NetApp SnapMirror Overview

NetApp SnapMirror is the #3 ranked solution of our top Data Replication tools. It is rated 4.1 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to NetApp Snapshot: NetApp SnapMirror vs NetApp Snapshot

What is NetApp SnapMirror?
NetApp SnapMirror technology provides fast, efficient data replication and disaster recovery (DR) for your critical data. Use a single solution across all NetApp storage arrays and protocols. SnapMirror technology works with any application, in both virtual and traditional environments, and in multiple configurations, including hybrid cloud.

NetApp SnapMirror is also known as SnapMirror.

NetApp SnapMirror Buyer's Guide

Download the NetApp SnapMirror Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2020

NetApp SnapMirror Customers
University at Albany, City of Houston, Yahoo Japan, Washington Employment Security Department, DG Khan Cement Co. Ltd., AmTrust Financial Services, Sheridan College
NetApp SnapMirror Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about NetApp SnapMirror pricing:
  • "It's part of the NetApp Firewall, so it's free."

NetApp SnapMirror Reviews

PhPr
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 23, 2019
Enables us to make a copy of the data on the main storage and move it to backup storage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as a system integrator, we don't use it for ourselves because we don't have such a big infrastructure. We don't have, for example, the disaster recovery requirements but our customers generally use the replication for disaster recovery. Another way to use SnapMirror is to replicate, to use it to copy the backups. For example, you make a copy of the data on your main storage and you just move it to backup storage, which is not really disaster recovery, you can say that it's a technical backup solution. Some customers will use it as an asynchronous… more »

• "With SnapMirror, the solution is the feature itself that is most valuable. It just replicates the data. It's very difficult to speak about, in the sense that it's similar to the features of a wheel. It is round and it's a part of an automobile."
  • "It's necessary to install NetApp simulator to avoid complications."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product 10 out of 10.
AbdulSalam
Sr. Manager - System Analyst (Datacenter Infrastructure) at Bank Sohar
Sep 11, 2019
A good solution with an easy setup, but needs to improve bandwidth efficiency for baseline replication

What is our primary use case?

NAS Filer with quick recovery features within same site or across DR site. Being a unified storage, it is used as a Block (SAN) storage as well with pretty decent performance.

• "The most valuable feature is the snap shot."
  • "It is not as efficient as it needs to be. It doesn't compress the data really well when it is forwarded to a secondary site. The download performance could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model. I would say that if people are using this product they should make use of the snap shortcut. It would be very useful to them. If they can afford it, they should get the second box to put at a different site and replicate it for maximum protection of their data. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about NetApp SnapMirror. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2020.
448,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Alberto Alberti
Senior System Engineer at ICTeam
Reseller
Sep 12, 2019
An excellent backup solution that's flexible, reliable and quite stable

• "There are a lot of features that are excellent. The data compression during the transfer, for example, is good. The replication is great. The durability of the solution and the speed of the data moving from one site to another is impressive."
  • "At the moment, we are not using the synchronous mirror, but we can implement the synchronous mirror. The only thing is that it needs another license. This is the same issue we have with business continuity. It needs another license to be implemented. You need too many separate licenses for the features. They should add some of the aspects of the premium bundle into the basic bundle. Sometimes our customers choose other replication services because of the initial cost of the licenses."

What other advice do I have?

We are running multiple versions of the solution, including 9.3, 9.5 and 9.6 versions, and, sometimes, we are migrating from 8.2 version of 7-Mode to 9.3 or 9.5 version of NetApp Cluster Telnet. We're a NetApp partner. We use a private cloud deployment model ourselves and we are also a service provider for our customers. It's quite stable, it's not that easy to implement, but it's stable, and it's reliable, and all the data that's on the destination are read-only so there is also extra security. I would advise it would be a good idea to implement it with VMware. It would make good base for…
Tom Evert Olsen
Senior Infrastructure Architect at Proact It Norge As
Sep 16, 2019
Stable, easy to install, and easy to implement

What is our primary use case?

The main reason we use NetApp SnapMirror is to try to have a disaster recovery site. We want to have the possibility to do disaster recovery to failover to another site when there is a problem, but also to failover to another site during maintenance, for instance. So if the customers are going to do some maintenance, they can failover to the other site and keep on running.

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "There is probably some limitations when it comes to the scalability of the solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to do a test run first, to see is the solution does what you want it to do. On a scale from one to ten, I will rate the solution an eight, because it doesn't solve all our issues. But it is easy to implement, easy to set up, and it works.
reviewer598200
Senior Application Engineer Presales Support at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Oct 2, 2019
Easy to use and provides data protection for our customers

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and this is one of the products that we resell to our clients. I am a presales engineer and have experience with this solution. I teach my customers how to use it. This solution provides safety and data protection for my customers. The deployment model depends on the customer. However, in Poland, the private cloud model is the most popular. Many are moving to a hybrid-cloud, but the public cloud is still not very popular.

• "This solution is easy to implement and easy to use."
  • "We have different families of storage, such as the E-Series and Flash systems, but NetApp cannot be set up between them."

What other advice do I have?

No solution is ideal. Every solution should continue to develop because customer requirements change over time. This is a solution that I recommend because it is easy to use. Our customers choose the functionality that is useful for them. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
TamirFahima
IT Infrastructure Manager at Afcon Holdings
Oct 21, 2019
Simple to use, an effective dashboard, and good reporting

What is our primary use case?

This solution is a storage replication software, embedded in storage filing that takes a snapshot copy and transfers it to a different location and a different Net Application. The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

• "They have a very effective dashboard and good reports."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see Data reduction included and WAN optimization."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using only on NAS, a file-based storage, not as a storage-based Network. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer691557
Senior Infrastructure Engineer with 201-500 employees
Sep 29, 2019
A stable solution with a straightforward setup and an easy to use interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the infrastructure and for backup replication.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very easy to manage. The replication is also very easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

The new coursework models need to be improved. The bandwidth monitoring could also be better.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. We don't have plans to increase usage at this time, however.

Technical support is excellent. We're very satisfied.

Which solution

Systemagr67
System Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 16, 2019
A stable, scalable tool that's easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for replicating data in the storage system.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the product is very good. It's an easy to use tool.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be simplified. They might want to have fewer options on it, to make it less complicated. There are a lot of options we never use ourselves. They're often very specialized and don't apply to us.

I've been using the solution for 10-12 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. We have about 700 users on it currently.

See 2 more NetApp SnapMirror Reviews
Product Categories
Data Replication
Download our free NetApp SnapMirror Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.