Oracle OBIEE Overview

Oracle OBIEE is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Reporting Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Oracle OBIEE vs Microsoft BI

What is Oracle OBIEE?

OBIEE is a multifaceted network of tools that can create a more fluid and better-integrated data flow for your business. This service is actually a platform that is made up of six individual elements, rather than a single tool with multiple features. These services include: presentation catalog, BI presentation service, BI scheduler service, BI server service,administration client, and metadata repository.

The purpose of the OBIEE is to have an entire system for all of your enterprising needs. The various tools within the suite can take your data, organize it, analyze it and then glean the pertinent information from it, sending it on to the relevant parties who can then use it for metrics, pattern analysis, and future projections. The essence of the platform is to integrate your current IT together with their tools in order to give you the overall best return on investment with minimal fiscal obligations.

Oracle OBIEE is also known as OBIEE, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Oracle BI, Oracle BI EE 11g.

Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle OBIEE Customers

Banca Transilvania, BeckmanCoulter, Hong Kong Housing Society, HealthShare, Ivanhoe Cambridge Unifies, and Home Credit, and Finance Bank.

Oracle OBIEE Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SA
Specialist - Technology at Synechron
The RPD is very useful in changing and creating models as per requirements, but visualization needs a boost

What is our primary use case?

Primarily for traditional data warehouse reporting Also giving end users the flexibility of ad-hoc reporting.

How has it helped my organization?

The tabular and pivot reports with generic graphs and charts are helpful in representing summarized reports on dashboards.

What is most valuable?

Union reports, pivot views, column selectors, action frameworks and write back reports. The RPD is also very useful in changing and creating models as per requirements.

What needs improvement?

Visualization of OBIEE needs a boost.  The data mashup functionality and ease of use for end users also need to be improved a lot.
Head of IT at Obegi Chemicals Group
Expensive and it doesn't give us the flexibility to do what the business needs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to pull reports on different departments within the organization. It's very time consuming to find these reports within the IT team. Their team has also been limited to the number of people inside there, so the reports take a little bit longer. When the reports do come out, there are very little changes that can happen to these reports. You have to keep requesting changes to these reports. It is expensive and it doesn't give us the flexibility to do what the business needs. Sometimes we've got users that need to create their own reports and OBIEE needs… more »

• "We do you use Oracle support. We've been paying for an Oracle support subscription for four or five years, and not one ticket has ever been logged. When I came in, I've encouraged the team to ask Oracle questions. They do get back quite quickly. Their support is good. Working with our account managers, if I need to escalate anything, I can speak to them and they escalate the call. I've got that ecosystem working quite well. That does work for us."
  • "They should develop greater visualization because their visualization isn't industry leading at the moment. The way you pull the data and see the data compared to other platforms, they're lagging a little bit behind. Also, their cost. I've got Oracle account managers trying to persuade me every day to purchase these licenses. Once you purchase OBIEE, then you have to purchase the virtualization and then you have to purchase the mobile license to operate on the mobile. It's really expensive."

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product if the business requires it, but for our business and the environment that we're in, I'd give it a three out of ten because it just doesn't meet the criteria that we need. I'm very pro-cloud, a cloud platform would be really nice. I know Oracle does have a cloud analytics solution, and we've looked into them on how to move that over, but it's really expensive for the investment that they've already made into OBIEE. These days, IT leaders like myself, the new trend is a consumption model instead of an on-premise model. Using the cloud in consuming what you need, switching…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal Analyst System at AFDB
The most valuable feature is the openness of the solution. It helps us integrate some of our clients. Functionality is in need of improvement.

What is our primary use case?

I use this primarily for our passports.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The functionality is in need of improvement. We find the graphs need to be upgraded.

The stability is good. But, we are a small team. We have not yet tested it in a larger setting.

In terms of tech support, we have our own technicians. But, we did register for their help. When we register a call, it takes time for them to respond to us.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Policy and Planning Analyst with 10,001+ employees
Having the conformed structures makes it easier for end users to pull reports. There is a lot of room for improvement to incorporate more advanced statistical modeling into the product.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is RPD.

• "I think having the conformed structures makes it a lot easier for end users and pulling reports together."
  • "This solution is weak in the data science perspective. I have past data science experience. And, I find that there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of incorporating more advanced statistical modeling into the product."
ER
Head of Analytics & Recommendation System, Video Products at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is not a good product for data visualization.

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for making tables and working with data.

What needs improvement?

It is not a good product for data visualization. And, its functionality is lacking.

The scalability of the product is good.

We have an in-house tech support, so we do not use the tech support from the solution.

The other options we considered are: Tableau, Qlik Sense, and Splunk.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor are: Visibility Data Visualization Price
Data engineer at realestate.pingan.com
It crashes when many people login simultaneously. It's easy to use for business analysts.

What is our primary use case?

OBIEE is used to generate data reports and send to users' emails. The company leaders use its summary report to overview the KPIs of the company. Department operators use its detailed report to monitor daily sales.

How has it helped my organization?

A detailed data report is generated for business operators. Summary and aggregated data for leaders.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use for business analysts. Can utilize SQL queries to generate reports directly. Access and permission management.

What needs improvement?

Metadata management function: Sometimes, our business requirements need to load reference data into the data model.

What do I think about the stability of the

Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
With its ability to integrate with database sources, our customers can build dashboards and use visual components.

What is our primary use case?

