Oracle SOA Suite Overview

Oracle SOA Suite is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top SOA Governance tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: Oracle SOA Suite vs Mule ESB

What is Oracle SOA Suite?

Oracle SOA Suite is a comprehensive, standards-based software suite to build, deploy and manage integration following the concepts of service-oriented architecture (SOA). The components of the suite benefit from consistent tooling, a single deployment and management model, end-to-end security and unified metadata management. Oracle SOA Suite helps businesses lower costs by allowing maximum re-use of existing IT investments and assets, regardless of the environment (OS, application server, etc.) they run in, or the technology they were built upon. Its easy-to-use, re-use focused, unified application development tooling and end-to-end lifecycle management support further reduces development and maintenance cost and complexity.

For more information on Oracle SOA Suite, visit Oracle.com

Oracle SOA Suite is also known as SOA Suite.

Download the Application Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Oracle SOA Suite Customers
7-Eleven, Arcor SAIC, Banca Transilvania, Eaton Corporation, Emdeon, Ferrovial, Griffith University, National Instruments, Pella Corporation, Vodafone Group Plc,
Oracle SOA Suite Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Technical Team Lead at Wipro
We use BPEL to integrate Oracle Retail V14 to legacy systems

What is our primary use case?

Nowadays I work for a retail company, and we deliver SOA Suíte 12c to integrate SAP Hybris REST API with legacy systems. Before, I used to work for a telecom company, and we used OSB and BPEL to integrate IVR with legacy systems.

What other advice do I have?

Check also Oracle ICS and PCS on the cloud.
WC
retired at PROPIA
User
Allows for integrated systems and facilitates report making for quick decision making. Needs spreadsheet capability for data output

What is our primary use case?

My first application was in the planning of integral projects in a state university where we made a profile proposing the integral installation of communications, and built an edifice for the data center with a nutanix server. We created software sheltering the existing ideas, and the SOA web service facilitated this work.
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, WSO2, Red Hat and others in Application Infrastructure. Updated: May 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
The platform comes with a standalone, first-class Service Bus component that can be used for service virtualization.

What is our primary use case?

We position Oracle SOA Suite as the central on-premises integration platform, to integrate existing on-premises systems with each other. Furthermore, it is used in upcoming hybrid architectures, where Cloud-based systems and Cloud-native apps, need to be integrated with the existing on-premises applications.

• "The product allows you to visualize how a company is working currently by providing rich possibilities for analysis such as the audit trails and therefore shows where improvements might be valuable."
  • "The Maven integration in JDeveloper is very basic and might be enhanced to allow the proper use of Maven."

What other advice do I have?

Collect your requirements and be clear with what you need. Before starting a concrete project or even before doing the final sizing, talk with others who have already implemented the solution or have reliable experience in this area. This will help you to get things right from the beginning and help you to avoid running into pitfalls. Do not undersize the environment and always keep in mind what will come in the future. The product can be used to build a company's robust foundation regarding a enterprise-wide integration platform without hesitation, which we already did in different project…
Systems Architect, IT Project Leader at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Simplifies integrations but scaling is somewhat costly

What is our primary use case?

Integrations.

How has it helped my organization?

It simplifies integration.

What is most valuable?

Cost and scalability.

I think it's quite stable.

Scalability is medium, mainly because of cost.

Technical support has been good.

The setup was not really straightforward. I think it was medium complex.

Oracle, Dell Boomi, Software AG.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor are cost and scalability. I rate this solution at seven out of 10 because there are better options out…
General manager
User
Middleware jobs developing for EC, ERP, and shipping systems become easier

What is our primary use case?

Developing middleware with an EC platform, which enables our Product Manager to post products to different outside EC platforms with only one interface and one process.

How has it helped my organization?

With Oracle SOA, middleware jobs developing for the EC, ERP, and shipping systems become easier.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Cloud Adapter for Oracle ERP Cloud Oracle Cloud Adapter for Salesforce Oracle Managed File Transfer

What needs improvement?

The installation and adjustment process seems too complex. Would it be possible for the software to be installed in a short click?

Enterprise Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
UI is too complex, needs to be less technical; but integrates essential enterprise processes

• "Conceptually, how it integrates a lot of essential enterprise process components. That's the most valuable."
  • "The interface is too complicated. Making modifications still requires too much technical knowledge."

What other advice do I have?

We bought what we bought because of what we thought we were going to use it for. Hindsight, we would have never purchased it. So I would say be very clear and have a good understanding of your roadmap and your business strategy. See where you're going because you could be spending a lot of money for something you don't even utilize.
Manager Development at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The initial setup was complex without proper documentation. However, it has seamless integration.

What is most valuable?

The integration with various products Seamless integration

How has it helped my organization?

