IBM Application Performance Management Review

Valuable for infrastructure owners and useful for real-time information and transaction tracking

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mainly for monitoring client infrastructure, IT infrastructure, middleware applications, and servers-based and cloud-based applications.

How has it helped my organization?

This application is implemented in the banking industry, where virtual services are used a lot by people every day. IBM APM is very valuable for the infrastructure owners in terms of getting almost real-time information about the services. If there is a downtime or service outage, they can quickly react and improve the way the clients look at them and perceive their services.

What is most valuable?

The transaction tracking feature from IBM is the most important feature for us. It is something that provides a terrific value for us and our clients.

It has a lot of data sources and agents that are collectors. It is also stable.

What needs improvement?

Its web user interface is a little bit old in comparison to other solutions, such as New Relic, and it should be improved.

Its scalability and technical support should also be improved. Currently, it is scalable, but only in a vertical way. They provide good technical support, but the initial steps for a new case can be improved to fasten the resolution process.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable, but only in a vertical way. Our clients usually have a big infrastructure. There are roughly 50 users of this solution.

I have used their support a lot. It is not the best, but it is very good. At the beginning of a new case, there are always the same questions and same procedures. IBM should make this initial process faster to quickly move the case forward.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment took around two or three hours.

You just need one person for its deployment, administration, and operation.

Our clients evaluate New Relic, Dynatrace, and some open-source software for APM. The main differences are in terms of the price and licensing and maybe special agents or data sources.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It has fantastic functionalities.

I would rate IBM Application Performance Management an eight out of ten.

8.1.4
More IBM Application Performance Management reviews from users
...who compared it with Dynatrace
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, AppDynamics, Dynatrace and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: June 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.