SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Overview
What is SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer?SolarWinds Netflow Traffic Analyzer enables you to capture data from continuous streams of network traffic and convert those raw numbers into easy-to-interpret charts and tables that quantify exactly how the corporate network is being used, by whom, and for what purpose.
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer is also known as Netflow Traffic Analyzer.
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide
Download the SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer CustomersOceaneering International, Asia Pacific Network Information Centre, 335th Signal Command, Immofori
SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Video
What users are saying about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer pricing:
- "The licensing for this solution is based on the number of nodes."
- "We pay yearly, and we are happy with its price."
- "The price of this solution is exceptional."
- "The pricing is reasonable."
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
IT Analyst at Hawkbridge Consultants
Real UserTop 20
Sep 23, 2019
Has a lovely graphical interface, it's easy to use, has powerful reporting features, and excellent support
What is our primary use case?We use SolarWinds as a core tool to monitor our internal infrastructure.
Pros and Cons
- "In terms of the implementation, we've actually used SAM, the server and application monitoring tools. The network configuration tools are very useful in terms of bulk upgrading switches and infrastructure. Also, the Network Traffic Analyzer was extremely useful to track down errant users soaking up bandwidth."
- "The problem is that SolarWinds is trying to bolt in too much and that can leave bugs, which you have to then sort out, leaving the product unstable. SolarWinds needs to try and slow down and improve the stability of the product, as opposed to bringing out more and more features."
What other advice do I have?My advice to someone considering this solution would be to look on the THWACK forums, which is the SolarWinds community support. It's a user support forum. I'd pose lots of questions on THWACK and I'd take advantage of the 30-day trial as well, which is available for all corporates initially when you want to use a product. You get 30 days free of charge to try out a product without obligations. SolarWinds is fairly competitive. There are lots of tools and products out there so you really do need to look at what options are actually available before jumping in and going down the SolarWinds…
Senior Network Specialist at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jan 13, 2020
Alerts us whenever a device is down but it cannot do metric performance monitoring
What is our primary use case?SolarWinds is a traditional enterprise network monitoring platform. It provides an event-triggered alarm. This is as opposed to ThousandEyes which is an application for delivery and performance metric monitoring. ThusandEyes is a service delivery tool for SaaS-based applications, with service delivery monitoring and circuit performance metric monitoring. Also, whereas SolarWinds is on-premises, this solution is cloud-based. Their analytic tools are on a cloud-based portal, but we have a physical, agent-based performance monitoring tool installed across the site.
Pros and Cons
- "SolarWinds has improved our organization because whenever a device is down, we get an alert."
- "It does not flow. It cannot do our metric performance monitoring. So it is very limited. They can do it but in a very limited fashion. It is only good for SNMP-based alerts."
What other advice do I have?As for advice for people looking to implement either solution, it's on a case-by-case basis as each person has different requirements. In our case, one can do somethings and can't do others. It's not the silver bullet that can fix everything, but we selected them based on our requirements. On a scale of one to ten, I'd rate SolarWinds a 5. It does not flow. It cannot do our metric performance monitoring. So it is very limited. They can do it but in a very limited fashion. It is only good for SNMP-based alerts. Regarding ThousandEyes, I would give it a seven, because you can set a threshold but…
Learn what your peers think about SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Director at NEDCO
Sep 30, 2019
Helps diagnose issues and relieve network congestion, but the licensing needs to be improved
What is our primary use case?We have a collection of SolarWinds solutions. Our primary use for this tool is to monitor our network. We have a LAN and WAN to monitor. We use the product to get an overview of the performance to let us predict potential issues and act preemptively before we have real problems. The product helps us monitor the load on the network and on the different network lines. We are planning to expand our use because they offer some good advantages with broader product use. It is used on a daily basis and it is one of the key tools that we use to maintain our network and keep track of our… more »
Pros and Cons
- "With SolarWinds, we are now able to accurately gauge bandwidth consumption."
- "The licensing should be more realistic so that we can adjust the number of nodes according to my needs, rather than in fixed increments."
What other advice do I have?We are planning on upgrading to the SL2000 model. As of today, I am satisfied with this solution. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Network Services Manager at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Real UserTop 20
Sep 28, 2020
Good reporting allows us to proactively deal with bandwidth-related issues
What is our primary use case?We use this product for monitoring our bandwidth. We run daily reports, send the data to Tableau, put that in a map of Texas, and look at all of our sites. It tells us if we're nearing 80% and when we need to increase bandwidth.