My first challenge with OBIEE was to create a set of Dashboards to monitor sales performance in real time.

What other advice do I have?

My customers want a solution that connects any data source, and does all the jobs for them. It doesn´t exist. People have to know their data, and know what they want to do with it. My customer had the illusion that OBIEE would do everything for them, and they became frustrated, so we had to learn to work together in the right way. It’s very important to guide the user in the right direction to take all the advantages of OBIEE.
CV
Siebel CRM OBIEE at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
It can be used with any type of data models, such as relational lines and dimensional lines

What is our primary use case?

We use the product to bring reports to the dealers. It is performing well. We recently upgraded to version 12c.

What is most valuable?

It mostly supports enterprise level data. We have millions of records on a daily basis.

What needs improvement?

I would like more graphical charts. While it is a user-friendly, data-driven tool, the data modeling should be easier to use.

More than five years.

The stability is good.

It is good. I can use it with any type of data models, such as relational lines and dimensional lines.

The technical support is…
Data Integration and Business Intelligence Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case, we use it for slicing and dicing service reporting. Our business is using Oracle BI to deliver business, marketing, and financial reports. Technology mainly does the modeling, and the business is creating the reports. We don't have any problems with the enterprise reporting. It performs very well, because we are using Oracle Exadata. Oracle BI accesses Oracle Exadata, and it performs very well since Oracle Exadata has great performance.

• "The performance can issue queries to work in the Oracle database in Oracle's native language. There are a lot of visualizations which suit our business."
  • "It is easy to create a report quickly. It does not take much time to create an ad hoc report."
  • "We have scheduled reports delivered automatically to our business users using enterprise features."
  • "It's not so flexible to do BI reporting directly from the data source without models. It is not that agile."
  • "We were not satisfied with the support, because we could not obtain answers or solutions."

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good tool for plain Enterprise BI reporting and usual BI reporting. It's not a tool for data discovery. If you want to do old-fashioned plain BI reporting and have a large company where you want your business users to have the possibility to have reports delivered to them automatically, then Oracle BI is a good tool. If you want to be more agile and do more data discovery on unstructured data which is not well-known, then Oracle BI would not be the best choice.
VG
Vice President (BI Delivery) at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Lack of in-memory data and calculations negatively affect performance

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for our various financial products. One is a trading platform called MarkitSERV. All the world-leading financial institutes are on-boarded to that client. They use the platform for trading. On the backend, we have the data warehouse of that trading platform, which helps produce quick analyses of the trading data and prepare reports on demand. For that purpose, we are using the OBIEE. We have defined a lot of trends in OBIEE so you can compare year-on-year and month-on-month data. We have various ways you can measure your numbers. Performance is just okay. It doesn't… more »

• "The most valuable feature of Oracle OBIEE, for me, would be the Web Catalog. From a development perspective, I do not need any client or any software to be installed on my laptop or desktop. Everything is browser-based, so I just open the browser and start development."
  • "One feature I would definitely like to see is the ability to provide the in-memory data. Oracle might have some plugins but, as of now, that feature isn't available out-of-the-box. You might have to purchase that feature."
  • "Setup and migration are very complex. Technically, Oracle accessory is extremely complex. These days, the industry demands a kind of Excel analysis, which is very easy to install, set up, and it's very developer-friendly as well as end-user friendly. OBIEE lacks all those features."

What other advice do I have?

All the drawbacks which I mentioned above, I would like to have all of those resolved in OBIEE. First of all, its installation, configuration, and setup should be very easy. It comes with its own application server and that creates a lot of conflict files on the server side. You have to be very careful while configuring all those files. Technical support is another issue, where we generally do not get adequate support. And on Google, there is a lack of good material for OBIEE 12c. If you compare it with other tools like Tableau and QlikView, they have excellent community sites where you post…
DS
Strategic Management Office Manager at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Near real-time performance helps us quickly escalate problems to senior management

What is our primary use case?

We use it for KPIs. It's quite good, but the content of Oracle OBIEE cannot accommodate all of our needs. Oracle OBIEE only displays KPIs, but it does not include strategic objectives or display risk in a strategic map.

• "We can see almost-real-time performance in our operations. When there is a problem, it is easy to escalate it to top management and the time for management to make a decision about it is much shorter than it would be using a manual process."
  • "From the point of view of strategic management, I would like to have a feature, perhaps a form after we get to the KPI dashboard, to be used to note if something unusual happens in the operations. That way we could record extreme KPI situations, and track why a number is very low or too high."
  • "Oracle OBIEE only displays KPIs, but it does not include strategic objectives or display risk in a strategic map."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but it depends on the needs of the company, of course. Important criteria when selecting a vendor include local support and the most important is the capability of the solution to meet my requirements. It should also be compatible with our current system. I would rate it an eight out of 10 because Oracle OBIEE is capable of providing me with fairly comprehensive real-time data. However, again, it doesn't provide me with the strategic view or map or objectives, or how an individual KPI affects the strategic objectives.
EPM Manager at a consumer goods company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides unified reporting, all business units are now looking at the same picture

What is our primary use case?

We use it for analyzing our sales, our processes. So far, it is good.

• "I think the most valuable features are the ability to drill down, the graphs, and the scheduling for the reports to be received in Excel on a daily basis. Users like Excel, so it's good for them that they receive the reports by email, that they don't have to specify the schedule."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at eight out of 10. It has very good features but it is missing going quickly into the cloud, and virtualization - unlike other vendors.
    RM at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Changes to the repository affect the whole application, but the layout is not great

What is our primary use case?

