IBM Cognos Review

Our staffing department is able to review staff assignment and quickly adjust resources in near real time.

What is most valuable?

Itis easy to use, and web based.

How has it helped my organization?

With BI in place, our staffing department is able to review staff assignment and quickly adjust resources in near real time.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement with the GUI. The product is a web-based application; it is easy to build basic style. However, at a certain level, it lacks support for advanced web programming capabilities, such as JavaScript, Ajax, etc.

I have used it for 12 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues. The product is built to be an enterprise solution.

Technical support is 8 out of 10. The product has quite a few components. When issues arise, it is not very straightforward to identify root cause, thus difficult to find right support resources for help. My personal experiences are, if you know where the issue occurs and ask the right question, IBM tech support typically can get the answer for you very quickly. Otherwise, it might take some time to get things straightened out.

Other tools were used before, but Cognos provides better functionalities.

It was easy to set up; good documentation.

Cognos offers middle-market and enterprise solutions. The middle market is a great value package for companies with less than 500 users.

Before choosing this product, we also evaluated OBIEE and SAP Crystal Reports.

What other advice do I have?

• Understand your needs first.
  • Bring in good experts for initial implementation.
  • Gradually grow internal resources to be able to do self-support.
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an IBM Cognos premier partner.
More IBM Cognos reviews from users