Talend Open Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Talend Open Studio is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to SSIS: Talend Open Studio vs SSIS

What is Talend Open Studio?
Talend's open source products and open architecture create unmatched flexibility so you can solve integration challenges your way. Talend reduces the learning curve and lowers the barrier to adoption for data integration, data profiling, big data, application integration, and more.

Talend Open Studio is also known as Open Studio.

Talend Open Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Talend Open Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Talend Open Studio Customers
Almerys, BF&M, Findus
Talend Open Studio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Talend Open Studio pricing:
  • "There are many versions available and one is open-sourced which is free."
  • "The cost for one year for the ETL tools, not for the big data, is 6K per year. It is a good price."

Talend Open Studio Reviews

EB
Data Integration Specialist/CTO at Asset messages
A complete product with good integrations and excellent flexibility

• "The solution has a good balance between automated items and the ability for a developer to integrate and extend what he needs. Other competing tools do not offer the same grade of flexibility when you need to go beyond what is provided by the tool. Talend, on the other hand, allows you to expand very easily."
  • "The server-side should be completely revamped."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for integration. I consolidate data from several different databases and spreadsheets and merge systems into Amazon Redshift.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a good balance between automated items and the ability for a developer to integrate and extend what he needs. Other competing tools do not offer the same grade of flexibility when you need to go beyond what is provided by the tool. Talend, on the other hand, allows you to expand very easily.

We have a good integration with Artifactory and a good integration with GitHub.

I don't see the need for anything. At the moment, Talend is a good complete product while at the same time not being overwhelming.

What needs improvement?

What I really don't like is the TAC, which is the Talent Administration Console. It's currently slow, old technology. It's obsolete and ugly to use. The studio is great, whereas TAC is on the other side of the spectrum. Actually, in AWS, in many cases, we are ditching the TAC and we are using Amazon-provided services, like Lambda functions, to code the Talend files produced by Talend Studio.

The server-side should be completely revamped.

I've been dealing with the solution for more than three years.

There are two pairs of version keys that parallelize, which is not available in the free version. However, when you can parallelize your jobs you can achieve a good degree of scalability. This is one of the points where Talend shines compared to, for example, Informatica. Informatica is designed to do one record at a time. It requires expert support and general competence in the product.

Talend, by default, can be very efficient, especially using the bulk load and bulk insert components, which, at the moment we are using. We are moving to approximately 10 terabytes of data daily. Notwithstanding the load, we had to tweak very, very little. Using standard components we could achieve our overall needs.

The fact that the technical support is out of China means that sometimes the engineers don't have a good command of the English language. That could hinder the overall experience. Apart from that, most of the incidents were resolved in 48 hours. Therefore, we're pretty satisfied with the level of service we've received.

I have previously worked with Informatica and TIBCO. I still believe Talent is superior.

Obviously, being on AWS, we're using Linux AMI machines or vertical machines, using two machines. The setup was very easy. The only difficult part was to set up to the current time zone, however, this is nothing to do with Talend. We were having issues when Talend jobs were reporting the wrong date when they arrived because the set up was ETC rather than the local time zone.

Setting up Talend and setting up the administration console at the Tac server was very, very easy for somebody with a Linux System Administration skillset.

I set up the solution on my own.

I don't deal with corporate and pricing. I am just an IT Consultant. I honestly don't know the costs to run the solution. I don't know the price. I know people in the finance department are often complaining about the price, however, I don't know what the exact number is.

It's all relative, after all. I have a very strong Oracle background and the Oracle price is totally outrageous. I don't believe that Talend prices are in the same ballpark as Oracle. I don't understand why people are complaining. That said, I don't deal with signing contracts and processes so I really don't know.

What other advice do I have?

I am an IT Consultant. I use it currently in my job. I'm providing services to a company in Australia, using Talend.

I would advise others to use the Studio. If you have to pay for some license to use the key parallelize component, it's a good idea to do it. However, don't use the TAC. Use the other orchestration services like Control-M or AWS functions such as AWS Lambda. Don't use the TAC. The TAC is really ugly.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, the TAC is unreliable. It's a big part of the solution, and, while I do really appreciate Talend Studio and the ability to link into a producer to make a Java code, which is ugly, I don't care because the job is done anyway. The fact that the orchestration is creating execution plans, from the TAC it's fine. However, when the running of the execution plan, sometimes there are issues. The job remains stuck on the actual server. I've had a lot of issues with TAC.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
WM
Practice Head, Analytics at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Useful data stewardship and data preparation features but lacks documentation

• "The data integration aspect of the solution is excellent."
  • "The documentation is lacking within the product. They need to get better at all aspects of describing how it works and how to use it."

