IBM MQ Overview

IBM MQ is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Business Activity Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Apache Kafka: IBM MQ vs Apache Kafka

What is IBM MQ?

IBM MQ provides the universal messaging backbone for service-oriented architecture (SOA) connectivity. It connects virtually any commercial IT system, whether on premise, in the cloud, or a mixture. For more than 20 years IBM has led the market in messaging middleware and more than 10,000 businesses across all geographies and industries rely on IBM MQ.

Visit for your trial here.

IBM MQ is also known as WebSphere MQ.

IBM MQ Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM MQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM MQ Customers

Deutsche Bahn, Bon-Ton, WestJet, ARBURG, Northern Territory Government, Tata Steel Europe, Sharp Corporation

IBM MQ Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

RV
MQ Engineer DevOp at ING
It is easy to set up and has good instrumentation

What is our primary use case?

IBM MQ is used heavily in all of the companies I have worked for, mostly in the financial industry. It is easy to set up and has good instrumentation.

How has it helped my organization?

The product was already installed which is not surprising as it was first published around 1993.

What is most valuable?

To be able to programmatically send information stored in 'messages' and send them securely, as well as the ability to check their contents and statistics when things go wrong.

What needs improvement?

Better testing by the supplier is needed Ability to send to a group of queues without the need to use pubsub and without the need to write one's own programmes.

CM
Principal Solution Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The on-premise installation is very valuable to us.

What is our primary use case?

Originally, we were doing this in-house, and it was a huge effort. Now, with IBM MQ, we have increased our performance, and it performs really well. The queuing system, given the size of information, is helpful.

• "I believe there is too much code to be done in order to handle the elements that you develop."
    • "I believe the stability of the product has decreased since we began using it initially."

What other advice do I have?

We also considered Apache Kafka as a solution. The main difference is that Kafka is an open-source platform.
    Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
    501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    BB
    User
    It improves reliability and guarantees that messages are not lost

What is our primary use case?

I have installed a cluster MQ in a bank using HACMP for the failover solution on AIX. I have also configured the product accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves reliability and guarantees that messages are not lost. This is a prerequisite for the online payment process.

What is most valuable?

Asynchronous messaging processing between the front-end and our legacy system using an enterprise service bus (ESB).

More than five years.

To implement such an IBM solution, a company has to pay a lot in term of licensing and consultancy.  A pricing model might be a better option.
    Team Leader of the Development Team at IBM/IT-Innovation
    Reliable integration between servers is valuable. This solution helps us scale web services and organize parallel execution

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ as a reliable way of integrating different applications. Our transaction service operates using IBM MQ for organizing the asynchronous interaction between different applications and the core banking system. It is easy to organize parallel reading and writing, and you can easily link two IBM MQ servers using the remote queue feature. We also use IBM MQ in web services which are developed using IBM Integration Bus. MQ helps us scale web services and organize parallel execution.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM MQ helps us scale our applications and balance our applications' performance. MQ is quite reliable. In some cases, our application became simpler and more reliable simultaneously.

What is most valuable?

Reliable integration…
    ST
    VP - Accelya Kale Solutions Ltd at Accelya World SLU
    User
    Ensures fast, reliable message transmissions without unplanned failures

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ for message transmission between our customers, and their agents or global message service providers, such as SITA or ARINC, for tier one critical applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Applications are time critical, and IBM MQ has played a significant role in ensuring fast, reliable message transmissions. With IBM MQ in place, fear of messages getting lost in the case of an unplanned failure is almost none.

What is most valuable?

Data integrity, reliability and security are very important to our business. No messages are lost, and recovery is good in case of any serious failures. No dependency on the end party service's run status.

How is customer service and

BN
    Architect at Franklin Templeton
    User

What is our primary use case?

We use queue managers/concentrators for message flow going upstream and downstream on applications with enterprise licenses.

How has it helped my organization?

Adding concentrators was great improvement, but it lacks the SonicMQ CAA (continuous availability architecture).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are queue managers and CCDT, which is the common purpose of most client applications.

What needs improvement?

SonicMQ CAA (continuous availability architecture) functionality on auto failover and data persistence should be made available without a shared drive, as it exists in multi-instance queue managers.

More than five years.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

Consulting BPM Architect at Ivory Software Corp
    User
    The most reliable product that we have ever used which run everywhere in the world

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise messaging with international clustering in 120 data centers in 82 countries around the world.