We have an enterprise type of environment, where we have 80 applications. We are using OBIEE for our data reporting.

• "Its overall organization as an analytical tool, the layout of OBIEE, is not very good."
      • "OBIEE doesn't have audit logs."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool, but its overall organization as an analytical tool, the layout of OBIEE, is not very good. I would rate it a seven out of 10, overall. OBIEE doesn't have audit logs. Also because, in our own organization each department gets its user own ID, in OBIEE if we provide rights to them, they are the administrators of OBIEE. That means there is no distinguishing between user management and administration.
      Vp at Ifusion solution inc
      Connectors to different ERPs and a single dashboard with everything on it are pivotal

• "It's the connectors, the adapters. Built in connectors with different ERPs, you can plug in XL, other sources of data. It's very easy to configure. It's very easy to use."
      • "We needed some technical expertise during setup."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criterion when looking at vendors is their experience with bigger clients. That helps a lot. Lessons learned, they put it out there. They tell in their white papers. There's a lot of information out there to help you before you even decide to use a tool. That's great. It satisfies 99% of the business measures related to analytics, reporting, and dashboard views; it satisfies all of those. I would say first, analyze your business requirements and see if this is the right tool for you. There might be cheaper options, looking at your business requirements. Oracle is a big…
      CEO at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Facilitates access to data and reports with better insights into ops; speeds decision making

• "For me, it makes the difference is in terms of our users being able to take advantage of a product which allows you to get access to data, reports, make decisions quickly, and have better insights regarding operations."
      • "n the beginning it had it's stability issues, but it became stable."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you get your end-users ready, because a lot of information is transparent with this tool, which gives them better insight regarding how their operations are running. They might find something that was not visible to them. It may mean negativity around improvement but take that as an opportunity. That's what my suggestion is. It's a powerful tool. We are happy with it. I think that Oracle tried to compete, but they realized that there was a better product. Buying them (the better product) was a better choice (for Oracle), because it really provided a lot of users access…
      Data Architect & BI Manager at RTBF
      We can better and rapidly answer the user’s reporting needs, even if it involves different sources of information

What is most valuable?

The “Business Model & Mapping” layer in the Administration Tool, because the maintenance and evolution processes are greatly facilitated.

How has it helped my organization?

Now, we can better and rapidly answer the user’s reporting needs, even if it involves different sources of information (different applications, different databases, external sources, etc.).

What needs improvement?

Our actual needs are covered.

10 years.

Since 11g, no issues.

No, but no real experience.

Five out of 10. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

BI Team Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      I can scale out horizontally and vertically

What is most valuable?

It has a lot workaround in order to do the report. data blending, and getting information from big data sources.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to control inventory and warehouse management (by using the features listed in the previous answer).

What needs improvement?

Supply chain and finance.

10 years.

Yes, in the previous release of the administration tool, there were a lot of issues, and compatibility issues that didn't work with OBIEE.

No, I can scale out horizontally and vertically.

Seven out of 10. There is not much technical…
      Consultant at a tech services company
      ​It has helped to consolidate data

What is most valuable?

The front-end.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to consolidate data and report on a single version of the truth.

What needs improvement?

The development effort takes longer than other BI tools currently on the market.

Three years.

Good.

What other advice do I have?

Great product despite the amount of development effort required.
      Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Has a strong calculation engine, however a lot of functionality has yet to be ported on the Cloud

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Strong calculation engine User-friendly look and feel

How has it helped my organization?

I am from a consulting background which normally works on projects. Many customers using this product have streamlined their planning process with analysts spending more time on analysis than data massaging.

What needs improvement?

Particularly on the Cloud, a lot of functionality has yet to be ported.

More than 10 years.

On-premise, when data grows exponentially, stability issues have been experienced.

Not applicable.

An eight out of 10.

How was

Business Analysis Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We've been able to create reports for monitoring our business trends and retail KPIs, although we've come across deployment issues when moving from one version to another.

• "Easy to create ad hoc reporting for different solutions."
      • "Retail, Finance, Wholesale"

What other advice do I have?

From my experience as Retail Planner and Business Analyst in fast paced companies, I would suggest this solution to anyone who wants to improve data analysis in terms of data read, performance, analytical culture throughout the company. I think it's a great tool for the retail, finance, and commercial industries. ABC Sell Out Analysis
      Oracle Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      With the analytics and inter-process communication functions, we can generate KPI and other analytical reports for the operations team.

• "Inter Process Communication."
      • "BI Server"

What other advice do I have?

Be well prepared with the product details from installation to implementation. Be sure you have a support account.
      Oracle Hyperion Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      We've been able to integrate different sources into one dashboard and it's given us better RMDB and browser support.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to create fully-functional Dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to integrate different sources into one dashboard.

What needs improvement?

Essbase integration needs to be worked on.

I've used it for around five years.

No issues with the current version.

When using Essbase, queries accumulated in the BI server and degraded its performance.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's satisfactory. Technical Support: It's satisfactory.

