Proofpoint Email Protection Overview
Proofpoint Email Protection is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Email Security tools. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire: Proofpoint Email Protection vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire
What is Proofpoint Email Protection?
Proofpoint Email Protection stops malware and non-malware threats such as impostor email (also known as email fraud). Deployed as a cloud service or on-premises, it provides granular filtering to control bulk "graymail" and other unwanted email. And business continuity capabilities keep email communications flowing, even when your email server fails.
Proofpoint Email Protection is also known as Proofpoint Enterprise Protection.
Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide
Download the Proofpoint Email Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021
Proofpoint Email Protection Customers
Blocket, University of Waterloo, Lincoln Memorial University, WellSpan Health, U-Haul, Carestream Health, Westinghouse
Proofpoint Email Protection Video
What users are saying about Proofpoint Email Protection pricing:
- "The licensing is basically $8/user."
- "Proofpoint is fairly expensive."
- "It is multiple times more expensive, which made it very much less attractive."
- "Annually, it costs us about $92,000. This is pretty much what it costs us. There is no additional cost."
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Information Technology Help Desk Technician at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Mar 22, 2021
Flexible, very secure, and offers excellent technical support
What is our primary use case?We use it as a corporate or as an exchange email filter to protect, to stop any executables from coming through email, and to halt phishing scams. Basically, the product is for email security. We use it for our network. Also, if a user thinks that they didn't get an email, we can access the Proofpoint dashboard and go find missing mail that either people didn't get so we can rerelease it to them. Or if it did get quarantined, we can release and approve a sender. You can blacklist and whitelist sender lists. If you are getting phishing scams that get through the filter, you can end up shutting… more »
Pros and Cons
- "The solution offers very good flexibility. You can blacklist or whitelist with ease."
- "The Secure Mail aspect should have an Outlook add-in, instead of an external dashboard that outside users have to access."
What other advice do I have?I'd advise users to get the package with the Secure Mail feature and then make sure that you whitelist all your important IPs and then add domains of all known users, so you don't run across any blocked or missing mail. Our users have learned to be more careful and look for more phishing attempts from it, because now they know what a normal email should look like instead of, "Hey, here's a link you need to update your password." And then just clicking away. Through this they've been able to see, because we can show them, "Look, this is blocked, this wasn't, here's why." Right. So we've been…
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A reputation-based service that denies the connection from known malicious sites
What is our primary use case?We use this solution as a firewall for our email environment; it's basically a reputation-based service. It denies the connection from known bad sites. That's the biggest protection they have when you go to the antivirus and anti-spam modules. They even have an encryption piece in it.
Pros and Cons
- "Proofpoint is the main tool for blocking spam because it denies the connection altogether."
- "It's scalable, but the devil's in the details — you have to know your email volumes."
What other advice do I have?You need to be able to connect the dots on what the licensing buys you and what that particular module is to accomplish. Therefore, it behooves you to get someone that understands how the product works, what each module's intended for, what the licensing entails, and the cost-effectiveness of it. It's one of the top products out there. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine. It's just got the BC feature on it. If you get Defender for Office 365 specifically, that is the key to email protection from the Microsoft product. If you don't have that, then…
Learn what your peers think about Proofpoint Email Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of IT Department at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I previously used Symantec and switched because the quality of support, stability, and accuracy went down
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case for Proofpoint Email Protection is for email security, to secure all the inbound and outbound emails.
Pros and Cons
- "I like all the features with Proofpoint, such as how it filters the spam and marketing mail, lost reality mail, blocks phishing attacks, blocks malicious attachments, and stops phishing links. Also it can defend against the business email compromise impersonation technique. It is a complete solution for all email attacks. It filters for the bad, malicious attachments. If there is any executable file, it can be deleted. It is a good, complete solution."
- "The reporting section could be enhanced. I like some reports but if they could allow us to create custom reports with more flexibility it would enhance the reports more."
