Fortinet FortiAuthenticator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Authentication Systems. It is most often compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Fortinet FortiAuthenticator vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)

What is Fortinet FortiAuthenticator?

FortiAuthenticator user identity management appliances strengthen enterprise security by simplifying and centralizing the management and storage of user identity information.

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is also known as FortiAuthenticator.

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiAuthenticator pricing:
  • "FAC is an affordable solution for Middle Range (200E/400E) and also needs a package of mobility agents (2,000) perpetual."
  • "The product could be more competitively priced."
  • "It costs more to license the high-availability option."
  • "You can pay as you go with them. You purchase a base license and add to it as needed."
  • "The licensing structure is cost-effective for us compared to some of the other solutions that have recurring monthly costs."

Ayokunmi Ogundapo
Systems Administrator at Interswitch
Easy to deploy with intuitive interface; integration with certain enterprise applications lacking

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for two-factor authentication of most of our services. It includes VPN but also many other services that we have on our internet servers. We use the on-premise version because we also want it integrated into our in-house applications. We are customers of Fortinet and I'm a systems administrator.

• "Intuitive interface and easy to deploy."
  • "Integration with some other enterprise applications could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Every environment is obviously different so each user needs to know what they are looking for, and make a decision based on that. This is a cost effective and flexible solution. If a company is looking to use it on their server, it's important to look at the integration channels and your environment, the support. It's important to know that the channels are supported. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
Ibrahim Massad
Senior Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Affordable solution with a friendly UI

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is being used in our clients' companies. These companies are medium to enterprise level.

• "The initial setup is a valuable point on Fortinet products. Most of the time, putting the theory into practice on the devices is quite friendly and straightforward. As long as you can read English you can find your way around the solution and make it work. This is a high value point on Fortinet - the way everything is laid out in the web UI is user-friendly and quite straightforward. The UI is quite simple."
  • "We would like to see Linux-based operating systems be able to integrate with FortiAuthenticator to get two-factor authentication running on them. as well. This is a shortcoming that I have faced a few times already."

What other advice do I have?

If two-factor authentication is needed also for the end-devices, for example a endpoints or servers, I think FortiAuthenticator is not yet the most mature solution. However, if it is great for network devices, then this product is competitive enough price-wise and easy to use. It just works. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would say Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is an 8.
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAuthenticator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WahidAlarasi
Solutions Architect at Exclusive GRP
Reseller
Enables us to have multifactor authentication using two-factor authentication

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and my company works purely for Fortinet, implementing all versions on a daily basis, so we're not end-users. The company is an exclusive distributor implementing the product. The primary use case of the product is usually for multifactor authentication using two-factor authentication with tokens. Sometimes people require two factors with a token. Sometimes they need the latest POC. I do a proof of concept for windows login. They need the agent who authenticates with SMS, token or email.

• "For someone concerned with multifactor authentication, I'm satisfied with the product."
  • "No SMS gateway from the ISP"

What other advice do I have?

As a distributor of Fortinet, I would suggest people give this product a little bit of focus. I mean we can do well on this product if we concentrate on it. People don't know about the two-factor authentication and that it's easy and straightforward. We also include some features for free but I suggest that people using Fortinet just focus on this product. FortiAuthenticator has created a straightforward easy-to-use product. I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because nothing is perfect.
Ernesto Chang
Presales Engineer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Strengthens security, flexible two-factor authentication options, and integrates well with other solutions

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Fortinet FortiAuthenticator to centralize the management of user identity information in Security Architectures, enforce Role-Based authentication, and allow Two Factor authentication with Softclient support. This is a must-have technology in Fortinet implementations with several gateways and distributed environments. It is easy to set up and will reduce Network administrators' efforts to integrate diverse identification methods. Must evaluate Single Sing On Mobility Agents to full integration of users position on the network and complete the solution.

• "It reduces the need for network administrator intervention by allowing the user to perform their own registration and resolve their own password problems and issues."
  • "I would like to see integration and customization capabilities with the end-user portal to solve authentication issues with diverse implementation scenarios."

What other advice do I have?

This is a must-have technology in Fortinet deployments with distributed environments.
SS
Information Technology Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good security and easy to use with good technical support

• "The ease of use is really nice. Using Authenticator, I've been able to actually work better on my authentication due to the fact that I have a single fabric to authenticate control from my firewall and on my access points. Authentication takes place from this area."
  • "The solution could be more automated. It should be able to let me automate a lot of things so that what normally is done as a matter of manual processes can be handled quicker. Slow integrations can be taken up/out if there was more automation."

What other advice do I have?

We're just end users. We don't have a special relationship with the company. We're using the latest version of the solution. It might be something around version six. I would recommend FortiAuthenticator to other organizations. It is really a good product. Somebody looking for a good security product should go with FortiGate products. New users should explore all the features and see how they can maximize usage. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
AD
Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
On-premises deployment and excellent log details make this product valuable

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is, first of all, as a two-factor VPN for enhanced access security. We use this product to provide secure access for all of our employees. Our other use cases have to do with using FortiAuthenticator for other security projects which includes things like access to some important web applications.

• "The logs have great detail that make it easier to evaluate and control the security environment."
  • "It can not use SQL to query FortiAnalyzer directly."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Authenticator as about a seven-point-five. If it has to be seven or eight, I would choose eight. I have not used many products in that category with our site, but we can do what we want and need to do with that product.
DD
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Helps with SSL two-factor authentication but the graphical interface is outdated

What is our primary use case?

• "We use this product for SSL two-factor authentication and FortiToken management."
  • "It does the job I paid for, but the graphical interface could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten. I know there are other solutions that have a more modern graphical interface and provide better user management functionality. We need to tell the customer to get two solutions instead of doing the job with just one. I think I could give eight or nine to another solution, but FortiAuthenticator should be a seven.
DN
IT Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good support, integrates well with Fortinet products, and the licensing is cost-effective

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is two-factor authentication, and we use it for a handful of our clients.

• "FortiAuthenticator is really good software that integrates very well with Fortinet products."
  • "I would like to see more ways to authenticate, such as adding facial recognition to the two-factor, where you log into your phone or another device."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that for any solution you want to deploy, you have to ensure that your team is trained so that you can support it. Before FortiAuthenticator goes into play, make sure that your team is trained. Overall, we are pretty satisfied with FortiAuthenticator. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 2 more Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Reviews
Download our free Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.