Hyper-V Overview

Hyper-V is the #4 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to KVM: Hyper-V vs KVM

What is Hyper-V?

Hyper-V is a native hypervisor for x86-64 systems, enabling platform virtualization. It is a Microsoft product that comes in two forms. One form is Hyper-V as a standalone product, known as Hyper-V Server (Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is the latest version). The other form is as a role to be installed in Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, or the x64 version of Window 8 Pro. No matter what form it takes, Hyper-V gives you the services and tools required to create a virtualized server environment.

Hyper-V creates a cost-effective, stable and productive server virtualization environment by running multiple operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, and more, in parallel on one server.

Some of the business benefits of installing Hyper-V include:

• Create a private cloud environment or expand an existing one.
  • Optimize hardware utilization and minimize resource consumption by consolidating servers in the form of virtual machines on one physical host.
  • Improvement of business continuity.
  • Virtual Desktop Infrastructure creation or expansion.
  • Greater efficiency for test and development activities.
Hyper-V Buyer's Guide

Download the Hyper-V Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Hyper-V Customers

Large customer base from all industries, all over the world. Two major Hyper-V customers are Telefonica and EmpireCLS.

Hyper-V Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

System Administrator at Abdullah Al-Othaim Markets
The cluster environment is a good feature of this solution. If something happens, then it will automatically move to some other mode.

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using this solution for Exchange, as a demo controller and an antivirus, as well. We have lots of servers on our Hyper-V.

• "I think the cluster environment is a good feature of Hyper-V because, if something happens, then it will automatically move to some other mode. This is a great feature of the solution."
  • "The setup was straightforward and easy for our company. The deployment was fast."
  • "Sometimes it is a mess, and it is getting hanged. It should be something that could be easily fixed. It made us have to deal with fixing the bugs."
DB
System Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A cost-effective and stable solution

What is our primary use case?

It is a consolidation of Microsoft services that we have on premise.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves us money because we did not have much in terms of this type of service before using this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it is stable. It is a good solution.

More than five years.

The stability of the solution is very good.

It can scale. We have 20 users of the solution who are in various positions at our office. We have two staff members to maintain the solution for our organization.

We have not used…
Learn what your peers think about Hyper-V. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
502,275 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AH
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It can easily run multiple applications, but the price is steep.

What is our primary use case?

The features I find most valuable are utilizing the hardware so there is multiple applications running on one hypervisor. This actually saves money for the user.

What needs improvement?

I think there is room for improvement in terms of the cloud solutions.

The stability of the product is fine. There is no problem. The only issues we have is with stability of the operating system.

It is scalable.

The setup was initially not easy, but Microsoft has made a lot of improvements and upgrades, and the integration is supposedly more simple.

What's my

Oficial de comunicaciones at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Helps illustrate the infrastructure easily

What is our primary use case?

We can illustrate all of the infrastructure very easily.

What needs improvement?

There are bugs, and this should be resolved by Microsoft. In the future, I would like to see how the hyper-converged infrastructure works with the technology.

Three to five years.

It is a stable product.

The initial setup was easy. It took approximately 25 minutes to deploy.

The pricing and licensing is fine.
BB
Director of IT at a pharma/biotech company with 11-50 employees
Low price for a hyper-virtualized environment

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for some of my virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to add on servers and fix things in an expedient manner.

What is most valuable?

I find the hardware and the cost reduction most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The backup has room for improvement.

More than five years.

It is a pretty stable solution.

I have not scaled it because I am not running it in a cluster environment anymore. I do know that the clusters work and that Hyper-V can easily scale for an organization's greater needs.

YA
CTO for Pydynamix
There is a tremendous ease of use due to the familiarity with Microsoft.

• "The flexibility and API are the most valuable features. It helps us be able to integrate with other systems and then push data easily."
  • "The interface could be more user friendly. In addition, the documentation and security could use improvement."

What other advice do I have?

