CA UIM (DX Infrastructure Manager) Review

The server monitoring is the most valuable feature for us, but right now we're working through some performance issues.

Valuable Features

• Server reporting
  • Server monitoring

These are the most valuable features for us, but I think this is probably the wrong way to talk about it. There's some depth into what we can watch from processes, logs, as well as URLs, and synthetics. So, we have the overall ability to manage everything with UIM.

Improvements to My Organization

I don't think that at this stage it's mature enough to have improved the way our organization functions. It's going to get there, but right now there's scalability, performance, and ease-of-use issues that need to be addressed. It will eventually provide us with what we want, but right now we have some challenges with these issues.

Room for Improvement

One of the things I would like to see an improvement on is the ability to do mass deployment with this solution.

Also, it should allow for federation where I can give our users their login and they can choose whatever thresholds they wish to have.

Even better, I would like to see from synthetic transaction reports the ability for our business units to record their transactions and then provide it back to us. That would save us a lot of time.

We've had no issues with deployment.

The stability is great, but I just find the ease-of-use to be lacking.

There are potential issues with the flexibility for the number of devices that we have because the scalability-performance issue is not fully vetted. CA needs to work on a better API model for us to manage those devices in a larger enterprise.

We have over 20,000 servers, and I don't believe that the ease-of-use to deliver 20,000 should requires a lot of manual processing. Nevertheless, we've wasted a lot of hours doing manual processes to deliver the solution. So, there's an issue with scalability from that perspective.

Technical support has been challenging. I have to go create a new login in MSoft so that I can start opening tickets, instead of going through the traditional CA support. So it causes delays, and I'm hopefully looking for a better response from that team. I can give 9's and 10's throughout the rest of the CA, but there I'd probably give them a 2.

Other Advice

I would suggest that you verify the growth, basically the scalability that you're planning, to utilize its solution. Make sure that's within the grasp of the solution when you're purchasing UIM.