Fortinet FortiGate-VM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate-VM is #13 ranked solution in best firewalls. IT Central Station users give Fortinet FortiGate-VM an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiGate-VM is most commonly compared to Azure Firewall:Fortinet FortiGate-VM vs Azure Firewall. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiGate-VM?

FortiGate Virtual Appliances allow you to mitigate blind spots by implementing critical security controls within your virtual infrastructure. They also allow you to rapidly provision security infrastructure whenever and wherever it is needed. FortiGate virtual appliances feature all of the security and networking services common to traditional hardware-based FortiGate appliances. With the addition of virtual appliances from Fortinet, you can deploy a mix of hardware and virtual appliances, operating together and managed from a common centralized management platform.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM was previously known as FortiGate Virtual Appliance, FortiGate-VM.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiGate-VM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Fortinet FortiGate-VM Customers

Security7 Networks, COOPENAE

Fortinet FortiGate-VM Video

Archived Fortinet FortiGate-VM Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user592125
Platforms and Products Manager at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
The traffic shaping feature is helpful to help control traffic

• "It handles our current load with ease, and I think it can handle a bit more. It definitely can handle a lot more capacity than we currently use."
  • "The GUI could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

In our office, primarily everything goes through FortiGate. We expand that for all the firewall rooms that we have. We have features that link to FortiGate and from FortiGate on the shelf we ran the core cells. There is primary access to each of the devices and then we also use it between our offices. We use VPN tunnels in between offices. There are all of the typical settings within a firewall device: Protection, application control, and quality tracking.

How has it helped my organization?

There's routing and then there is control. For routing, there is quality. The security site has anti-virus and web filter applications. I'm used to all of them, so I wouldn't pick one or the other.

What is most valuable?

I like the traffic shaping feature. I find it helpful to be able to control the traffic.

What needs improvement?

The GUI could be improved. Furthermore, the unit we have could be modified because it's not that high of a torrent.

Less than one year.

It is a very stable product.

It is a scalable product. We source our current load with ease and I think it can handle a bit more. It definitely can handle a lot more capacity than what we currently use.

We do not use the tech support. We have another source for tech support.

We also considered Sophos, Checkpoint, and Palo Alto.

We do have Palo Alto at one of our smaller offices of about 60 people. We noticed that Palo Alto is a much more costly solution.

Account Manager at a tech services company
A nice solution with economic interfaces and a very useful installation guide

• "It is very useful to make lists for rules and prepare firewall rules."
  • "The customer care center of Fortinet is good. For all the requests that we have done, they work as fast as possible, so this is a good point for Fortinet.​"
  • "The price is sometimes very expensive.​"

What is our primary use case?

We are using an IPS and an IDS at the moment.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Fortinet, the company had an attack (DDoS) from the outside and had many points of failure, when they started to use Fortinet, I think the attacks stopped. The DDoS attacks were no more. This was from 2015.

What is most valuable?

It is very useful to make lists for rules and prepare firewall rules.

It is stable. We have not had a bad experience with the Fortinet firewall.

Not really, but it does have it limits.

The technical support will reply quickly and everything will be okay.

I have previously used pfSense (open source) before joining this company.

However, the company has been using Fortinet for a long time.

The first setup is easy and very simple. After that, you may require assistance implementing the new rules.

The price: It is a bit higher than the other competitors. This is why I started to look at other brands. For example, I am looking at Sophos firewall and whether it can meet our requirements, since I am sure that their price would be cheaper than Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend a company to use Fortinet, because it is an attractive solution. No bugs with a very easy installation guide, and also the support and the customer care, are very important.

Fortinet is a nice solution with economic interfaces and a very useful installation guide. Very nice customer care, too, but the price, it is sometimes very expensive.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user796206
Managing Partner
Can use the appliance as a WLAN controller for up to 10 access points

• "There is an interesting possibility of building a tunnel to a firewall from access points. We use this feature for small branch offices with one to two employees with access to central RDP servers."
  • "One top feature is the ability to use the appliance as a WLAN controller for up to 10 access points with the new 5.6 firmware."
  • "A top feature is the really good web interface and the classic Fortinet features, such as IPS, IDS, AV scanner, and spam filter."
  • "In the first two releases of FortiOS 5.6, we had some trouble with the SSL VPN service. Sometimes it stopped working, and the IPS daemon too."

What is our primary use case?

I work with a lot of small business companies in Austria. Small businesses in Austria are from one to 100 employees. The FortiGate 60E is a top product for these Austrian companies for all cases of Internet usage.

What is most valuable?

Another top feature is the really good web interface and the classic Fortinet features, such as IPS, IDS, AV scanner, and spam filter.