Which solution

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Allows for the design of the warehouse. I would like to see better visualizations.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your data and what information you want to gather from it before embarking on the BI journey. Ensure that you have a strong team to implement it. The best tools are useless when they are poorly implemented.
      Senior BI/DWH Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      It has a three-layer repository. I can organize multiple data sources into a common business model.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend using OBIEE because of its wide functionality (multiple data sources, interactive dashboards and analysis, spatial integration, delivers and alerts, mobiles, etc.). In my opinion, it is one of the best BI platforms. It provides a full range of capabilities (from development to user experience). I have worked on a lot of interesting and special projects, and I haven't been assigned any task that I could not do with it.
      Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
      The reporting is a good feature. Sometimes there is an issue of font size during the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for Purely Performance Management of a whole Enterprise, then you should choose OBIEEE, otherwise choose MicroStrategy.
      Global Supply Chain Manager at Cisco
      We use it for reporting, business data analysis and metrics purposes.

What other advice do I have?

You should shop around but for me this is the best solution. As per the cost factor as well, it is a cost-effective product. The attributes should be more user-friendly, other than that the other features of this product such as performance, reporting structure and architecture are good.
      Lead Business Intelligence Analyst at Jade Global
      MSP
      I like its capability of utilizing big data volume. In addition to reporting, it provides analytics based on sales, booking, or leads.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution. It is a robust product and it was suitable for the needs of the industry that I work in. My advice to others depends on the data volume and what kind of data you want to represent. If the volume is very high and you want an enterprise solution where there are a number of concurrent users, I would suggest this solution. If you have a different data set and the number of concurrent users is less, then I would suggest a different solution, such as SAP BusinessObjects. When looking for a vendor, support is the most important thing. The second thing is reliability with a…
      Manager Of Capital Improvement Program at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The portfolio managers and schedulers pull data in and report out.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to document what your current environment is and plan your installation and configuration ahead of time. It will then go smoother and faster. Plan your existing environment in detail and document it. This is critical. When I look for a product, I focus on security, reliability, and ease of use.
      Global Business Intelligence - Technical Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
      Three categorization layers gives us flexibility. The biggest need for us is non-structured data.
      Systems Engineer at DMS
      Users can do their own reporting, slicing and dicing, and getting the visual outputs.

What other advice do I have?

I have used both the on-premises and the cloud module. The cloud module is still in a premature state, so it has to get mature.
      Director Of Business Intelligence at Enlivant
      You can do both analytical and real-time reporting. It has mobile, geo-spatial, and data visualization.

What other advice do I have?

If your requirements are for an enterprise reporting platform, Oracle would be able to satisfy your needs. From an analytical standpoint as well, this product will address your real-time data operational report needs. If you are only looking for data discovery, or just looking at flat files and the patterns of the data, then Tableau or QlikView will do the job. Whenever I select a vendor, I look at multiple things: * Scalability * The integration of the products with other important applications within an organization * Data integration * A database application with Excel-based files
      Vice President, Business Intelligence and Analytics at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It provides centralized data governance. The visualizations and usability can be improved a lot.

What other advice do I have?

It's self-explanatory and not much guidance is needed. However, you should not skimp on the hardware. It's a hardware-intensive product, so you must make sure you have good hardware.
      Cloud Architect at IEEE
      Advanced users can build their own custom reports. They should focus on performance.

What other advice do I have?

Look at big data and other open-stack solutions. See if that actually fits; otherwise, you might want this kind of solution, ready to install. Don't customize. If you have a lot of customizations, see if this product will work; do a PoC. I strongly recommend to check big data, and go from there. When I’m choosing a vendor to work with, the most important criteria are scalability and how well it works with other products. Another thing is that we shouldn't be locked in to a vendor. We should be able to move vendors in and out if we really want. I don't like vendor lock-in. That's another thing…
      IT Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
      Answers, the ability to create ad hoc reports for the business, is valuable. A self-service approach to gathering and integrating the data would be nice.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good tool. It will satisfy a lot of the needs, but I think there's room for improvement.
      HRIS Development Manager at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We have several dashboards for the VPs and HR business users, so they are able to see all the integration and higher data. It is difficult to get the data into data warehousing.

What other advice do I have?

It's a long implementation process; it took us a while to implement it. However, once you do implement this product and get the hang of it, it's easy. It has its issues just like a lot of other software products have issues.
      Senior Software Specialist at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We use the previewing script to convert from Oracle Financials to OBIEE.
      Oracle Service Area Manager, India Delivery Centre at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      MSP
      The interface gives us all the financial reporting, all the operational reporting, as well as the delivery reporting.

What other advice do I have?

Obviously, I would prefer a product which was integrated with the whole Oracle ecosystem. If you are already using an Oracle ecosystem without some database, an ERP solution ,or integrations and so forth, OBIEE is a natural choice in that case. Obviously, there some advantages with the ecosystem, and it works perfectly fine for us.
      Oracle Apps Consultant at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We use the dashboard, analytics, and fast report generation. New reports are hard to use.

What other advice do I have?

Use OBIEE if you have large data to process for heavy duty applications. If you are using it for a small to mid-sized company, OBIEE doesn't make much sense. It is for large enterprises.
      IT Project Manager at Sony DADC
      It provides the ability to drill down and show business value from a single source of truth.

What other advice do I have?

