VMware Tanzu Greenplum Overview

VMware Tanzu Greenplum is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Apache Hadoop: VMware Tanzu Greenplum vs Apache Hadoop

What is VMware Tanzu Greenplum?

Parallel Postgres for enterprise analytics at scale
With improved transaction processing capability and support for streaming ingest, Greenplum can address workloads across a spectrum of analytic and operational contexts, from traditional business intelligence to deep learning.

VMware Tanzu Greenplum is also known as Greenplum, Pivotal Greenplum.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

VMware Tanzu Greenplum Customers

General Electric, Conversant, China CITIC Bank, Aridhia, Purdue University

VMware Tanzu Greenplum Video

VMware Tanzu Greenplum Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user555939
Information Architecture Specialist (TOGAF Certified) at a comms service provider
Mar 19, 2018
Handles complex queries and report production efficiently, integrates with Hadoop

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data warehousing.

• "It's one of the fastest databases in the market. It's easy to use. From a maintenance perspective it's a good product. The segmentation, or architecture of the product is different than other databases such as Oracle. So even in 10 years, the data distribution for such segments will not affect other segments. The query performance of the product, for complex queries, is very good. It has good integration with Hadoop."
  • "Implementation takes a long time."
  • "One of the disadvantages, not a disadvantage with the product itself, but overall, is the expertise in the marketplace. It's not easy to find a Greenplum administrator in the market, compared to other products such as Oracle."
  • "they need to interact more with customers. They need to explain the features, especially when there are new releases of Greenplum. I know just from information I've found that it has other features, it can be used to for analytics, for integration with Big Data, Hadoop. They need to focus on this part with the customer."
  • "They need to enhance integration with other Big Data products... to integrate with Big Data platforms, and to open a bi-directional connection between Greenplum and Big Data."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10. To bring it up to a 10, they need to interact more with customers. They need to explain the features, especially when there are new releases of Greenplum. I know just from information I've found that it has other features, it can be used to for analytics, for integration with Big Data, Hadoop. They need to focus on this part with the customer. Also they need to enhance integration with other Big Data products. They need to adapt more, give more features, because customers are looking for these things in the market now. They have the product itself already, but…
it_user776835
Senior Data Warehouse Developer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Nov 22, 2017
Provides polymorphic storage and very fast query processing

What is our primary use case?

It is a very good appliance for data warehouse (DWH) usage.

• "Very fast for query processing."
  • "It will be very useful if we could communicate with other database types from Greenplum (using a database link)."

What other advice do I have?

I encourage other customer to try Greenplum, specifically for DWH use. It is a very useful product.
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Apache, Micro Focus and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: March 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user264192
Senior Enterprise Technical Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 24, 2017
We experience performance of approximately 1TB per hour loading data to Greenplum without the use of specialized hardware.

• "Scalable (Massive) Parallel Processing (MPP) – The ability to bring to bear large amounts of compute against large data sets with Greenplum and the EMC DCA has proven itself to be very effective."
  • "We would like to see Greenplum maintain a closer relationship with and parity to features implemented in PostgreSQL."

What other advice do I have?

My primary reason for reducing points on this rating is due to the fact that Greenplum is based on a fork of PostgreSQL v8.2.15 (EOL by the PostgreSQL project on Dec 2011). The current version of PostgreSQL is v9.5. There are a number of current PostgreSQL features of which we would like to take advantage (JSON support, materialized views, full text search, XML support, column-based permissions, row-based permissions, etc.).
MB
Statistician376
Statistician at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 17, 2017
We were able to analyze and produce output on large volumes of data very quickly which saved us lots of time.

What other advice do I have?

Greenplum is a MPP (massively parallel processing) database which is extremely fast. If people are dealing with very high volume of data, it is definitely a product to consider seriously
it_user145740
Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Feb 2, 2017
The MPP element is crucial, so far as it allows us to query millions of rows at a time, at speed.

What other advice do I have?

Investigate whether this solution works for you. It is worth creating a rating matrix to compare other similar products, and it is very useful to look deeply at whether the third-generation MPP software might be a good fit.
Nov 29, 2016
A good warehouser, compressor, and an in house ETL.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to implement this product, you would need to scale your product well before trying to implement.
Nov 29, 2016
Strong integration with Greenplum Servers.

What is most valuable?

Strong integration with Greenplum Servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Loading data to Greenplum server after batch processing.

6 months

Yes, issues with HA and issues in syncing with the Greenplum.

You cannot expect a split second response.

Customer Service: On a scale of 10 I would rate it as 7 Technical Support: On a scale of 10 I would rate it as 8

This has just been used for POC period not for a regular use.

