Symantec Siteminder Overview

Symantec Siteminder is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Web Access Management tools. It is most often compared to Okta Workforce Identity: Symantec Siteminder vs Okta Workforce Identity

What is Symantec Siteminder?

Symantec® SiteMinder is designed to secure the modern enterprise through a unified access management platform that applies the appropriate authentication mechanism to positively identify users; provides single sign-on and identity federation for seamless access to any application; enforces granular security policies to stop unauthorized access to sensitive resources; and monitors and manages the entire user session to prevent session hijacking. Finally, Symantec SiteMinder is battle-tested and has been deployed in the largest IT environments in the world.

Symantec Siteminder is also known as Single Sign-On, SiteMinder, CA SSO, Layer7 SiteMinder.

Symantec Siteminder Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Siteminder Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Symantec Siteminder Customers

British Telecom, CoreBlox, DBS, HMS, Itera ASA and Simeo

Symantec Siteminder Video

Symantec Siteminder Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

umairakhlaque78
Sr. Manager at Duroob
Oct 15, 2018
The flexibility helped us meet the requirements of our customer

What is our primary use case?

Customer was looking for initially an automated self user registration through a secure channel. Apparently it looks like a very easy going requirements but if you look in the detail they want to authenticate before registration process. A user came to create an Identity and customer wants to authenticate and securly takes the same data. Another issue was localization and reporting

• "The most valuable feature is that it meets the requirements of the customer. You have a lot of features in the product. Every product has them, but the question is, are these products going to meet the requirement of the customer?"
  • "CA has reporting at the moment. With the reporting, every particular segmented product has a reporting engine. I would like to see centralized reporting for all of them together."

What other advice do I have?

When you are looking for a security solution, products are there in the market, but you really don't want to go for a product that looks very beautiful from the front but has very bad stuff in the back end. One good thing is that CA has, I believe, that is has an edge. It allows me do a lot of what the customer is looking for, beyond the customer; beyond the product boundaries. They are certain things that we would not be able to do if this CA solution didn’t have this flexibility, and it's highly secure. It is a highly reliable solution to work with. We implemented the solution almost a year…
Amlan Sahoo
Systems-Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jun 3, 2018
You can quickly deploy the entire product with a basic config. However, the GUIs are not very clear.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for client demo on authentication/authorization, federation, and ease of use.

• "I liked the debugging part. There are only two files (trace file and log file) that you need to look into while performing debugging, and the logs give you the exact info on where and what needs to be fixed."
  • "You can quickly deploy the entire product with a basic config within couple of hours."
  • "The GUIs are not very clear, especially when integrating with other products from CA."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to get your doubts clear on any product features, integration with other CA products, and other security products. I recently came across Okta, which also has cool features. Before implementing, ask a CA manager to provide you a list of use cases, which can help you in building/offering what you have in mind.
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Auth0 and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Syed Aamer
IT Security Consultant at NIC KSA
Jan 14, 2018
The Federation feature is customizable and easily integrated with a customer application

What is our primary use case?

The client has a biometric identification module. We integrated that with the CA Single Sign On for new user registration, and it works perfectly fine for us.

• "It has considerably reduced the amount of time that new users would take to join into the organization. Previously, it was a lengthy, manual process because it's a very secure environment, where they need to verify the user before they can actually grant him a user-ID and password. Integrating with the built-in custom application, and exposing CA Single Sign On to the internet, we were able to get the employees onboard. The time that we gained was: previously it would generally take from four to eight weeks for each employee, we brought it to one to two days."
  • "The most valuable feature is the Federation part of Single Sign On, which is customizable and is easily integrated with any customer application or any third party application."
  • "The Federation part of CA Single Sign On, it's a bit complex to implement because it involves the SSL certificates, exchange of certificates, and lot of technical details. The documentation misses some important parts of this, so that's the reason it took some time for us to go live."

What other advice do I have?

When we're looking to select a vendor for a product, what's most important for a client like ours is the security; the product should be really secure. The next most important is the stability. I rate it an eight out of 10 because, once we implemented it and the Federation part was working fine, we haven't faced any problems, except for that one instance where the policy was crashing. I would definitely suggest going for CA Single Sign On.
it_user778593
Manager with 10,001+ employees
Jan 7, 2018
Federation enables us to integrate with multiple third-party vendors

What is our primary use case?