If I was going to a demo, and somebody had given me an iPhone and I had to quickly gut it, my first choice would not be Hyper-V. It is not a user-friendly solution. I would say the ability to assign more dynamically, like VM-ware does. And the SRM feature to be brought back into Hyper-V so that you're not looking at virtual box which is a cheap version, but that you're looking at enterprise, you're looking at VM-ware. But if there was one button to move everything over to the new system, if that could be put in as a feature then it would be very attractive.
Network Administrator II at a maritime company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us build servers

What is our primary use case?

I build servers using this solution.

What needs improvement?

It needs to improve compatibility with third party software.

We previously used VMware.

I was not involved in the setup of the product.

I do not have experience with pricing or licensing of the product.
Senior Principal Consultant with 1-10 employees
A great advantage for any company that is using a Microsoft Windows server

What is most valuable?

It is a great advantage for any company that is using a Microsoft Windows server.

What needs improvement?

I think the console could use some improvement for the backups. The features should be improved. I know a lot of people who are considering moving to Hyper-V, but are skittish to do so because you need a system center virtual manager or a specialist to integrate the solution.

More than five years.

I recommend this product due to its high stability.

It is highly scalable. It is really easy to scale and implement.

The setup was easy.

What's my experience with pricing,

System and Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Has a fair price and is a good solution

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it for server virtualization and protection services.

• "Using cluster with Hyper-V had a major impact on our protection environment. So all applications were virtualized using Hyper-V."
  • "Improvements could be made to the configuration of the solution."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise other people that this is a good solution.
Senior Systems Administrator at Privia Health
A good product for hosting corporate infrastructure servers

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to host our corporate infrastructure servers.

What needs improvement?

The only issues we have had recently are with Windows updates that are built into the Windows server with Hyper-V.  In the future, I would like to see a simplification of licensing of this product. In addition, I think it would be beneficial to have more monitoring.

More than five years.

It is very stable. We have not had issues with it crashing itself.

I do not have experience with the technical support. I usually research the answers myself and fix any pending issues.

It was very…
MT
Program Architect (Microsoft) with 5,001-10,000 employees
The virtualized applications is a good feature, but the setup of the solution was complex

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for implementing the private cloud over the system center.

What is most valuable?

Hyper-V 2016 is very impressive. The virtualized applications and real-time addition of the VMA is quite a good feature, which is competitive to VMware. It's not VMware but it's close to it and is a competitor.

What needs improvement?

The networking portion of Hyper-V needs improvement.

It is a stable product.

It is a scalable product. We have over 100 users and we are growing towards a more virtualized solution.

Which solution did I use previously

Head of Department for IT Services at a government with 201-500 employees
Eases our Virtual Management

What is most valuable?

This solution is much easier to manage than a bare metal machine. It is so easy to manage something through the virtual machine.

What needs improvement?

The live migration feature needs improvement.

More than five years.

The stability is acceptable for us. We do not have problems with it.

It is scalable. We are not such a big company, but it suits our needs. We have less than 500 employees using this solution. We have three system administrators maintaining the solution.

We previously used VMware and then moved to Hyper-V. We did so primarily…
System Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Increases memory for virtual machines with ease

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is to increase memory for the virtual machine which can be easily done on Hyper-V.

• "It is definitely the toughest competitor for VMware. It easily increases memory for our virtual machines."
  • "Hyper-V is hosted on OS but if your OS scratches you are in big trouble. In addition, if a host fails, automatically the machine and the virtual machine should boot from another source. Those type of features would benefit Hyper-V."

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely the toughest competitor for VMware. There is room for improvement for automation. If that was implemented, it would place Hyper-V on the same realm as VMware.
SO
Sr. Programmer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
A good hypervisor but it lacks proper backup features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution as a hypervisor.

• "It is good for small installations."
  • "It would be nice if it was turned into its own product because that's the problem with it. It doesn't have a single place where you can manage things. You have to go into all different screens to be able to configure it. And then you have no idea what the performance is. It's really just a feature added to Windows, and Microsoft does not really have anything that pulls it all together well. Compared to VMware, it does not have everything collaborate on one screen."

What other advice do I have?

It is good for small installations. If you are looking to do anything fancy, this is is not a good choice.
SS
Assistant Manager - IS Infrastructure
Costly yet it gives a 360 degree view of the environment

What is our primary use case?