I've actually had to look at different divisions within my organization and try to sell this product. In some cases, I've actually had to go over and help set it up. It's important to look at form and function. Look at the features that they have today; they're looking for the same thing. The proof is in the pudding, by showing them the reports, showing them the functionalities, setting up new dashboards, setting up ad-hoc reports through Answers, and then scheduling those. I've had to do that, and they don't believe that it's that easy. I have given this product a perfect rating because…
      Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      We use the scheduling function to generate specific reports at specific times and send them to specific mailboxes. The interface is clumsy and text based.

What other advice do I have?

When I’m selecting a vendor such as Oracle or IBM to work with I look at functionality, first of all, and then I look at cost. That's also a big one.
      Lead Engineer at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
      A few thousand users run ad-hoc reports. Stability-wise, they still have a lot to improve.

What other advice do I have?

If someone asked me for advice, I would throw out a few options and let them pick which one is better. I’d provide whatever I know about this product and also other products, not just those from Oracle. I don't know if Oracle wants to hear this, but there are other products in the analytical field that are pretty good. For example, Tableau. For example, dashboard-wise, other products are way better than OBIEE. Oracle still has to improve some of these issues, especially when there is a huge amount of data. When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, the most important criteria are that they are…
      SSS3 at Caltrans
      Connections with data sources other than Oracle are stable.

What other advice do I have?

Really work with the vendor.
      Senior IT Manager, HR Legal Payroll and GRC at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The ETL component extracts data from different source systems. It should be easier for users to access other data.

What other advice do I have?

I think that you really need to understand your data analytics strategy to understand which functions and features that you're looking for. The business itself needs to be ready to take this on because it's definitely not an IT solution. The premise around a lot of the analytics solutions is really to empower the business now to take the ball and run with it, create their own reports, create their own dashboards. You need to make sure that the business is able to go ahead and have the skill sets to start taking up that responsibility, or at least to come up with a roadmap of how they're going…
      Sr. Analyst - Business Applications at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We can import data from Excel files, CSV files, along with our ERP systems.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a good tool. I recommend it. Moreover, if someone was thinking about implementing this solution and they came to me, I would have a quick chat telling them the pros and cons we faced during the implementation. I would give them ideas about how useful it was for our business.
      Director, Application Development & Business Intelligence at BE Aerospace
      We use it as an enterprise BI tool. Main benefit: all of the reports are in one place.

What other advice do I have?

You can go with OBI if you are an Oracle shop. It's better than SQL Server products. There are other products that are better than OBI, also, but it's one of the top five products.
      Sr Software Engineer BI at IGT
      The reporting is valuable, and you can visualize data in a user-friendly way. There are bugs in the web services.

What other advice do I have?

Determine the use cases. First write down the use cases and then look for the product that satisfies all these use cases. That would be my advice.
      Senior Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
      Data mash-up provides the ability to look at different data, join them on the fly and look at the key indicators.

What other advice do I have?

Based on what I have seen, based on different implementations, it's one of the tools that is pretty reliable in the market, that is pretty stable. As long as it meets your requirements, you should be fine. I don't see any issues with it. When I’m deciding to work with a vendor like Oracle, I think about how much they are willing to collaborate and make their product succeed. It's more about partnership; it's more about reliability, but it's also about dependency. You often get stuck with products you're implementing and the solution might not be available onboard, so you have to go and reach…
      Business Intelligence Consultant at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We use the OBIEE Repository to join multiple physical sources and combine their data into a single business model.

What other advice do I have?

Seriously consider a cloud implementation. Cut back on implementation and maintenance / upgrade costs and very little time-to-market.
      Oracle BIEE Consultant at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      With caching, we can simply schedule a report to run before users get to work. A lot of users want customized user interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

Google is your best friend! Some documentations do not contain everything, so it is good to be patient when looking for solutions, even outside Oracle Support.
      Senior Professional Services Consultant Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Our client required the ability to produce the same reports that they currently produce in Excel but distributed via a dashboard/mobile front-end.

What other advice do I have?

For a company just starting out in the world of BI reporting, this product, along with most other BI reporting products, is an expensive tool to buy, if you just want to play around and see what BI can do. It contains so many features, you can easily get caught up trying them all out and never actually deliver anything meaningful. To get the most out of the product, you need to know what it is you are trying to achieve – what reports you want to produce, where the data comes from, how you want to provide those reports to the users. You can then quickly start to deliver benefit from the product…
      Consultant at Infosys Ltd.
      The capability to implement business and data manipulation logic in the RPD provides a powerful interface for developers to work on. It should be easier to build reports.
      BI Team Leader & Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      The ability for users to generate analytics without developer involvement is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a very good application, but it’s not straightforward in the traditional BI. Take Oracle’s advice in best practices and how to implement it. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.
      Senior Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The way we are able to send data out to users and the ability for them to do acquiring themselves are valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure the product meets your needs and that your enterprise is able to use it for a long period of time. You should also look at the evaluation and the support. I would rate OBIEE an 8 or a 9 out of 10, since most other products are not as user friendly. From a user perspective it’s good, but from a maintenance perspective it needs a little work.
      Programmer at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
      The smart view reports have been valuable to our business.

What other advice do I have?

Go with OBIEE with smart view. If you are in planning and budgeting, also get EPM. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
      Director Of New Media with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We use it for reporting and find the analysis to be valuable.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a nice stable tool. All the dashboards, iPad support and other features have been great for us, and we totally rely on it. I would rate it an eight out of ten.
      Solutions Architect Hyperion at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Purchased for its dashboard reporting and for getting mining data out.