It is our authentication system for access to online and mobile banking. Its performance has been good. It works well for us.

• "Federation is valuable, for sure, because we have a lot of third-party vendors that we need to integrate with, and this is a turnkey solution in some ways."
  • "The Directory is secure. It's our user store, and it's important to keep our members safe. The product does well with that."
  • "I think they need to integrate some of the newer types of authentication into the product. I'm not seeing the innovation when it comes to biometrics in the product."
  • "They need to make configurations easier, and not have the engineer having to guess what will happen when he changes a particular setting."
  • "The initial setup was complex, painful. But that is to be expected of any new setup. When you're a big bank like us, any kind of migration to a new product is hard. I expect it to be painful, and it was painful. But it's not something that you can avoid."

What other advice do I have?

One thing that recently surprised me about CA is how big it is. The product I'm talking about in that context is not a CA product, it's an acquisition that CA made a few years back. I was used to working with the other company. Once we knew that CA bought it, I was surprised to see how big CA is. Just the product suite itself is pretty large. So just that was surprising. As for the most important criteria when selecting a vendor, technical support is clearly one of them. Vendors tend to sell us something and then walk away, and we're left holding the bag. So tech support is clearly important…
it_user778935
Security Architect at Raymond James Financial, Inc.
Jan 3, 2018
Really helps with our numerous legacy apps, and is easy to administer

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for authentication in Single Sign-On, that's the biggest that we have. But we use it for our internal employees. It has performed well. We had some hiccups, but that's all. We had some challenges through modernizing everything over the last two years. Now we are pretty good. We don't see any production challenges. I don't think we have had an incident for a year now.

• "If you look at our organization, and really all financial institutions, we have a lot of legacy apps. So it really helps to get Single Sign-On."
  • "Ease of use is very good, for administrating it. It's very well known."
  • "I would like to see a move towards the newer technologies, which is what we are doing right now. I think that's in the roadmap that's coming, in the 12.8 and 14 releases, but we would like to have it sooner than later."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We definitely look at our engagement. We look at the support. That's always the critical factor. Otherwise, I would say most of the products, if you go by the 80/20 principle, they will technically fare well. I would say invest a lot of time in designing it. Don't just run in without reading the guides and start deploying.
it_user778932
Technology Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 3, 2018
We have 40 million users who login everyday, so it is very scalable

What is our primary use case?

Primary case is to authenticate users and use banking online. It is performing well.

• "It has the ability to authenticate and authorize users. It is the main feature for our security."
  • "It is very scalable. We have a very large customer base: 75 million customers."
  • "The main thing is we do not have the traceability and good monitoring that CA can provide us to capture problems when they occur."
  • "All the problems that we reported actually have never been resolved. We could not capture enough information for CA to be able to debug the problem."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would recommend the newer version without any customization. That is where we have had a problem because we did our own customization of this product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: It is the supportability right. J.P. Morgan costs more, but we want stability, resiliency, and we want the product to work. However, it has to be scalable and supportable. That is the main thing for any product which we pick.
it_user778860
Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 2, 2018

What is our primary use case?

We use single sign-on to provide a single login page for all of our client apps across the organization and it performs wonderfully. We almost never have outages nor see slowdowns, not from our stuff anyway.

• "We almost never have outages nor see slowdowns."
  • "All of our applications get a point, click, and you are in, while we increase security at the same time."
  • "I would prefer to see their SAML integration be a more streamlined and easier interface."

What other advice do I have?

Because I am new to this area, the thing that surprised me about CA is how quick they are to respond to changing needs. If we tell them we need something or do not know how to do something, they make it happen for us. It seems crazy for such a large organization to make that kind of move. The tool is easy to integrate with old, archaic, existing infrastructures that may not have been built with security in mind in the first place. With very little modification, we can usually secure a platform that never really had it before. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: responsiveness…
it_user778521
Site Minder Admin at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 14, 2017
We're able to provide users with efficient, secure login, but there are compatibility issues

What is our primary use case?