We use the Hypervisor and manage the VMs. We then get a 360 degree view of the infrastructure, hardware, networking, storage, VMs, and more.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to integrate the Hyper-Visor center from one console."
  • "The cost and licensing can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, due to cost, we have begun to look at other products in the market.
IT at a non-profit
Stable with a high rate of availability

• "The most valuable feature is the high availability of the solution."
  • "The corrupted volume is a problem."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution is to back up the whole configuration. Also, you have to have things well documented and to take into consideration the maintenance times. Furthermore, updating the operating systems, host operating systems and guest operating systems is extremely important, otherwise, it could lead to unnecessary downtime.
IT Executive at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Previously we had five machines running the infrastructure. With Hyper-V, now we have one.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it easier to deploy services. All services tend to migrate onto the server house without having problems now. It is hardware independent.

What is most valuable?

We find the most valuable feature is just hosting the VM. The replication I do with other software.

What needs improvement?

It might make it easier to move VMs across Hotmail hosts. This application process may make it a little bit easier.

More than five years.

I have not had problems with the stability of the solution.

I am using the free version of the solution. There are some limited features, and it is not too…
JE
Technician at Computer Geeks
I find the ease of use the most valuable asset of the solution.

What is our primary use case?

The reason we use this solution is because we can do a lot more with rate configurations, and large span networks. It's a lot easier doing that versus with some of the KVM based hypervisors.

• "I find the ease of use the most valuable asset of the solution."
  • "An improvement I suggest is having more guest operating systems."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to do your research before you choose a solution. Be sure it fits your needs.
KW
Interim Director of Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It Allows for Production of Our Office Business Needs.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this solution is for production of our office business needs.

What needs improvement?

It needs to improve the handling of the amount of storage available. We currently have around 400 users.

More than five years.

We have 400 users of this solution, and use three staff members for deployment and maintenance.

We previously used a regular Windows 2012 server before using Hyper-V.

I do not have any comments about pricing or licensing of the product.
WG
User
It helps migrate all of our servers and saves us a lot of time.

What is our primary use case?

We use this product primarily for virtualization.

• "We can perform maintenance on equipment during the day because we can live migrate all of the machines from one server to another."
  • "Microsoft increased the price for this solution when adding the Storage Spaces Direct feature."

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see deduplication and compression in a future roll-out of the product.
SS
Consultant at hadafq8
With the virtualization what we could achieve was maximum utilization of our resources.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for virtualization of all solutions from physical servers into other solutions for ease of management.

• "With each update, the security of this solution just gets better and better. It is very stable."
  • "We chose this solution because of the pricing and the simplicity of the product."
  • "The the only challenge for us was moving existing physical machines to virtual machines."

What other advice do I have?

If you want to use a solution that does the job that is required, to the best of its ability, then Hyper-V is a great solution.
DW
User at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
User
Its performance, stability, and redundancy are all very dependable

What is our primary use case?

We run the majority of our production servers from our Hyper-V 2012 R2 Cluster.

• "It works very well. Its performance, stability, and redundancy are all very dependable."
  • "It allows for quick deployment of servers and workloads."
  • "I would love to see other options for connecting VMs to large data storage."
  • "We have our cluster connected to a Dell EMC VNX (SAN). The Hyper-V nodes are on Cisco UCS blades, and everything is interconnected via fiber. I attempted to use a virtual Fibre Channel connection to present a SAN volume to a VM but was not able to make that work."
Head of IT Architecture and Design at Alterna Bank
User
Provides freedom to spin up development and test environments. Needs additional administration and monitoring capabilities.

What is our primary use case?

Providing development and test environments for risk management applications. A variety of standard images were created and could be applied as needed.

How has it helped my organization?

Hyper-V provided freedom to spin up development and test environments. As projects were created, an environment could be created and applied.

What is most valuable?

Reasonably easy to use. Snapshots could be prepared and deployed as a developer needed them. As well, environments could be disabled or removed.

What needs improvement?

It needs additional administration and monitoring capabilities. Status and availability became an issue and need.