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is the ability to look for any increases in bandwidth over time so that we can plan before it becomes critical."
- "It's not a cheap product, so the pricing could be improved."
What other advice do I have?As this solution is implemented now, we're running fine and it is difficult to see things that can improve. It's giving us all of the information we need. For example, we have SNMP traps set up and we are able to look at offices across the entire state of Texas. It's a pretty big job. We are very much sold on this solution and plan to continue using it. My advice for anybody who is considering SolarWinds to get the free 30-day trial, install it, test it, and see if it meets their needs. They have a lot of different modules available, so you buy the ones that you need and implement them…
Control Department Head of Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides good response for managing the traffic, but doesn't provide information about the endpoint that is downloading heavy files
What is our primary use case?We use many SolarWinds solutions. We use SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer mostly for monitoring the traffic and ensuring that everything is working well. We use it to manage and monitor the traffic and check if the connection between the two sites is well.
Pros and Cons
- "For managing the traffic, it provides you a response about whether the traffic is down, up, or heavy, which is a very powerful feature. It has a good response time. We have been using this solution for many years, and we don't have any problem with this solution."
- "If your network is on SolarWinds, and you notice that the traffic is bad because it says "user downloading a heavy file," it doesn't indicate which endpoint is downloading those heavy files. SolarWinds doesn't have the tools to be able to handle this kind of situation. You can just notice through your network device that the traffic is becoming overwhelming or heavy, but you cannot go inside and get more details related to the endpoint where it is happening. We would like SolarWinds to be able to handle this kind of situation and even manage the traffic inside a network from the endpoint to the network device. These would be good enhancements. It is mostly stable. The problem comes only when we want to add another SolarWinds model. SolarWinds has so many models, and sometimes when we want to add other models on the platforms that are reserved for our firm, it freezes. When this happens, we have to create a new VM for that model."
What other advice do I have?I would recommend this solution if your need is really about monitoring the traffic. It gives good feedback for monitoring the traffic, and it is a good solution for that, but if you want to do more than that, I would not recommend this solution. It is a good solution for small and medium enterprises. It is good for enterprises that are not too big and don't have too many networks. I would rate SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer a six out of ten.
Information Technology Manager at B&I Contractors
Real UserTop 10
Feb 14, 2020
Alerting capability useful for monitoring abnormal usage, but internal network visibility could be better
What is our primary use case?This solution allows me to see what we are using in terms of bandwidth on the WAN. I can use that in conjunction with Observium to figure out what endpoint on the network is pulling a lot of data, and what type of data it is. One of the problems is that I am using two different products with two different dashboards to chase down the same problem. The bandwidth analyzer alerts me to the issue of excessive bandwidth usage, but then I have to look at the second product to figure out where. I have to find out what switch, what port, and potentially what host, so it takes a little bit of… more »
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is the alarm that is set up to trigger based on bandwidth utilization."
- "This solution does not do a very good job when I am trying to look deeper into my internal network, in particular with respect to individual ports."
What other advice do I have?This was a good solution when we began using it a few years ago. However, now as the company is growing, I have more data lines coming in and I have more endpoints, I want to combine products. I'm looking for a single pane of glass dashboard to keep an eye on the entire infrastructure. As it is now, I have three dashboards that I have to keep track of. Right now, this solution is doing what I need it to do. There is probably more room for improvement but I use the product in a simplistic way so there are things that I have not learned about it. Ideally, I would like a single product that does…
Networks Lead Engineer at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Real UserTop 20
Apr 1, 2020
Simple to use, provides valuable insight into traffic usage, and generates comprehensive reports
What is our primary use case?I was using this solution in my previous company for four years and am trying to bring it to my new organization. We are currently running a PoC.
Pros and Cons
- "The monitoring is perfect, showing you the details for the utilization of resources and network bandwidth."
- "The Atlas module that is used for building the network map is very bad."
What other advice do I have?This solution does an excellent job but nothing is perfect. There are some things that need to be improved. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Managing Director at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to deploy, reasonably-priced, and everything can be managed in one place
What is our primary use case?We use this product to analyze network traffic flow. For example, we analyze the traffic that is using a lot of bandwidth to determine which application or information stream is responsible.
Pros and Cons
- "The integration with other SolarWinds products is good."
- "I would like to see more artificial intelligence capabilities."
What other advice do I have?Overall, for my use cases, this product is very good and I recommend it. My advice is that if you decide to implement SolarWinds then they have a few other good products that you can use. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 6 more SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Reviews
Product CategoriesNetwork Traffic Analysis (NTA)
Download our free SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.