It helped in the transfer of data from one system to another.

What needs improvement?

The web services need to be more robust. Also, the error handling should be improved.

More than four years.

We had several issues.

Most of the time.

Customer Service: A four out of 10. Technical Support: A four out of 10.

How was the

SME at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Makes Real Time Transactions Easier Although There Are Issues With Cloud Backups

What is most valuable?

The new product has come out with SOA Cloud Service and Integration Analytics as well, which gives more options for clients to pick their point of requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

Real time transactions became easy and I feel the difference in experience.

What needs improvement?

SOA, OSB, SOA Cloud Service.

Seven years.

Yes, this product is not that stable.

Yes, cloud backups have issues.

Six out of 10.

I have been using the same solution.

User with 51-200 employees
Valuable features include web service development and cloud connectivity.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include web service development and cloud connectivity.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using the SOA suite for all cloud integrations.

What needs improvement?

SOA AP AR

We have been using this solution for two years.

There were some connectivity issues.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service was very good. Technical Support: Technical support is good.

Which solution did I use previously

Lead Oracle Middleware Developer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides connectivity between discrete systems.

What is most valuable?

Provides connectivity between discrete systems and has availability. It has more features to connect using connectors and Adapters and also cloud integrations. The re-usability of the services makes it reliable and reduces the development efforts.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables seamless integration and accountability. It has adapters for Salesforce and other cloud adapters. It has the infrastructure to re-process and troubleshoot the failed instances.

What needs improvement?

Decrease the number of internal resources which the product uses.

We have been using this solution for ten years.

There were no deployment issues.

What do I think

Consumer-focused product & marketing professional
Valuable features include connectors and BAM.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include connectors and BAM.

How has it helped my organization?

We need lot of visibility into all the key functions like OM, PO, etc.  We also have lot of systems running on different platforms. SOA was used as a central hub to orchestrate all of that.

What needs improvement?

I want to see easier integration connections with other cloud-based tools.

We have been using this for eight years.

There were some issues with deployment. It would help if there were a feature or add-on for connecting major repository versions.
Consultant Principal on: MuleSoft Expert, Oracle Fusion Expert, webMethods Expert; Dev, SA, EA, PM at Visual Integrator Consulting
Video Review
The main benefit is to integrate proprietary systems that can't naturally communicate through services, through APIs and to be able to reuse those services into composite applications.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I would give it a solid eight. I want to say ten but nothing is perfect. Gartner does rate it as one of the leading vendors in their quadrants, so that's always good as well. We've seen a lot of adoption, a lot of Oracle customers have bought it and it's got a lot of good features. The reason why I may not give it a nine or 10 are some of the things that we talked about earlier, some of the potential weaknesses around cloud enablement, lightweight enablement, pricing, things like these. That have been a little bit of inhibitors to some of the smaller and medium-sized customers and…
Partner at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
In my role, the most valuable feature of the product is the declarative way of orchestrating your web server engines instead of having to code it all manually.
Enterprise Integration Architect at Capgemini
We have primarily been making use of SCA, BPEL, Mediators, and JMS, along with a number of extension products.

What other advice do I have?

If you're starting from scratch with Oracle, seed your team with some resources who have knowledge and reputation. Invest in your own people to develop knowledge in the breadth of the tool. Even if you use SLS to deliver, having some knowledge of your own can help hold them to account. This is most critical if you've engaged them on a fixed-price model as they will want to keep the cost down, which might work to your best interests.
Developer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
JMS integration for reliable messaging is probably the most valuable feature. There's no proper documentation or tutorial for embedding JavaScript.

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with the product. If someone is looking to implement it, they should really look to get their infrastructure right before you start implementing services.
Sr. Manager Supply Chain Applications at Art.com
We utilize SOA to integrate between eCommerce platform and the ERP.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on the business model of the company selecting a solution. It's not a complex tool in terms of building/utilizing services. It is a comprehensive service mediation tool and can handle heterogeneous service integrations . Businesses can utilize it as key performance tool as well. SOA allows enterprises to use BAM (Business Activity Monitoring), a run time business matrix from the various applications to provide important insight into the health of its operations and business activities. Depending on how an enterprise explores it and leverages it, there are lot of benefits that…
Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Single development for multiple deployments are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