Trial/evaluations only.
Systems Architect at UST Global
Realized benefits in the smaller data center space, power, and cooling, in addition to the benefit from the virtualization layer

What is our primary use case?

We had deployed multiple Hyper-V clusters for various projects and even have the confidence to run it for highly critical production loads.

• "The organization has realized the benefits on smaller data center space, power, cooling, etc. apart from the benefit that the virtualization layer brings in."
  • "SCVMM needs to be more user-friendly. Without SCVMM, automating is not easy to use and we look forward to the upcoming versions of SCVMM becoming simpler and more admin friendly."
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees

What is our primary use case?

This is the primary hypervisor in my organization. It runs our most critical workloads and supports all our branch offices.

• "It runs our most critical workloads and supports all our branch offices."
  • "The Failover Clustering feature allows us to be able to make our most critical workload highly available."
  • "They can hot add NICs to the VMs. However, there is still not the ability to hot add virtual processors to running VMs."
Technology Systems Analyst with 1-10 employees
Simplicity and intuitiveness of the platform are attractive, it grows on you with time

• "The simplicity and intuitiveness of the platform. It was a very simple adaptation, if you have any experience in virtualization."
  • "There is a hard limitation of 20 gigs per file with Dropbox, so you've got to overcome that by chunking the zip files into something smaller and manageable."

What other advice do I have?

Don't knock Hyper-V until you actually try it. I get a lot of people from the tech community, saying things like, "Hahaha, you're on Hyper-V?" And I reply, "Yeah. At first, I opposed it, but it's grown on me and I love it." I still run VMware at home, just because I already have it running on in my lab, but if I were to rebuild, I'd do it under Hyper-V. Why not? You get more features for free. You've got to actually really try it for a good six months to a year, and then it grows on you. It's like, "Wow! You can do all that?" Yeah. And more. Hyper-V's gotten a lot better since 2012 and 2012…
Systems Architect at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Live migration and SMB3 are very valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

We built a private cloud with it.

What is most valuable?

Live migration, SMB3.

What needs improvement?

Storage via SMB3.

Previously used VMware. Switched due to cost.

It was reasonably straightforward.

It's cheap, but not the best.

Vmware was better, but it was more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t use it for mission critical clouds.
Service Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides a redundant hosted solution to our clients, and the ability to load balance a cluster of servers so that resources are evenly spread.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for virtual technology, Hyper-V continues to grow and improve. Being a Microsoft product, it’s the most-compatible solution to implement into your environment. It’s also the most cost-effective solution and you really can’t beat Microsoft support.
Independent Analyst and Advisory Consultant at Server StorageIO - www.storageio.com
Review about Microsoft Hyper-V
Happy 20th Birthday Windows Server, ready for Server 2016? In case you have not heard,  is celebrating the 20th birthday (or anniversary) of Windows Server.  has a nice site with info graphics and timelines of where Windows Server has been and accomplished over the past 20 years. Some of you may remember from 20 years ago Windows Server with a different name aka Windows NT Server. Back in the day, if you recall (or read), server requirements were more in the 33 MHz vs. 3.3GHz range, 32MB of RAM Memory vs. 32GB to 320GB, 150MB HDD vs. 150GB SSD or 1.5TB HDD. Keep in mind that 20 years ago Linux was a relative new thing with Red Hat not yet quite household or more specific enterprise name. The various Unix (e.g. IBM AIX, HP HP-UX, Sun Solaris, DEC Unix and Ultrix among…
Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
What is Hyper-V over SMB?
With the release of Windows Server 2012 Microsoft offers a new way to store Hyper-V Virtual Machine on a shared storage. In Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V Microsoft did only offer block-based shared-storage like Fiber channel or iSCSI. With Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Microsoft allows you to used file-based storage to run Hyper-V Virtual Machine from via the new SMB 3.0 protocol. This means Hyper-V over SMB allows you to store virtual machines on a SMB file share. In the past years I did a lot of Hyper-V implementations working with iSCSI or Fiber channel storage, and I am really happy with the new possibilities SMB 3.0 offers. The common problem of block storage is that the Hyper-V host has to handle the storage connection. That means if you use iSCSI or…
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Setup on a DAS can split functions to as many servers as needed improved backups and uptime.

