Symantec Endpoint Encryption OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Symantec Endpoint Encryption is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Endpoint Encryption tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BitLocker: Symantec Endpoint Encryption vs Microsoft BitLocker

What is Symantec Endpoint Encryption?
Symantec Drive Encryption, powered by PGP technology provides organizations with strong full-disk and removable media encryption and the ability to integrate with Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Intuitive management enables enterprise scale deployments and features compliance-based, out-of-the-box reporting plus customizable reports. Management capabilities include support for native OS encryption (FileVault2) and Opal compliant self-encrypting drives.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption is also known as Symantec Drive Encryption.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Customers
Citrix Systems Inc., City of Lansing, Commercial & Industrial Property, France T_l_visions, Fujian Mobile Co. Ltd., Group Lotus plc, Hall Booth Smith & Slover, P.C. (HBSS), Portugal Telecom, PostFinance, Public Pension Agency
Symantec Endpoint Encryption Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Endpoint Encryption pricing:
  • "Depending on how many modules you will use (up to five) the licensing will be more expensive."
  • "They have two solutions for encryption including Symantec Endpoint Encryption and PGP Endpoint Encryption. With one PGP license, you can deploy the two solutions. The PGP license gives you two options."
  • "The pricing is fair but there is variability in our area that needs to be addressed."

Symantec Endpoint Encryption Reviews

OB
System Administraor at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Has good messaging features but the hard drive encryption needs to be improved

• "The most valuable features are the messaging features and shared folders."
  • "The program's disk encryption is not very friendly with Microsoft OS updates. We have a problem with updates failing unless we use a time-consuming work-around."

What is our primary use case?

We are using three of the product's modules. We are using encryption for messaging, we are using encryption for shared folders and we are using encryption for our hard drives.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped our organization by providing encryption options. For example, it is better to have encrypted messages because it is more secure. With the module for the shared folders, we can decide to use it as an addition to our active directory. So we can give users different rights within the active directory. The different set of rules we create in PGP is like an add-on to our active directory and again provides more secure access and restriction of access to some information.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the messaging features and shared folders.

What needs improvement?

The hard drive encryption needs to be improved. There is an issue, for example, where we cannot easily do Microsoft updates. The updates stop before the PGP reboot is complete. So when PGP encryption from the hard drive is active, we can't update Microsoft Windows. As a work-around, we have to decrypt the encrypted hard drive, which takes an hour every time, and then do the updates and then encrypt again. It is time-consuming and there must be a better solution.

One other improvement I would like to see is the ability to get support directly from the seller. There should be a better way to open tickets directly from the seller to eliminate delays and have a better way that we can contact them and get help when we need it. Technical support is a problem.

We have been using Symantec Endpoint Encryption since 2013, or about six years.

It is not a very stable product based on our experience with how we use it. It is mostly the disk encryption issues and how long it takes to do Microsoft updates. So we actually open some tickets at technical support and also with the integrator who initially installed the system for us. So currently we are dissatisfied and we are looking at BitLocker instead of the PGP only for drive encryption. As it is a Microsoft product, it makes sense that it will work better with Microsoft updates.

The scalability of the product is fine. With PGP servers we can link the Windows account, active directory account with PGP so when I do an installation on a computer, all I have to do is open the profile of the new employee's machine and it is linked to a server. It doesn't matter how many people I link in. We currently have 40 people and the product is installed on all our computers. Most people in our company are consultants who work on the premises of our clients. They are not located within our offices.

We have contacted technical support in the past with specific issues but we haven't received any answer yet. So my impression is naturally that the technical support is not great.

We are currently looking at Kaspersky Endpoint Encryption for Business Events. I am actually doing testing with a free license that we have access to for 30 days. We are doing this in order to look at the value of the solution, functionalities of the software and if it can apply to our architecture.

Right now we are using Kaspersky but on individual bases. It's not centralized, so each computer has its own Kaspersky security model, but what we want is to be able to manage all the computers in our infrastructure from a central point entry. So that's why we are looking at that specific software. Symantec is not solving all our issues sufficiently.