• "It runs everywhere, from the mainframe in the US to the PCs in the Gobi desert attached to an analog modem."
    • "It could get a face lift with a modern marketing campaign."

What other advice do I have?

IBM MQ is one of the oldest, most underrated products in history.
    Sr. Solution Architect or Program Manager at a financial services firm
    Helps integrate between applications, reduce rework, by reusing existing components

• "Has helped integrate between applications, reduce rework, and costs by reusing working components of existing applications."
    • "Integrates between distributed systems: For example, it can help integrate processing between mainframe, client-server, web-based applications by integrating the messages, supporting Service Oriented Architecture."
    • "the level of training as well as product marketing for this product are not that great. You rarely find a good training institute that provides training. Many of the architects in several organization are neither aware of the product nor interested in using it. IBM should provide good training on products like this."

What other advice do I have?

Middleware family of products such as WebSphere MQ, MB, TIBCO ESB, IBM ESB, and MuleSoft ESB offer excellent choices in architecture and re-engineering of software architecture, and should be the first choice, instead of building from scratch. If anyone recommends rebuilding from scratch, such an architect should not be working for your organization. IBM needs to protect its products, as well as the engineers and architects who recommend those products.
    Senior Solutions Architect at Department of Justice
    We value this product's reliability, simplicity, and pricing.

What is our primary use case?

We use MQ for guaranteed delivery and once only delivery of important business to business transactions. We use persistence messaging to ensure messages are not lost in case machine is restarted.

• "We have implemented business to business transactions over MQ messaging. The guaranteed and once only delivery ensures business integrity."
    • "It needs a User Interface which is better than the aging MQ Explorer. The existing solution MQ Explorer is outdated."

What other advice do I have?

Get a good MQ expert to get it right from the beginning.
    IT Unit Head at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    One of the most important features is data persistence. Some of the monitoring on some of the MQs did not meet our needs.

What other advice do I have?

Engage IBM and MQ experts from the beginning on the architecting and the proof-of-concept. There are a lot of configurations and a lot of things that IIB can do. If you do not do properly early on, then it's going to be difficult to find those things, go back, and make those changes. One of the most important things when selecting a vendor is definitely their ability to meet our functional needs. On top of that, we are looking for partners that are going to be around in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. We want dependability, longevity, and somebody who's going to be around when we need them.
    Principal Middleware Engineer / Automation Specialist at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliability is the most valuable feature. Technical support is excellent.

• "Reliability is the most valuable feature. MQ is used to support critical business applications."
    • "The installation of product upgrades and patches is very difficult. It requires the use of the IBM Installation Manager (IM)."

What other advice do I have?

Use the new and lightweight version (Liberty) to lower licensing costs. It is also easier to upgrade/maintain.
    Manager - Enterprise Information at a government with 51-200 employees
    The message queue and the integration with many development platforms/languages are the most valuable features.

• "The message queue and the integration with any development platform/language, i.e., NET and Java, are the most valuable features."

What other advice do I have?

IBM WebSphere MQ is robust, scalable, and reliable. You just have to clearly articulate your requirements and understand your needs so that you can realize the benefits of using the product. Our lesson learned is to always plan wide and implement narrow. This is the "phase approach."
      Technology Architect at Accenture
      MQ is one of the integrations that we use for the z Systems to the open system connectivity.

What other advice do I have?

There is quite a good amount of documentation that you can get either from the IBM Redbooks or from the IBM support websites. Also, if you are partners with our company, then you will get the required support. Before installing, I would request you to do a quick analysis and go through the end-to-end process, as to what are your requirements and how to configure this product up-front, i.e., instead of directly installing it and then, trying to configure it on the fly. In general, when selecting a vendor, we look for more and more support.
      Application Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has alerts built-in that tell our operation that queues are getting filled up and they need some attention.

• "We use our routing feature when the request is coming from the business application. The request goes to the distributive side and it is routed to the right claim instance."

What other advice do I have?

