CA Service Operations Insight Review

The tools shorten our time to diagnose and resolve problems

What is most valuable?

It's going to help us do our job better, more efficiently, and more quickly. The tools shorten our time to diagnosis and resolve problems, and to analyze things. It's probably going to reduce overall efforts, overall man-time, or manpower requirements. It will also let us scale and grow better.

How has it helped my organization?

It's certainly going to speed up time to resolution. It will hopefully make it so I could introduce more junior people on my staff in a training role, rather than all senior people, as we are stuck with now. It's a lot of opportunity to fix structural things that we're seeing that were missing in the code environment.

What needs improvement?

In regards to their newly released Operational Analytics interface for mainframe systems, so far, the first releases are a limited set of data. The future releases are going to bring in surrounding data, database network metrics, and other business metrics into the tool. So that’s all key for us.

So far, it looks pretty good. It looks really nice. It's merging new technologies with my mainframe data. It's really good so far. I like what I'm seeing.

So far, it looks like it's going to do the right thing for me. We're looking for a product that lets me grow my environment without having to worry about staff. So this tool looks like it can scale and support almost anything that we need to. That will be good. It's going to reach out and touch other metrics that come into it from other technologies. This is also key for us.

We are not using technical support yet because their product is just coming to GA; but I took part in their beta testing program. The support was great on that.

We had some home grown solutions that we were developing. They had the right product at the right time for us. It looks like a better fit than what we could design for ourselves.

We looked at IBM a little bit, but they didn't have anything that went into this area that we were looking at. We would have to develop our own pieces there too. This looks like a more comprehensive solution for us.

It is important that a vendor works with the customer, and they're receptive to customer requirements. We've been able to talk to them, and requests things from them. It's a two-way street. We get responses back from them, and updates to products and features included in the future releases that we need. So it's been very good.

I wasn’t involved in the initial setup, but was involved in some of the initial designs of the product early-on.

What other advice do I have?

It really does what most people don't even realize that they need to do. It uses historical data to monitor where you're at currently. A lot of people just spend time looking at historic charts; but that's yesterday’s data. You need something that brings that and merges it with today's data. That, to me, is where this is going to really hit the sweet spot.

I think it fills a key gap in the environment right now that's really missing. It's really going to be a game changer once it hits the market, and it really hits the world – when it starts being used by everybody. It's going to be a game changer.