We are also considering looking into BitLocker to perhaps replace the disk encryption module in Symantec Endpoint Encryption because it is not easy to use.

I wasn't with the company when the product was installed, but I presume the initial setup was complex. The deployment of the product usually takes very little time. I installed the software for new computers and I encrypt the disks. That is all that has to be done so the installation of the product is very quick. It is the encryption of the disk that takes time.

The installation was done by a consultant in 2013.

I am not sure of the licensing fees. I presume there are packages based on what you use. We have three modules (for messaging, disk encryption and shared folders). I believe there are five modules, but we have three out of five. The price scales depending on the number of modules that we use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are considering this solution is to make sure that they do some testing if they are using disk encryption as we have had problems with updates. Our problem may depend on the version of Windows. So it may be different for other people. I didn't choose to use encryption before, so I learned a lot about the performance and the principle of encryption when it comes to messaging and share folders. So that part is good.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption as a six currently. The main problem for us is working with Microsoft updates within PGP. This should be possible because BitLocker is currently doing that which might be a reason we would switch. Updates for Microsoft OS are very complicated for us right now.

Marbella Ibarra
CEO at CT AMERICA
Reseller
Stable, secure, and works as per our expectations

• "In general terms, it is working properly and according to our expectations. The comfort of feeling secure is the most valuable. Some customers had certain fears about changing the product because no one wants to lose any kind of information or to have some problems or inconsistencies while migrating from one product to another."
  • "There are some issues with the single sign-on with the active directory. We had a few problems related to the synchronization between the active directory and the login features of the Symantec products because the users made many password changes during the day. The time for synchronization with the solutions can be improved. I would like to see mobile encryption. There should be a possibility to include all the mobiles of a company in the console. Many customers are asking about encryptions for tablets or cell phones, but we don't have any product that we are comfortable with to recommend to our customers."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are using this solution to protect their laptops, files, and email attachments. The typical requirements are to encrypt the whole hard disk, shared folders, or a network storage area. It is also used to deploy email encryption for some outgoing emails.

We have been deploying all the versions that are available for our customers, and we are updating our knowledge year after year. We are deploying this solution on the cloud and on-premises depending on a customer's requirements. We have a few customers who are using on-premise implementations. A few customers have hybrid environments, and a few have decided to go straight to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

In general terms, it is working properly and according to our expectations. The comfort of feeling secure is the most valuable. Some customers had certain fears about changing the product because no one wants to lose any kind of information or to have some problems or inconsistencies while migrating from one product to another.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Encryption for around ten years.

Customers want to go for a solution that is easier to maintain from the infrastructure point of view as well as in terms of support. We don't have a lot of tickets for technical support for our technicians. So, it is a stable product.

We don't have any kind of problem with scalability. It has been really good for us. Our customers are small and medium businesses or SMB companies, and they didn't have any kind of problem. We're talking about 200 or 250 PCs or less. I don't know about its scalability for a large number of users.

When we open a ticket from the web page, it is really hard because they never answer.

When Symantec became Broadcom, we had some problems in getting technical support, especially because no one in Latin America had the possibility to give technical support. We had to call the United States support and receive technical support in English, which is harder for our technicians. Since then, we didn't have any need to create a ticket for technical support. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We have experience with this solution. Therefore, our technicians can deploy it easily. In the beginning, when implemented it for our initial customers, it was easier. They were PGP at that time. When PGP became Symantec, it was a little hard because of the integration of the products with the Symantec suites. With Broadcom, it has been easy for us. We could work with almost any kind of change that we have received or found with the rebranding of the product.

