IBM Cognos Review

The dashboards that are created, are simple for data representation. The reporting output/UI is quite old-fashioned.

What is most valuable?

It is a quick solution and has dynamic insights. The features that I liked about the system are:

• An easy creation of dashboards with insights. The dashboards that are created, are simple for data representation. Thus, the comparisons are quite user-friendly.
  • A user-friendly table structure.
  • Being able to create data drill up and down quite quickly. Drilling data down and up helps to understand the insights quickly. For example, in order to analyze the sales data, we get total sales-> region-wise sales-> country-wise-> district-wise-> and store-wise. Reversely, in order to understand the product performance, we would require a drill up chart, i.e., performance at the zonal level-> country level-> overall performance.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization was able to:

• Reduce the reporting efforts by 50%.
  • Have more insightful reports.

What needs improvement?

I find areas where some improvements will help are:

• When the data becomes very voluminous, then handling and representing it becomes clumsy.
  • The type of charts are only two dimensional. Currently, the charts are two dimensional to understand the trend. Also, one needs to compare the time horizon or the volume horizon separately and it will be really helpful, if that dimension could be included.
  • The reporting output/UI is quite old-fashioned.
  • The statistical insights are missing or they cant be created.

I have used this solution for two years.

There were no issues in regards to the scalability.

The technical support is average.

One of the reasons why we switched solutions was due to the maintenance cost and the cost of ownership.

We looked at other solutions, namely SAP and TIBCO Spotfire.

More IBM Cognos reviews from users