Google Stackdriver OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Google Stackdriver is the #15 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to ELK Logstash: Google Stackdriver vs ELK Logstash

What is Google Stackdriver?

Google Stackdriver provides powerful monitoring, logging, and diagnostics. It equips you with insight into the health, performance, and availability of cloud-powered applications, enabling you to find and fix issues faster. It is natively integrated with Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, and popular open source packages. Stackdriver provides a wide variety of metrics, dashboards, alerting, log management, reporting, and tracing capabilities.

Google Stackdriver is also known as Stackdriver Monitoring, Stackdriver Logging.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Google Stackdriver Customers

Uber, Batterii, Q42, Dovetail Games

Google Stackdriver Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Google Stackdriver pricing:
  • "The cost of using Stackdriver depends on usage."
  • "The cost could be lower."

SS
Director, Function Head, RISK Technology and Change at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides visibility into the performance uptime and the overall health of our cloud applications

What is our primary use case?

We use Stackdriver for real-time log management analysis, it provides cloud log in a fully managed service for the GKE requirements. We also use it to collect messages, some events, metadata and the like from cloud. I'm the director and function head of risk and technology change, and we are customers of Google.

• "Provides visibility into the performance uptime."
  • "Lacking sufficient operations documentation."

What other advice do I have?

If you're moving to GCP, then Stackdriver is the right way to go. However, if you're moving to a different platform that's not GCP, Stackdriver may not integrate with it well. I would rate the solution higher but because we had some initial hiccups I would rate it an eight out of 10.
ANANDA KANCHARLA
Head of Testing Centre of Excellence at Avows
MSP
Feature and report rich with valuable graphs and reports

• "The features that I have found most valuable are its graphs - if I need any statistics, in Kubernetes or Kong level or VPN level, I can quickly get the reports."
  • "If I want to track any round-trip or breakdowns of my response times, I'm not able to get it. My request goes through various levels of the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and comes back to my client machine. Suppose that my request has taken 10 seconds overall, so if I want to break it down, to see where the delay is happening within my architecture, I am not able to find that out using Stackdriver."

What other advice do I have?

Google Stackdriver is good because when you are using the GCP, there is no need to rely on any other monitoring tools, it gives the majority of the reports. But when you're stuck with any issue, and the team needs to do fine-tuning, it is a little difficult to analyze, especially while performing the load or stress tests. If everything is good, then you can get the reports. However, when something happens, they have to improve reporting. On a scale of one to ten, I can give Google Stackdriver an eight. As I said in our previous discussion, we are finding it difficult to develop the breakdown…
Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Datadog, Dynatrace and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: September 2021.
534,768 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rizal Muhammad
Infrastructure/Cloud Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support and supports multi-cloud integration

What is our primary use case?

We have some projects on the Google Cloud Platform and we are looking into how we can use Stackdriver to monitor our workloads.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the multi-cloud integration, where there is support for both GCP and AWS.

What needs improvement?

The APM functionality needs to be improved. It is difficult to estimate in advance how much something is going to cost. Often, you don't know how much it costs until you are finished.

We have been working with Stackdriver for less than one year.

My impression is that this is a stable solution because we have only had a few minor problems.

What do I think about the scalability

Rizal Muhammad
Very good technical support

• "Google's technical support is very good."
  • "While we are satisfied with the overall performance, in certain cases we must add additional metrics and additional tools like Grafana and Dynatrace."

What other advice do I have?

Google Stackdriver is all about activity. If one switches from, say, Grafana or another performance and monitoring application, it takes time to adjust one's expectations. All the items desired are present, but these must first be configured. I rate Google Stackdriver as an eight-and-a-half out of ten.
Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Datadog, Dynatrace, and more!