HPE StoreVirtual Review

Stable, scalable, and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed with two nodes and then users have a network ride. The storage solution synchronizes, and it's quite like the StarWind solution. We installed two storage virtual machines and they synchronize with each other. That way, if one goes down, the other one will have the same data.

What is most valuable?

The management is very easy.

The solution is very stable.

The solution offers good patching.

What needs improvement?

The challenge we have right now is that the product reaches its end of life in October of 2022. They should continue producing this solution.

The initial setup could be simplified to make it easier for new users.

The solution should offer a simpler network setup.

The product's interface is a bit dated. They should refresh its design.

I've been dealing with the solution for three years.

The solution has been very stable. We've been very satisfied with the solution and haven't run into any bugs, glitches or crashes.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. You can go up to 50 terabytes.

We've never contacted technical support. I don't have any experience dealing with them.

I've previously used Openfiler. Openfiler didn't have the network RAID, and it didn't synchronize. It was just for one storage solution.

It's a little bit complex to implement the solution. After a while, it's easy. However, the first time you do it it's quite complex. The way networking is designed, it's complicated because you need two virtual features. It's just a little complicated from a network setup perspective.

It takes two to three days to deploy the solution, which isn't too long.

In terms of pricing, for one terabyte, it's free. For four terabytes it's about 2,500 Euros. If you go further up it costs around 10,000 Euros if you want to go to 10 terabytes.

What other advice do I have?

We're an HPE partner.

The solution is deployed as an OVS file. It's an appliance, It's installed as a virtual machine on VMware.

It's a very good solution.

Since it's free for the one terabyte, and it's a very stable solution, it's a good solution to try out. It just works.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If the networking wasn't so complicated, I would rate it higher.