Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Overview
Symantec End-User Endpoint Security is the #3 ranked solution in our list of endpoint security software. It is most often compared to Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Symantec End-User Endpoint Security vs Microsoft Defender Antivirus
What is Symantec End-User Endpoint Security?
Unmatched Endpoint Safety for Your OrganizationAs an on-premises, hybrid, or cloud-based solution, the single-agent Symantec platform protects all your traditional and mobile endpoint devices, and uses artificial intelligence (AI) to optimize security decisions.
Symantec End-User Endpoint Security is also known as Symantec EPP, Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP).
Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide
Download the Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021
Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Customers
Audio Visual Dynamics, Red Deer Advocate, Asia Pacific Telecom Co. Ltd., Kibbutz Ein Gedi, and AMETEK, Inc.
Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Video
What users are saying about Symantec End-User Endpoint Security pricing:
- "The problem is Symantec is more expensive than other vendors."
- "We pay on a yearly basis..."
Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Reviews
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Computer Systems Administrator at a university with 10,001+ employees
Nov 24, 2020
Lacks next-generation behaviour-based detection, offers terrible technical support, and not as robust as competitors
What is our primary use case?The use case for the solution was basically this: any computer or anything used for any sort of official business needed to have endpoint protection and needed to have some sort of antivirus protection. The thing was somewhat more than just an antivirus, it also included a firewall that operated in addition to the Windows or Mac firewall. The university policy basically required that all endpoint devices used for official business have to meet certain requirements and one of them was to have an antivirus.
Pros and Cons
- "The solution detects malware very well."
- "The stability was not the best. There were times when antivirus updates broke it. It wasn't necessarily self-updating - at least, not in terms of the virus signatures. It updated in terms of the executable files. Therefore, when Windows updates would come out, they often couldn't be installed, or the computer would hang due to the fact that the updates weren't compatible with the antivirus."
What other advice do I have?The solution is a kind of a mix between an on-premise managed server that managing some machines, and other machines just had an unmanaged client that was distributed to students. It's not actually a cloud, it's a server. It's an on-premises server. It's not a cloud-based server that is being used. The antiviruses report to the server and policies can be set on the server. I'd advise users to be aware that there are better solutions out there than this. I've learned that technology can change and your solution may be great now, but in a few years, it may drop to the bottom of the barrel…
Sr. Professional Services Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Real UserTop 10
Nov 17, 2020
Offers excellent advanced and modern features and does a great job at protecting your environment
What is our primary use case?The primary use case for this solution is to protect all endpoints in a complex enterprise environment, including it's servers, workstation, Citrix-based systems, includes Windows, Linux and Macs. We're a small company, under 50 users. But we deploy Symantec to companies that have from a few hundred to dozens of thousand users, therefore I have extensive experience with the product. We are partners and resellers and I'm a senior professional services engineer.
Pros and Cons
- "The firewall, IPS and device control are useful at protecting the environment."
- "There is a lack of reporting and alerts."
What other advice do I have?It's like any enterprise solution, it needs to be done professionally. People complain about Symantec, claiming it's messed up their system but I've deployed it to hundreds of places of all sizes and have had few issues. The problems are self-induced because the people deploying didn't know what they were doing, and didn't understand the solution. They didn't do the pilot, they didn't do the best practices. And so something happened, messed up the system, and created problems, and they blamed the product. This remains a very viable solution. There's a lot of sexier stuff out there, but…
Learn what your peers think about Symantec End-User Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
464,369 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
Aug 5, 2020
This is still a solid product but is lagging behind the competition in keeping up with modern needs
What is our primary use case?We use the product as an antivirus solution and install it on every end-user machine.
Pros and Cons
- "It is a solid antivirus security product."
- "The whitelisting feature does not work as expected."
- "The enterprise edition does not report attacks on external devices."
What other advice do I have?The honest advice I would have for someone considering this solution at this point in time is to move on. I say this because Symantec is being bought out by Broadcom. That may not be a bad thing on its own. Symantec has traditionally been a very good company and still was up to this point. But being bought by another company just means that there will be a mess because of the transition and integration between these companies and products. Developers of the product will be spending time focusing on that merger rather than core product issues. It creates a little bit of a mess that the client…
Senior Network Engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Jul 14, 2020
Blocks threats well and is automatically updated on a regular basis
What is our primary use case?The primary use cases of this solution are for antivirus protection, anti-malware protection, and personal firewall protection.
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is the automated updating feature."
- "This solution is resource-heavy."
What other advice do I have?Within the last three or four months, we decided to drop Symantec on its own because of some issues we have with the company. We will be using Sophos. Symantec sold off their enterprise solutions, which this product falls into. When they sold it. they sold it to a company that has purchased software packages in the past and not done very well with it. They are a hardware company trying to expand into the software realm. This is another example of a hardware company that thinks that they can do software and they can't. We were told that Broadcom was ignoring all of their customers that were…
Director at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Jul 14, 2020
Great administrative control, reliable technical support, and easy to implement
What is our primary use case?We basically use the solution for endpoint protection.
