IBM Cognos Review

The dashboards and visualizations are valuable. The UI has changed, and some of the functionality is different.

What is most valuable?

Dashboards and visualizations are the product’s most valuable features. Most of my customers are moving from reporting to dashboards and mobile. They are keeping reporting only for daily/weekly/monthly basic reports. All other communication of metrics/KPIs and operational information are moving to dashboards and visualizations and many are looking for mobile solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

• Better collaboration

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the user interface, which might simply be a learning curve issue. It has changed dramatically and some of the functionality is very different. For example, getting a list of reports requires some extra clicks to get the full list and the entire file name is not visible in all views.

Some important bugs still exist in the product, including:

• Not being able to change packages on a published report
  • Some issues with Framework Manager in Cognos 11 not connecting properly when the 10.2.2 version is still installed

I have used it for two months.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

We previously used Cognos 10.2.2; upgraded for new features.

Initial setup was complex. Cognos is a very complex tool to configure.

Get bulk licensing if at all possible. IBM has a very structured pricing model.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have good IBM support in place before installing, and read all associated documentation. Third-party or IBM installation would be recommended.

11.0.3
More IBM Cognos reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with IBM Cognos Express [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about IBM Cognos. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarBob Edis
Top 20Consultant

I found Cognos Analytics 11 to be the easiest version I've every installed. Though only on Windows Servers so far, my team mate has done it on RedHat Linux and also said it was fast and straight forward. I installed 11.0.4 to run concurrent with 10.2.2 on the same server and found no issues with FWM or any other part of the tool set. I upgraded to 11.0.6 (in situ) recently and it was a breeze.