The deployment duration depends on the number of users that our customers have, but, typically, the server and the configuration of the policies take about one week. After that, we start to deploy it to all the clients, which takes three or four days. We need to wait for the hard disk encryption to be completed, which takes around four or six hours, depending on the information that the users have on the disk. It is usually fast.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to be aware of their requirements and about the complexity that they need to adopt. Sometimes people want to have all the information encrypted, but they are not clear about what encryption means. In the case of hard disk encryption, some users don't like to enter an additional password for encryption. They have to enter a password before Windows start, which many users don't like. Therefore, we have to bring some awareness to them and explain the necessity to have another point of control to open their hard disk. So, the main advice would be to be clear about what encryption means.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Symantec Endpoint Encryption. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PS
CTO at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Great protection, perfect for large scale deployments, and low maintenance

• "The solution is great for large-scale deployments."
  • "The solution does slow down the device a little bit, once it's installed."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

Symantec Endpoint is good. We have been using it for more than five years and haven't had any trouble with it. It protects us without any issues.

In India, I am based out of Bangalore and my corporate office is in Lucknow, and we never had any compromises on the security site. Our firewall is very strong and all the devices are protected by Symantec. It does a really great job.

The solution is great for large-scale deployments.

The solution is pretty low maintenance and you rarely need the assistance of technical support.

What needs improvement?

The solution does slow down the device a little bit, once it's installed.

The Windows 10 comes with Defender. It has its own security layer. It's supposed to protect desktops and laptops running Windows 10. Right now, our question is, what is the additional protection we get from using any other antivirus or other packages on these machines? Symantec isn't really making it clear how they add to or enhance the level of protection we'd get from them if we kept them with Defender already on Windows 10.

We've been using the solution for five years.

The stability is good in the sense that we've never been compromised. It just runs in the background and is scanning. However, when scans do happen, it can slow down the machine. That's typical, and it only does it a little bit.

The solution is deployed on a large scale as we operate 1,000 locations in India and it's at all of them. You can't just protect the branch office, you need to protect every device in every office.

I've never needed to contact technical support.

The corporate office is in Lucknow, and I'm the technical director of a corporate group. I operate from Bangalore. I don't actually deal with the vendors or with the technical support team. My corporate team in Lucknow may be talking to some technical person at Symantec, however, I'm not aware of that. My responsibility is to advise someone on the technology side, so I heavily depend upon the reports and all that's available in public domain.

I'm not sure what was evaluated beforehand. However, we are evaluating other options currently.

In September, our Symantec license is expiring, so we are looking at if there's anything else in Symantec's product library that we should try or if there are any better options than we should consider. Currently, I'm trying to download some reports to compare Symantec with other solutions as part of some initial research.

We've looked at a few different solutions. We hear that end devices like laptops or desktops are a bit slow when you have Norton installed. AVG looks to have fewer resources although it looks to be a little bit quicker than Norton and doesn't bring your system speed down. Windows 10 also already comes with Defender, so protection would be built right in.

What other advice do I have?

We only use the solution on our own endpoints for our own company and don't necessarily deploy it for clients.

There are a lot of companies in India who are promoting these types of products. They may have quite a good idea about the packages and so on, what you can do, what you can't do and so on. Everyone seems well educated on it. It is not a very complicated solution. It's basically solid.

You don't need that much technical support. Whether it's Symantec or TrendMicro or AVG or any other package it's all pretty self-sustaining. You'll simply notice it when you have a compromise, at which point you get alerted and then you look at what went wrong. Until you are compromised, you're happy with the product.

I approve of Symantec Endpoint. I've been happy with the solution for the last four or five years. There have been no issues and we have not been compromised until now. I'd definitely recommend Symantec.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It does tend to slow down a machine when it does the scan. However, I've noticed the same slow down on competition like Norton or AVG and it doesn't slow anything down near as much as Norton.

HM
Information Security Senior Expert (Founding member, African Cybersecurity Center) at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good performance for encryption that keeps your data secure and confidential

• "We can extend it to all of the critical endpoints and the servers, and we can ensure the confidentiality of the data."
  • "If for example, a user forgets the endpoint key, they cannot access their data. We need a support team that is a single point of contact for the IT entity to be trained and to have documentation for troubleshooting and managing the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to be compliant with CSP.

