Proofpoint Email Protection Overview

Proofpoint Email Protection is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Office 365 Protection tools. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire: Proofpoint Email Protection vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire

What is Proofpoint Email Protection?

Proofpoint Email Protection stops malware and non-malware threats such as impostor email (also known as email fraud). Deployed as a cloud service or on-premises, it provides granular filtering to control bulk "graymail" and other unwanted email. And business continuity capabilities keep email communications flowing, even when your email server fails.

Proofpoint Email Protection is also known as Proofpoint Enterprise Protection.

Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide

Download the Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Proofpoint Email Protection Customers

Blocket, University of Waterloo, Lincoln Memorial University, WellSpan Health, U-Haul, Carestream Health, Westinghouse

Proofpoint Email Protection Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Proofpoint Email Protection pricing:
  • "Annually, it costs us about $92,000. This is pretty much what it costs us. There is no additional cost."
  • "The price is reasonable."

Proofpoint Email Protection Reviews

Luis Brown
Chief Information Security Officer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 8, 2020
A stable and capable anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection solution

What is our primary use case?

We use it in front of Office 365 for anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection.

• "Its anti-phishing functionality is the most valuable. Certainly, the biggest problem I have is phishing."
  • "It has too many screens. It is kind of a conglomeration of products. In other words, they built product A, product B, and product C, and they are yet to integrate them into a single administrative console. I would certainly like to see a more seamless administrative interface. I would also like to see them include more bang for the buck, by including features like email fraud protection, rather than making their product so piecemeal, where you are buying little pieces. I agree with the idea of having multiple tiers or layers, but maybe as small, medium, and large, as opposed to an a la carte menu."

What other advice do I have?

They're the best in the breed. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a ten out of ten for the capability of doing its job. I am happy with this solution.
reviewer1050960
CISO at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 23, 2020
Good stability and a straightforward setup with good URL rewrite capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to block malicious email and spam in bulk.

• "The initial implementation is pretty easy to handle."
  • "We find the cost to be prohibitive."

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. The advice that I would give to other companies who are considering using the solution is to really test the systems, even for outlandish attacks, to see if it will hold up. For me personally, I actually have two Proofpoint accounts. I have a Proofpoint account for something completely unrelated to B&H and I was able to prove that's almost anything you think of you can do, although it might not say in the documentation or the people at…
Find out what your peers are saying about Proofpoint, Cisco, Agari and others in Email Security. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1261605
Director with 51-200 employees
Jan 22, 2020
Easy to use and set up with excellent anti-spam features

What is our primary use case?

Proofpoint is number one in terms of market share worldwide. We recommend it to clients because of its rich features. It offers a lot of choices. We primarily use the solution because of its rich features in email protection. It also provides protection for the cloud. It provides backup targeted attack protection features as well.

• "The anti-spam features are excellent on the email firewalls."
  • "The solution could be improved with the addition of PLP and email encryption features."

What other advice do I have?

Our company is a direct partner of Proofpoint and not an end-user. Since I don't have too much experience with usage, I don't think I can speak to it as well as a typical user. We work with Email Protection and Targeted Attack Protection. We handle the on-premises deployment model. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I'm very happy with it, and even one year after implementation I haven't had any issues with it or had any customers who were displeased with the solution.
Sridhar Rudra
Security Professional at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Jan 16, 2021
Good targeted attack protection, stable, easy to install, and well priced

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers who recommend products for our customers. Our customer's license expired and we suggested Proofpoint Email Protection. Our customers are enterprise companies.

• "The most valuable features are the business email compromise protection and targeted attack prevention."
  • "The largest complaint that we hear from our customers is that there is no local support."

reviewer1458411
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Nov 29, 2020
Supportive and responsive technical support with good security rules

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and this is a product that we implement for our customers.

• "They have customized security rules, mature rules, anti-virus protection, as well as email authentication similar to SPF, DKIM, and DMARC."
  • "They do not have an on-demand scan for the internal viruses and internal users, and they don't have a scan for the exchange server against viruses and spam as Symantec does."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a nine out of ten.
Ken Wottge
Information Security Officer at UC San Diego Health System
Dec 26, 2019
Advanced protection allows us to remove messages before they are officially classified as bad

What is our primary use case?

We use Proofpoint for advanced email protection from a number of threats, including phishing and account spoofing.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has reduced the number of phishing and spoofed emails that we have received.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to remove bad messages that were delivered, prior to being classified as unwanted.

What needs improvement?

Proofpoint should have better integration with complex environments that need more than one instance of Proofpoint, as there are issues with nested instances.

We have been using this solution for six months.
Download our free Email Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Proofpoint, Cisco, Agari, and more!