IBM Cognos Review
Report Studio is a bit complicated but very powerful for complex reports

Valuable Features

Data Manager is a great ETL tool, Query Studio is a great tool for ad-hoc queries, simple but powerful. Report Studio is a bit more complicated but also very powerful for complex reports.

Improvements to My Organization

Dashboards and reports bring all the needed figures to our direction on a daily basis and it's available from various devices (apple, android, windows 8.)

Room for Improvement

The reporting tool can be tricky and you'll need to get used to it but it's worth the effort.

Use of Solution

4 years

Yes, there may be compatibility issues but as long as you read the requirements and do not apply the latest Fix Pack blindly as soon as they are released, it's pretty stable.

Yes, as with many 3-tiers applications you rely on a web server, an application server and a database, so for example- a huge load of connections can bring down the app server when using LifeCycleManager, a great tool for assistance in the upgrade process.

Not so far.

Customer Service: Better, but I must say that it's not as good as my experience with Oracle's.Technical Support: Good.

I tried (very briefly) Business Object and QlikView but my company has been running Cognos since the beginning.

As usual it requires a lot of reading and it can get a bit complex since there are a lot of different technology involved (web server IIS or Apache, app server TOMCAT, java and Oracle RDBMS as the content store).

Implementation Team

It was a mix, the vendor usually has good skills on the subject. Support can be sometimes be disappointing.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, we did look at Microstrategy, Qlikview and Oracle BI which may have been good choices if we started from scratch but there was no point in changing the tool we were already using.

Other Advice

You need the resources and the budget but it's a great set of tools that can bring value to your business.
1 visitor found this review helpful