What is most valuable?

Quick boots Fast up time and install

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Cannot copy paste within the app Some bugs were not fixable and I had to reinstall core OS

3 Years

Customer Service: Good Technical Support: Good

VMware

Straightforward

In-house

IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The main improvement to our organization is its scalability and the ability to support our system by running our applications simultaneously.

What other advice do I have?

You should evaluate this product as it’s very easy to manage.
Technical Support Specialist at PCMS Datafit
I'm able to save space by running multiple Operating Systems and Services on only one physical device, but I wish importing/exporting were more robust and more user-friendly.
Microsoft System Engineer at Summit Technology Solution
You can move from server to server without downtime with Live Migration in a VM.

Valuable Features:

1. Improved Windows stability 2. Hyper-V stability 3. Live migration 4. Enhanced session mode 5. Clustering

Improvements to My Organization:

Enhanced Session Mode is a feature thats allow you to copy and past inside the virtual machine. Live Migration in a virtual machine where you can move across your Hyper-V physical servers with or without user interaction, and in a virtual machine you can move from server to server without downtime.
Manager IT at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
I have less down time in case of a disaster and have saved on hardware and electricity costs.

Valuable Features:

- One-window management of servers - Less down time in case of a disaster - Easy to use and manage

Improvements to My Organization:

After deploying this, we have saved hardware and electricity costs.

Room for Improvement:

Not yet rectified.

Use of Solution:

I've used this technology since 2010. It is a really amazing product. By shifting almost my all physical servers into one Box "Host Machine", I am relaxed now.

Deployment Issues:

Not yet

Other Solutions Considered:

I have also deployed VMware.
Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Top Reviewer
You can automate the deployment of a new Hyper-V host, but the networking part is difficult to setup.

What other advice do I have?

For the cost, it has almost the same features as VMware. If you are a Microsoft shop, then get Hyper-V with System Center to connect to Windows Azure and you are all set.
Lead Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Not equal or superior to VMware’s ESXi
“We are 4x cheaper with better technology versus VMware.” I’ve been fairly open in my opinion against the latest round of Microsoft FUD coming out of their Worldwide Partner Conference this week but I felt strongly enough by the utter crap coming out of their mouths to respond in a post. It’s not so much about the claim to be 4x cheaper than the VMware Cloud Suite…but more the outright incorrect claims that their technology is somehow superior to that of VMware’s. I’ve found myself in the position to have been exposed to both Hyper-V and ESXi (not counting the Management and Orchestration suites) and in fact I cut my teeth in the Virtualization world on Hyper-V…so unlike others out there who see things only through the rose colored glasses Microsoft seem to sew onto peoples…
Technology Consultant, ASEAN at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Hyper-V 2012 R2 vs. VMware vSphere 5.5
I was won with Hyper-V 2012R2 recently and the table below based on customer RFP (edited). This articles all about technical, there is not related with TCO/ROI, licensing cost, “political”, etc. Another to noted is the Windows Server 2012 licenses is based on 2 socket CPU, meanwhile VMware vSphere is based on 1 socket CPU. With Windows 2012R2 Datacenter, you will eligible to have unlimited Guest OS licenses. Also System Center 2012R2 licenses based on 2 socket CPU. Enjoy it, and let me know if I missed something or need some updated. Requirements Hyper-V 2012R2 VMware vSphere 5.5 Host Server Hardware Requirements • 32 Logical CPUs minimum • 128GB RAM or more Support: • 320 Logical Processor…
System Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Microsoft Hyper-V 3.0 from a vSphere lover's perspective.
Microsoft is making claims that Windows Hyper-V Server 2012 is the best virtualization platform for Windows. I have to say that they have caught my interest with Windows Server 2012, Hyper-V version 3 and Systems Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2012. So I have been hard at work getting deep into the products, first by updating all my lab systems. Unfortunately Windows Server 2012 is not in general release yet so all my setup and testing is being done with the release candidate and/or technical preview software. In saying this, you can’t really compare the software solutions to the current release versions of VMware vSphere, vCenter Server, etc as I may tend to do. And if you don’t know, VMWorld 2012 is right around the corner and I expect there to be additional product updates…
Datacenter and Cloud Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
I've used Hyper-V 2012 for 6 months for deployment of new VM's. The speed of the VM's has improved the way we function, although the storage features could use some improvement. Overall, I gave Hyper-V 4 stars although we did encounter issues with deployment and there were times when it was not stable which caused the VM to reboot without notice.  Before implementing Hyper-V, we also evaluated options from VMware. If you don't have a need for complex apps then Hyper-V is the correct solution to choose. We chose to implement in-house and our setup cost was $4,100.
IT Manager with 51-200 employees
Virtual Networking: VMware vs. Hyper-V
We've been busy building out our new Server 2012/Hyper-V infrastructure in support of our move to all new and shiny Exchange 2013, SharePoint 2013, Lync 2013 and Office 2013 along with our move to Windows 8 on all the client machines. We made the decision to move off VMware ESXi as our virtualization platform and onto Hyper-V as we are first and foremost a Microsoft shop. Server 2012 and Hyper-V now offer a compelling platform for virtualization and, frankly, if we can do what we want to do with products from one vendor rather than multiple vendors then so much the better. Hyper-V is no longer a poor relation to VMware in terms of performance or capabilities and, believe me, I was the most “dyed in the wool” rabid VMware user for many years so I’m not saying this just to toe…
Vice President at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Leaderboard
Hyper-V can be run on this Dell PowerEdge
Hyper-V can be run on this Dell PowerEdge C6220.  Here is a brief upbeat compelling video overview of the Dell PowerEdge C6220 and C6220 II. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJZs2EUy9Vg
Director of IT with 51-200 employees
Replica, Cost and Stability are very valuable but support has only been average - has proven to be hit-or-miss