What is our primary use case?

One use case for Talend Data Management is using it for data integration from multiple data sources and then to build our customer's golden record.

What is most valuable?

The data integration aspect of the solution is excellent.

The product's data preparation features are very good.

There's very useful data stewardship within the product.

From a technical standpoint, the solution itself is pretty good.

There are very good pre-built connectors in Talend, which is good for many clients or businesses, as, in most cases, companies are dealing with multiple data sources from multiple technologies. That is where a tool like Talend is extremely helpful.

What needs improvement?

While I can't really speak to technical aspects that need improvement, I can say that the marketing of the solution is not the best. They need to really improve how they present the solution to potential clients.

For example, if you see all the other modern products - like Snowflake or Cloudera - and go to their sites, you will have various types of documentation, including data charts and other things you can get readily access. However, if you go to the Talend site, you won't get this kind of marketing material, which is always required.

It's especially difficult when you're writing a proposal. You need to have the technical specifications. All of these modern solutions are quite advanced in terms of their documentation. You go to their site, and you will get a lot of brochures, reports, and other items. This gives you a detailed understanding of the solutions, and all of the specifications, and technicalities, and other things. For Talend, unfortunately, there's a lag in that aspect.

From a data management or data engineering perspective, they could stabilize their new features more.

It would be ideal if they could consider adding prescriptive or predictive models into their components, such as an alternate data IQ.

We don't use the solution directly per se. We're a solutions provider.

The solution offers very good stability. We haven't really had any issues with glitches or bugs. There aren't problems with the solution crashing or freezing on clients. It's been good.

The solution is good at scalability With their big data integration products, they're actually handling a huge data set and the scalability of it is good. They're well-positioned to scale for the client.

Technical support is pretty good. I would rate them at an eight out of ten. We've been satisfied with the level of support provided overall.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was not complex at all.

Deployment times vary according to the size of the client or their needs. If it's for a big client and big project, it could be six months of implementation time. Smaller jobs may only take one month of implementation. It all depends.

We tend to implement this solution for our clients.

I've briefly looked at Azure Data Factory and have been seeking out comparisons between these two options.

What other advice do I have?

We are the solution provider. We are the company that implements such solutions as Talend. We are not the user of the solutions themselves necessarily. We are the reseller as well as implementation partners and the implementing partner of Talend. We have resources who work on these tools and who implement solutions for our customers.

The version of the solution we use varies from client to client, especially for Talend. They have multiple products, including Talend Data Management and Talend's Data Integration Pipeline. A lot of our customers are using the open-source version of Talend. Some are using the licensed version. From those, some are using it for the data stewardship.

We deploy both cloud and on-premises models as required.

Overall, we've been happy with the product. From a data management perspective, the data preparation, data stewardship and the other features that Talend has, including the MDM, are all extremely important for today's organization.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Talend Open Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VasylMazur
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Presents an easy and understandable way to implement data quality features and ensures data quality

• "Talend Studio has the ability to use it to ensure data quality."
  • "The technical support and documentation need a lot of work to come up to standard."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for broader data synchronization, data storage, data transformation, data integration, and other data processing.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like most of all in Talend Studio is the ability to use it to ensure data quality. I like the product because it presents an easy and understandable way to implement data quality features. I license the product specifically because of its ability to handle that type of routine.

What needs improvement?

I do not have so many issues with the product itself but when I do and I contact technical support, the technical support has not always been very good. At times I have had to wait too long to get a solution from them — sometimes even months rather than days. Technical support should definitely be improved.

I think the user interface is an advantage in Talend Open Studio because it is really very good. However, while I am working I sometimes notice a bunch of very minor faults or omissions in the functionality. I see them while working and I don't keep a list so I can not go into many details. But there are a lot of very minor glitches and functional inconsistencies that do not affect the results very much, but if they can be fixed it will improve the system and utility. For example, if I make an FTP connection, I can not use a context variable to define parameters. This feature is just not available and it should be. If such minor gaps are fixed, it would be a much better product and quicker and easier to use.

One other thing that can be improved is that it would be good to have more information on the internet for users to assist with problem-solving and use. I think that there is a lot of information out there but at the same time, it seems like a lot of the information is not the most relevant to what a user really needs. I would advise people coming to the product as new users to read the documentation thoroughly and as much as possible, but I would also hope that the standard and quality of that documentation will be improved by Talend.

I have been working with this product for approximately six months.

We currently have approximately 10 users who are using this solution in our company. In the future we may have plans to increase this usage but that depends on how our needs grow. It does not seem like scaling usage will be an issue.

