running with it. Do not do it by yourself. I choose a vendor based on their knowledge of the product. I need them to be able to tell me…
Engineer at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Configuration is simple. We can do root cause analysis to correlate events.

What other advice do I have?

Stability and support are important to us. We want to have the confidence that the vendor is investing in their product.
Senior Enterprise Operations Manager at a individual & family service with 10,001+ employees
Provides a topographical map of our infrastructure. Captures SNMP traps from non-network devices

What other advice do I have?

Take into account more than just features. Look at the way that the organization provides support, the way the vendor provides support, and also if they're willing to work with you for the long term on adaptation within your company.
Monitoring Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps us to be proactive by monitoring the entire network (data and voice) in real time.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very stable product. It helps us to be proactive and prevents the company from losing money and business, by monitoring the entire network (data and voice) of the company (head office and branches) in real time, showing exactly where errors occur.
Services Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
With CA Spectrum Southbound Gateway, it is possible to receive alarm data and turn it into events.

What other advice do I have?

CA Spectrum is a powerful product for monitoring network ICs; if you master the EventDisp logic and the Southbound Gateway Toolkit everything, becomes easier. It is important to remember that with the size of product, some caution should be taken.
Senior IT Manager at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
Works well with heterogeneous networks and there are lots of add-on products.

What other advice do I have?

Start small and include as much of your IT infrastructure as possible, so that at the end you have a picture of the “big” total.
Presales Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
The Service Dashboard provides a service-oriented view of infrastructure without having to use another tool.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t try to do the planning without consulting a CA Partner or an expert. You will need help in other matters also; must have a good knowledge of SNMP protocol. Always read the documentation, which is very rich, and use the communities for extra help besides the support. CA Spectrum is awesome for networks, but when paired with CA UIM, you can have everything: datacenter, networks, virtualization and on.
Solution Architect EMS Practice at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Its integrated automated fault management and fault isolation features helped us reduce MTTR.
IT Coordinator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The network monitoring features are the product’s most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

As I’ve written, not only for Spectrum, but for any monitoring tool, you need to know what is critical in your environment and think how exactly you should monitor and treat it. If you have done that, everything will work just fine.
Director - Enterprise Technical Computing at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Root-case analysis helps us correlate the symptoms and probable causes. Network configuration manager help us configure capture. Auto discovery helps us reduce manual efforts.
Senior Technical Consultant at The Instillery
The topology view, Global Collections and Fault Isolation algorithms pinpoint the exact point of failure.

What other advice do I have?

Think big, and look to exploit all this product has to offer around Fault & Service Management. When I was the Enterprise Administrator in a big data center in South America, my motto was: if the coffee machine has a network card, we can monitor it and see if we are out of coffee. Spectrum is capable of doing this and more.
Systems Software Programmer III at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It provides several valuable features, including Spectrum Core, Report Manager, and VM Manager.

Valuable Features:

It provides several valuable features, including Spectrum Core, Report Manager, and VM Manager.

Improvements to My Organization:

Our team has been able to maintain over 99% availability across the enterprise.  We've also been able to proactively detect four major client-impacting outages over the past nine months.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see improvement in the ability of the user to configure the maintenance mode more efficiently.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had issues with scalability.
Owner at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Powerful fault management platform which integrates with CA's other products.
Global Network Operations Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It can operate on a cloud with load balancing capabilities which doesn't occupy much memory. ​​During deployment, there were space and storage issues, loading for a long time during updates.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise any engineer to use the application because it is user friendly and secure. I would recommend any organization that requires network monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities all in a single platform.
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A Complete Infrastrucutre Management Product That Will Answer Most Of The Network Related Requirements Of Any Organisation.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation first before implementing, CA has a very well managed documentation and also good articles on their KB support site for known issues.
Senior Software Engineer with 10,001+ employees
It supports integration with different applications from other vendors.
Deputy Leader/Network management specialist of cNMS at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is the perfect monitoring solution for customers' devices but the incident management needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I see many advantages for using this software except if you need it as a home solution. When I started many years ago with the Spectrum, we did an initial screen of the application with a picture of my ca, Means the customization is possible with many ways.
Tier 3 Technical Support Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can respond to network events and our surveillance department can get people dispatched right away. It'd be nice to have a trouble ticket feature added to the software release.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. Try the best you can to start out fully within specifications and that kind of thing. We're going back and fixing all that now, which we might not have had to.
Senior Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
It brings to the table the ability to do vault isolation, alarm suppression, and more quickly find and focus on the areas that need to be fixed. But, the console should be using HTML5, not Java.

What other advice do I have?

If you like to sleep at night and not be disturbed on the weekends, get Spectrum. It's a really robust, mature product, but still with newer and newer features being added, and it's very, very stable.
Enterprise Development Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's beneficial because we can actually look at alarms and events. We can control those alarms and events, and provide them to our towers or silos.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think you're going to go wrong with Spectrum. It's going to provide all of your needs and if you have to customize something in Spectrum, it's a customizable SMI, so it's very straight forward. You bring in all your events and you can integrate it with various other solutions.
Principle Engineer at a media company with 10,001+ employees
It gives us insight in to our overall network communication, and it has joined groups together within our company to share information.

What other advice do I have?

We are very pleased with it. Plan, learn your environment, and plan the implementation. This is essential for success. Also, get CA support to help you document your environment before you start.
Software Engineer at Simac Techniek NV
You can add scripting and export results to an external database, which makes it easy to use and sort the information in a way that can be helpful to you.

What other advice do I have?

Get an overall perspective. CA is helpful and you should be willing to talk to them.
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Our clients can monitor their infrastructure at a deeper level, more detailed and technical specific view, and at different levels (IT management, IT ops, etc.).

What other advice do I have?