Initial setup works absolutely well.…
Nov 8, 2016
Using Greenplum has given a good boost for bulk processing.
it_user488589
Technology Architect at Broadridge Financial Solutions
Jul 31, 2016
Valuable features for us: Append Only tables, data compression and bulk load and extraction using External Tables.
it_user371805
Senior Business Intelligence Developer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 18, 2016
With this solution, we've reduced load on the OLTP systems.
it_user422625
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 30, 2016
​Installation is very simple, make sure to set the configuration values based on the requirement.​

it_user374739
Data Warehouse Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 22, 2016
The most valuable features are MPP and that it's polymorphic.​ ​It doesn't work as efficiently as we'd like because it requires more segment node capacity than we currently have.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are MPP and that it's polymorphic.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a set of workflow flows that takes 10 hours in Oracle Exadata, now it takes 4 hours with EMC Greenplum.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't work as efficiently as we'd like because it requires more segment node capacity (size, RAM, CPU) than we currently have.

I've used it since 2013.

At the moment, we don't have any issues with deployment.

At the moment, we don't have any issues with stability.

At the moment, we don't have any issues with…
it_user374715
BI Data Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Jan 22, 2016
It has HA built-in with mirroring and many other tuning features that make it highly configurable.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have the designs, approaches and architecture in place before kicking of the implementation. Its best to have someone involved with prior migration experience.
it_user373128
Data Architect & ETL Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 20, 2016
Processing speed of queries used for ‘Reporting’ solutions is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that this is the right tool for your needs. For instance, Greenplum is not the best tool for cases where data has to be kept up to date in real time. Capacity planning is key to success, once you do decide it is the right tool for you.
it_user372360
Sr. Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 20, 2016
It provides file loaders to reduce dependency on Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good product. We moved from Oracle and I don’t want to go back.
it_user372336
Senior Technical Engineer at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Jan 20, 2016
The loaders – their methods, insert, update and merge – were most valuable.

What other advice do I have?

If the use case is going to be requiring a huge data transfer and big data analytics. This is a good product to use.
it_user371898
Sr ETL Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 20, 2016
It only takes minutes to process millions of record. The bug fixes come as many patches like a start up instead of having scheduled release with proper improvements.

What other advice do I have?

You need strong DBAs and architects to support the initial transfer.
it_user371766
Sr. Data Operation Engineer at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 18, 2016
MPP architecture is important to process data in such volume.​ Better integration with big data tech stack is needed.

What other advice do I have?

Scalability is one major concern; once data reach certain level; the performance is dropped and much more issues will be triggered, like disk error; out of memory; etc. Be sure that you proper scope your need (including growth) before the decision of system and its size.
it_user371724
DB Manager at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 18, 2016
​The reports are running very fast, a matter of minutes instead of hours as it was previously.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation and always perform tests.
it_user371457
IT Consultant at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Jan 18, 2016
There are many valuable features, such as parallel loading and the solution's scalability.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

It's allowed us to do a lot of data analytics with it that we weren't able to do before.

What needs improvement?

The performance needs to be improved.

As a whole, two years on multiple versions.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's stable, but slowness is an issue.

It's scaled find for us.

Customer Service: Customer service is OK. Technical Support: Technical…
it_user369321
Senior Director & Global Lead, Big Data Center of Excellence at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 13, 2016
The loading and transformation of large data sets is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

If you can, do a benchmark with other MPP options including cloud alternatives. Although our Greenplum implementation was very successful (going on 4 years ago), I wish we had benchmarked against Teradata and Netezza (now IBM) at least. Today, I would consider not even buying hardware… just doing it all in the cloud.
it_user259983
Lead Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 30, 2015
Session management needs improvement, but performs well with larger data volumes because it uses massively parallel processing.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product for reducing the time and man power needed for database optimization for datawarehousing purposes.
it_user203334
Technical Lead with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 15, 2015
Needs more stability in terms of query results but we have improved our query response time.

What is most valuable?

External tables to load the data from flat files.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us in loading millions of data in quick time & improved query response.

What needs improvement?

More stability in terms of query result.

Five years - DCA V2.0 EMC & Greenplum Database

Not usually, but sometimes we do.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

We applied MPP Appliance for the…
it_user76890
Engineer at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Dec 26, 2013
We use Greenplum for production but not for development and testing because it consumes too much resources
We use the scrum methodology to manage our engineering work. And while this does give us the flexibility to quickly respond to changing business needs, it also means that our databases’ schemas are not set in stone. To accomodate frequent changes to the way we structure our data, we’ve adapted Ruby on Rails database migrations for use beyond our Rails apps. Our first challenge was to find and extract the migration’s functionality from Rails so that we could use it without needing to bring in the other features of Rails we didn’t need. Thankfully, this turned out to be relatively simple because almost all of the functionality can already be accessed by Rake tasks, so it was just a matter of building a Rake file that contains the tasks we wanted from Rails. The only…