IBM Cognos Review

We create beautiful, complex reports in Report Studio

What is our primary use case?

We use it for standard reporting in the platform, and we are satisfied with the product.

How has it helped my organization?

1. It helps us deliver information to people in different functions.
  2. It is possible to have people make their own reports, so they have service functionality.

What is most valuable?

A positive feature is Report Studio, where we create beautiful, complex reports.

What needs improvement?

We need more predictive analytical functions, not only diagnostic or decryptic analytics.

More than five years.

The latest version is very stable. We have not had any problems.

I have found no problems with scalability. With a good server, everything works.

IBM Cognos can improve in this area. Both IBM and our company do research to find solutions, and we are sometimes faster than they are in providing the solution that works, usually by studying documents.

We can use the normal routines sufficiently to solve problems. However, if we try to add components which are not streamlined or well-known, we have to work it out without the technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I was not involved in this process. The product was chosen 18 years ago.

We always return to the same vendors, such as IBM, SAP, and Tableau. If there is an existing environment where a lot of reports are outdated, changes need to be made. If we have a running system that is up with no technical problems and the price is not changing drastically, then no change is necessary.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a nine out of 10, because of the support. Other than support, everything works.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: When we search for a vendor, we always make comparisons between them. In France, we were surprised by the product, what it delivers, and what is included in the package. There are a lot of different tools on the market that deliver on some points, but not all.

Cognos Analytics gives us a lot of possibilities, including dashboarding, which you would have to purchase additionally from other providers. Every three or four years, we do some benchmarking to analyze the product.