HPE StoreVirtual Review

Easy to use and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a database for Oracle Databases and their ERP system, for the VMware server to run Veeam, and for some websites. For a not very high workload, less than 10 TB. For our customers' database, it's around 2 TB in these use cases.

We are not currently providing services for StoreVirtual, as customers are upgrading to the new model.

What needs improvement?

As for features that can be improved, it is a costly solution. Maybe upgrading to the new model is better. Additionally, it could be more scalable, the scalability can be more loaded.

Lastly, it could use SD to rehash hybrid storage.

Our customers are using this product for around three years.

Normally, the customer complains to HPE. In some cases we go on-site to help customers. Or they just buy our support and we will go to the site to help our customers to do some maintenance.

It costs less than $10,000 for one machine. If it costs more than 15% higher than this, then the customer may change to another solution.

What other advice do I have?

StoreVirtual is a single loader converter. Normally, we will sell NetApp and they scale out some dispatch systems software storage. I know some customers are using the Veeam Manager when it is just a small amount of data and they are using the local hard disk and they want to share storage. We also use the Veeam edition. But now, most customers are more interested in the hyper-converged systems. But you know the cost of hyper-converged. The cost is not so low and customers can pay hundreds and thousands.

My advice is not to pay the full price. Compare it to NetApp ECS or the Lenovo or EMC Unity.

Normally, the customer is using it and we may tell them to continue using this solution, otherwise, we may let them change to another product because HPE is not the main solution for my company. My company is selling NetApp, EMC, Cisco - these are our main business.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this solution an eight. This is because it's very stable and it's easy to use. That's very good. But if you compare it with new technologies like Scalr, like hybrid solutions with SAP to cache to improvements, it may not be a good choice.

More HPE StoreVirtual reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Red Hat Ceph Storage
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Nutanix, Red Hat and others in Software Defined Storage (SDS). Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.