After the cyberattacks, that impacted the Swift platform of the Bangladesh Bank, the Central Bank, and another bank in Africa. They created a custom security program that contains twenty-seven controls. One of those controls is to encrypt the infrastructure in the Swift platform.

For the Swift operation, we acquired this solution for the servers and the Endpoints.

This is a pilot project, deployed to be tested. After all of the testing is complete, we can cover the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is encryption.

The reporting is very important for us.

It's a well-known solution and the PGP Solution is a good solution with good performance.

Symantec has SONAR for the antivirus and ransomware behavioral analysis in the endpoints.

What needs improvement?

We need to develop a process for this solution. We can't deploy the solution without being assisted by or followed by a process. Also, we need to define the process for administrative responsibilities, and the help desk to be notified for every issue with the solution by the users.

We would like the editors or solution providers to present us with a roadmap of the new features and their functionalities. If we were to have this roadmap, we could define our roadmap to integrate the new features.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

It's efficient and we discovered that we can extend the perimeters to cover the entire infrastructure.

We have ten people, but we need three more for the succession plan, and a back up for someone who is not available so that there is continuity when managing the solution.

We haven't had to contact technical support. The solution is very good for us and it responds to our needs.

I used Check Point while I was in Citibank, which was in 2009 and 2010.

The initial setup is not complex, it's easy.

The deployment is easy. You enroll the users and the server, then go to the user and deploy it, reboot the system, then clarify that it is running. From there, you will have an operator to access it.

When the system is rebooted you will be asked for an encryption key. Everyone in the organization has to enter an encryption key.

We have five operators for this platform with four servers.

It is an obligation to deploy it. The scope of compliance, with the goal being to cover all of the infrastructures.

Currently, we outsource the managing of our infrastructure to another company, and we have a dedicated team for our bank. We have the help desk, all of the infrastructure, the networking, the security, and the systems.

We had an integrator to assist us with the implementation and deployment.

Data protect, a Moroccan company that was created in 2009, are also data service providers in all of Africa.

The created subsidiaries in France, Asia, and other countries. They're a good team that is very helpful and efficient.

The price is very good.

They have two solutions for encryption including Symantec Endpoint Encryption and PGP Endpoint Encryption. With one PGP license, you can deploy the two solutions. The PGP license gives you two options.

What other advice do I have?

Checkpoint has better support. With Symantec, we have subsidiaries involved.

The performance is good and it's efficient.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

KW
Project Engineer (Engineer II) at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, but has a complex setup and it needs to offer seamless switching

• "The solution is pretty stable."
  • "The initial setup is a bit complex."

What is most valuable?

I don't manage the solution. I don't manage the console and everything. However, password recovery is the best, the easiest part.

The solution is pretty stable.

What needs improvement?

If it could offer seamless upgrades to seamlessly do the switching that would be great. That's the pain point here now. The setup time takes quite a while sometimes. The encryption, once you install a new computer, takes a few hours to encrypt. From our testing, it feels like nothing is being restored, however, it's actually running in the background.

We'd like to switch from Symantec due to the fact that the switching part is a pain. If we want to switch our Windows it will be a pain to do that. We have thousands of machines. It would be a hassle if you have to switch every time to do that.

The initial setup is a bit complex.

I've worked with the solution for quite some time already. I was using it before I transferred to this current team. I'm not sure for how long it has been at this point. I've used it for some time already.

The stability seems to be okay. It works as it was designed to. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I can't speak to the scalability. We have about 2,000 people on the solution currently, however, I cannot speak to the scaling process or if we have ever attempted to scale it. We likely won't increase usage.

In terms of technical support, we don't really engage with them. There are not many issues with it. It's just the Windows update that gives us issues. That's the only issue, the main issue. Other than that, there hasn't been a reason to engage with them directly and therefore I can't speak to their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability.