Customers need to look at their design and carefully select the product. They should look at the product capabilities and change the design accordingly to work with the product. Don't expect a lot of things from the product. You need to trust your design, your solution, and your app. This product just helps you to move around and navigate your data. Your product has to be solid to process those elements. If I am unable to put the message in a queue, then if MQ sends me a message and I'm unable to pull the message and process it, then I would not blame MQ. It is my product or app that is not…
        Enterprise Integration Architect at a financial services firm
        By allowing messaging to integrate with some third-party solutions, we are able to integrate legacy events, captured ATM and credit card transactions, into a digital web dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have the right use case to support that type of data and flight paradigm. If you do, there are third-party open-source solutions that a lot of vendors have embedded into their products that you have to integrate with. This gives you a really good platform to do that. So, if you don't want to put something in that isn't as robust or scalable, you don't have to. You can rely on this to be the conduit and the glue for your messaging fabric. It's also really good at asynchronous logging. A lot of times, when you buy these turnkey solutions for whatever vertical, they often don't have…
        Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Provides a lot of value in moving patient data from the entry point until the patient gets out of the building.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to understand how to implement it and for what exactly you want to implement it. Sometimes, we get into a situation where you may not be choosing the right solution and may not really need MQ to support your product. You may be expecting something that MQ doesn't offer, so it is important to understand your business requirements and the features that MQ offers, in order to see if it is effective in implementing the solution. The important thing while selecting a vendor is to help the customer go through the implementation phase. One of the typical situations that we run into…
        Systems Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Provides reliable, guaranteed message delivery.

What other advice do I have?

This product is from IBM which is a very well-known company. MQ is a reliable, easy to understand and install solution. The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are that they should be well-known and the product's reliability. These are the main reasons as to why we chose IBM MQ.
        Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        It allows data transmission from multiple platforms in a fault-tolerant manner.

What other advice do I have?

You should take a look into this solution.
        IT Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
        I like that the ability to add applications to it is simple.

• "There are a lot of extensible options for security, i.e., various things you can do. It's pretty easy to navigate."
        • "Presenting and maybe having some different options for different user experiences based on the administrative duties that you have to do as an app manager or configure the server or security would be an improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I don't think I'd give anyone any advice at all. It's pretty straightforward to go and implement. The only thing that I would say is that perhaps if you're - depending on what you need to do - like deploying some of the IBM CLM tools, you might look maybe for a lighter-weight solution because of those various menus. I know there are other IBM products and there are various lighter-weight solutions that are provided as part of the IBM MQ family. Going with something that's not full IBM MQ but maybe one of the other IBM products that's much more suitable for your organizational needs would be a…
        Enterprise Application Integration Specialist at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        MSP
        With the pub/sub model, when data changes, we publish the changes to all the subscribers.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely it's a great product. But, I think we need better interfaces.
        System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        We like the queue depths and creations for the installations.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. You should always check out the performance and trust for a good solution.
        Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        We use it for authentication and authorization of incoming requests.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend them. When selecting a vendor, we are looking for timely interaction. In case there any issues, we need to get support immediately.
        Systems Administrator at a healthcare company
        The most valuable feature is the interconnection of data between different systems.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, you should use IBM MQ because it is a stable product and provides a wide interface with different systems. You can talk to mainframes on other systems as well, so I would highly recommend this product.
        System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The transactional semantics around messaging and the reliability they have built-in are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

You should read the manual. The way we use this solution, there is nothing else that even comes close to it. What's important is that we can team up and work together because we tend to drive the products really hard. So, that relationship with the vendor, at the technical side, is really important to us while selecting a vendor.
        Senior Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        Its versatility and portability are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good messaging product from IBM and is easy to use. It is very affordable and flexible, so I will advise other customers/companies to look into this product and use it. The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are the customer support and easy to use the product. It is also important if the vendors can provide training to the staff and always be behind the customers to help them.
        Senior Middleware Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Integrates one system to another system, and to .NET and Java applications.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution and you should go for it! When selecting a vendor, mainly the support part is very important, especially when something goes wrong in production; you don't want to leave the system down. This could cost the customer a lot of money, so having that level of support is important. Sometimes, we run into an issue where the support is not able to help, then we always reach out to our self-service representatives. After which, the ticket gets escalated and addressed pretty quickly, so that's the kind of attention required.
        Enterprise Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It scales and does guaranteed delivery. It can handle messages in various formats and structures.

• "It's ability to scale, it's ability to do guaranteed delivery and it's ability to do point-to-point of what we subscribe are the most valuable features."
        • "I would like the ability to connect with some of the more recent offerings, such as API Connect; being able to publish our MQ endpoints, the queues, the messaging infrastructure as IT assets."