What we're doing with Single Sign-On, we're providing security to different applications, like protecting the URLs. The other thing is, we're using SAML. With SAML we are connecting to the external vendor, external partner, and providing the customer a single sign-on to at the second domain.

• "SAML is the best thing we're using right now because there is no need for creating an external account."
  • "We are finding some compatibility issues. We're still working with CA on them."
it_user778665
Design Engineer 5 at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 7, 2017
It is stable, but certain features which are out in the market are not available to make it more robust

What is our primary use case?

It is basically for authenticating the users, whether it be privileged users or employees. Thus, we use that single sign-on (SSO) as an authentication mechanism.

• "Right now, federation that comes out-of-the-box with single sign-on is the most valuable feature that we have, and also scalability."
  • "Better documentation. I went through some sessions on single sign-on for version 12.7."

What other advice do I have?

I have been working with Site Minder for the past 10 years, maybe more. However, I know the product, therefore I am able to manage it. The people in my team, they are not really happy with it, mostly from the support perspective.
it_user778881
Director at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 5, 2017
Provides secure PC login, and allays concerns of unwanted access to data if a device is lost

What is our primary use case?

Validation of people's logins when they log in to their PCs. Everybody, when you turn on your PC, you go SiteMinder to login. Security. It has performed very well, it does what we need it to do, it's reliable, and it doesn't impose any overhead on the user or on the platform.
it_user778740
Systems Engineer at navyfederal
Nov 30, 2017
The authentication and authorization empower our contact center to handle customer calls

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it to log on to our site. It has performed very well, so far.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, what is important for our company in that relationship is, obviously, the history that we have that we have with the different companies, and meeting the requirements. I rate it a nine out of 10. Sometimes it's just a matter of figuring out the quirks and how it works. But once it works, it works really well. I would definitely recommend it. It's a product that does what it does very well. Once it works, it just works and you don't have to mess with it.
Software4a0d
Software Engineering Consultant at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Nov 30, 2017
Enables us to federate identity for remote web applications easily

What is our primary use case?

We use Single Sign On to provide, of course, single sign-on to a variety of web applications. We use it to federate identity for remote web applications as well. It's performed well. We're on an older version, so there's the occasional stability issue, but overall, that's what you're going to see in any enterprise environment.

• "As our identity model continues to mature, probably the Federation is most valueable."
  • "I'd like to see a rework of the user directory configuration."

What other advice do I have?

When we are looking for a new vendor, what's important to us is the relationship between us as a customer and the vendor. That has to be strong. They need to be available and supportive of our vision. Also, we're looking for somebody who also can help us define that vision in places where we might not have it all the way fleshed out. You could go through the list of things that you're looking for in a vendor, and build out a wish list, but, realistically, somebody that supports us when we need it, helps us to figure out where we're going when we don't quite know, and, provides technological…
it_user778626
Senior Software Analyst at NRG Energy
Nov 30, 2017
Handles authentication and authorization for our multiple websites

What is our primary use case?

We use it for authentication and authorization for our website. We have multiple external and internal websites that we host, so we are using SSO for authenticating and authorizing for all those websites. It has performed quite well. We have been using it more than 10 years now.

• "Authentication & Authorization are important because all the sites need authentication for security purposes. That has been handled pretty well all these years with SSO."
  • "We would like to the OAuth be more stable, more issues being fixed rather than not."

What other advice do I have?

I would still not rate it a 10 out of 10 because, like I said, we had some issues with the OAuth here and there. Once those are done right, I think it would be a nine out of 10. Regarding advice to a colleague who is researching this or a similar solution, it depends on what they are trying to accomplish. Are they going legacy, where you authenticate, versus the newer federation? But I would recommend SSO as a solution.
it_user354801
Infrastructure Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 2, 2017
It is a reliable, complete product

What is most valuable?

It is reliable.

What needs improvement?

I do not think there is anything to improve. It is a pretty complete product.

We are using it as we have implemented it. I have not seen anything that is missing.

No issues encountered.

The tech support has not been very good for us so we don't use them anymore. We have had some issues. Nobody is perfect. It was a long time ago, but we stopped using them because of it. It was very long time ago. It might be better now, but it used to not be so good. Now, we solve problems…
it_user440760
Manager, Operations at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 21, 2017
The most valuable features are simplified federation and Integrated Windows Authentication.