What needs improvement?

At this time, I can't say anything against the device. It has been doing a great job.

In the first two releases of FortiOS 5.6, we had some trouble with the SSL VPN service. Sometimes it stopped working, and the IPS daemon too. Since 5.6.2, it has been running without any issues.

There are no problems with the scalability.

There are only two times that I had to contact Fortinet support since I have used Fortinet devices (15 years). Here in Austria, the distributor is doing a great job. It is very good to have the ability to contact an NSE 8.

For somebody who does not have experience with Fortinet appliances, the initial setup is very easy, but basic networking knowledge is necessary. The Setup Assistant will guide you through the first steps, and you can config basic settings for basic security.

The basic pricing in Austria is OK, but asking for special offers, e.g., NPOs, NGOs, trade up, and/or trade in, is always useful.

No, I did not evaluate other products.

What other advice do I have?

Look for the latest OS version, read the release notes and the technical documents for comparison.

it_user378003
Information Technology
All unauthorized traffic is filtered out

• "​Initial setup was quite straightforward, as we can simply head to the required sections to apply the planned network.​"
  • "Improvements are needed for the responsive UI and JIT traffic reporting."

How has it helped my organization?

The improvement was felt in the traffic use. Without the firewall, there is unauthorized traffic coming in from the Internet. We can’t be sure whether it is legit traffic or something malicious. With this solution, all unauthorized traffic is filtered out.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the firewall and security. They filter out unwanted connections.

What needs improvement?

We are using a product from eight years ago. I am sure there have been improvements in the newer versions. Improvements on the following are needed:

1. Responsive UI
  2. JIT and detailed traffic reporting.

More than five years.

There are no stability issues.

We did scaled up quite well. We moved our locations from 10 to 20 people accessing it to 100s of people. It could handle the traffic load well enough.

I have not requested tech support (all these years).

I have yet to research a hardware replacement. If anything, I am the one that needs some advice!

I can't remember.

What other advice do I have?

This product surely will fit your basic needs at the very least. However, always match up the specifications of the products you will buy to your current and future needs.

it_user795627
Director of Business Development
Ensures our network is properly protected from viruses and malware

• "We use it to ensure that our network is properly protected from viruses and malware."
  • "The initial setup was quite straightforward."
  • "The management tools should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use it our network, not in the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a firewall. We use it to ensure that our network is properly protected from viruses and malware.

What is most valuable?

The best part of Fortinet is the license is bundled together, so it is easy to use and apply.

What needs improvement?

The management tools should be more user-friendly.

No issues.

I would rate technical support as a seven out of 10.

We previously used Fortinet 620B.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

You The initial setup was quite straightforward.

The price is expensive compared with other vendors, like Cisco and Huawei. However, the performance is good.

We evaluated Cisco, Huawei, and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

If you have enough budget and care about performance, Fortinet is a good choice.

it_user769731
Technology Management - Specialist with 501-1,000 employees
The pricing and licensing are not as expensive as its competitors

• "We encountered scalability issues in IPSec Module. The tunnels freeze sometimes."

How has it helped my organization?

There have been no improvements. We would just use another device if this one did not exist.

What is most valuable?

None of them. It is a classic firewall, but better than the free versions.

Less than one year.

Yes, we encountered stability issues in IPSec Module. The tunnels freeze sometimes.

Yes, we encountered scalability issues in IPSec Module. The tunnels freeze sometimes.

I would give technical support a rating of a nine out of 10.

I used SonicWall, before they were sold to Dell. After Dell bought them, some issues came out.

I used Check Point, which was terrible for me. You can do almost nothing without software. The web interface does nothing. I do not like solutions with many components. In Check Point, you need to use over three interface to dig up anything.

I used Palo Alto 3020. It is a marvellous solution, but a bit expensive against its competitors. You can do everything in the web interface. There is no need for any installation (does not exist) and to manage it. It works quickly changing configuration and applying configuration. (Comparatively, FortiGate is fast in applying configuration.) You can easily rollback the previous configuration and backup configuration in Palo Alto. The firmware upgrade is like a baby's toy in Palo Alto.

İt is not fast to rollback config in SonicWall.

I used Untangle, pfSense, etc. However, there is no need to talk about them.

The pricing and licensing are not as expensive as its competitors. This applies to SonicWall, too.

Check Point and Palo Alto are very expensive solutions, because of the ownership and renewal costs.

I evaluated different options before choosing FortiGate. It has four separate modules which give fast reactions when it is analysing. It has an app ID and user ID option, which are the most important.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware of your own requirements.

it_user680427
    BETHEL SCIENCE AND MATH CONTENT COACH with 51-200 employees

• "Use of this product does not require daily interactions."
    • "Operations have been flawless."
    • "Technical support has been super responsive and dedicated to getting any challenges resolved."
    • "There were challenges during setup, and many of them were self-inflicted."