What other advice do I have?

If they're thinking about a solution similar to this, I would say, look at your requirements and not just the business requirements. People often stop at that point. Look at your ability to support and run the platform, and the cost of running the platform, because, depending on your need, it could be very expensive to run a large messaging infrastructure. Also, think about what non-functional requirements you want to support now, but what you might have to support three, five, or ten years down the road. Think about it from the bigger picture perspective. And don't implement the solution for…
        Assistant analyst at Office of Attorney general of Texas
        The integration between applications is the most valuable feature. It is lightweight, so you only need to scale the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

MQ is awesome.
        RCM Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm
        It helped us with our Maximo integration between the users and the database administrators.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid to call. If you're worried about tackling it all on your own, don't be afraid to call IBM or call somebody that's already gone through the process and get some help, because we're all willing to help; you just have to ask. I have not given it a perfect rating because there's always room for improvement. I can't give them the improvements; they have to figure that out. It works really well but like I’ve mentioned, with the way everything's changing and developing every day, you always have to be on the lookout for what's coming up next. In general, when I am looking at vendors…
        IT Manager Enterprise Systems Administration at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
        It delivers the stability and security within our applications that we desire as an organization.

What other advice do I have?

Every application could always use improvements, but it's a very stable application and delivery solution tool that we are able to implement quickly and add applications to it quickly; keep us going in an ever-changing environment.
        Senior Business Leader at Visa
        ​Partnership with the vendor and stability of the product are most important when selecting a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Partnership with the vendor and stability of the product are most important when selecting a vendor. I mentioned AMQ earlier, and there's no guarantee that AMQ will be around next year. Stability is key to the product and the performance of it, you can get high availability, high performance too, but we talk about tens of thousands TPS through the product so, from that perspective there's no other competitor on it.
        IT Specialist at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's easy to work with and has been stable.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor, stability and reliability are most important to me.
        Technical Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
        It is robust. Its dependability and reliability are its most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

It's very stable and it's pretty straightforward. It just needs some more integration features to make better. The most important criteria for me when selecting a solution is that it meets the needs.
        Manager Middleware and Database Systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        We can pull our legacy data from the mainframe and bring it down into a modern Java front end.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate. Call IBM and get them in there tomorrow.
        Technology Solutions at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The major thing we like about it is zero transaction loss.

What other advice do I have?

Do the first configuration really well. Maybe involve IBM right from the beginning.
        Engineer at WinWholesale
        The scalability and high uptime are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. Compared to the other products on the market, it's a very good product. Based on your company needs, you should give it a try and it should work.
        Project Leader at EDF
        Its reliability and efficiency are valuable. It would be nice to have better reporting, such as elasticsearch

What other advice do I have?

When it's too difficult to have what we want with IBM, we develop our own, better solution and we try to integrate our own solution with IBM. When selecting a vendor, we look for the confidence, the relationship. We have to share the same objectives and to agree in order to deliver the same value to the client.
        IT Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's reliable, forward compatible, and scalable.

What other advice do I have?

Do the same thing we did. Make sure that you give it a small test first to make sure the solution really works well. Then, make sure it scales.
        Sr. Middleware Architect at a media company with 10,001+ employees
        Data is sent only once, asynchronously as well as synchronously.

What other advice do I have?

I think it all depends on the business need or the price. If the budget is strict, then they go with other solutions. They compromise on the business need. If they are OK with the budget, then they just go with it.
        Infrastructure Manager at Colruyt Group
        Allows close coupling between different domains.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it.
        Senior Manager
        The scalability of the environment is the most valuable feature. We also like the speed and the manageability.

What other advice do I have?

Study hard, and implement small, and then scale. Responsiveness, the tool, and price are what I look for in a vendor.
        IT Specialist at a wellness & fitness company
        We are using it for the APIs in order to integrate data into the source systems.

What other advice do I have?

We look at all the tools and then we compare them to WebSphere. We can then understand which tool we need. IBM is a leader, but there is always room for improvement. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor include: * The support that they provide * The knowledge they have of the tools that we need to purchase
        Data Flow Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It can be managed from a web page and it is stable.

What is most valuable?

It can be managed from a web page.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits of the new version are greater ease of use and management of MQ.

What needs improvement?