• "IWA is an out-of-the-box feature. The SAML-based federation is standard for all tools. However, CA Single Sign-On has made the federation configuration way too simple and handy to set up and use."
  • "If the reporting feature can be integrated into SSO itself that will be an icing on the cake."

What other advice do I have?

The major focus should be on planning, design, scope, and scalability. The rest is a piece of cake.
it_user392583
Sr Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Aug 24, 2017
Stability is the most important aspect for us. We use SSO for all of our applications and it's stable.

• "It provides the breadth and the width to provide solutions for the different kinds of technologies which we have."
  • "As we are moving in to the mobility space, this is where we really see SiteMinder and their other product really come together to provide a solution base to a different area where the IoT is coming, the different business communications are happening. All of those things require authentication and we really want to see this product grow into that role."

What other advice do I have?

The product is 8-9/10. It's very high because of their availability and supportability on different web servers is very, very, highly ranked. My advice and best practices is always engage with CA. Make sure that you're working and getting their input and to also see what their best solution is. They provide a very good partnership. They give you a suggestion and recommendation. You'll her from them - What is the right thing? What is the right solution? If you engage and build a good relationship you always have a good solution. The advice is that whatever you are thinking of the product make…
it_user572931
Service Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Feb 12, 2017
It is flexible, integrates with applications and solutions, and is configurable.

What other advice do I have?

Generally, it's been a great product for us to use. It's been stable. It's been a good product.
it_user572877
Consulting Systems Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Jan 30, 2017
Being able to debug problems is a valuable feature. ​I would like a more modern, cloud-based interface with dynamic real-time information.

What other advice do I have?

Whatever you're considering, this is a good solution. It's got all the plug-ins and the various components – app servers, web servers – and you can customize it quite a bit. In its space, most of the other competitors have the same sort of challenges. It's probably a little bit easier out of the box to get it to work. For what it is, it does things reasonably well, once you get it working. It definitely has maturity, but for all the number of releases that it's been through, I kind of expect that over those years, it just gets better and better. Like, with Microsoft, after three times…
it_user558633
Design Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 5, 2017
We use this tool for multiple applications. It supports Grid Authentication.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I would recommend.
it_user558246
Senior Technical Lead at Exelon
Jan 4, 2017
You log in once and you can access all of the applications that have been integrated with it.

What is most valuable?

The security and single sign-on (SSO) features are the most valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It's one login. You log in once and you can access all of the applications that have been integrated into SSO. That's the main advantage that we have seen in the organization.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more usability; more customer usability.

Stability is good. The security by CA is good. It's a great company. In England, CA is very good.

Scalability is also good.

We always use technical support when using these solutions. It's okay, with response time, for example. If you…
it_user558639
Senior Member Technical Staff at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Jan 4, 2017
It enables us to integrate multiple applications. The user experience adds value to the company.

What other advice do I have?

We have two business units: wireless and wireline. Wireline was already using Single Sign-On, so that's why we decided to stay with the same product on the wireless side. CA SSO is a good product with a lot of features. CA is continuously evolving that product by adding new features. It will definitely help any company achieve their single sign on goal. When we select a vendor, our most important criteria are the number of features they provide, how those features fit into our ecosystem, and the amount of time users spend to do what they want to do.
it_user558351
VP Web Authentication Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 3, 2017
Securely logging in to our company's intranet does not require a password. It is too much of a beast for small to mid-sized companies.

What other advice do I have?

If someone came to me for advice, I would ask them specific questions about exactly what they need to secure on the internet, and how much of it they need because I think that one drawback to this product is that it's too big. It's too much of a beast. A lot of times, small to mid-sized companies really just need smaller bits and pieces that are available from other vendors, rather than tackling this whole beast. One thing that other vendors might do better is doing more with less with less cumbersome installation. The most important criteria when choosing a vendor is the product's stability…
it_user558159
Senior Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Dec 30, 2016
Multiple users with multiple applications can be authenticated in a single location. It's a stable, durable product.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know who your support staff is, who your vendor representatives are for your account and really get to know them. Give them the requirements that you need and make sure that they're following through. Build good rapport with them. That way they can help you determine what you need to do and feel free in giving different types of suggestions. When selecting a vendor, we look for: * responsiveness * technical support of the product * accessibility of the technical support teams * product knowledge * ability to train their customers on their product
it_user558435
Security Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 28, 2016
It presents a standard pattern for people to secure their applications.

