Keysight Oscilloscopes Overview

What is Keysight Oscilloscopes?

More engineers are switching to Keysight oscilloscopes because they help you:

• Get your products to market faster with award-winning oscilloscopes that offer the fastest update rates, the deepest memory, the industry’s only capacitive touch screen, and the most oscilloscope software options.
  • Produce the highest-performing products with measurements you can trust thanks to oscilloscopes with industry-leading signal integrity and the largest selection of oscilloscope probes.
  • Achieve the lowest cost of ownership with multiple instruments in one mainframe and easy upgrades.
  • Get a compact instrument with zero compromise in functionality with the Keysight Streamline Series USB oscilloscopes.

Keysight Oscilloscopes is also known as InfiniiVision Series, Infiniium Series.

Keysight Oscilloscopes Customers

Nokia Bell Labs

Keysight Oscilloscopes Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AC
Principal at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The technical support ecosystem is what really makes it good.

What is our primary use case?

I use Keysight products on and off depending on the customers that I work with. If they have Keysight equipment, then I will use it. My primary use case is measurement equipment. I work on high-speed designs, With those, there is a whole array of Keysight equipment, but again, when we go as in-house consulting engineers, we work with the tools that the customers have.

• "Because they're such a big industry standard name, their products are standardized across many customers, which is why people own these products."
  • "The customer support is very good. If you need an application to do any measurement, you can easily get a hold of people to help you with it. This is a whole ecosystem."
  • "There is a learning curve depends on the client that I am working with. E.g., if I'm working with a client, and they have a test and measurement equipment company, when I go to another company, the new company may not be using the same model."
HA
Senior System Design Engineer at Xilinx
MSP
I can use it to easily measure frequency, time, and other complex measurements

What is our primary use case?

We use it to debug our system designs and see the signals on the physical side, especially on Internet IPs. We're using the 1 GHz oscilloscope. It's a high-speed serial design. We are using it to debug the signals of the high speed serial. It is throwing it around 25 gigs. We also use it to measure all of our reference clock frequencies. We are using all board differential and single-ended channels to send signals. The product is used in data center applications.

• "The user interface is simple and straightforward, so I can easily measure frequency, time, and other complex measurements."
  • "The user interface has a load of features that come with it, which is why it is an eight out of ten."

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product to do your basic signal integrity tests and check your signals in the systems. I would recommend using this product. It took us 30 to 40 minutes to get acclimated to the solution. The user interface is good and neat, with not much clutter. It's straightforward to use, so anybody can quickly understand the product and use it. For what we need, we get that with the features on the current design. We are not using it to support connect devices nor are we planning to going forward.
YL
Engineer at Huawei Technologies
It has the highest bandwidth and resolution on the market

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to do research. We're currently doing optimal links research. We are measuring PAM-4 signals with it.

How has it helped my organization?

We generate a waveform from the AWG. We using the scope to sample the waveform, then do offline processing.

What is most valuable?

We use the high-end scope and high-end AWG, having the bandwidth and signal rates forwarded to us. Its resolution is very good. It has the highest bandwidth and resolution on the market.

We are using the full bandwidth of the product.

The technical support is good, and it has very strong customer…
PA
Signal Integrity Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
The Ecal feature has made it very easy for me to do calibrations. For IoT development, we need more automation.

• "The Keysight Ecal feature has made it very easy for me to do calibrations."
  • "The technical support is okay, but sometimes they are on a different page than us. If it is something wrong with the scope, they are okay. However, if something technical goes wrong, like the calibration, it is hard to get the information that we need because it is hard to share everything and explain all the measurements in real-time."
  • "We are using this product to support connected devices for IoT development, but we need more automation."

What other advice do I have?

The learning curve is not that steep. If you are used to some of the measurements beforehand, it is easy and straightforward. The application space that we are using the solution to target is high-speed serial.
EW
Senior Staff Hardware Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
The product's functionality makes it easier to measure bit error rate

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is measuring PCIe and differential signals (CCIX). We use a high-speed scope for measuring differential signal, which measures for electrical specifications. This is what our PCIe protocols are all about.

• "The product's functionality makes things easier for my partner, who is doing the PCIe design. He is able measure the product's usage and bit error rate."
  • "I would like them to build in more high-speed functions, such as FEC or PCIe, built into the array. PERT to be built-in for more specific product call. These would make our lives much easier."

What other advice do I have?