At a recent industry event, I discovered that the future version of MQ would provide more web services, such as API, and the ability to manage MQ using a web application. Those will be very good improvements to the product.

I can say that it's stable.

It is scalable, but not easily.

I have opened a ticket. Technical support are not bad.

Relationship is the most…
        Analyst at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We use it in conjunction with the integration bus for testing and development. The initial launch of the application seems slow.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to go ahead and use it. When looking for a vendor, I look at stability, their prevalence in the market, other companies using it, and the ability to get support for the product.
        Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The messaging and the security are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Go for MQ. It will solve your problems for interconnectivity and just whatever you need to do; scalability wherever you need to go.
        Software Developer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
        It's reliable, stable, and scalable.

What other advice do I have?

Use it.
        Senior Systems Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It gave us the ability to search through the data based on the identity of the person, the machine, or the IP address.

What other advice do I have?

From an analytics perspective, it's a good tool but you have to have the resources to own it. It's not only about buying it, nor is it about the capacity, but somebody has to care and feed it. It's not one of those you put it in and you can walk away and just consume the data. If you don't care and feed it, you won't get what you need out of it.
        Senior Assistance Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        The message synchronization and high availability is valuable. I'm looking for improved collaboration with Message Broker and DataPower.

What other advice do I have?

It's stable and they keep on just increasing the facilities they are providing in regards to clustering and the public supplied options. They're really doing good there. IBM is doing really good and they're still growing. IBM should keep the work up in the same way and eventually they'll get there. We have multiple offers out there from competitors, to beat out the open-sources and the competitors comparing with the license cause and the product-support cause. However, they aren't competitive enough and IBM is way above. In the end, you will get what you pay for. It all depends on the budget…
        Middleware Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        You subscribe to your queue, they get the message and then they do what they need to with it.

What other advice do I have?

From our perspective, we use the IBM suite. They provide great support when we need it. They're always evolving and are very stable, so all around it is a very good suite from IBM.
        IT Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We can track work orders and requests, so as to provide better customer service. A more graphical user interface is required.

What other advice do I have?

It works well, but I think that the overall scale of what you can do with this product adds, again, to the level of complexity, as to what you need in-house for support. Definitely, you should go out and really try and define your requirements before you actually go out to look at other products. You should know exactly how you're going to use it, and what you hope to get out of this product. Thus, you will have better information to actually go out and compare different products.
        Enterprise Solutions Architect at Intercom Enterprises
        Support for JMS and integration with WebSphere Application Server are valuable.

• "Support for JMS 2.0, because we develop solutions compatible with Java EE7."
        • "They need to add the ability to send full messages (header + payload) from the MQ Explorer program, not just the payload."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise the potential user to read about security considerations and compliance with security standards.
        System Engineer at Yapi Kredi Bank
        We are using it to integrate systems. It's an asynchronous system.

What other advice do I have?

If you have money, then you can use IBM MQ. It is very expensive. We are using almost every vendor such as Oracle, Microsoft, HPE, Solaris, etc. Our core systems are running on WebSphere, i.e., developed in Java code, so we are using most of the IBM tools. But, the most important issue when selecting a vendor is the support.
        IT Manager Z at BBVA
        It is the main component of our systems for delivering service to our customers.

What other advice do I have?

Well, I think you should try to use MQ. It's a great solution. I like it.
        Analyst at Erie Insurance
        It helps us with speed to market.

What other advice do I have?

Looking at this is important for any company that's looking for a solution. So, this needs to be one of your primary players.
        DB2 Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Even if systems are down, when they come back up, it resends the messages.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the use case and verify that this product, i.e, the IBM MQ, can meet all of those requirements. If not, then go back and say that this is the feature that we probably may need, because every company may be different in terms of requirements for the product. If they have something that is beyond what this product is capable of delivering, then go ahead, open up a price quote for it. It has always delivered and met all of our application requirements. Due to this, it has no shortcomings that I've experienced. The criteria we look for while selecting a vendor are stability, where they are…
        Middleware Admin at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's our messaging bus. We use it for events that are limited to various applications that we have.

What other advice do I have?