You should go for it. It is quite user-friendly and the tutorials are hands-on. You just go through the tutorials.
Manager Of Applications at US Silica Company
It integrates with a wide variety of other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Look at all the integration adapters that SOA Suite offers. If those are the integration points that you wish to integrate with, I think it's the right solution. If there are some that are still in development or whatever, such as the Salesforce one, then you should probably consider something else. There's a little bit of room for improvement, as I’ve mentioned, on the Salesforce side. Other than that, I think it's doing what it's supposed to do.
Technology Executive at Accenture
It adapts different protocols easily with no coding.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for Accenture support. We have tons of experience at the moment in the team and in the regions, in Europe, especially. I think that the best solutions start with the configuration, in terms of high availability that is similar to production, in order to test all the configurations sent in from development. During the last five years, the product has improved a lot. At the moment, it's a very natural product; a lot of very good features at the high end of the market.
Senior IT Analyst at Xilinx
MSP
It connects to any and every application, and with different sources: files, databases and web services.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to invest in this product, I recommend to go ahead and do it. If someone is starting ,start with the latest version. It version is a lot better than it used to be. Don't even look back at the old version.
Director of Training at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Scalability is a strength, and customer support is responsive.

What other advice do I have?

Get training up front. Hire an experienced administrator. Bring in experienced consultants to help on the initial project to help mentor and provide best practices.
Oracle SOA-FM Developer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
It combines a lot of commonly used apps from a business perspective.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, but still also mind your business needs and your business case. I don’t suggest jumping for it right away. Evaluate how much value it can add for your organization.
1ADM Risk and Controls Lead at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We use it to interface between JD Edwards and the database, as well as to legacy systems.

What other advice do I have?

I think about process, not solutions. Determine what you really want to do first. Then, once you have clearly determined what you want to do, determine your requirements. Once you have the requirements, then go find the solution that meets those requirements. Rather than thinking of the solution and trying to look backwards; does it fit? Know what you really want and then go find the product. You will rarely find a product that gives you 100%, but you might find one that gives you 80% of what you need, so determine what you can live with and what you can't live without. When I’m selecting a…
Senior Integration Developer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
I like the all-in-one installation, management from one console, enhanced JVM for great throughput, and memory management.

What other advice do I have?

I think the world is moving is towards Cloud solutions and in the same path Oracle has cloud solutions, if you are ready to shell out few extra bucks for your Business’s IT infra and solutions, then Oracle is the one.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The monitoring capabilities granted the business transactions more visibility over to the business users.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out and explore the existing features and how they would positively impact your business. Identify the use cases for the several products/components in the suite and see what makes sense for you to license and then build on it.
Oracle Fusion Middleware Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees

Valuable Features

OSB Administration Console Error/Exception Management Framework

Improvements to My Organization

SOA Suite greatly improved application to application integration when it was implemented. New tools like Managed File Transfer (MFT) and Enterprise Scheduler Service released with the latest version made things easier.

Use of Solution

4 years

SOA Suite setup and deployment is very user friendly and easy to implement.

Implementation Team

I have always worked with Oracle partners and we usually implement for clients. Implementation is relatively easy.

ROI

SOA Suite initial cost (acquisition and implementation) is relatively expensive but I believe it's worth its price and the long-term benefits…
Architect at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its strength is its consistency and compliance with the Java Enterprise Edition standard and the underlying application servers.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good ESB if your team has JEE knowledge.
Sr. Professional Services Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Newly introduced in SOA 12c, Enterprise Scheduler Service helps to schedule components or services and manages the complete lifecycle of a job.

What other advice do I have?

As a consultant working on both 11g and 12c , I will strongly recommend customers move to 12c as soon as possible and leverage the huge number of new features the product provides in the 12c version.
Oracle SOA BPEL Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We're able to activate devices which need pass codes ourselves. It loads and works slowly, using huge amounts of CPU and RAM.

What other advice do I have?

You have to have patience and struggle with it, as with all technologies!
Manager, Database and Security at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can reach back into the database and find out where your data is. My biggest complaint is finding the right support for it.

What other advice do I have?

There are different products that can do the same thing. Evaluate your requirements and if you have big plans for integration with Oracle, give it some thought.
Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
With careful planning and performance benchmarking, you can ensure the applications are used at full capacity and not pass the critical load point.

What other advice do I have?

Plan carefully and make sure that the SOA is part of the vision of your enterprise. The last thing you want is to make it an "after thought" which can prove itself to be a risk on its own and very intrusive in nature.
SOA Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reusability of services is an important feature which allows users to eliminate extraneous legacy systems.

What other advice do I have?

Perform a proper requirement gathering and check where this product is best suited in your organization.
SOA Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
It has enabled quick development of integration interfaces between multiple systems.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I can give is to just make sure that you are very familiar with the products and the services that they offer. Ensure there is someone involved who is familiar with the product and its features for the implementation of an Enterprise Software solution.
IT Developer Supervisor at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
A reliable solution which we use to connect with Taleo, Salesforce and other cloud solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an 8. The reason being, I didn't want to give it a higher rating is because it's a little bit complex. It takes a little bit of time to get used to it, and to figure out and find the actual developers who can work on the solution. Like the processes and stuff. And that's basically why I would rate it a 8.
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) Senior Developer & SOA Architect at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I value the flexibility of using the JDeveloper development tool for web service.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for people looking to implement this product is that training is a must. You have to make that investment in your in-house resources to be successful in supporting the product. If they fix the memory leak issues with JDeveloper toolset and make the training needed less intensive I would give it a 10/10.
Senior Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables us to perform quick deliveries. We faced some issues, particularly in clustered environments.