The customer support is one of the biggest issues I have with the product. The support itself is not always very quick to resolve issues, and that itself is a problem. But also the available information for the product needs to be improved. There is a lot of information, but not all of it is very good.

The initial setup for Talend Open Studio is pretty straightforward. The deployment of any particular job does not take too long. It would be approximately one month in almost every situation.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten. To give the product a higher score they would have to improve several things. This would start with improving technical support.

As far as advice that I have for people considering this solution, I think that this is a very good product which will be able to resolve most peoples' business needs. I recommend it for use depending on your business needs and situation.

Private Cloud
WM
Practice Head, Analytics at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Superior data integration, handles large data sets, documentation needs improvement

• "The most valuable features are definitely data integration, data preparation, and data stewardship."
  • "he overall marketing and documentation of this product need to improve a lot."

What is our primary use case?

One of our clients' use case was for data integration from multiple sources and then to build our customer golden record.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are definitely data integration, data preparation, and data stewardship. Additionally, on a technical standpoint, the solution itself is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

The overall marketing and documentation of this product need to improve a lot. For example, if you see all the modern products such as Snowflake or Cloud ETL and go to their site, you will have various advanced documentation, brochures, reports and data charts. You can get prepared from all the information available. However, on Talend's site, you will not get this kind of marketing materials, which should be required. It is especially important If you are writing a proposal, you need to have these technical specifications documents. This documentation gives you a detailed understanding of the solution on top of the specification, technical information and other important information. Talend, unfortunately, is lagging on that aspect, they should work on it.

In the future, they could improve on stabilizing existing features and adding more prescriptive and predictive models as part of their components.

In my experience It is stable. They have developed a lot and have kept up to date.

The solution is scalable. We did a big data integration that actually handling huge data sets, and the scalability of it is good.

I would give technical support of Talend open studio an eight out of ten.

The installation was straightforward, it was not complex.

We do the implementation for the customers and some can take six months while others can take far less. It is all dependant on the customer's needs.

There are many versions available and one is open-sourced which is free.

I have evaluated Snowflake and Cloud ETL.

What other advice do I have?

There are many different version of this solution that fits into the customer's needs. We have supplied versions best suited for data management, data integration, pipeline and many others. The version varies from customer to customer and some are using the Open Source Talend. Some are using the licensed version and others for the data stewardship.

For those wanting to purchase this solution, there are some important things to consider. This solution has better multiple pre-built connectors than competitors, which is good for any client or any business, because today, in most of the cases, they are dealing with multiple data sources from multiple technologies. Data integration from multiple data sources, I find Talend is extremely helpful.

The features in this solution are very important for today's organization.

I rate Talend open studio a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
AM
Senior BI Developer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Comes with many connectors for different databases, but training videos would help a lot

• "The drag-and-drop feature in the interface is very good."
  • "Having additional training materials, such as a video tutorial, would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I use Open Studio for operational data in the telecom industry. We were working with the data, connecting or joining the tables between different data sources with a very large volume. We perform data preparation and transformation and then look deeper into the details.

How has it helped my organization?

This is not my core tool, but when we have customers who are going to be working with open-source tools then we propose this for ETL use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the variety of connectors that are available for integration with different databases.

The drag-and-drop feature in the interface is very good.

The open-source community for this solution has a lot of users, so it is very strong.

What needs improvement?

Having additional training materials, such as a video tutorial, would be an improvement. I used the online guide, which is very good but it is quite long. If there were a video and a training syllabus then it would be good.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for about one year.

I had some issues with stability when I first installed Talend and I think that it was to do with the difference between Java versions. I struggled for a little bit but since then, everything has been going great.

Because I am working on the open-source version, it does not make sense to assess scalability. If I were working on the licensed version then it would matter.

There are two or three of us in the company who uses it.

I had a few problems during the initial setup. I had to configure some environment variables within my machine in order to be able to start working with Talend. I think that it had to do with confusion between Talend and the Java version that I had installed.

The deployment is almost nothing. You just click on the icon and it will launch.

Here in Asia, the on-premises deployment is preferred.

I deployed Talend on my own.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but I would prefer it if it were easier to find information on how to use it, such as training videos.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JN
Solution Principal at DXC
Easy to use, but the data management platform needs improvement and it needs better integrations

• "The most interesting aspect of the solution for us is that Talend Open Studio has a good balance between the features and the cost of the data management platform."
  • "The solution should offer better integration with other products."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the solution depends on the customer, however, most likely in my case, the industry it would be under would be oil and gas.

What is most valuable?