Keysight is number one and top of the line. While there is a learning curve, they do provide training. Keysight does a three-day training onsite. We are not using this product to connect with support connected devices, like IoT development, and are not planning to going forward.
HX
Director of Data Storage System Architecture at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The user interface is good and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the IBIS-AMI Model. We are using the Advanced Design System (ADS). We are doing the IBIS model for our customers. We develop our service, then our customer will evaluate it and comeback after checking whether our service has good correlation. The application space that we target is high-speed serial, like PCIe, SAS, or SATA, which are all the industry standard. We develop it and deliver it to our customer.

• "Before silicon came back, our customers' performance was affected. Using these tools, we are able to deliver performance to our customers."
  • "If the simulation runs for a long time, it will suddenly crash. If they can debug that, the product would be better."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool to use. If they had a debug feature, it would be helpful. We use the tool to measure some waveforms, which we normally give to our customers for use in data center applications. We are not using this product to support connected devices, like IoT development, nor do we have plans to do so going forward.
LK
Signal Integrity Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Enables our high-speed compliance measurements for USB and display port HDMI, but GUI needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our lab has a 16-gigahertz scope and the 64-gigahertz scope. We have some other test equipment in our labs. We have an area of equipment in the lab that we use for high-speed measurements. We use them for high-speed compliance measurements: electrical measurements of all the external interfaces, such as USB, display port HDMI, etc., which enable you to use your pen drives or connect your display. I personally run less of the measurement side now, I do more simulations, but we always correlate simulations with measurements and we need to get an accurate measurement and an accurate simulation to… more »

• "We rely on the data and we make our design calls, risk-assessment, all based on the measurements that we take with the Keysight equipment."
  • "Their GUI is not the best. They need to improve on that. I think their software team needs to put in a little bit more work on how they are presenting the application on the scope."
  • "I would also like to see a more detailed change-notice from version to version, what changed. If they had a more detailed description of what is changing and the reason for it, rather than just releasing, that would be good for us so we know whether or not to upgrade."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know what speeds you are trying to test. Ask them for a demo. Ask them for some correlation data, some other products that they have measured. Ask for good pricing. Don't go for the highest-bandwidth scope if you don't need it because it's going to cost you more and it really doesn't make any difference in your measurements. You need to see what you are trying to test and buy accordingly. In terms of a learning curve, I've been using smaller scopes for ten to 15 years so it is not an issue for me. As long as you have a basic understanding of what you are trying to see, what you…
RH
Technical Leader at a tech company with 51-200 employees
We are able to easily record and save our test setup

What is our primary use case?

We use it for high-speed signaling, including RF. Of course, 5G is catching up and in the future it is going to converge at a certain frequency range that will benefit both sides of the industry. The signal we are measuring is primarily the internet signal through the data centers and switching routers. We are not directly measuring the RF signal, like for the 5G wireless. However, all the data from 5G is going through the backbone before translating into the digital signal, which requires much higher bandwidth to accommodate all the 5G signals. We are definitely utilizing the full bandwidth.

• "The most valuable features are its quality and reliability... The good thing about the GUI interface which is, of course, software-based, is that you can record and save your test setup."
  • "Something I'd like to see is much better documentation and some good examples. That would be very helpful for a new user to get better at using the new test equipment."

What other advice do I have?

Moving forward to the next-generation of design, the support from testing is very important because you could end up in a situation that you are working on something where there is no testing instrument available. If you can work with a company that works on the leading edge, provide them with feedback and insight, that will be helpful. You will be able to start early engagement, using a solution before anybody else has a final product. My advice would be to build a very good relationship with a testing company. The learning curve depends. In the old days it was a matter of getting used to a…
HR
Electrical Principal Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Facilitates compliance measurements that correlate with the product specs

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently using the 86100D and I've used the 86100C as well. The "D" is the most recent one so I'm using that right now. We use it for test and validation. We want to verify measurements in our lab to make sure for our current products that everything looks optimal, as per the specs. We make sure that whatever we're looking at, the scope can give us all the features to validate that product. We use it for Tx jitter measurements, compliance measurements for ten-gig SFP+, QSFP28, and QSFP+. That's where it really is helpful, to do compliance measurements that actually correlate with the… more »

• "It breaks down all the parameters that we need to look at."
  • "In terms of additional capabilities, I would like to see more touchscreen and a larger screen. That would help."
  • "There is room for improvement with some of the features of the scope. I would like them to make it a bit more simplistic... For example, if I want to look at what the total jitter is, they should make it simpler to find that, with different tabs."

What other advice do I have?

Study what you're looking at. Analyze. See if the tool is applicable to what you are trying to measure. You have to do your own research and see if the solution matches the application you're looking for and what the requirements are. Of course, there's always a price budget so that's something that you have to look at. But I would highly recommend this product. It's a good product performance-wise. I've used the product for more than seven years. I've used it at different companies as well, not just my current company. We used sampling oscilloscopes and real-time scopes to make eye diagram…
QC
Signal Integrity Engineer at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Gives us the accuracy, speed and high-bandwidth we need for switches and routers

What is our primary use case?