Valuable Features

We got OBIEE for its dashboard reporting and for getting mining data out. OBIEE was a good fit with the Hyperion products we already had. We love it.

Room for Improvement

Dashboard reporting could be more dynamic and easier to drill down into.

Use of Solution

We have used it for about three years.

It has been pretty stable.

It has been scalable.

We use partners for Oracle, so when we ask for support, we are forwarded to the partner that works with the solution in question. They are really good. If there is an issue where I can just drill down or look into the online forums, I do that as well.

Other Advice

OBIEE is amazing in its integration with Hyperion and dashboard…
      Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      I like the self service analytics feature. Users don't need to ask for new views from IT.
      Manager, Database and Security at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      People like to see the bar charts versus the numbers and they like to see a trend. It's easy for them to read and to use.

What other advice do I have?

Look at where you're going for your reporting. Are you getting your reports today? Are they going to grow? Are you going to add into it? What are you looking to achieve with reporting? Those are questions that I would ask, so think about them before choosing a solution.
      Manager of Oracle Technology/DevOpsManager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The most valuable features of OBIEE for me are the graphs and reporting that it provides. I would like to see end users have the option to customize more themselves.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend it as there are many other product out there, as long as your database is covered with RDBMS or other warehousing database. If you're freshly implementing, there is no reason in going with a 90's-style solution in 2016.
      Sr Director Enterprise Business Systems at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Interacting with other non-Oracle applications and sources is a little difficult right now.

What other advice do I have?

We are using it just because we have other tools we've retired. I'm not really excited about it nor am I ready to kick it to the curb.
      Business Analyst at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It is a stable product. We are in the process of upgrading to 12c.

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you want to make your financial reporting simpler and easier, and you can put it towards the end user, and the way you can control the things, and show the graphical use, or ease of use, and functionality, it's very simple for the financial user or end users. I think it's very good product. Maybe not all products are up to the speed or like any product you take, there is space to improve. I think for our company, the way we use it, we are very happy with it and the end customer is very happy with it.
      Sr. Technology Engineer at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The most valuable feature is the data, both in the way it's presented visually with graphs and just the accessibility to that data.

What other advice do I have?

It's a valuable tool and it really benefits our work. The main thing is to let your users know how valuable it is so it's worth their effort to learn how to use the tool.
      Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It takes a lot of work upfront on our side, but once that's done, it's a matter of clicking here, there, and we've pretty much got a solution for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the skill level of the people who are actually going to be the BI administrators and developers, I would suggest a consultant, someone who is well-versed and knows the in's and out's, to help implement OBIEE. As I said, we had an Oracle consultant. When he came in, one of the first things we did was sent him to some training for OBIEE. I'm not sure how that came about, but it seemed a little strange to me. The way I look at it, when you hire a consultant to come in and help you, I'm expecting that person to have the background and the knowledge. The guy did a great job, but there…
      Director of Statistics and Analysis at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Although Oracle's OBIEE has earned a place in the BI stack, more nimble competitors now offer greater flebility to support analysis and visualizations

What other advice do I have?

OBIEE is as powerful as the Oracle backbone upon which it runs, but it will not serve the business as effectively as it could if there is not a commitment to align engineering resources with the needs of the business. With the right skill sets and a defined corporate data governance strategy, OBIEE can be a powerful BI engine for almost any company. Over the past few years, OBIEE has become less important for us in the analytics group. In order to lead a proactive data discovery group, OBIEE just doesn’t provide enough flexibility. We are constantly blending various data sources together…
      Data Analyst at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The biggest organizational benefit is having data or information at your fingertips for all the different subject areas that we cover. I feel like sometimes it can be slow.

What other advice do I have?

Get help from somebody who knows what they're doing.
      Programmer/Analyst at Lidestri Foods
      It's essentially a queue-based data mining tool that allows all aspects of the business, to do a little more data analysis on our operational data.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure they understand the true use of it. Originally, we were shown the dashboard, all the great features that come with OBIEE and OBIA. But we weren't truly told what it takes to maintain it, what it takes to get valuable data for our company out of it. It's a lot more work than Oracle led us to believe at first.
      OBIEE Technical Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Implementation has changed the way we create and consume information.

What other advice do I have?

Bring in an expert -- someone with real experience and who's independent.
      Analytics Developer at Tsavotech Inc
      It's provided versatility to both the user and developer sides. It can present data in various way to the end user.
      BI Architect at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
      It's now much easier for our developers to mash up their repositories from different data sources, create new dashboards, create graphs, and send emails via agents.

What other advice do I have?

Before using it, make sure you really understand the product. It also helps to know Java. You also need to know how WebLogic works, as well as how the integration between EM and OMB works.
      Oracle OBIEE v12.x, v11.x SME Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
      Once fully used, the Visual Analyzer has great promise. However, you're allowing end users to upload spreadsheets that can mash with your existing data.

What other advice do I have?

OBIEE 11c is pretty slick these days, and it has a new look so that's nice. Everything's pretty darn good now with the following 2 caveats. * Allow more than one RPD. I don't know how or when, but one RPD for an entire production environment is brutal. * What's with BI Publisher? It seems everyone states that it's just for pixel perfect reports but the IMO shows that's just not true. There are a large number of standard reports that can, and should, be created in BIP. Daily Orders report bursts to various departments? That's not pixel perfect and it's one of a huge number that should be BIP…
      BI Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
      We're able to bring organizational data together on a single platform, although it doesn't permit us to override the default query system.