What other advice do I have?

You definitely need to consider CA SSO but you need to be mindful of the new ways of developing applications, and possibly look at the CA API Gateway product or some hybrid solution as well. You definitely need to consider CA SSO. It is quite solid. It's never really gone down. It's a well-understood and reliable piece of our enterprise. The only reason I didn't rate it higher is that it's becoming a little less appropriate for the more modern styles of web application development, which is why I am curious about CA API Gateway and leveraging that. I think that represents all the features that…
it_user558078
Information Security Consultant at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 18, 2016
Any engineer can implement it using the documentation. The Federation feature needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely a good product and you won't go wrong if you choose this product. It's proven and is working fine. We can scale it. The support is also good. It's very stable and I don't think there is any other product which provides this kind of functionality. The important criteria whilst choosing a vendor were scalability and the enterprise-level features that are compatible to all different versions of app servers and web servers.
it_user558408
Senior Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 15, 2016
Secure and standardized web access management provide a positive user experience. A lot of configuration is required.

What other advice do I have?

You need to know exactly what you need to do. So you need to know your use cases, your needs. Just go ahead, contact CA, and see what comes out of it. It's a great product, so just use it. Try it out.
it_user558552
Security Architect And Managing Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 7, 2016
Out-of-the-box authentication for a majority of apps. REST APIs are not easy to deploy, and more mature ideas for the Cloud are needed.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on what requirement is the most important to them. Is the Cloud the most important thing to them; or is in-house important to them? The main consideration is what issue are they trying to address? If they're trying to address the user experience, everything holistically: CA, Oracle, RSA, they're all, again – it all depends on the relationship and what CA provides.
it_user558618
Senior Specialist IT Architect at Pramerica
Dec 6, 2016
It integrates with third-party components and platforms. We use it for SSO across internet-facing applications.

What other advice do I have?

It is a decent solution. CA is focusing on improving the stability of this product and their future roadmap looks quite promising as well. Companies should invest in this product and should think of it as a competitor. When selecting a vendor, we focus more on the technology standpoint; how flexible the product is; how much customization we can do; the support availability.
it_user558558
SiteMinder Architect at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 6, 2016
It protects the company from vulnerabilities and has improved our user experience. The quality of support and documentation provided are my primary concerns.

What other advice do I have?

Any advice I would give about this product would be an honest reflection of my experience with this product. From the technical perspective, as much as we can do, it has been pretty good. Don’t get me wrong, our account manager is great; there is no question about that. However, the quality of support and documentation are my primary concerns. Some of the most important factors while selecting a vendor are the vendor’s technical experience, our approachability to them, their response back, licensing costs and so on.
it_user558498
Assistant Director of Application Administration with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 6, 2016
Once we have our authentication and authorization policies set, it allows us to duplicate them across all our applications instead of trying to develop each application individually.

What other advice do I have?

During implementation, make sure to verify the tuning guide. We had a transition with our implementation person, who was changed in the middle of the process. In our case, factors such as maintenance and performance tuning were skipped over. We didn't really get to those aspects until we were live-in production and then needed to work out some of these issues. Thus, don't underestimate such a situation because when you experience such issues your customers are also going through them and then at that point it is public. Mostly, our experience with this product has been good. There are areas…
it_user558573
Technical Lead at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 2, 2016
For authentication purposes, we can keep security out of our applications. More UI templates would be nice.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to use this tool as it is robust and mostly it solves all the problems that arise in our industry. We did consider other vendors. However, after we saw the demo for this product, we decided to purchase this product. The factors we looked into before purchasing this product are the benefits of this product, how CA functions with other tools, costs, the level of support provided, upgrades and so on.
it_user558531
Security Compliance Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 1, 2016
You can use it to protect web services and web applications.
it_user558654
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Dec 1, 2016
When using this product, different applications are not trying to build their own security solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It is very important to educate yourself in regards to the capabilities of this product by interacting with CA or attending conferences like CA World as they give you an insight about all that the product has to offer. Single Sign-On is a mature product and hence I would be confident in recommending it to our clients.
it_user558636
Director of Project Management at a local government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 1, 2016
It enables integrated access to our separate HR and time reporting systems using a single profile.

