Ibm

IBM Cognos Review
Roles and permissions can be created to give specified access to reports.

Valuable Features:

• Robust framework manager tool for querying
  • Retrieving data from disparate sources into one model
  • Can be used for creating views and SQL scripts.
  • IBM administration for scheduling reports through multiple outputs
  • Cognos roles and permissions can be created to give specified access to reports

Improvements to My Organization:

• We have used this tool to retrieve data from the SQL Server, SSIS packages, and Oracle tables/views.
  • We have built the FM model by creating views or query subjects as needed. Different reports can come from one model. This was used for relational and dimensional reports.
  • We have created cubes which were built in Cognos transformer and then used as a data source in the model. This was used for creating dimensional reports using Kimball methodology (dimensional and fact tables). The surrogate keys were built by another developer using the IBM data modeler or SQL/Oracle. The dimensional model was used to create robust dashboards using the advanced workspace.
  • We have used IBM Cognos Administration to deploy the reports/packages from one environment to another. Drilling through reports was used to go down to granular reports. Reports were given access per their Cognos role or LDAP access. (MS Active Directory was set up by another developer.) Different packages, such as the audit package, can give detailed information about the metadata.
  • The entire process can be created in the IBM tool from source, to reporting, to administration.

Room for Improvement:

• Report Studio: While using the dimensional model package, the reporting language could be made more user-friendly.
  • Cognos FM could process queries faster
  • IBM configuration errors should be detailed, instead of blanket errors
  • Deployment of report/packages from one environment to another could be simplified

Use of Solution:

We have used this solution for more than seven years.

Stability Issues:

I have not worked on the server side, so I can't comment about stability.

I have no experience with technical support.

Previous Solutions:

I am not aware of any previous solutions.

Initial Setup:

I was not involved in the initial setup process.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I was not involved in the licensing process.

Other Solutions Considered:

I am not aware of any other evaluated solutions.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About IBM Cognos?

Our experts can help. 228,467 professionals have used our research on 5,836 solutions.