What other advice do I have?My advice is that any customer who is concerned for his users has to look at Proofpoint. I recommend Proofpoint. You see a lot of attacks coming through emails. So I recommend Proofpoint for any customer, regardless of the size of the company. By the way, they have another product for smaller companies, the essential version. I have the enterprise version because I need more customization with more features. The smaller companies who have less than 100 users can go with the essential version, which is cheaper. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Proofpoint Email Protection a nine.
Chief Information Officer at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Real UserTop 10
May 16, 2021
Reliable, scalable, protects your email from threats, and has good support
What is our primary use case?I am the CIO, I have consultants. We use Proofpoint Email Protection to filter out malicious emails.
Pros and Cons
- "The setup was easy."
- "I would want better spear phishing protection in the essentials package."
What other advice do I have?I would advise people to look at the options. It does what it says it's going to do. The only issue is the cost. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection an eight out of ten.
Chief Information Security Officer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and capable anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection solution
What is our primary use case?We use it in front of Office 365 for anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection.
Pros and Cons
- "Its anti-phishing functionality is the most valuable. Certainly, the biggest problem I have is phishing."
- "It has too many screens. It is kind of a conglomeration of products. In other words, they built product A, product B, and product C, and they are yet to integrate them into a single administrative console. I would certainly like to see a more seamless administrative interface. I would also like to see them include more bang for the buck, by including features like email fraud protection, rather than making their product so piecemeal, where you are buying little pieces. I agree with the idea of having multiple tiers or layers, but maybe as small, medium, and large, as opposed to an a la carte menu."
What other advice do I have?They're the best in the breed. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a ten out of ten for the capability of doing its job. I am happy with this solution.
CISO at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability and a straightforward setup with good URL rewrite capabilities
What is our primary use case?We primarily use the solution to block malicious email and spam in bulk.
Pros and Cons
- "The initial implementation is pretty easy to handle."
- "We find the cost to be prohibitive."
What other advice do I have?We're simply customers of the solution. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. The advice that I would give to other companies who are considering using the solution is to really test the systems, even for outlandish attacks, to see if it will hold up. For me personally, I actually have two Proofpoint accounts. I have a Proofpoint account for something completely unrelated to B&H and I was able to prove that's almost anything you think of you can do, although it might not say in the documentation or the people at…
Managing Director at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Real UserTop 10
Jan 26, 2021
Good security with reasonable pricing and a straightforward setup
What is our primary use case?We primarily use the solution for a variety of services. It's mostly related to email.
Pros and Cons
- "The solution scales quite well."
- "The incident reporting on offer needs to be improved. It's lacking right now. It should be on the platform somewhere."
What other advice do I have?We're just consultants. We help our clients with this product. Overall, we've been happy with the product and the results we've gotten. I would rate the product at a nine out of ten. While I don't have specific advice, I can say that the solution is easy to handle and we didn't have any troubles with the initial implementation. It was pretty seamless. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.
Director with 51-200 employees
Jan 22, 2020
Easy to use and set up with excellent anti-spam features
What is our primary use case?Proofpoint is number one in terms of market share worldwide. We recommend it to clients because of its rich features. It offers a lot of choices. We primarily use the solution because of its rich features in email protection. It also provides protection for the cloud. It provides backup targeted attack protection features as well.
Pros and Cons
- "The anti-spam features are excellent on the email firewalls."
- "The solution could be improved with the addition of PLP and email encryption features."
What other advice do I have?Our company is a direct partner of Proofpoint and not an end-user. Since I don't have too much experience with usage, I don't think I can speak to it as well as a typical user. We work with Email Protection and Targeted Attack Protection. We handle the on-premises deployment model. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. I'm very happy with it, and even one year after implementation I haven't had any issues with it or had any customers who were displeased with the solution.
See 3 more Proofpoint Email Protection Reviews
Download our free Proofpoint Email Protection Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.