Pros and Cons
- "The single-pane management is the solution's most valuable feature. It makes administrative control very easy."
- "I know they were just bought out by Broadcom and there have been some difficulties with Broadcom as far as getting license renewals, etc. Mostly, due to the fact that it's confusing, even for the vendor, people are turned off by it. The vendors are telling us that it can take weeks for them to get a renewal quote, nevermind the actual renewal."
What other advice do I have?We're just a Symantec customer. We aren't a partner or reseller. We're currently using the latest version of the solution. Overall, we're pretty happy with the product. I would tell other organizations considering implementing it that it's a great tool. My concern again would be if Broadcom doesn't really invest in the product's success. Often companies will buy out their competitors and/or they'll buy out a product line thinking that they want to get into that field. Then they turn around and they dump the product line after a year or two and decide, "Well, I guess we don't want to go this…
Malware Hunter and Incident Responder at Computer Network Systems
Reliable solution that offers good performance and the latest protection
What is our primary use case?I am working as an endpoint security consultant. I'm not only working on Symantec. I also work with Kaspersky, McAfee, and all other vendors. I found Symantec is the best.
Pros and Cons
- "With Symantec, I always know this tool will be reliable and with the latest protection."
- "If Symantec wants to improve, they should have a single event for all their products."
What other advice do I have?In my personal experience, most people use Symantec. In my whole life, I couldn't find any problems with Symantec. In the ransomware protection, though, I found many issues. Many people were having infections but the virus sometimes was not detected. Even the Kaspersky software could not detect it, but if I install Symantec on any client I couldn't find the ransomware. The problem is Symantec is more expensive than other vendors. Kaspersky is in comparison very cheap. If you are working in an organization and you have 10,000 users, if you compare Symantec with the other vendors you will find…
Consultant at Godimo IT
Apr 7, 2019
Centralized management, support, and customization of polices are important for us
What is our primary use case?It's an antivirus solution. We need something centralized because we have hundreds of desktops and laptops. We have taken this solution to manage antivirus, security, etc., all together.
Pros and Cons
- "The fact that it has centralized management is the most valuable feature."
- "Any external device which is inserted into a computer should be subject to an auto-scan policy, to automatically scan it before accepting the device... They need to make it more user-friendly, so that when anyone puts in a USB stick it will be scanned, popping up any problems before it is used."
What other advice do I have?Understand your environment and what kind of security product you're looking for. Every environment has different requirements. Everybody has different kinds of file formats and data classifications. For Symantec is a good product for our environment. It helps us a lot. It provides seamless operation. It's not like we have to intervene every day. People are monitoring and, if they find a machine that is not working or not connected, they create a remote connection to see what the problem is and to fix it. We are using Symantec Enterprise, but you have new threats coming into the world market…
Country Director at socitech
Mar 11, 2019
Addresses almost all of the security challenges for endpoint messaging
What is our primary use case?We are a solution provider for end customers like Telco, banks, etc. We are also a Symantec partner and reseller. Not only do we use it but we also position this solution for customers. We have a telecom company that was using Kaspersky and they still had some vulnerabilities and attacks and we discussed with them and succeeded in presenting this solution. The one we proposed was Symantec Protection Suite, SPS Enterprise Edition, for about more 1,100 endpoints, exactly 1,100 users. We also implemented the mailer for Symantec Messaging Gateway for spam protection. Until now they used the… more »
Pros and Cons
- "When they started they found it very easy; not easy to implement but easy to use. We started with the headquarters here and later we also implemented it for all the subsidiaries in the region, in other countries. They have a centralized solution, so they can help other countries in management."
- "There are a few negative points. They should separate the feature for each separate solution for mobile devices. The second one is about the price, it's expensive. Finally, the third would be the complexity of implementation."
What other advice do I have?This solution is very effective. It can really address the challenges but you need to have training in order to be able to effectively implement it. If you don't fully know how to implement it you can't use the features very usefully. I would rate it a nine out of ten because of its ability to address challenges and because of the completeness of the solution.
See 31 more Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Reviews
Product CategoriesEndpoint Protection (EPP) for Business
Download our free Symantec End-User Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
- What is the biggest difference between EPP and EDR products?
- What are the threats associated with using ‘bogus’ cybersecurity tools?
- When evaluating Endpoint Security, what aspect do you think is the most important to look for?
- Which ransomware is the biggest threat in 2020?
- How was the 2020 Twitter Hack carried out? How could it have been prevented?
- What is the best for ransomware infection?
- Compromise Assessment vs Threat Hunting
- What security measures should businesses prioritize to support secure remote work?
- Why is endpoint security important?