Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Review

Offers customized reports but their support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to deep-dive and get deep visibility analyzing of logs and proxy of the network. In other words, to get good customized reports.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows us to see what our users do on their computers. Some way they work all day long, but then we see that they have been surfing on net, using YouTube, streaming or looking at Facebook. It is therefore a very handy program.

What is most valuable?

I am very impressed by the new version's security - on-premise or on the cloud. We have integrated the program with FortiView to get a better-customized log and more scalability on the application. The newer version is also much faster than the previous one and we have more visibility on whatever is happening on our system.

What needs improvement?

Reporting wasn't very good in the previous version, but I believe it has greatly improved. The newer version has more features and the quality of reporting is better too.

I would also like to see an improvement in the rebooting.

I've been using this solution for about 13 years now.

The stability of the solution is good - better than the previous version. Even the hardware had changed from DCVs to some STVs so now the hardware and software are more powerful compared to the previous version. We are now able to do 14-hour functionality. The program is disabled on the FortiManager by default, but we can enable it via the console in order to get the same visibility on the FortiAnalyzer.

The scalability of the program is good and we are hoping to increase our usage. I would like to see new features and better functionality, though. For the scalability of the FortiAnalyzer, we need to take into consideration the time it will take to load 30 users instead of only 14. So maybe we would perhaps need an upgrade license for FortiAnalyzer deployment in that case.

The technical support isn't very good, I rate it a 2 out of 5. I don't really rely on their support because in the past I had some issues and the support team could not help me.

The initial setup was really straightforward. The duration of the deployment depends on the requirements of the customer and the kind of reports they want to get. It can be customized to the client's specifications. Some only use it for visibility while others want to get detailed reports. If the requirements are complex, it will take around two days. Otherwise, it will take a few hours. It is very easy to deploy the FortiAnalyzer.

This program is quite expensive. We have to renew the hardware every year and the hardware is very expensive. And we need to renew the licensing for application control too.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a 6 out of 10. It is a good security firmware for automation. From a single dashboard we can get all the logs and traffic information on our firewall. We can get more visibility, so there is no need for the engineer to go in each and every firewall to get information.

Even if we don't use the FortiAnalyzer, we can use a FortiCloud to send a log. But we are still using a cloud-based solution. We are using our internet bandwidth to send logs. That's in real-time or scheduling. If bandwidth is the key factor, I will not recommend the customer to use a FortiCloud. And even if you are using the FortiCloud, the basic free version, you have a retention log for only seven days. If you want to have a longer retention log, let's say for one year, then you need to create a subscription with FortiGate. In that case, it is better to have a FortiAnalyzer on-premise. Always try to listen to your customer.