What is most valuable?
- Robust framework manager tool for querying
- Retrieving data from disparate sources into one model
- Can be used for creating views and SQL scripts.
- IBM administration for scheduling reports through multiple outputs
- Cognos roles and permissions can be created to give specified access to reports
How has it helped my organization?
- We have used this tool to retrieve data from the SQL Server, SSIS packages, and Oracle tables/views.
- We have built the FM model by creating views or query subjects as needed. Different reports can come from one model. This was used for relational and dimensional reports.
- We have created cubes which were built in Cognos transformer and then used as a data source in the model. This was used for creating dimensional reports using Kimball methodology (dimensional and fact tables). The surrogate keys were built by another developer using the IBM data modeler or SQL/Oracle. The dimensional model was used to create robust dashboards using the advanced workspace.
- We have used IBM Cognos Administration to deploy the reports/packages from one environment to another. Drilling through reports was used to go down to granular reports. Reports were given access per their Cognos role or LDAP access. (MS Active Directory was set up by another developer.) Different packages, such as the audit package, can give detailed information about the metadata.
- The entire process can be created in the IBM tool from source, to reporting, to administration.
What needs improvement?
- Report Studio: While using the dimensional model package, the reporting language could be made more user-friendly.
- Cognos FM could process queries faster
- IBM configuration errors should be detailed, instead of blanket errors
- Deployment of report/packages from one environment to another could be simplified
For how long have I used the solution?
We have used this solution for more than seven years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
I have not worked on the server side, so I can't comment about stability.
How are customer service and technical support?
I have no experience with technical support.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
I am not aware of any previous solutions.
How was the initial setup?
I was not involved in the initial setup process.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
I was not involved in the licensing process.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
I am not aware of any other evaluated solutions.
Which version of this solution are you currently using?