I do not know any other product better for NOCs. When you start researching for this kind of solution, you should have prepared a list with all your devices you want to manage, and features you want from this solution. Usually the number and type of the devices is important. Don't consider this product a service desk product. It is an infrastructure management product with some light features for incident management. Spectrum is great for what it does as a management tool. You can monitor your infrastructure, manage events and alarms as you please (aggregation, alarm suppressing, thresholds…
Consultant at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
A Complete Network Management Product that will answer most of the network related requirements of any Organisation.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend going ahead with the product. It will able to answer most of the network management related requirements of any organisation.
Senior Performance & Capacity Analyst with 10,001+ employees
You can find exactly where the bottlenecks lie, but decommissioned servers show up in the availability and outage reports.

What is most valuable?

Availability and outages reporting is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives an depth report of availability and outages, and by using it you can further analyze and find exactly where the bottlenecks lie.

What needs improvement?

A lot. Decommissioned servers availability and outages keep showing and that is annoying because it's ultimately contributing to the final availability (actual) which it should not.

I've used it for two and a half years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: I've never had to use it.…
Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The application is not well written but the WAN modeling is a valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

This product requires, in larger environments, one full time employee dedicated to it.
Associate Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Multiple issues were encountered with the deployment but the NCM backup is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

NCM backup Ease of going through the event history

How has it helped my organization?

The product was underdeveloped at our organisation for various reasons, so I am unable to comment.

What needs improvement?

Mainly testing on CA's side!

I've used it for 18 months.

Yes, multiple issues were encountered. Most were related to the lack of testing and inadequate documentation.

Yes, IM was very shaky and it seemed like CA were throwing hotfixes at us to fend us off until the next release.

No issues were encountered.

How are customer service

Information Security Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has the ability to discover your environment and devices easily, however, the ability to import new MIBs needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

For network management, this application is by far the best.
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have never faced any issues but it took a while to understand the product

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly recommend it.
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It has a simple GUI but occasionally it looks like your infrastructure has gone dark.

Valuable Features

The ability to monitor your WAN and LAN infrastructure in a simple GUI.

Improvements to My Organization

We keep this product up and monitoring 24x7 for fast and simple availability.

Room for Improvement

Really unsure of any, quite pleased with product.

Use of Solution

Going on two years.

There are a very few occasions when the system "barfs" and it looks like your infrastructure has gone dark, but it bounces back quickly (the system).

None so far. We are one of the largest networks in America and it hasn't so far.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 9/10.

Implementation Team

I believe it was done in-house.

ROI

Not sure of the exact number, but our clients…
CA Management Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Centralized console to manage network and systems. We had minor stability issues which CA fixed.

What is most valuable?

IT Infrastructure Monitoring Fault Management Topology Views

How has it helped my organization?

Clear picture of all network and server pictures Centralized console to manage network and systems All backup for router configurations

What needs improvement?

Network Servers

For eight years.

No issues encountered.

Just minor but CA provided support to resolve the issues.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

Which solution did I use previously and why

IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Few issues with stability. Overall it's very stable and effective.

What is most valuable?

It is an excellent product. It is probably one of the best we have seen in terms of being able to do mass configurations in the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Timing is always important when a network loses connectivity. It has allowed minimal downtime with the ease of being able to quickly isolate and resolve any outages.

What needs improvement?

I really can't say there are any at this time. We are happy with the product.

We have used this product for seven years. We were looking for a tool that could both monitor and provide additional tools for configuration updates.

Deployment was not an issue. Support was fairly good.

What do I think

Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
The tool fails to launch sometimes but we can act immediately on alarms.

What is most valuable?

Alarm Monitoring

How has it helped my organization?

It was used as a tool to observe critical alarms on network nodes and act immediately.

What needs improvement?

The tool fails to launch sometimes, and this was a frequent occurrence.

Seven months.

No issues encountered.

Latency in access at times.

Never attempted scaling.

Customer Service: 6/10. Technical Support: 7/10.

No I haven't.

Security Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is invaluable in fault resolution but the topology features need improvement.

Valuable Features

Scalability Customizability

Improvements to My Organization

Automatic alerting Integration with incident systems Integration with reporting tool eHealth

Room for Improvement

Topology features need improvement, namely - Weight of links Less critical links High critical links weighing

Use of Solution

I used it for seven years, but not for the last nine months.

There were some issues with deployment.

Sometimes a restart of the Tomcat Daemon was required, and sometimes the archive manager ran out of resources.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: We used the mailing list as a support forum - which was very alive with skilled professionals…
Network/System Engineer TL at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It needed an old version of Java for deployment but its a stable product.

What is most valuable?

Reliability Stability These are valuable because of the integration with CA Service Desk and the application of incident and event management in our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Reports and alerts give us the correct KPIs.

I have used it for five years.

It has a limitation in that it needed an old version of Java.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 7/10. Technical Support: 7/10.

System Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
I used to use it but switched to Nimsoft for server monitoring. The network admins still uses Spectrum.

Valuable Features

I used to use it for the server but switched to Nimsoft because it's much better for servers.

Room for Improvement

It's deployment tool is horrible.

Use of Solution

2 years

Yes, there are issues - detecting servers is impossible.

We've had stability issues with the database and clients not working.

Not that I've experienced.

Customer Service: 7 out of 10 Technical Support: 7 out of 10

Implementation Team

We used an external vendor team.

Other Advice

I switched from Spectrum to Nimsoft because it's a better product for me. The network admin still uses Spectrum.
Senior Technical Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Code is very complex but overall the solution is easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend CA tools for monitoring the entire infrastructure in an organization.
Senior Network Support Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good overall network views, but overly complicated to configure
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
Very powerful but requires expertise and training to use and customize.
We use it, it is very powerful but requires expertise and training to use and customize.
Download our free DX Spectrum Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links