We use a 40-gigahertz network analyzer to look at in-session loss or retention loss at 28 gigahertz. For us, the solution targets high-speed switches and routers, high-speed PCB. We are measuring 400-gig Ethernet. We're definitely using the full bandwidth of the product.

• "It's accurate, fast, has high bandwidth, and the PLTS is pretty convenient."
  • "Some of the models have only two ports. It takes much longer to use a two-port. If they had a four-port, it would be much better."

What other advice do I have?

Create a shortlist and have a demo with each of them. Try each one. Once you do some trials, experiments, you will know what you want to choose. There are several things we look at: One is the accuracy, the second is the reliability of the equipment, and the third is how easy it is to use. There is no learning curve because I've been using it for so long and it's pretty simple. The solution is field-upgradable. We may add more functionality to the PLTS. I would rate the product at eight out of ten. It's pretty easy to use, pretty reliable. It doesn't break, so it can work in a very harsh…
RF
Engineer III Electrical & RF at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The PLTS and network analyzer software meet our needs but the solution is expensive

What is our primary use case?

We're using the N5227A 67-gigahertz analyzer for signal integrity applications, the passive components. The solution is targeting the high-speed application space for us. Since we design components, primarily connectors, it needs to be high-speed to meet all the demands a standard connector company would need to meet, like a Tyco or Amphenol. We are measuring standard step signals, full signals. We are utilizing the full bandwidth of the product.

• "It does everything that I need it to with the PLTS software and the network analyzer software."
  • "The user interface can be buggy at times. But I'm an engineer, I figure out how to get around them pretty easily so that's not that much of a concern."
  • "I would like to see better post-processing data utility tools like a de-embedding."

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that there are other solutions out there that are cheaper. And if you're willing to put in the extra work to make up for the disparity between the products, I think it can be done. There was a learning curve, but only in so far as I needed to be more familiar with signal integrity design in general. They do offer a lot of resources available to budding SI engineers. As soon as you get the basics down, you get the gist of how to use their equipment. Our solution is field-upgradable. We plan on upgrading it, probably within the next five to ten years. I would rank the product at seven…
Applications Engineering Leader, Principal Investigator at E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
Helps us ensure our materials' performance and DKDF measurements

What is our primary use case?

We use Keysight VNA to make sure of our materials' performance and DKDF measurements. It's mainly for 5G and high-speed, high-frequency systems. VNA can be used in multiple ways. Right now we are using it to characterize our materials. But in the future, we want to make some devices, like antennas or circuits, using our materials and measure them using VNA. It has a lot of capabilities. For us, it's mainly RF signals. Typically, we measure about 40 gigahertz or so. We are not currently using the full bandwidth but we expect to in the future.

• "It can go up to a very high frequency, up to 120 gigahertz. And the user interface is really good. It's really easy to navigate."
  • "We tried to connect multiple computers with a KVM switch but we could not do that using Keysight VNA. Keysight VNA comes with the PC inside it. We have other equipment as well, and we tried to combine it so that we had one monitor to control everything. With Keysight we could not do it. That's something of an inconvenience."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend trying this product. It's a really reliable and high-performance machine. In terms of a learning curve on the equipment, I had some training on the VNA before we purchased it, so for me training was done within a week or so. It was not really hard. But for colleagues, it took them some time to learn it. Upgrades are always welcome. Apart from VNA, we need to purchase all the fixtures, other equipment to connect to VNA. They are very expensive tools, and that's part of upgrading what we are doing in the lab. The solution, performance-wise is a ten out of ten…
RN
Project Hardware Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
The application utilities loaded on the scope help debug different protocols

What is our primary use case?

I use it with connected devices, like IoT, in the lab to validate, verify, or design. With this scope, we are measuring: Internet signals, media signals, PCIe, USB signals, and some other low-speed serial interfaces.

• "I use the serial decoder for the serial interfaces, which helps me debug my product quickly."
  • "Everybody is looking for more automation support, so that if they can incorporate more protocols. It makes it easier."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very nice product. Whatever feature that I was looking for, it was within my budget. It was affordable. I can upgrade it later, if necessary. Plus, if something with an initial option was going out of my budget, they offered to give me something like a refurbished model. This made it worthwhile because the other option I explored was way beyond my budget, and I simply could not get approval for that additional amount of money. Always reach out to the area manager or application engineer to show your interest. They are able to hook you up with the right technical application engineer…
MM
System Engineer at Inphi Corporation
Enables us to measure 100-gigabit per second PAM-4 signals

What is our primary use case?

