IBM PowerVM Software Reviews

Filter by:Reset all filters
PrimozBergant
System Engineer at Unistar
Feb 07 2020

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility in terms of managing the hardware resources such as RAM, CPU, and the network.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not user-friendly in places, so it could use some improvement. If PowerVM were cheaper then it would better compete with VMware vCenter.

The price varies from case to case and you have to negotiate it for every project. Pricing and licensing policies are not completely transparent.

We are also supporting VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V. Customers generally choose IBM PowerVM when they have a great demand for stability. However, they sometimes choose VMware because it is cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this type of solution is to choose PowerVM if they want something that is really stable. I think that it is the only answer because the other solutions have perhaps evolved too quickly. We have seen… more»
MohamedGaber
Unix Team Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 30 2020

How has it helped my organization?

It's in English, so its exceptional qualities make the control environment more flexible, easier, more stable, and easy to recover after issues. Overall, it has many advantages over using different servers.

What needs improvement?

IBM now makes provides us with quality GUI tools to make the experience easier and successful. I don't have an issue with the current configuration or with the GUI. I worked on both with the team. I would like for IBM to be more focused on the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I think everybody is going to be migrating to cloud and I think that IBM can make things easier if they also did this. I would rate IBM PowerVM nine out of ten. In the next release, I hope to see an extension of both the end part with the GUI.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, VMware, KVM and others in Server Virtualization Software. Updated: February 2020.
398,567 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Allen-Provencal
Head of IT at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 26 2019

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like most is the versatility. This solution is very secure when compared to others. This is a very flexible solution. This is a portable solution that you can locate wherever you want.

What needs improvement?

Any improvements that can be made in the interface will go a long way to helping us work better.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is by IBM and they are a vendor who does what they say they're going to do. I recommend IBM and this solution any day. Without hesitation, I would suggest to anybody that they try it. Overall, I am happy with this solution, although more research and any new additions are always welcome. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Ahmed_Alaiady
IT Infrastructure Manager at Cloud Technology
Oct 16 2019

What do you think of IBM PowerVM?

What is most valuable?

What I like about this solution is that it is easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the management of the program.

I have been using IBM PowerVM for seven years now.

The stability of this solution is very high and you don't have to be afraid that you may lose data.

I would say the technical support is average - it isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I am used to technical support in Europe and America, where it is very good.

The initial setup was quite complex, because I use the solution for visualization.

System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 30 2020

What do you think of IBM PowerVM?

What is our primary use case?

PowerVM is used to virtualize IBM Power Servers. It is for IBM Power Servers. It needs specific experience and needs to be professionally managed. Our customers needed proficiency and practical experience with it and it's not easy to find experienced engineers for it.

What is most valuable?

The stability is the most valuable aspect of this solution. IBM is the most powerful and stable platform.

What needs improvement?

The price is high.  I would like for them to add more automation features.

Scalability is good.

We use IBM technical support mainly for critical cases. Their response is very good from their side.

What other advice do I

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About IBM PowerVM

398,567 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM PowerVM Questions

What is IBM PowerVM?

Power is server virtualization without limits. Businesses are turning to PowerVM server virtualization to consolidate multiple workloads onto fewer systems, increasing server utilization and reducing cost. PowerVM provides a secure and scalable server virtualization environment for AIX, IBM i and Linux applications built upon the advanced RAS features and leading performance of the Power Systems platform.
Also known as
PowerVM
IBM PowerVM customers
Sto, Soitec, SNO, Bundesrechenzentrum GmbH, Al Mansour Holding, Baptist Health of Northeast Florida, Huhtamaki, ELK Group, IT-Informatik, Arkansas Tech University, Pneuhage
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Server Virtualization Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, VMware, KVM, and more!