The most interesting aspect of the solution for us is that Talend Open Studio has a good balance between the features and the cost of the data management platform.

It's easy to use Talend with our customers due to the fact that we can introduce and upsell clients to other kinds of subscriptions.

What needs improvement?

The solution's data management platform needs improvement. I like the data catalog, however, sometimes it requires other components.

The solution should offer better integration with other products.

I've been working with the solution in different projects for my customers probably for the last six years.

I don't know if there are any glitches or bugs on the system. I'm not sure if the solution is stable. I haven't heard any complaints or feedback from any of our clients.

I'm not sure how the scalability is on the solution. I personally have never tried to scale it. Our clients haven't mentioned having issues, although I don't know if they've tried to scale it out either.

We have about five people working with Talend directly in our organization.

I've never tried to contact technical support. I don't have any feedback as to the quality of their services.

I wasn't part of the initial setup. I'm not sure if the implementation was complex or straightforward.

The deployment part of the implementation was easy if I recall correctly. We had no problems there at all.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership agreement with Talend.

While I mostly use the on-prem deployment, for new opportunities, I'm beginning to move towards the cloud.

I would recommend this solution. I don't have an opinion about Talend in a big data environment, however. For example, we've got an Azure kind of environment. I don't have a clear idea if it is the best choice for those particular situations.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it had better integration to ensure it was up to a government's required quality levels, I'd give it higher marks.

YA
Implementation Specialist, Individual Contributor at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly, good price, and useful for connecting to different databases

• "I can connect with different databases such as Oracle Database or SQL Server. It allows you to extract the data from one database to another. I can structure the data by filtering and mapping the fields. It is very user-friendly. You need to know the basics of SQL development or SQL queries, and you can use this tool."
  • "In terms of features, it has all the features that I need. However, it consumes a lot of resources. It is using a lot of RAM, and they need to fix the issue related to resource consumption. It currently requires more than 24 gigabytes of RAM, which is a big amount of RAM."

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently doing the research and testing it on my machine. Our use case is to extract or manipulate data from one database to another one in a structured form.

How has it helped my organization?

I am just testing this solution. It is too early to say whether it is helpful for our company. I am currently assessing it, and I will report my assessment to our management. If it is useful for our project, we will buy a license and use it in our projects.

What is most valuable?

I can connect with different databases such as Oracle Database or SQL Server. It allows you to extract the data from one database to another. I can structure the data by filtering and mapping the fields.

It is very user-friendly. You need to know the basics of SQL development or SQL queries, and you can use this tool.

What needs improvement?

In terms of features, it has all the features that I need. However, it consumes a lot of resources. It is using a lot of RAM, and they need to fix the issue related to resource consumption. It currently requires more than 24 gigabytes of RAM, which is a big amount of RAM.

I have been using this solution for two weeks.

I didn't open any cases with technical support. I would need a license from Talend to get support.

It was easy and user-friendly. Its deployment took around 20 to 30 minutes.

I didn't use a consultant.

The cost for one year for the ETL tools, not for the big data, is 6K per year. It is a good price.

I'm also assessing the Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) solution. I have to assess both Talend and ODI, and management will decide which one will be used. It seems like we can use both of these solutions. For example, for Oracle Database, we can use ODI, and for other databases, we can use Talend Open Studio.

What other advice do I have?

It is good for connecting to more than one source. I can manipulate the data from multiple sources. I can manipulate the data from different databases such as SQL Server or Oracle Database.

I would rate Talend Open Studio an eight out of ten.

Badrakh V
Information System Architect at Astvision
Straightforward to set up, stable, and the ETL tools are good

• "The most valuable features are the ETL tools."
  • "The user interface could be made simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ETL tools.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be made simpler.

If I am comparing to MuleSoft, there are several things that are easier, such as the integration, as well as any connection to the database, or other data source.

In the next release, I would like to see the same simplicity for many of the same functionalities.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for about one year.

The stability is good. My colleagues in Canada recommended the use of this product in banking systems because of the stability.

We have not been in contact with technical support. Any problems that we have had so far, we have been able to solve by searching with Google.

We did not use a similar solution prior to Talend Open Studio, although we are planning on switching to MuleSoft.

The initial setup is not complex. It takes approximately one week to deploy.

We have our own team for the maintenance of Talend Open Studio.

From the start, we were planning on using MuleSoft, but they don't sell to residents of Mongolia.

We used the MuleSoft community edition, and for me, it's better than Talend. In my opinion, Mule is more user-friendly and Talend can be complex.

Our backup plan was Talend.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that I recommend it and they should try using it. It's not bad and if they know Java and it might be simple for them.