First, assess your requirement. Basically, understand what you want to do and that's where it all starts. Doing the right analysis, finding the right solution; that's where success and failure happens.
        MQV Admin at Allstate
        When you're doing maintenance, you can fail over the entire group of queue managers in that HA group or you can fail them individually if you'd like.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your file systems. Plan your messaging names and your network routes. You want to be ready with everything before you start and once you do that, you're in good shape. When choosing a vendor, I want knowledge and availability. Those are the two things that are most important.
        IT Engineer Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
        High availability and workload balancing are the main two valuable features. Lately, it hasn't been that stable.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely read the manual before you do anything.
        IT Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It is reliable and I think everybody in my organization is comfortable installing and implementing it.

• "The thing that I like about MQ most is its reliability. It's one of those types of products that just works. You don't have to tinker around with it too much."
        • "I would just like a more user-friendly experience to do common administration tasks. I know that you can use MQ Explorer, but having something that's already built in would definitely be useful."

What other advice do I have?

Have a common understanding of why you feel that you need MQ. MQ was something that we implemented years ago, so there may be new technologies out there that you may be able to utilize to make the project you're trying to do easier, and make your implementation a little easier.
        Technical Engineering at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        The asynchronous messaging and assured delivery are valuable features

What other advice do I have?

Implement it. It's pretty easy and straightforward. I don't do the vendor selection, but I get involved a little bit. When selecting a vendor, I would want ease of administration and installation.
        Application Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Access to support resources and to new release information in a timely manner are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Stick with the out-of-the-box requirements, unless something tells you to go in another direction. And if so, definitely work with the vendor to make sure that they give you the adequate tools to do that, or help you scope that out. When selecting a vendor, support is the most important criteria.
        Director of Technology at Brownells
        It's solid and it works. The training and scalability clustering could be a little bit easier.

What other advice do I have?

I would go back to the rock solid performance. If you can get through the setup and the learning curve with the product, it will just run and work for you. That would be the advice I would give.
        Senior Principal Integration Architect at Sabre
        It is robust and scalable. We can keep adding solutions to the mixture and it still performs as is.

• "It is very robust and very scalable."
        • "At a recent conference, I went to a presentation that had the latest version and it has amazing stuff that's coming out. So, I am excited to use those, specifically surrounding the web console and the fact that it's API integrated."

What other advice do I have?

I would do a PoC with IBM and there's a lot of technical help out there and people who would come to help you. So, use them and also look for other customers who have used the product. Then, you will be able to see the benefits of it and try to fit it in to your department.
        Power System Specialists at Fiserv
        Instead of sending files, you just send messages, whatever the transaction is.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to set up, it's very stable and it's trackable. MQ is a really good tool to be able to send messages back and forth between multiple platforms. If they're looking for a solution for sending files across, they can actually use MQ to send the messages across. I haven’t given it a perfect rating because there's always room for improvement. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is being strong and supporting it, and being there for a number of years, so I don't have to worry about an unsupported product. We use it mainly on iSeries and mainframe, so…
        Head of IT Department at BBAC
        It helps us integrate applications around PowerVM.

What other advice do I have?

In a financial institution, for very critical applications, when you invest, you have to invest one time. You don't have time to redo the work over and over. When you build your setup, your infrastructure, to do your service and your financial service for mission-critical applications, you have to choose the best-of-breed application that supports you. This is why we choose IBM without any hesitation. We have never faced any problem. It works fine. We are a bank, and regulations restrict us from using the cloud, at this point. We're using MQ only on our data center.
        Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's reliable and gives us flexibility to drive a solution on any platform.

What other advice do I have?

It's a worthwhile product. If it's priced accordingly and does everything for you, go for it. It's a good product. I haven’t given it a perfect rating because I haven't had enough experience with it to say, "This is where it's lacking something." As I’ve mentioned, it seems to be really solid and just works. The most important criteria for you when selecting a vendor is probably the durability of the vendor. You can get into these relationships that look good, with all good intentions from them, but they're not around. With IBM, obviously, we've invested heavily in the company for a long time…
        IT Infrastructure Services Lead - Mainframe and Enterprise Batch at Rogers Communications
        It provides transaction speed and is efficient from a CPU utilization perspective.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very stable product. It's been out in the industry for years. Many industries use it, so it fits into any commodity that you have. It's a very solid product. Give it a try, look at it and understand what it's used for. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are reputation, post-support, reliability, and improvements on the product. They’re not really using MQ to connect across cloud, mobile, or devices as part of the internet of things.
        Large System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We use it for a lot of real-time information between our systems.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at it. It's well worth the effort to play with it and to understand it.
        Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        It can integrate applications on different platforms and different technologies

