Cisco Ethernet Switches Review

Easy to deploy but they should maximize the number of ports

What is most valuable?

The hardware is rugged. We use it for the basic configuration.

What needs improvement?

Cisco has a layer three rugged switch. I don't know if they have it. The one I use is layer 2 only. Cisco should provide field switches, outdoor switches that have the capability for layer 3.

We've had hardware problems like SSDS, ports, networking, things like that.

They should maximize the number of ports. For me, that's important because we have some sites that the industrial switches lack ports so we have to install two industrial switches.

I have been using this solution for two years.

Stability is okay.

We have around 500 switches deployed in one network.

We haven't needed to contact their technical support.

It's easy to deploy, just copy and paste. Installing the switches and configuring it, it takes only less than an hour. Installing the fibers takes time.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution would be to have a  good plan and a good design. It will go smoothly if you have a good design and a good plan. It's important.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. Not a ten because Mellanox is better compared to Ethernet switches.

More Cisco Ethernet Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with HPE Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.