What other advice do I have?

* Do not be afraid to work $$$ into the budget in case you need assistance from a 3rd-party. * Test in parallel and do not be a hero and try to do it whole-hog at once. * Do not postpone the DR/BCP part of the project. If you are building out a new infrastructure DO THIS FIRST. We were forced to push this to the back of the project and it bit us for a few days; in the end you do what the executives say but having file/application/server/site disaster recovery is an absolute must before you migrate production data. * If you haven’t gone too far with it do a review of R2; it provides many…
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Even better than before
Last time I wrote a review on Hyper V for 2008 R2, which is the product I was using at the time. Having had experience with Hyper V "3.0", the version included in 2012, I figured it was time to update my review. Pro's Hyper-V definitely has its pros! - This version of Hyper-V is even more in depth than before, bringing it up to par with and even surpassing vSphere in some ways. - PowerShell scripting has been greatly expanded upon, allowing for more automation and centralized management. - Exporting a VM and importing it into a new server, or setting up fail-over clustering is easier than ever! - The integration with the new server manager and the existing MMC substructure is superb. Cons: The cons are the same as the last time. - Individual licensing costs for each server. - If you…
Configuring and Managing Hyper-V Replica
Management Considerations Hyper-V servers are managed locally using the Hyper-V Manager interface or remotely using the Hyper-V Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) or System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM). If the configuration is a Hyper-V Failover Cluster, the Failover Cluster Management interface is used. Configuration and Management UI Hyper-V Replica settings are configured in the Hyper-V Manager interface for standalone Hyper-V servers and the Failover Cluster Manager interface for Hyper-V Failover Clusters. Configuration Settings Configuring a Standalone Hyper-V Replica Server 1. In the Hyper-V Manager interface, Click on Hyper-V Settings in the Actions pane 2. In the Hyper-V Settings dialog box, Click on Replication Configuration 3. In the Details…
Enabling a Virtual Machine for Replication
Replication is configured on a per virtual machine basis. Virtual machines running on Primary site Hyper-V servers (or Hyper-V Failover Clusters) are configured to replicate to Replica servers (or Replica Failover Clusters) at remote sites. 1. In Hyper-V Manager, in the Details pane, Click on a virtual machine 2. With a virtual machine selected, Right-click and choose Enable Replication. This starts the Enable Replication wizard 3. In the Specify Replica Server screen, enter either the NetBIOS or the Fully-Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) for the Replica Server in the Replica Server box. (Note: If the Replica server is a Failover Cluster, ensure the connection point for the Hyper-V Replica Broker is used). Click Next 4. If Remote WMI is enabled, then Hyper-V Replica automatically…
Management Tasks for Hyper-V 2012
The Hyper-V Manager interface is used to manage standalone Hyper-V Primary, Replica servers, and the virtualized workloads running on those servers. The Failover Cluster Manager interface is used if the Primary or Replica servers are part of a Hyper-V Failover Cluster. Hyper-V Replica management tasks can be categorized as follows:  Hyper-V Server Primary Site Management Tasks  Hyper-V Server Replica Site Management Tasks  Virtual Machine Primary Site Management Tasks  Virtual Machine Replica Site Management Tasks  Modifying Virtual Machine Replication Settings Note: In the above list, Hyper-V Failover Cluster can be substituted for 'Hyper-V Server'. Hyper-V Server Primary Site Management tasks involving the Hyper-V Server at a Primary Site include:  Ensure the Hyper-V…
Hyper-V 2008 – VMs Show Host MAC Address In ARP Cache
Recently while working with a customer that was migrating from Hyper-V 2008 R2 to Hyper-V 2012, I came across an issue where VMs on the original host were having odd intermittent network connectivity issues. As I dug into the problem, I realized that when I ran arp -a on any of the Hyper-V hosts, VMs on the original host were showing up in the ARP cache with a MAC address of the physical host, instead of their virtual MAC address. As it turned out, it was the drivers for the Broadcom NICs in this particular system. Windows Server 2008 does not support NIC teaming natively, and instead relies on the 3rd party drivers to support teaming. Due to a bug in some versions – possibly all, I have not been able to confirm this as of yet – of the Broadcom drivers, Hyper-V 2008 hosts using a…
Engineer at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