What other advice do I have?

Go for Oracle SOA Suite if you have complex integration scenarios or there is a need to service your legacy systems. Never implement a business functionality in Oracle SOA suite and it has to be purely used for VETRO (Validation, Enrichment, Transformation, Routing, and Orchestration). It is not recommended for start ups to build their IT infrastructure.
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It enables us to adhere to corporate standard for developing integrations.

What other advice do I have?

You should use the new MFT, templates, REST features, and cloud adapters to get the best out of it.
Principal Consultant at Rubicon Red
It's one integrated product and supportive of different technologies.

What other advice do I have?

With a lot of cloud applications coming in, the dimensions of integration is changing. Integration is not just between systems on premise, but it is also between systems on-premise and in the cloud. And, again between systems within the cloud. So WebLogic, and SOA Suite together are not sufficient to handle all these integrations. It has been proven to support integration which are on-premise to cloud, and then cloud-to-cloud integration, so the dimensions of integration are changing. Invest in how you would use SOA Suite over other cloud-based integration suites such as ICS and have a clear…
Development Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The modules are hot-pluggable, so we can make changes to our IT infrastructure and architecture without having to replace existing or to buy new components.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to buy it and use it. It's a great product.
Director of Technical Architecture with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the integration with Oracle Fusion middleware products and the native support.

What other advice do I have?

In our enterprise, we have a mix of products and each product helps the business in different ways. It's advisable to measure the business needs first and then plan for the implementation, because once implementation starts with an older version by the time it stabilizes, the stack needs to be upgraded. Oracle product upgrades are not very straightforward. Sometimes there is a slight unwillingness from the stakeholders to stay on the updated version rather than continuing with the existing.
Programmer/Analyst at Lidestri Foods
It provides us with an out-of-box EDI solution that allows us to work and trade with all our partners and other companies.​​ There are some performance and reliability issues.

What other advice do I have?

Just make sure you work with your technical team and know what current version is and all the patch notes that tie to that.
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 501-1,000 employees
It enables communication between different systems -- some old, some new -- by using middleware.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a good leader/manager take this project and lay down a good strategy/plan before jumping into implementation.
Department Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It has a broad set of tools for handling SOAP and REST integrations to FTP, files, and JMS depending on need.

What other advice do I have?

There is an active community -- read blogs and books, and attend conferences, and training, or work side-by-side with someone who knows the product. Also, plan the architecture well.
Full Professor at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
REST adapters have now been upgraded so that there is no explicit need to translate REST and JSON on in/outbound.

What other advice do I have?

It is essential to have a good understanding of the features provided, including BPEL, services, adapters, mediations, human workflow and other features. It is also good to get familiar with SOA concepts and patterns. Using this product is the right way to go and following sound development practices brings results quickly. However, using the product in wrong way might not provide all the benefits.
Senior SOA Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has easy-to-use development environment/maintenance consoles and default connectors for third-party integration.

What other advice do I have?

The Oracle integration platforms keeps getting expanded with more products. Overall, it's a mature and complete platform, ideal for implementing high-quality business solutions. Oracle has a real wide community which can help with almost any use case. It has an easy-to-use development environment. It's just a complete all-in-one solution.
Oracle Ace Director at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
By being more agile and reusing services, it shortens software development lifecycles.
Senior Oracle SOA / Java Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
Since it provides many components, it is an extensive toolkit for developers who can use it for complex functionality with little coding.

What other advice do I have?

Choose the right tool for the job. Think carefully about selecting an implementation partner. Preferably choose one who has a proven track record, a good relationship with the product vendor, and who will help you achieve your goals with this product.
Owner at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The integration possibilities with other Oracle Fusion middleware products is the most valuable feature of the SOA Suite solution.
Project and IT Architecture Manager at a security firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Using OSB, we can have now a single point of access for all our systems, including legacy solutions. BAM's level of maturity is far below the rest of the product.

What other advice do I have?

Some products like OSB and BPEL engine can be rated 9/10, but some others like BAM are indeed below 3 or 4/10 due to their immaturity. My best advice is to be careful with reporting using BAM. If you need real-time reporting, you will have to use other solutions.
Download our free Application Infrastructure Report and find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, WSO2, Red Hat, and more!
Quick Links