What other advice do I have?

From our experience, start with a focus group first. Understand what the problem is, and what the needs are. Get those initial users in, and then focus on your long-term objective. If you have a very large set of people, you need to get into the system. Don't try to get them all at once. start small. Go to that business case, get the proof of concept. Take that pattern and evolve it.
it_user558561
IT Engineer at Qualcomm
Dec 1, 2016
Takes the burden off the developer and easy to use. Very complex installation process.

What other advice do I have?

I think the relationship with the vendor is good, that they come to us for feedback. They ask us what we want to see in the product. I think is becoming better now than it has in the past with the community. I actually submitted a community idea, and within a year that was actually put into the product, so I think it's getting better in that regard. I would say first try to figure out what your business requirements are before you come up with a solution, and then look at what the solution is. In a lot of cases, CA Single Sign-On could meet those business requirements.
it_user372576
Sr. Systems Engineer Principle at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 17, 2016
We've found it to be a reliable and scalable SSO solution.

What other advice do I have?

While I think the vendor, it would have to be a large enterprise vendor who can support and offer the scalability that we hope to have in growth of a product. Our plan is to grow that into our consumer space, which will really expand the need for the scalability. I think those are the primary factors along with the support that you need in order to support a product like that. I would say it's got to be an 8/10 because there's always room for improvement but I think it's a good product and I think an 8 would be a good score. Recommendations: I would have them look at the same thing for…
it_user383802
Security Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Mar 10, 2016
Allows a user the ability to use the same credentials for different secured parts of a website.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to set up several environments, including a sandbox where you can test upgrades and products without impacting users. Then have a dev environment for some users to test.
it_user382632
Cyber Systems Engineer with 10,001+ employees
Mar 10, 2016
The most valuable feature for us is the user experience in being able to use one set of credentials to access multiple applications.

What other advice do I have?

SSO is a very robust application. It's very easy to administrate and use. Users don't even know you're using SiteMinder or SSO. They just think they're on a website. I can tell by the URL that a company is using it, and I like that. It makes me want to use that company more often.
it_user359505
Executive Director, CTO Security - Identity Management Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 20, 2016
We use CA SSO in conjunction with their other authentication solutions. The mainstream use that we have for the products is web single sign-on.

What other advice do I have?

At this point I'd rate it about 8/10. One of the biggest things is availability. Availability, scalability, you really have to make sure you understand the scale of the deployment and what your requirements are around availability. Certainly in our company it has to be the highest scale, highest availability. Don’t underestimate the amount of testing you have to do, the amount of stress testing, load testing, because this is critical infrastructure. This really is the front door to all the applications in the bank and if this goes down, the bank has stopped working. Quite simply you have to…
it_user372639
Director IT with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 20, 2016
Allowed us to consolidate the credentials our users need to log on to various sites.

What other advice do I have?

For us the support and maintenance matters most there because once the product is implemented but if we don't have good support at all so that makes it very difficult to run the product. For us, yes the stability plus support is very important. I'd definitely say, do use them to first of all note down all the use cases whatever they want to achieve by implementing SiteMinder. Definitely SiteMinder has a lot of features, a lot of capabilities at all but usually it's not possible for everyone to use each and every feature. I think based on the business requirements, application requirements they…
it_user348408
IdAM Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 21, 2015
It does a good job of gathering all transactional data, capturing information for user-initiated transactions. Tuning the policy store is a little complex to ensure it doesn't get corrupted.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to implement, use, and scale. There is room for improvement as with any product. It’s solely based on what their requirements are, their user population, and their enterprise environment.
it_user348447
IT Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 21, 2015
It provides end users with SSO to our applications – they log in once and they can access all of our applications. A nice addition would be authentication using biometrics.

What other advice do I have?