Hyper-V As An Enterprise Solution: Are We There Yet?
For my first post here on Hypervisor Agnostic, I thought it would be appropriate to open up with a debate that I’ve been sucked into as of late due to a project I’ve been involved with at work. Has Hyper-V finally reached the point that it can go toe to toe with VMware as an enterprise hypervisor product? Or is Hyper-V merely an entry level solution for small businesses that lack the budget to invest in VMware? My answer is yes, Hyper-V is an enterprise product, but is it right for your enterprise? The answer to that is a little more complicated. To appreciate where Hyper-V is today, you have to understand where it began. Microsoft first entered the virtualization market when MS bought the Virtual PC product line from Connectix back in in 2003. Virtual PC was originally a…
Engineer at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
Hyper-V has made great strides since it was first released alongside Windows 2008. If I were a SMB/small enterprise running mostly a Windows shop and looking into virtualization, I would definitely give it a serious look - it can do most everything I would need for a lot less than vSphere. However, vSphere is still the king as far features, specifically when it comes to availability and DR. That said, the growth of KVM & Openstack and the community surrounding them excite me more than anything coming down the pipe for either Hyper-V or vSphere. Disclosure: The company I work for is partners with several vendors - http://www.latisys.com/partners/strategic_partnerships.html
Engineer at a outsourcing company with 51-200 employees
Has come a long way...but the fact that it uses CSVs... is always going to be a problem
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet and would just like to point out is Microsoft lacking to have a true cluster file system. I think Hyper-V has come a long way (very ruff start) but the fact that it uses CSVs, which is just NTFS with a bunch of duck tape... is always going to be a problem. They have made the right steps to enhance their Core server and try to get a lightweight platform to run their hypervisor on but that file system needs to change.
Enhanced Session Mode on Hyper-V 2012 R2
One of the new features or improved feature on Windows Server 2012 R2 is the enhanced session mode through virtual machine connection. Hyper-V and the Virtual Machine Connection tool now support redirection of local resources to a virtual machine session. This feature provides similar type of device redirection to a virtual machine as you get with a Remote Desktop Connection session. Enhanced Session Mode In previous versions of Hyper-V the Virtual Machine Connection utility only provided redirection of the virtual machine screen, keyboard, and mouse along with limited copy / paste functionality. To get additional redirection abilities a Remote Desktop Connection to the virtual machine could be initiated, but this would require a network path to the virtual machine. Starting with…
IT Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Hyper-V 2012
Hyper-V 2012 is a good virtualization product that is suitable for small businesses. The 2012 edition is very simple to use and performance so far is exceptional. I am using Server 2012 with the Hyper-V role in a small remote office to run infrastructure virtual servers. The setup is very simple, install the Hyper-V role. Configure where you want to save the virtual machine files, and then select to add a new virtual machine. You can apply the desired hardware specs, and one feature that really stands out is dynamic memory allocation. The host server will scale the guest memory allocation as needed and it works very well. There are better virtualization solutions for large deployments, but for small businesses or a small remote office that only requires a couple of servers, Hyper-V is…
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Microsoft Hyper-V vs VMware vSphere
One topic that gets discussed quite often is Microsoft Hyper-V vs VMware vSphere, and a quick Google search for comparisons will return at least several hundred thousand hits. There seems to be a large number of posts and articles trying to make a case that one is better than the other by listing and comparing features of the hypervisors themselves one by one. The purpose of this post is not to claim that one platform is better than the other. Is that the best way to really compare the different virtualization technologies as a whole, or should we take a step back and really look at differences in approach for the virtual infrastructure and/or virtual ecosystems' Microsoft: In my opinion, Microsoft is defining and building their virtualization infrastructure as an extension or expansion…
Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Windows 2012 Hyper V: Huge Improvements

