IBM Cognos Review

Go for it but get training first

Valuable Features

The Reports and Query Studio functions have been very valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

It enables me to see trends of data we have from different angles and each end-user can run ad-hoc queries themselves.

Room for Improvement

Framework Manager, Map Manager, and Reporting Database Connectivity features should all be free.

Use of Solution

3 years including previous version

I was unable to use oracle 64 bit client to connect with oracle 64 bit databases. However, because of Linux I had to use 32 bit anyway.

Not much

We had some minor issues with scalability.

7-8 out of 10

8 out of 10

We changed because of the offer of more features and technical support than our previous solution.

For us it was complex to do it for the first time and too much R&D had to be done. Later on it was easier. It may have been complex as it was our first time setting up the Cognos.

Implementation Team

Implementation was done by an In-house team who learned from scratch.

ROI

Good. It helped the purpose for which we used it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I have little knowledge of this but I think we pay for each report we deploy

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at three other solutions, Netezia, Xplore, and Netcool.

Other Advice

Go for it but it will require training.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Practice LeaderUser

Note that effective of 10.2.2 Query Studio and Analysis Studio have been marked for "deprecation", meaning they will not be in future releases, but would be supported for a number of years in line with IBM's usual support policies.

Workspace Advanced (for authoring) and Workspace (for consumption) are the replacements, and have been around for a number of years now.

Report Studio for professional IT authors continues to be a key component..

04 May 15