What other advice do I have?

This is a highly scalable and well integrated BI system with possibilities of deep rooted integration into future products by Oracle. If you are going to join the Oracle stack for your financial needs, you might as well start using OBIEE for the Business Intelligence solution. Always remember, a BI developer does not automatically know your business. You need a Business Analyst to drive a BI project not a BI developer.
      Reporting Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It delivers CMS data to the user efficiently while hiding their complexity, though the mapping functionality needs some maturing.

What other advice do I have?

The business users love it! To use successfully it pays to plan out your approach – underlying data, RPD, dashboard navigation and layout standards before hand – planning and following best practice are the key to a successful implementation and getting the most out of the product.
      Senior Business Intelligence Developer at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
      It provided analysis and insights from the dashboard from various data sources.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Analysis Dashboard Agents

What needs improvement?

Enhancements to existing OBI Components - Analysis Connectors Self-service BI Performance

I've used the tool for seven years.

No issues encountered.

It was already in place when I joined the company.

It's straightforward for installation and configuration. The complexity of the development varies depending on the business…
      Business Intelligence Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
      It has the ability to be customized such that APIs can also be built on-top for easy data communication with other tools.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to know exactly what to do before doing anything, to save cycle time. And/or seek expertise in the field who have done it before and know the ins and outs of the product.
      Oracle Applications Technical Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
      MSP
      Its charts, drill-downs, and maps features improve the way we build charts and obtain graphical representations of data.
      Business Intelligence Developer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      It has allowed us to provide our external users the ability to create custom reports while adding a complex object security framework not found when dealing with internal users.
      Team Lead at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We're able to provide ad hoc reports, perform forecasting, and analyze existing reports with old data.

What is most valuable?

BI Publisher Oracle Maps MS Office integration

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped provide ad hoc reports. These improve the business by doing forecasting, as well as analyzing the existing reports with old data.

What needs improvement?

OBIEE maps BI Publisher

I've used it for the last five years.

There were issues encountered.

There were some issues encountered with stability.

There were some issues encountered with scalability.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical…
      Senior Manager - MIS Systems at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
      With it, we have less reliance on the MIS teams to produce reports as our management and operational teams have access to information when they need it.
      OBIEE 11g Specialist at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
      We needed a solution for data modeling, which our previous solution did not do well.
      BI Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We've reduced the time to collect data and generate reports, including clear analysis patterns of monthly performance.

What other advice do I have?

Just keep the model as simple as possible, it'll make works much easier afterward.
      Business intelligence consultant with 51-200 employees
      Our clients can view their operations from a holistic viewpoint, and we're able to track and manage their cases.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good platform provided you have a good strategy and a strong team around.
      OBIEE 11g Certified Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      It's allows for data modeling simply and its visualizations are better than other BI solutions.

Valuable Features

Security (authentication, policy, credentials) Simplicity in data modelling Visualizations are better than other BI solutions

Improvements to My Organization

It allows us to providing our customers an excellent solution for their business requirements. It's easy to use for any type of user.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for two years, 11 months as a business analyst generating reports for our customers.

Some little issue with a network port, but this is solved in a very few minutes.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10 - Excellent support from the Oracle team. Technical Support: 9/10 - They're excellent.

Initial

Oracle BI Consultant at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Users are able to see dashboards and reports, while executive-level management can get a high-level view of the organization's functions.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure the application server and the web server are installed and configured as recommended.
      Business Analyst at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We've replaced a lot of manual processes, e-forms with automated interfaces, and reports.

What is most valuable?

Delta extracts Scheduler Multiple delivery options Word and Excel integration to create report templates

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of manual processes, e-forms and paper forms were replaced by automated interfaces and reports.

What needs improvement?

Customer support and documentation.

I've used it for 15 months.

No, we're using the cloud service.

No issues encountered.

There are slow processing times sometimes, and with it being a cloud solution, the infrastructure is out of our control.

How are customer service and

Sr. Solution Development Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Analysts and developers can design reports and access the dashboard without installing an application. I would like to see more responsive interactive dashboards.

What other advice do I have?

1) The integration with SAP BW is not so easy, but it's possible through XMLA. So if your data warehouse is under SAP BW, you have to be careful in your choice of OBIEE because you will face integration and performance issues. 2) Also, the OBIEE Administration Tool is not for non-IT people. So you will need IT to design your repository properly before the analyst will be able to design reports and dashboard. 3) I found Tableau more user friendly and productive than OBIEE. So, I advise to also look there.
      Consulting Manager with 51-200 employees
      It's a flexible tool that's centralized, secure, and allows for enterprise-wide reporting.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, but its strengths (centralized, secure, enterprise-wide reporting) can also be seen as weaknesses if you are looking for a more flexible, lighter-footprint reporting package with better visuals. That said, newer versions of the tool have gone a long way to catch up on the visuals side (new views, external viz options, etc) and flexibility as well (BI Cloud Service).
      Hyperion Applications Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We can create ad hoc analyses and present data with Dashboards, Alerts, and BI Publisher.

What other advice do I have?

Excellent BI tool that is flexible and user-friendly, and getting better with each new release.
      BI Expert at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
      A very good, stable and reliable product with more report views needed

What is most valuable?

Powerful, interactive and high performance reports and dashboards.

What needs improvement?

More reports views and enhance user interactivity.