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. It's not hard to do a proof of concept, get something going and build on that. You'll find that it's pretty easy to work with and it does a lot for you. The only reason I haven’t given it a perfect rating is probably because I don't know everything it can do. I probably could take better advantage of it, but I might not be doing that right now. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is reliability. I've got to trust that the product will do what they say, that they'll be able to support it, and that they'll be around in 5 or 10 years when I'm…
        IT Infrastructure Manager at Royal Caribbean International
        It manages communication between systems sitting on Linux or AIX and the "mother ship", our reservation system.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it, but I also highly recommend getting services with the actual product to make sure it's implemented correctly. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is truly being a partner; taking a little bit of the ownership; not just reading from the book of suggestions – because we can read that same book – but really understanding all of our environments, how we do business, make recommendations and implement them. That is important: not just making recommendations; doing it.
        Director IT Platform Engineering at Staples
        I think the most valuable feature is the scale that it can run at.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that whatever solution you have is going to scale to meet your needs and that you have the tooling infrastructure available to you, as well. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is, obviously, quality. Reliability of the product is number one but it needs to be cost effective, as well. We haven't really moved into the cloud with MQ at this point.
        Director IT Business Systems Applications at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We use it for real-time claims processing through a non-host platform into the host platform.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the right technologist, it's a good tool. It works. It scales. It does what we need it to do. It's stable. It's a technology that, again, is platform agnostic. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is: Is it a partner or is it someone that's just looking to get paid? We are not using MQ to connect across cloud, mobile, and devices as part of the internet of things, so much. It's more for internal. The barrier to success is that I haven't had a business need to use MQ. We use DataPower instead.
        Director, Computing Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        When we go to different reports, it queues everything up, waits, and then releases it when we're ready.

What other advice do I have?

I know open source is a big thing these days. I know a lot of people are talking about going out and buying open-source things or trying open-source things. I say, “Stick to products that have been around, that have been proven, and that you have the support of a vendor behind you who's willing to look at these things and develop around you.” IBM isn't a perfect company. It's got a lot to deal with, when you talk about other startups and other people trying to do the same things that it's been doing for a number of years, but in the long run, it's a good company, and I would say "stick with…
        Senior Technical Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
        With MQ FTE, we've been moving away from other file transfer options.

What other advice do I have?

I'd probably recommend going with MQ. Don’t waste time with some of the other products out there. We constantly re-evaluate our portfolio and solutions; test things; and do comparative work. We've had other vendors come in, and we've run tests with them or even done limited deployments. Sometimes we buy a package and it comes with either Oracle's OSB, webMethods, or another integration platform, if you will, with their own version of their bus and messaging. Those mostly stay point-contained solutions, and that's for a reason. For the cost and everything you factor in, MQ is a pretty good…
        Sr Project Manager - Infrastructure Delivery (Mainframe Services) at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Guaranteed delivery, even when there are disruptions.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the pros and cons. For us, it’s reliability; it’s stability; it’s reputation. Do not get hung up on the fact that it is one of those "legacy"-type connectivities. A lot of people might not want to look at MQ, look at IBM or look at something because “that's the old way of doing things.” It's the current way of doing things. It's a leading-edge way of doing things, and the fact that it's there 100% of the time. I'm not sure anybody’s perfect. They're very good at what they do. If they can play well with others, that's the real part of it right now. We're using WebSphere; we're using…
        IT Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        We use it to transfer a lot of big files. It's scalable.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using MQ for so many years. It's been really, really working great for us. I recommend it rather than looking at other solutions. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is that the product has to be good. Second, the support has to be really good and the people working with it should be genuine, and not just come up with what you want to hear. They have to be genuine. Sometimes the product is good, the support is good, but the people are not.
        Director Of Technology at Compuware
        A Windows or a Linux person can fully communicate with the z/OS system, or vice versa, without needing extra knowledge of the other systems.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a lot of internal systems that you rely on passing queue transactional data, and queuing data back and forth between a lot of systems, it's definitely a very reliable, very robust, very easy-to-use product. It's a very eloquent way of providing a solution to the problem of having disparate systems talk to each other. I think it's a very stable product. It works well. It does exactly what you think it's going to do. It scales well. It's easy for the application people that use it to identify with it, and know what they're doing. My rating is primarily based on all those things, and…
        Application Architect Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        Integration with a specific vendor product and stability are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Look at which features you really need. It works fine. It does what it's supposed to do. As far as being the best product in the universe, it's a plumbing product; it doesn't have a huge range of functionality; it has a very specific functionality. But it's reliable, so it's a good product.
        Unix Admin at Desjardins
        We use it to communicate with the IBM SIS service. I would like a dashboard for working with queues.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly suggest taking good training first, so you will really know the product and know how to implement it. Then, everything should be fine. Stability and support are the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with.
        Security And Audit Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It allows us to set up the security to determine what it gets to do on the mainframe and what it does not get to do.