The Symantec setup is a bit complex. It takes time. It is simple, but it takes time. It also takes a bit longer when creating the profiles at first.

It is my understanding that we handled everything in-house. I do not recall using an integrator or consultant.

We pay on a yearly basis. The cost isn't much, however, if we switch to BitLocker there may be some cost savings there as well.

We are currently considering a switch to Bitlocker due to the issues we are facing with updates. It could potentially save us money as well. BitLocker has different types of cost charging depending on which model you choose. We are in the process of evaluation right now.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It's not the latest one. I understand the latest one will be able to go page Windows - which we also partnered with. The problem is not all our machines are on the latest version. We are looking to see if we switch to the latest one. In a few years, Microsoft will likely change to a new version again. Then we will be having the same problem again.

It's best to align with Microsoft so that we do not have to do so many changes. Not catching up with Windows is also a risk currently due to the Microsoft Edge issue now. Without the latest Windows version, we cannot use the latest Edge version.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten overall. It works okay, however, the switching part and initial setup make it an undesirable option for us.

Mohamed-Hashem
Project Manager at Target IS
Versatile, all-in-one, centralized enterprise solution that understands and has a good sense of enterprise requirements

• "This product is a solid, all-in-one solution for enterprise data management."
  • "The instability of the company and lack of presence in the Middle East is affecting product use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is implementing the solution for our clients. We are an official partner for Symantec and implement it for clients but we are also using that same solution. Most of the clients are on-premises installations although we do have some clients using cloud and hybrid-cloud deployments.

So between our clients and their usage, we have experience with representatives who are using all the server deployment types. But the vast majority still stay with the on-premises deployment. This is especially true for banking customers who have stricter requirements for regulatory compliance.

What is most valuable?

From the commercial side when I'm talking with our customers about Symantec, I talk about how it is a true enterprise-wide solution. Symantec Endpoint Encryption is an all-in-one solution that is completely expandable. With this product, Symantec addresses enterprise concepts. They developed an enterprise solution, they understand and have a good sense of enterprise requirements, they help you manage a huge number of users, they made solutions for the user to sync their enterprise databases and assign data policies, and they have features for blocking access. All the solutions for this Symantec product are integrated into one place. All of these features make it easier to help convince the customer about the quality and utility of this Symantec solution.

What needs improvement?

From the technical side, I am fine with the features as they are, I am not sure where they might have the need for improvement, and I don't have a solid opinion about it. For the Symantec company and products, they need to engage in more marketing activities in the Middle East because they are not focusing on our needs.

They need some stability in their own business structure because they have been buying a lot of companies that go out of the market. There are so many changes that Symantec makes that the ordering systems become affected. Sometimes it has been nightmarish to just finish transactions on Symantec systems because of all the product fluctuation. They need to review the channel procedures, their internal procedures from the distributor and have some activities with their consumers to be more aware of the market.

I think in general that they need to be more conscious of the potential in the Middle East and have a better presence, but I don't know what else they can provide as far as functionality. From my standpoint, all that I need, I found in their solution. The product itself is very good but they have organizational issues.

I've been working with Symantec Endpoint Encryption for longer than 10 years.

There is no problem with product stability. The company stability is another issue. The parent company needs better organization. It does have some effect on the end-user, but that is not the stability of the product itself.

I personally think that the pricing is fair. On the other hand, and I think it is because the company is not stable from the division perspective that there are some issues in the price list and with the distributor in Egypt. They have some workarounds for this to mitigate the issue. But in the past, the company and the pricing were more stable than nowadays.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption as an eight out of ten. There is room for improvement and I think they need to make more effort here, but I would still totally recommend Symantec products and I'm a fan of Endpoint Encryption as a mature solution.

AS
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Can be managed from a central point and is stable

• "I like the management aspect of this solution. You don't want to have end-users tweak or set it themselves, so the fact that you could do it from a central point helped us a lot."
  • "What I didn't find helpful in the version we used is the fact that all devices had to be on the same network for us to push through the encryption."