What other advice do I have?

If your infrastructure is based on MS products then this is a hypervisor to go for. Virtualization of some of the components such as domain controllers are supported by Microsoft only on Hyper- V.
Senior Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees
Hyper-V 2012 - Well done Microsoft

What other advice do I have?

Hyper-V is a must have if you have a subscription with Microsoft’s MSDN program
Head of Data Center at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Great hypervisor with snapshot capability and failover, but it has limitations.

Valuable Features:

Great Hypervisor with snapshot capability, and fail over clustering integration. Also possible to manage with Virtual Machine Manager.

Room for Improvement:

P2V are not live, and there's some limitation on max hard drive space for VMs and the ability to recover VHD file space after files within the VM have been deleted.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Microsoft has a winner with Hyper-V

What other advice do I have?

All in all, Microsoft Hyper-V is an excellent platform and a great competitor for VMWare.
Manager of Operations at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Hyper-V is a solution for virtual machines with better scalability, better dynamic memory management, and excellent virtual storage management.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft with its better reach and excellent customer support is always a preferable choice. Although VMware may still be leading the enterprise market, there is neck to neck competition between Hyper-V and VMware. Moreover, in its latest version, Hyper-V has enhanced some excellent features, like additional capability of Memory for VM, running up to 1TB. It has also increased the single VM RAM capacity up to 64GB. There is also an enhancement of 160 logical processors per Hyper-V host, 1024 virtual machines per host, 64 nodes per cluster, 4000 virtual machines per cluster, and 32 virtual…
Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
An easy and scalable solution for your enterprise virtualization needs

What other advice do I have?

The hypervisor based server visualization product, launched from Microsoft along with Microsoft Server 2008 R2, greatly helps in managing high availability, load balancing, resource sharing, and fail over clustering. It is a reliable solution, from enterprises to small scale industries, to make the best use of server resources and reducing costs. It enables multiple instances of machines to run together on the same server, which maintains redundancy.
Manager of Data Center at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Reduce the DataCenter overhead cost with Hyper-V

What other advice do I have?

Visualization technology brought succor to IT enterprises users. The cost of acquiring multiple servers and its general maintenance has been drastically reduced. One physical or hardware machine can host multiple visual servers Windows Server Hyper-V is one of the best visualization servers in the market today. The new Hyper-V’s dynamic memory feature is a big plus. It can automatically expand the memory allocation to accommodate more workload from different virtual machines. Other attractive features, that the new Hyper-V includes are, Live storage migration, utilization of up to 4TB memory…