Blue Prism Cloud Review

Additional functionality over the Enterprise version make good over the difficulty of installation

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Blue Prism Cloud depends on what our client's needs are. If they want something that is cloud-based but they do not have their own cloud infrastructure — like Azure or something like that — they need additional support. If they want the features that come with Blue Prism Cloud, like OCR (Optical Character Recognition) functionality or anything in particular on the service desk, that is usually when clients would choose Blue Prism Cloud as an option for automating processes.

We deliver RPA (Robotic Process Automation) solutions for our clients. We go out to them and do the discovery and identify processes that are candidates for automation with them. Then we deliver that for them by building out the processes and deploying Blue Prism. We do the whole thing up to that point.

What is most valuable?

I have not had much direct feedback from clients about what they find the most valuable in Blue Prism. I guess I would say probably the additional functionality over and above Blue Prism Enterprise and the fact that it is cloud-based are things that would attract them to the product. Additionally, it will be secure on secured cloud servers. There is a lot less to worry about.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the issues we have experienced have been more painful because of the support. In the past, support was a bit weak. It would take a while to get a response and it could take a while to get an issue resolved. If we had a client that wanted Blue Prism Cloud Thoughtonomy, then it could take a little while to get that up and running. In comparison, getting Enterprise up and running is much quicker. I suppose the cost of Enterprise is quite a lot in comparison as there is an investment in the hardware.

I do not really develop in Blue Prism Cloud, so I do not really know what can be improved on the development side. I do not really have any level of detail about it or feedback from appropriate users.

We were working with Blue Prism Cloud before it was Blue Prism Cloud. It was still Thoughtonomy (acquisition announced July 17, 2019). So we have got a fair bit of experience with it throughout the product's history.

I think Blue Prism Cloud has been fairly stable.

This product is quite scalable. I mean we have not done scaling to huge numbers by percentage. We have done a reasonable volume up to about 50 processes at a time. It has been fine from that standpoint. It does not seem most people using it will make huge jumps in the number of processes that they use all at once.

I have not personally had to contact technical support, but I know my colleagues have. We do deploy the product for our clients as part of the process of delivery in creating automated solutions for them. That is where it stops as we are not providing maintenance for the product to customers. But during the installations and development, there has been some contact with support. There have not been any notable complaints beyond the level of difficulty sometimes encountered during the setup and installation.

In our experience setup and installation for Blue Prism has been relatively complex, but it is getting better. The deployment used to take somewhere around anywhere up to a month before. I would say it could be as little as a few days now.

What other advice do I have?

Typically the value of Blue Prism Cloud depends on the user's needs. Most people would only really need Blue Prism Enterprise on-premises but people like the additional functionality of being on the cloud. Both products are good solutions. I do think that a lot of our clients going for Blue Prism Cloud when in reality they could probably get away with the Enterprise version — or even something else. We often deal with people who are early in their RPA journey, so they are just starting out and getting to know the advantages of the products and automation. So I would typically recommend that they go with Enterprise and if they feel like they need to move on to Cloud then they can do that later. But a lot of people like that functionality, they want the OCR and they want the AI capability that comes with the cloud. So often they choose cloud but they may just be doing that because it either seems new or it is progressive and advanced or whatever.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Blue Prism Cloud as a seven-out-of-ten. I am no expert on using it first-hand, but I think reducing the costs, speeding up the deployment, maybe adding a few other product package offerings in order to make it a little bit easier to adopt — those things might make it more attractive to a broader range of users. Right now you have to buy into it all in one go and that might be daunting to people who hardly know what they are getting into. I think improving support and making it less complex to sort of get up and running could be key areas to focus on.

Private Cloud
More Blue Prism Cloud reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with UiPath
Learn what your peers think about Blue Prism Cloud. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.