We are measuring eye diagrams of the eyes of high-speed PAM signaling. It's the primary reference for measuring the quality of our transmitted signal, so we're using it to validate that we made the correct chip and that our circuits are working as expected. They're 100-gigabit per second PAM-4 signals and they're enabling the data center and high-speed wireless connectivity. We're utilizing the full bandwidth of the product. For us, the solution is targeting 5G, high-speed serial, and embedded systems. For example, in 5G, we're using the optical, we're measuring T.Q, or some fancy optical… more »

• "The user interface has never been better. They improved it a few years ago with a more modern oscilloscope interface and it's easier to use, even for more junior people in our lab."
  • "I would like be able to measure multi-lane simultaneously. Right now, the high-performance jitter solution measures one signal. I would like to capture many at the same time."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to get the demos because everyone's application tends to be different. Sometimes it's the fixturing, or sometimes you realize some things in particular that make a difference for your needs. It's hard, just in theory, to know. There's very much a learning curve. It's hard for me to talk about it in detail because I have used the tool for over 20 years, so as it evolves, I evolve too. Since the very beginning of time I've used many different solutions for measuring, starting off with HP then finally going to Keysight. It's always been a reference measurement method. The…
AC
EMI/RFI Sr. Staff Engineer at Huawei Technologies
The accuracy, embedding, and calibration system are all key features for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for experimental measurements. The space we use it in is high-speed and some instances of 5G as well. But we use it mostly for high-speed serial links. We are mostly measuring signal integrity and S-parameters. We're not using full bandwidth yet. We're still at lower speeds, but very soon we may be using the full bandwidth. We use it to support connected devices as well. I can't go into details, but it's part of the internet of things. In my company we are trying to create a connected world. That is one of our main goals. There are different products located in different… more »

• "The user interface is nice. It describes the output well, so it's easy to use."
  • "I would like to see the possibility of interacting with the software, new features for software post-processing. For example, once you're done measuring, it would be nice to be able to generate some data starting from the measurement data."

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly recommend that colleagues use the same solution for their application. I don't remember at the moment which model we're using, but it's the one with the highest bandwidth for the VNA. There is a little bit of a learning curve but it's not too difficult because there is good support. I had some previous experience and it took me a few days to start and then, to get a little bit more familiar, took a few weeks. In terms of field-upgradability, there a possibility by changing the software to add new features and we want to take advantage of that. For example, I know that the VNA…
YS
Technologist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides us with a one-stop solution, ease of use, and good support

What is our primary use case?

We use them for experimental measurements.

• "It's a one-stop solution. It does everything we need. The combined functionality is the biggest benefit."
  • "There is room for improvement in the upgradeability of the products. When we buy a platform, we would like that platform to survive two or three generations, because it is very expensive. If they could provide a more modular type of design, so if we want to upgrade one functionality then we could upgrade that module, rather than all the equipment, that would be helpful. That modularity is something we would like to see."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to evaluate the Keysight product. In our company we have been using the Keysight equipment for at least 15 years. We use many different versions so I do not remember specific model numbers but we use a lot of the scopes, as well as PPD. Technology advances in this field so we are always in a learning curve because there is always new technology, new products, new features come out. I would rate this product at eight out of ten because of the features, ease of use, and the support.
CK
Signal and Power Integrity Technical Manager at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Comes with an effective calibration kit and a very good, graphical user interface

What is our primary use case?

We use this for testing our product and also for doing major maintenance, simulation correlation. For example, we design a test for what we call our channel test vehicle. We have a simulation result according to our structure, such as a BGA footprint. Then we use the channel test vehicle, and test with Keysight VNA so we can compare the result with our simulation. For us, the solution is targeting high-speed serial, like I/O ports, things like a 25-gigabit per second signaling array. We use it for a lot of I/O components and connector cable qualification. We utilize the full bandwidth.

• "The user interface is very good, very graphical. It provides a lot of help in using and operating it."
  • "Every component has a manufacturing tolerance. I hope Keysight software can help with the tolerance loss in manufacturing variance, which can be ten percent or five percent. In the real world, we cannot fire a really perfect test with very smooth impedance. I would like to see Keysight provide a solution to solve the issue of loss of manufacturing variance."

What other advice do I have?