How has it helped my organization?

Use of this product does not require daily interactions, like our previous firewall service option.

What is most valuable?

Simplicity of daily operations would be my favorite facet of this gem.

Less than one year.

No issues. Operations have been flawless, so far.

No issues noted.

We had a previous solution and switched due to a corporate decision to eliminate some subscription fees.

This product was nearly plug and play. There are some tables and rules to make custom decisions based on our daily workloads and philosophy as an educational setting.

I was not involved in that aspect. Therefore, I cannot provide information along these lines.

I was not involved in the corporate decision-making.

What other advice do I have?

Draw out a plan of what traffic to unconditionally allow (whitelist) and what traffic to restrict under what conditions, before you even unwrap the box.

It has taken me a little while to gain confidence in this product, but I am there now. There were challenges during setup, and many of them were self-inflicted.

it_user790008
    System/Network Administrator with 11-50 employees

• "High network throughput while providing leading edge network security technology for a competitive price.​"
    • "The user interface (UI) and the performance of interface both need improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Real-time sandboxing with the FortiGate UTM network.

What needs improvement?

The user interface (UI) and the performance of interface both need improvement.

No issues.

I would rate technical support with a 10 out of 10 (perfect score).

Our previous solution simply did not live up to expectations.

Setup is straightforward. I am certified in the Fortinet line of solutions. Even without this knowledge, it is easy to adjust the product to your requirements.

It is on par with what you receive. It can be expensive upfront.

It would be nice to have the ability to extend FortiGuard subscriptions at a reasonable yearly cost versus a bulk three year pricing.

We evaluated Cisco, Meraki, SonicWall, and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

Having support from your vendor is nice. Calling Fortinet directly with a support contract, they will help you take care of all your requirements.

Leandro Birri
    Responsable de Ingenieria at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    It has allowed us to centralize every network service into one appliance

• "The IPS module is my favorite because of the security advantage reached with a few clicks and its automatic updates."
    • "It has allowed us to centralize every network service into one appliance."
    • "We have experience stability issues, when the product sizing is wrong or on configuration errors."

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to centralize every network service into one appliance, administrating all traffic going in and out of my company. Its given us only one point of monitoring and auditing, getting us visibility of all network traffic in an easy way.

What is most valuable?

The UTM. In particular, the IPS module is my favorite because of the security advantage reached with a few clicks and its automatic updates.

More than five years.

Yes, we have experience stability issues, when the product sizing is wrong or on configuration errors.

Yes, we have experience scalability issues, but only when the product sizing is wrong.

Technical support is good.

We previously used mostly Cisco products. We changed because of support and feature costs.

It is always complex when you migrate from a complex solution to another one.

It is an expensive solution if you are migrating from an open source solution.

If you are in a licensed solution, like Cisco or Palo Alto, it is cheaper. I do recommend using it with a license, because it is a security solution and it needs updates.

Cisco, Sophos, and SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it 100%. Go ahead and implement it.

We are implementers of Fortinet among other things (Cisco, Sophos, HPE Networking, VMware, EMC, Zimbra, etc.).

it_user188481
    Network Admin at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Initial setup is very straightforward with a wizard, if needed

• "Initial setup is very straightforward with a wizard, if needed."
    • "The web GUI is easy to use."
    • "​The tech support calls were not the best and could be improved. ​There have been times when we felt as if we knew more about the device than the support person on the phone.​"

How has it helped my organization?

From security changes to VPN setup to web filtering, changes happen now more quickly.

What is most valuable?

The web GUI is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The tech support calls were not the best and could be improved. There have been times when we felt as if we knew more about the device than the support person on the phone.

No issues.

I would rate technical support as a seven out of 10. It is hit or miss. Most hits, but a few tech support calls were not the best.

We used ASA (ASA 5510) before this. You had to have ASDM loaded and fight with different versions of Java just to administer the device.

We needed to do an upgrade, and for the cost of a new ASA, we got two FortiGates which have a web GUI that do not rely on Java.

Initial setup is very straightforward with a wizard, if needed.

Not applicable.

No, we did not evaluate other options. It was the firewall rated numerically behind Palo Alto, and we could afford this one.

What other advice do I have?

It was no different than any other rollout. Do as much configuring before dropping it into your environment (especially if you are using content filtering with multiple groups) and make sure you are able to rollback to the old device, if necessary.

Product Categories
    Firewalls
    Download our free Fortinet FortiGate-VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.