Around 6 years, previously 10g but now 11g.

If you use Arabic reports names in the default reports path on windows you will face "Path too long" problem because all names are encrypted in hexadecimal format.

Immediate shutdown for services may crash the system.

Senior Finance Associate at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
      It provides some best in class features on paper, but it has various technical limitations.
      Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
      Exalytics and OBIEE, size does matter

What other advice do I have?

Oracle BI combined with Exadata/Exalytics is a perfect tool for ROLAP/HOLAP type reports especially for extreme data sizes. I don't know any other tool suitable for that.
      BI Expert at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Dashboard capability and enterprise level security are valuable but end users can't change their password on their own.

Valuable Features

Dashboard capability along with tightly integrated enterprise level security are really the most used features for me in OBIEE. It's also capable of delivering Scorecarding, Geo Mapping & multi source capabilities.

Room for Improvement

End users can't change their password on their own.

Use of Solution

5+ years

Oracle support has always been quick.

Initial setup is straightforward through a wizard based interface.

Other Advice

OBIEE is a truly enterprise level product with the capability to scale & tight security. But it requires a specialized technical team during customization which might make it not economical for small scale customers.
      BI Expert at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We got up pretty quickly, and are supporting a relatively self-service model.
      We implemented OBIEE using the OBIA apps for Financials & Procurement. We got up pretty quickly, and are supporting a relatively self-service model with superusers in each team. Some superusers pick up data definitions better than others. Starting users with their monthly/qtrly reporting packages seems to encourage adoption.
      Powerful platform for summarizing data within a DW environment
      Company Background: • Verisign, Inc. operates the domain name registry for .COM, .NET and other Top Level Domain extensions • There are more than 125 Million registered .COM and .NET domain names • These domains are in various states, such as: newly registered, expiring, renewed, or deleted Department Background: • The Business Intelligence group is responsible for reporting, modeling, forecasting, and creating a coherent narrative about the 'health' of the domain registry. • Our group acts as an information 'hub-and-spoke' for many internal customers such as, Marketing, Finance, Product Management, Account Management, and the Executive suite Data Background: • The primary source of data comes from Oracle Business Intelligence (OBIEE) • Oracle 11g running on Linux •…
      Consultant with 51-200 employees
      Essbase and EPM Integration Improvements in OBIEE 11.1.1.7
      One of the major new feature areas in OBIEE 11.1.1.7, but which has so far got very little attention, is the significant improvement in integration between Essbase, the Hyperion EPM Suite, and OBIEE 11g. The integration between EPM Workspace and OBIEE’s Presentation Services which disappeared when 11g came along is now back, along with installation and security integration, a new version of SmartView that (properly) supports OBIEE as a data source, and the ability to spin-off aggregates from the RPD into Essbase ASO cubes. Now some of these features of course made an appearance in the earlier, 11.1.1.6.2 BP1 release, and integration between OBIEE 11g and EPM Suite has been happening on-and-off right back from the OBIEE 10g days, but where we’re at now with OBIEE 11.1.1.7 is the…
      Director of Content at IT Central Station
      Community Manager
      Gartner's Magic Quadrant report says that OBIEE lacks good customer support. Have you found this to be the case?
      Based on Gartner's Magic Quadrant, Oracle's customer support, product quality and sales experience are chronic weaknesses of OBIEE. However, customers choose OBIEE due to its integration with other Oracle products. Are you a Real User of OBIEE? Have you found this to be the case in your organization? If you are a user or are evaluating OBIEE, add your comment below or write your own review. Share your opinion with our community!
      Head of Engineering at CloudBearings
      We used OBI EE for generating OOTB reports...
      We used OBI EE for generating OOTB reports and then for preparing few custom dashbaords for our clients as part of project. The product in terms of installation is simple but heavy and takes some time to generate your first report but when one ic comfortable can play easily with platform and this saves time. We have more than 250+ samples available on reporting, drill downs and graphical interactions which help you to prepare concise reports in one report. The ESSBASE query engine makes it possible to pass complex BI queries to engine in real time and responsive also. Overall nice platform which focuses on web and mobile analytics as well.
      Head of Engineering at CloudBearings
      Comprehensive BI tools, but lacks support for deploying multiple RPD on one BI server, direct access to RPD schema or model layers.
      BI Expert at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
      Dashboards, semantic modeling are great. But needs improvement with visualizations and mobile.

Valuable Features:

Dashboards, semantic modeling

Room for Improvement:

Slow to market with visualizations, mobile functionality Ad-hoc analysis is tedious and lacks advanced capabilities
      Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Top Reviewer
      Solid enterprise BI platform but lacks coherence
      The unwieldy acronym OBIEE stands for Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition. The offering is a loosely coupled assembly of a dozen plus components (eight – by some other counts) both acquired and homegrown. Its beginnings go back 12 years ago to nQuire product which first became Siebel Analytics only to be reborn as OBIEE after Oracle's acquisition of Siebel in 2005 and then Hyperion in 2007. The story does not end here as Oracle continues its acquisition spree with the recent (2012) purchase of Endeca for its e-Commerce search and analytics capabilities. The current intermediate result is a solid contender for the Enterprise BI Platform, firmly placed at the top-right of Gartner's Magic Quadrant along with Microstrategy, Microsoft, IBM, SAP and SAS. Oracle's page for…
      Download our free Oracle OBIEE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.