It provides a good UI for us, and it provides a good solution for our needs. As a standalone product, it's good. You should understand the user setup, requirements, how you want to service the users, and their infrastructure. Based on this information, you can find the right solution.
it_user350634
IT Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 13, 2015
It makes it easier to find all the policies we have in place and run. It’s tough to keep up with all the releases and bugs that get fixed.

What other advice do I have?

It loses points because of the performance issues when we scale, which has to do with the complexity of our environment. If it’s out-of-the-box, maybe others don’t have this issue, but we do because we’re large.
it_user354783
Sr. IT Security Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 11, 2015
It's a one-stop shop to secure all of our web applications, and since 2003, we've been able to scale from two policy cycles to six with it.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your architecture is defined properly.
it_user353934
Identity and Access Management Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 11, 2015
SSO allows us to log in once and use those credentials for multiple web sites.

What other advice do I have?

It loses points for the upgrade and for just the lack of ease of management. We've been using it for a long time, so we're comfortable with its weaknesses and we've adjusted our process around those. I think for a new implementation it would be very challenging to bring in SiteMinder.
it_user351534
Technical Lead - Security Services Group at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 11, 2015
It provides a web-app customer response feature that allows us to customize responses back to the mobile app or browser assignments.​ We'd ike to see a more streamlined implementation update process.

What other advice do I have?

I would totally recommend this product, but I think CA has a really good handle on what the drivers are and where the business is going in terms of application development. They seem to be a good fit.
it_user353775
Senior IT Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
It connects us to our vendors, agencies, and our service providers that are within our group of subsidiaries. We'd like to see a new feature to support an openID connection portal.

What other advice do I have?

It's expensive. If you're small, it wouldn't be as good a fit, but if you are a big company, then it's a better choice.
it_user353421
IT Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
It's flexible so that we can use it for Single Sign-On, integrated windows authentication, SAP, and federation.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go with it simply because I know the product and I know it works. The way I would persuade them would be to say that it's rock solid. It does what you need it to do, it's stable, and the learning curve is really not so bad. If there was one thing I would say, think a little bit more about how you would use a flow chart to optimize the administrators experience to do the exact same job.
it_user351696
Software Development Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
We now have a standardized way of integrating with applications so the application owners don't have to handle authentication or security. A more modern management interface would be nice.

What other advice do I have?

There's a lot of manual work that has to go through transferring a configuration from a lower environment to an upper environment production, so be prepared for that.
it_user351468
Security Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
It provides a level of security that allows us to get on with our work. The initial setup was kind of cumbersome.

What other advice do I have?

Just do your research. This is very important.
it_user349443
Information Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
It helps with compliance because we can make sure who a user is, log-in information, etc. It’s difficult to initially configure, but once you know where the traps are, it’s not a big deal.

What other advice do I have?

As far as software goes, it’s as close to the energizer bunny as it gets. Every now and again, service will freeze, but other than that it just goes. It depends on whether you can log in directly to your LDAP and manage it, because that would be easier. If you need the ability for just logging without buying an application and want good security, it’s an awesome solution. Most people use it as an external firewall, but all our firewalls are internal, so this is a good back stop.
it_user349428
Software Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
It's really increased the security of our applications and, in some cases, without requiring multiple usernames and passwords. The installation documentation is not good enough.

What other advice do I have?

CA is great to work with, but to use it, just learn the product suites and how they interact. Make sure you have a good layout and make sure you have everything you need.
it_user349344
Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Dec 10, 2015
It enables the business to serve customers through multiple channels without asking the user to register multiple times. Agent configuration can be improved.

What other advice do I have?

SSO architecture is different from other kinds of application development. Plan up front. Understand the tool, and understand how to configure the tool, which partially depends on LDAP, and how to configure agents to perform. Understand how you want to protect which assets, and how you want to open asset protection to other channels because it will grow. People will be asking more and more. For us there is no other way when I’m serving that many customers – we have to be fully prepared and plan way ahead.
it_user275949
Manager, Information Security and Cyber Defense at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 10, 2015
It's seamless with several hundred internal applications. We’d like them to go back to the C version of the admin console.

What other advice do I have?

