Metallic Overview

Metallic is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery as a Service providers. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup for Office 365: Metallic vs Veeam Backup for Office 365

What is Metallic?

Metallic is the SaaS division of Commvault that delivers powerful, enterprise-grade backup and recovery technology with simple cloud delivery. With Metallic, you’ll be up and running in as little as 15 minutes with no big upfront investment. Proven Commvault technology with built-in best practices means fast, secure backups and speedy, granular restore to protect you against data loss. Metallic offers solutions for VM & Kubernetes backup, Office 365 backup, endpoint backup, and Salesforce backup, and covers a wide range of workloads running both on premises and in the cloud. Whether you’re protecting 10 terabytes of data or 10,000+, Metallic gives you the best choice and flexibility for your hybrid cloud journey.

Safeguard your data now and later with all the benefits of SaaS - from free trial to hassle-free deployment and simplified ongoing management.

Metallic Buyer's Guide

Download the Metallic Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Metallic Customers

Learn more at Metallic.io

Metallic Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Metallic pricing:
  • "I looked at this at the beginning of the year and I don't remember what the prices were for all the other services, but I thought that Metallic's was fair. It was also highly rated, which was even more important than cost because I need a reliable, secure, backup method."

Marlo Alexander
System Administrator at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Feb 17, 2020
Provides us with Office 365 backup in a SaaS model, significantly reducing backup admin

What is our primary use case?

We really needed a product where we could extend the Microsoft Office 365 backups and archival process, as well as back up our Office 365 SharePoints and our users' OneDrives. That way we could have a seven-year retention plan and if we need to go back and grab someone's email that they accidentally deleted two years ago, we could. We also needed a solution that we didn't have to have onsite storage for, because we had a storage restriction onsite. This product gave me the ability to have everything stored, as a SaaS model. Everything is right there.

• "This solution gives me the full insight without having to use other products, metrics, or reporting tools."
  • "I would like to see some of the code execute a little bit better when I add new licenses and assign licenses to users. I'd like to see that information update a little quicker."

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson I've learned is to remind people that they still need to back up Office 365 emails. Just because it's not on their premises, they should still back it up. Commvault gives you a fantastic 45-day trial. It's worth trying it. They have a really good, long trial period. They will answer any questions you have during that process. I know a lot of people say, "Just try the product." With this one, try the product and you'll see the ease of use. For deployment and maintenance of the solution, for our size of company, it's just one person, a system administrator who does overall…
Kristian Smith
Manager, Technical Services & Support at Linamar
Jul 28, 2020
Significantly reduced the amount of manual work required to manage our backup operations

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for Office 365 Backup. We started out as an Exchange Online only company. Then we were looking for some sort of backup solution to augment the existing Microsoft Office 365 archiving features for a price that was more compatible with our company versus what Microsoft was offering for their archiving solution. We also needed the ability to do time and date stamp retrievals. We ended up settling on Commvault at that time. We've been with them, and we've seen it more from being in the Commvault virtualized infrastructure to being the Metallic.io SaaS solution. We protect… more »

• "It has significantly reduced the amount of manual work required to manage your backup operations. We're going from an on-prem to a non-on-prem, we're all doing nonsolutions. So we really can't compare it against anything else."
  • "It's taken our backup from being a full-time job to being when you need it, set it up. Our users could be empowered to access their own data backups. Which means we can alleviate a lot of the administration from the backup administrator."
  • "The navigation of it needs improvement in terms of the UX. The product itself, it works as expected. It's all user experience and user interface improvements that could be made and it could be made a little more consumer-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

They do a fantastic job with their documentation, so you can follow their documentation and implement it. I would rate it an eight out of ten. We can't compare it against another staff solution that we're using. So for now it works for us, we're not seeing any issues, and it's better than what we used on-prem.
Learn what your peers think about Metallic. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,483 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Benjamin R Roper
Backup and Recovery Specialist at Parsons
Aug 5, 2020
Handles Linux, Mac, and Windows and requires no effort on my part to manage it

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint backups. They are laptops and we needed a solution that could handle Linux, Macintoshes, and Windows, in different locations, and Metallic was the best option available.

• "There's no impact on the endpoint. It runs in the background and it's something that you install and then forget about."
  • "The compression and deduplication are great for optimizing bandwidth and speed. I don't have to worry about it or think about it, and, because it's a SaaS solution, I don't have to worry about the storage size."
  • "I would like to see more customizable reports. I have reports going right now, but the daily report, for example, shows something like 40 jobs that ran when there are just a few endpoints on there. I'd like to just know if the endpoint was successfully backed up, not how many times. More customizable reports would be nice to have."

What other advice do I have?

It's simple and it has very low-to-no impact on endpoints. It runs in the background and has some really cool features for the end-users to use on the computer, if they want to look at their backups, do restores, or to find their computer location. But it is very simple and basic for non-technical people to use. I like the interface, how it works, and being able to get daily reports of any failures or anything that happens is very useful. I would rate it a 10 out of 10. I haven't come across anything that's better.
John Gagliano
Aviation Attorney at Gagliano Law Offices
Aug 19, 2020
Eliminates the time I spent on manual backups and protects my OneDrive data

What is our primary use case?

It is used as a single backup for my small office's Microsoft 365 account, particularly the OneDrive files.

• "In terms of the speed of backup, it operates seamlessly, so I'd rate it as excellent... with my daily use and workload, quite honestly I don't even notice when it backs up."
  • "The setup was a little bit difficult for a non-IT person like me. My OneDrive is protected by multifactor authentication, and to get the backup to begin behind that multifactor authentication took a little bit of almost customized support, even though I was following the instructions and the videos. That process could have been easier."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it. The biggest lesson I've learned from using it is that when I expand, I'm going to need an IT consultant to assist, so that I don't have to spend the time doing it. I will want someone who can deal with the issues efficiently. With the caveat that I haven't needed a backup yet, since nothing catastrophic has happened, I would rate Metallic and their team as a 10. I can only assume and hope that if, God forbid, something were to happen and I were to need the backup, it would be as good as the service has been so far.
Will Knudsen
Network Engineer at Rosnet
Sep 6, 2020
Reduces the amount of manual work required to manage our backup operations

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup and disaster recovery. We protect Windows and Linux servers, Windows 10, SQL, and Office 365.

• "Integration with Active Directory and the Azure platform make it a complete solution."
  • "It's very easy to set up the storage across all platforms. This allows us to be dynamic and change on-the-fly."
  • "There is room for improvement in the Knowledge Base and error reporting. I would like to see best practices in the Knowledge Base, and have the ability to diagnose errors without contacting support."

What other advice do I have?

Take your time to run the trial and understand what you're getting yourself into. The move from on-premise to a cloud solution is definitely a change. Be patient with the process and open to understanding the SaaS solution.