HPE Primera Review

Storage guranteed uptime is 100% and Data avilability is 100%. Other brands give a guranteed uptime of 99.999%

What is our primary use case?

We use it for databases and application VMs. We are using the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing that we had found when we purchased this product around six months back was its 100% availability and uptime.

What needs improvement?

One of the drawbacks of the model we purchased is that it is not running NVMe drives. Even though they say that it is NVMe-ready, it is still on the SSD drives. The model that we purchased has only eight hard drives, and only the ones on the top could work on NVMe. The rest of them are still on the SSD. Its competitors, such as EMC and Pure Storage, are moving or have already moved to NVMe. HPE should improve this solution for NVMe.

HPE should also improve IOs in this solution. IOs in HPE are weaker than Hitachi and Pure Storage.

I have been using this solution for almost six months.

It is stable.

It is scalable, but we haven't scaled it. We purchased it with the required capacity, and it will suffice for our needs for the next couple of years. We have 2,000 plus users who access this Primera storage through applications.

We haven't contacted their technical support. We didn't have any issues since we purchased it.

We used Hitachi G200 and HPE 3PAR for two or three years. Both these models are a minimum of six or seven years old. The main difference is that HPE Primera is on SSD. IOs in HPE are weaker than Hitachi and Pure Storage.

It wasn't simple, but it also wasn't so complex.

It was implemented by HPE. Even though we have got the Proactive Care warranty, it currently doesn't require any maintenance. We have just two admins.

It is basically in the mid-range of the price. It is not cheaper than Hitachi, but it is cheaper than Pure Storage. There are no additional costs. Everything was taken care of in the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it depends on the use cases for which you want to use the storage device.

I would rate HPE Primera an eight out of ten.

A630
More HPE Primera reviews from users
...who compared it with Pure Storage FlashArray
Learn what your peers think about HPE Primera. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.