Oracle NoSQL OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle NoSQL is #6 ranked solution in top NoSQL Databases. IT Central Station users give Oracle NoSQL an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle NoSQL is most commonly compared to MongoDB:Oracle NoSQL vs MongoDB. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Oracle NoSQL?

The Oracle NoSQL Database (ONDB) provides network-accessible multiterabyte distributed key/value pair storage with predictable latency. Data is stored in a very flexible key-value format, where the key consists of the combination of a major and minor key (represented as a string) and an associated value (represented as a JSON data format or opaque set of bytes). It offers full Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) operations, with adjustable durability and consistency guarantees. It also provides powerful and flexible transactional model that eases the application development.

The Oracle NoSQL Database is designed to be a highly available and extremely scalable system, with predictable levels of throughput and latency, while requiring minimal administrative interaction.

For more information on Oracle NoSQL Database, visit Oracle.com

Download the NoSQL Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle NoSQL Customers
Airbus, Globacom, WebAction
Oracle NoSQL Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle NoSQL pricing:
  • "The product is expensive and Oracle could work to lower the licensing cost."

Oracle NoSQL Reviews

JA
OSS Automation and Orchestration Consultant at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Proper dimensioning is the key to success with this solid performer

• "The product meets expectations when it comes to stability."
  • "Handling big data in a user-friendly way is currently a bit of an issue. The dashboard for this needs some work."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle NoSQL with MariaDB as a service for a relational database used with some of our telecom solutions.

What is most valuable?

What is most valuable would be more of a question for the people who make the choice as to which tools to choose in completing the architecture I design. That is taken care of by a separate department. The choice of what products we use for a solution is not feature-based all the time. We sometimes act in reverse and get a set of features based on the products selected and we use those even if there may be a solution with features that are really better suited to the architecture. What is valuable, in other words, may change depending on why a tool is deployed.

What needs improvement?

The main areas that need improvement with NoSQL are in the area of big data and user-friendly presentation. It is not easy to manage big data when it comes to the user experience. All the transactions the customer has to organize need to be presented in a proper dashboard in a better way that is more user-friendly for the clients who work with it. NoSQL is a bit challenged in this area currently. The problem is mainly organization and dashboard correlation specifically with large data sets that have a lot of events with a lot of information.

We have our own opportunities to get someone to work to improve this, but it is a budget-related choice at that point. But sometimes there are other restrictions because of how you frame the project from the beginning. For example, there may be a certain budget for professional services or consultation. The organization has to try to keep itself in a good position so that it will not exceed the budget. If Oracle were to enhance this as part of the product, it would be better for designers as well as users overall.

I am wondering how these databases will be integrated into the context of the typical cloud architecture. All efforts now are based on the individual instance and there is no clear plan as to how the deployment phase will be onboarded with the Kubernetes cluster. Now there are a lot of features like self-healing and auto-scaling and other newer capabilities as technology has advanced. We need to see how Oracle will integrate these technologies in NoSQL.

I think we have been using NoSQL for about four years now.

Keep in mind that we are talking about usage at a very big company. So far, we find stability to be very reasonable. It is dependable and we do not have any big issues. It depends on the applications and the environment, but then you can also argue that it is not the product itself that causes instability. It does sometimes have tiny issues with stability.

Scaling is a big issue because mainly it is related to the application of NoSQL. With a cloud-native solution, the scaling is mainly on the level of Kubernetes clusters. Because of that, there is not a big issue in scaling. Earlier there was more of a scalability issue because architectures were very static. Now, with clustering, the cloud-native applications become much more scalable than before.

The number of users we have on NoSQL depends on the application. Some applications maybe exceed 100 users and with some other applications there may be less than 100 users. It always depends on the application and the purpose or use case.

I am not the one dealing with the technical support at Oracle. I only deal with support internally within our company. The internal support team then deals with the support at Oracle if they need to.

Internally we have between three and five people supporting these solutions for the time being.

In the area of the database and infrastructure, I am just responsible for the architecture of the telecom area. After I do the architecture, I hand over the plans to another team that chooses a suitable platform. I do not know if there are other alternatives that they look into when they are choosing a particular solution like Oracle or why they are choosing a certain database.

To be very practical, sometimes the choice is not only related to the features of a product. It might be related to a commercial offer, or it might be related to certain agreements with a certain corporation or vendor. A lot of parameters can be involved in the selection. It is not only related to the technical part. Sometimes we do a certain agreement or engagement with a certain vendor where we have to use their product at a particular capacity. So it is not straightforward all the time as to what gets selected.

The main thing about the initial setup is related to getting the proper dimensioning. Sometimes you can make an overestimate and sometimes you make an underestimate. From my perspective, making the proper dimensioning is the only challenging point when you start any project and the setup for that project. Calculating the resources needed with respect to the required performance is the main challenge.

The pricing has a little bit of room for improvement. Oracle might try to get the cost down to make it a little bit more comfortable for a broader user base.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I can give to anyone looking at NoSQL is just to focusing on the dimensioning before starting any project. I have had some experiences in over-dimensioning and under-dimensioning in some projects. Investing in the dimensioning with respect to performance is the key to success.

On a scale of one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I think Oracle NoSQL would be an eight. This is mostly because I think this Oracle is not a cheap product. I think that the licensing is expensive and this is means sometimes people will just try to avoid using Oracle based on cost alone. In other words, it is usually the financial rather than the mechanical restrictions that make a customer choose a different solution.

Product Categories
NoSQL Databases
Download our free NoSQL Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, MongoDB, Apache, and more!