What other advice do I have?

Before you implement it into RACF, really investigate the classes and how you're going to set those up, and make sure it's clear with the application development folks. Especially if you're trying to test QA and production separately, it's really important how those classes are set up, and how you set up the instructions for those guys. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are stability, technical support, obviously the more customers they have in a similar type of field; that's probably what's most important to us, generally. So far, we've had good luck with…
        IT Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        It's a core part of a middleware platform, integrating with our CRM billing application and our online transaction application.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool. It's a great integration middleware tool. Once you have your requirements set, MQ should meet it, but review: Make sure that you understand what you need, what you're setting up, and how you're going to deploy it. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is how easy it is to get the information from that vendor. Usually, when we get a project, it needs to be deployed yesterday; very tight timelines. If a vendor can come to the forefront, come with all the information, show that their product will meet our needs and it's above any other product…
        Technical Resource Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It connects our mainframe Intel-based systems and Power Systems together.

What other advice do I have?

From our experience with the functionality and the stability of the product, it's going to be difficult to find something that rivals it in the industry right now. My rating reflects its functionality and its ability to allow our systems, our enterprise, to run the way it does right now. It's purely a function of MQ's ability to allow the systems to talk to each other. Support and supportability are the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with. The ability to handle challenges quickly and responsively.
        Director Mainframe System Engineering at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It cuts out a lot of programming that has to be done for transforming data into the format that we need it to be.

What other advice do I have?

One of the things that we've been asked about is using open-source message queuing alternatives. One of the things we've always fallen back on is that we like the IBM support; we like the release. We don't want to have to worry as much about the levels of software; IBM already takes care of that. It integrates with the other products that we're using. All of those things kind of play together, especially in our case; we're a very big WebSphere Application Server, and as I’ve mentioned, a very big IIB server as well. It's really important that they all work and play together. I’ve had really…
        IT Architect Mainframe at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It provides standardization in terms of messaging.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. Don't complicate things. Try to stick to the, let's say, out-of-the-box solutions. Don't be too creative. MQ is about sending messages; it doesn’t incorporate any logic at all. When selecting a vendor to work with, the most important criteria is that it has to be a strategic vendor for my company to begin with. We have had a mainframe for a long time, so that's quite natural.
        Vice President - Enterprise Computing at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Message persistence and reliability is one of the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are that it has to match a business need. Stability, for me, is incredibly important. Ease of use, installation, and maintenance; I don't want to purchase anything from any vendor where they have to send a team in to install it and get it running. If they have to send in their engineers to install it because they don't think my engineers can do it, I don't want the software. I guess those are big ones. It's an incredibly reliable, stable product for us. I think there are things our firm can do better. I think we're going…
        System Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        It provides content security and delivery from the network protocol perspective.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to lay out your infrastructure in a fashion you can support.
        Associate Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It allows us to observe the status of our applications in real time.

What other advice do I have?

As far as advice, I would just say familiarize yourself with MQ as much as you can. The Redbooks are great. The implementation of that software solution is something that anyone should be knowledgeable about. We have a list of approved vendors so I guess the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor is just a reliable relationship. That's all approved by a different team. We have a hand in maintaining some of the relationships but not much in the creation of them.
        Sr. System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        IBM Websphere MQ is a great messaging product

What is most valuable?

Its ability to transfer large volumes of data reliably.

How has it helped my organization?

I have seen in many organizations it has helped in designing great architectural solutions by helping transfer messages between different systems.

5 Years

Customer Service: Did not use. Technical Support: Did not use.

N/A

N/A

Through Vendor Team. Excellent.

What

Download our free IBM MQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
        Quick Links