It’s definitely an industry leader in the web access realm. It’s easy to deploy and integrate. You need to understand the overall design of your web infrastructure, and what do you want to protect – the entry point or the entry point and application server? Design questions, really. You need to decide whether you want fine-grain or course-grain authorization. For the CA solution, make a support matrix and understand other peripheral products in the environment.
it_user349326
Senior Staff IT Engineer, Identity and Access Management at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Dec 10, 2015
It ​restricts cookie replacement and provides enhanced ones, so the applications are safer. It would be great if they could move to the AWS support model of opening up a chat instead of a case.

What other advice do I have?

It has all the features, and the CA roadmap has always been ahead of the competition. The only missing portion is documentation around global deployment. As companies are growing bigger and bigger, they’re thinking about global deployments, so we haven’t seen much talk around global deployments, and I haven’t seen any white papers.
it_user58431
Delivery Manager - Technology - Identity and Access Management at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 10, 2015
The login experience is seamless navigation from one app to the next. The policy export/import could be easier for when we go between environments.

What other advice do I have?

It’s stable, the client experience is really good, and there’s an opportunity for us to improve response times. They could improve integration with other products in the suite. Understand what their business cases are before they pursue a solution; understand where they have a need. Sometimes applications themselves don’t necessarily need to be integrated with something as robust as SiteMinder doing ID management, so I’d recommend looking at the business functions and what their needs are before they pursue the SiteMinder solution.
it_user346686
IT Security Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 7, 2015
We use it for multi-factor authentication and for our identity management processes. It's helped us meet requirements by having dual factor authentication.

What other advice do I have?

CA has a lot of servers, but it needs to be simplified to only two to three components. The SiteMinder solution is something that if my colleagues would like, I’d suggest that. Other products I would say, go look out in the market. There are better solutions, and CA should look at Gartner’s Magic Quadrant and IDG. Look at the capabilities to see how they can bring those capabilities into their products, etc. It gives me the single sign-on between applications. On-boarding isn’t effort intensive. Those are good things.
it_user348420
Security Engineer II at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 6, 2015
We can differentiate between good logins with a genuine user and unauthorized ones.

What other advice do I have?

We installed one version and there is a bug in it; from a customer perspective I would want that particular issue to be fixed rather than getting an answer that the bug will be fixed in the next version. It doesn’t mean we’re not trying to address it from our side, but with clients on it, it does take time and we’ve got to keep in mind all of the consequences. If they could have those exact solutions for a particular issue that would be great. You should understand their requirements before they select a solution. Then you need to verify that you have the correct infrastructure, resources, and…
it_user345507
Program Manager at LS3 Technologies, Inc.
Dec 6, 2015
We chose it because you can automate the creation of endpoint systems and create custom connectors. While tech support is sometimes quick, it's often been slower than ideal.

What other advice do I have?

Check how many endpoint systems it supports. We chose this because of the amount of endpoints, you can automate the creation of endpoint systems, and it has the ability to create custom connectors. It supports the connectors out of the box and this is faster and easier than doing it yourself.
it_user346296
Lead Technical Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 6, 2015
With just a single ID, people don't have to remember multiple user IDs and passwords. We've seen some bugginess when we want to incorporate a new feature, customization, or technology.

What other advice do I have?

It may be a good product, but I'd advise staying away from customizing it.
it_user344034
Director of Security at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 25, 2015
It enables security and single sign-on to applications deployed on thick clients, web based applications, and ERP systems.

What other advice do I have?

Have a significant knowledge of the applications transitioning, as it requires interfacing with these products to ensure proper adoption. Have a roadmap to integrate identity and access management into your organization.
it_user304782
Middleware specialist at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 25, 2015
Its single sign-on feature allows us to log in to a variety of different applications, but it's difficult to manage and has an outdate UI.

Valuable Features

Security configuration Flexibility

Improvements to My Organization

It provides a secure interface and single sign-on to a variety of different applications.

Room for Improvement

It's difficult to configure, and has a very old and challenging user interface.

Use of Solution

I managed it for approximately three years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's reasonable, the support does respond within a reasonable time frame, but it can be very difficult to troubleshoot any issue. Technical Support: It's reasonable. The support is not the quickest to respond and does not have a mature process in terms of what logs must be gathered, and what to…