Atlassian SourceTree Review

User-friendly, easy to scale, and it helps to fix problems with our code repository

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this for repairing a broken Git repository. I don't usually use it and others on the team, as far as I know, don't necessarily use it in the normal workflow, but it is pretty good when you have really messed up your repository. It lets you dive in visually and see what you've done. It's better than the command line tools.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped because we have been able to fix problems when our code repository breaks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to fix a broken repository merge. Some of the things that you now see in Bitbucket from Atlassian that are on the cloud-hosted version are now starting to creep into that market over the standalone desk version.

The interface is pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

For everyday use, I am more comfortable using the command line interface, rather than using SourceTree.

The way our system works for software deployment, having to install this product is inconvenient.

There is a cost for using this product, whereas the command line is at no charge.

I have been using Atlassian SourceTree for approximately five years.

We have experienced no bugs or crashes that I know of.

Given that it is installed on individual machines, it would be easy enough to scale. I would say that about 40% of our development team uses it for fixing issues. Sometimes, even newer developers will use it.

I have not had contact with technical support.

Prior to SourceTree, we would have used TortoiseHg or TortoiseSVN. That would have been when we used Subversion and Mercurial, but since there's no Tortoise version for Git, we used SourceTree.

The initial setup is easy.

There is a fee for using SourceTree.

What other advice do I have?

When people get into a jam, we tell them to use this product and try to see if they can solve it. That is if they weren't able to figure it out using the command-line tool.

I guess that GitHub is trying to push into that too, where now they've now got a GitHub Command Line Interface, that's I think supposedly trying to mirror what the web version does on the command line, but still using Git on the backend. I wonder if that's something that SourceTree or Bitbucket might look at and say, how do they make a tool that works, still Git on the backend, but gives you a visualization in their GUI tool. But then, you use it possibly like GitHub's doing with their GitHub Command-Line, where you get some convenience operators. I guess the trick there is just going to be maintaining Git compatibility and not having to learn a totally different workflow.

In summary, this is a product that works for the case where I need it, but it's not something that I use all of the time. I'm not sure what it would take for me to use it regularly, or how I might better integrate it.

More Atlassian SourceTree reviews from users
...who compared it with Bitbucket
Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, GitHub, Git and others in Version Control. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.