Review case studies from the manufacturers' data sheets and compare their price and their performance. In the high-speed area there are a lot of data that need to be considered, such as your dynamic range for the equipment and the noise level. We need very high accuracy, so it's better to compare before buying from any supplier. I have been using this product for at least ten years. Already in my third year of my PhD I was using Keysight, although I don't think it was called Keysight at the time. In terms of the model I'm using currently, I don't remember the type and specific model number but…
TP
Senior Signal Integrity Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Their software and hardware are integrated, but I would like more accuracy, particularly for multiport measurements

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for R&D and production testing. We currently have a few models. We have a 26 gig with 32 ports. We also have 40 gig and 67 gig models. I'm an SI engineer. We use Keysight equipment almost six hours everyday, making a lot of measurements.

• "Their software and hardware are integrated, so we don't have to spend a lot of time processing the data."
  • "Sometimes, it's quite hard to get the technical support to come onsite. If we run into a hardware, measurement, or software issue, we may have to wait a long time for them to come."
  • "I would like more accuracy, particularly for multiport measurements."

What other advice do I have?

We are doing high-speed copper cable measurement at about 112 gigabit per second requiring bandwidth at about 40 to 50 gigahertz. The majority of our products are connected devices. We are currently using it for 56G ANSI, 56G PAM-4, and 112G PAM-4. These are our three main signals. We are utilizing the full bandwidth of the product. Keysight equipment is very popular.
EMC Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
The user interface is very simple. Everyone can use it.

What is our primary use case?

We are using Keysight Oscilloscopes and software for assimilations.

• "Its versatility and accuracy are the most valuable features."
  • "The user interface is very simple. Everyone can use it."
  • "They can improve, but I don't know how."

What other advice do I have?

I suggest looking over their use case site. We are using it to connect IoT to our products. We're measuring high-speed signals, like USB, PCI Plus, HDMI, DDR, memories, power rails, etc. The application space the solution targets is embedded systems. For example, an embedded PC for industry automation, including wellness in strength machines or bicycles.
JL
Design Methodology and Technical Support at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
The learning curve is usually really quick

• "While it depends on the field, the learning curve is usually really quick."
  • "The integration between different software and hardware panels could be improved. In the software, it's not as strong as the other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

The application space the solution targets is usually telecommunications, like 4G and 5G. We are measuring RX and TX signals.
Machine Learning Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard

What is our primary use case?

I automate these devices for the other persons to use and take measurements. Our current model is a VNA machine.

• "It's easier to automate and connect with multiple devices, and at the same time with laptops."
  • "While the user interface is good with respect to instrumentation, but with respect to documentation, I do not like it. Its documentation is slightly bad. It was not organized properly. The way it's organized is very difficult to understand, so it takes lot of time to search for one thing in particular."

What other advice do I have?

If you want to use it manually and automate it, it's easy. However, for automation, if the documentation was better, it would decrease your time using it. At first, you need to read the documentation, or if you want to search for any particular thing, it takes lot of time. So, you need to invest a lot of money to start this. If someone has some experience with Keysight, then it would be easier. We are measuring signals mostly related to switching, like networking. The type of signals that we are measuring are signalling integrity. I don't think it's being used for connection devices. I have…
RZ
Technologist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It improves the functionality of our products and the products that I design

What is our primary use case?

We are using Keysight for characterization. The signals that I'm evaluating are basic analog signals for hard disk drives.

• "Its 4 port has true differential with quite a few de-embedding features. It goes up to 40 GHz with high performance."
  • "The user interface is not that good. It's not very intuitive. It's functional, but it's not designed for ease of operation. It's designed for functionality."

What other advice do I have?

The functionality is excellent, but the reliability is poor. The application space that the solution is targeting is PC components: hard disk drives. We are not using this product to support connected devices.
JX
Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It can capture the jitter very quickly and provide some statistical analysis

What is our primary use case?

I'm using Keysight VNA, Oscilloscopes, and Spectrum Analyzer. The oscilloscope is mostly used for Keysight because they have a very high resolution and very high memory digs. They also can capture the signal reading at a very high signal read. We regularly go to 100 gigabits so we can capture a lot of signal for Keysight.

• "The user interface is very user-friendly. You can use a lot of functions in their scope and will provide them for you. You can update the scope's software by asking Keysight to update the software when you want."
  • "I would like more customized functions, so we can do the programming and definitions ourselves. There is an automation flow to capture this signal, and we would like to do this ourselves."

What other advice do I have?

We always are sharing this solution with our peers and colleagues. The solution is targeting high-speed serial applications. For high-speed signal designs, you need to get the eye diagram beautiful. The learning curve of the solution depends on the quality of the material. Some things take a day or two to get acclimated, and others take a year or two. I am working on some larger devices, so I don't plan on using it for IoT. Though some of our department using it for IoT, I don't have any details.