What is most valuable?

I like the management aspect of this solution. You don't want to have end-users tweak or set it themselves, so the fact that you could do it from a central point helped us a lot.

We really liked the vanilla flavor set up. It is stable as well.

What needs improvement?

What I didn't find helpful in the version we used is the fact that all devices had to be on the same network for us to push through the encryption. With lockdowns and people working from home nowadays because of the COVID-19 pandemic, there's no way to deploy a solution in that manner.

It should be easier to classify documents that should be encrypted, that is, to create policies for documents that should be encrypted. Maybe, it should be according to departments as well.

Customization should be a bit more granular because nowadays, things are very dynamic. Environments are very fluid. So, the policies should reflect that.

In terms of the policies you can apply, there should be a bit more granularity to it, and it should be something that you can turn on and turn off as needed.

I had used Symantec Endpoint Encryption for three months. We used the version before the last version.

It is a stable solution.

For me, the initial setup was intuitive, but then again, I'd had experience with deploying software for 10 years prior to that point.

Back then, deploying software was not like what it is today; it was much harder. You had to do a lot more customization. However, I have a lot experience, so I wouldn't have been phased by any issue I may have encountered.

What other advice do I have?

I'm in Nigeria, and we also serve Ghana, Sierra Leone, Kenya, and a bit of South Africa. Whenever you're deploying security solutions such as Symantec Endpoint Encryption, there has to be a lot more focus on sensitizing the people who are going to be affected.

We train the IT staff on how to manage it, but we don't train the end-users on what it involves and the advantages of the solution. We also don't inform them of the changes they may have to make in terms of their behavior, how they access data, how they use the data, etc. We need to let them know that it doesn't mean that they are completely secure. The biggest issue about security is human error. So, I think sensitizing the users should also go hand in hand with deployment.

I would rate Symantec Endpoint Encryption at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Mayur Jadhav
Senior Security Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Effective cloud ransomware and malware protection

• "Their cloud features such as Cloud Endpoint security, ransomware modules, malware, and other modules are very effective."
  • "I think that they should improve the on-premises version to include the manageability and simplicity that is available on the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for endpoint Security for the Government of the Ministries that we are employed in.

What is most valuable?

Their cloud features such as Cloud Endpoint security, ransomware modules, malware, and other modules are very effective.

What needs improvement?

The main concentration has been on upgrading the cloud version with new features and cloud security.

They are mostly providing the cloud version and stopping with the on-premises version. I think that they should improve the on-premises version to include the manageability and simplicity that is available on the cloud. This should all be included in the on-premises version.

Currently, the on-premises version is tricky and difficult.

They should be looking at the on-premises deployment and simplifying it.

In the next release, I would like to see the uninstall feature be more advanced.

I have been using this solution for more than two years.

This is a stable solution. It is more stable than most solutions.

Even with other solutions, the PC slows down. All those things are there, but it needs to be worked out on a combination. The Endpoint security system always slows down the PC. For the most part, it has been good.

I can't comment on the scalability because I have not deployed on more than one thousand endpoints per customer.

We have five to six customers with each having six to seven hundred endpoints. Our customers' IT supporters have outsourced us.

The technical support is good. When you submit a tag, the support you receive is very good.

Previously were using Trend Micro Endpoint. We chose Symantec Endpoint because it is better.

Compared to cloud the initial setup is complex.

The cloud version is easy to set up. It's one gateway and you connect it and it's pretty much a configured service on the cloud.

Generally, the deployment takes a month for seven hundred endpoints per customer. This includes installing endpoints for customers.

To frame the policy and set up on-premises, it's approximately a week.

The cloud implementation is straightforward. We were able to implement it ourselves, but for the on-premises version, we needed support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend cloud implementation, rather than on-premises if it is possible.

The on-premises deployment model will lead you to have errors.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Endpoint Encryption
Download our free Symantec Endpoint Encryption Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.