IBM Rational DOORS Next Generation Review

Good integration capabilities, with good stability and an easy initial set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for system engineering.

Typically, we receive a user requirement to produce or engineer specific equipment. From there, we derive requirements, system and sub-system specifications, and also design or create a test plan with a rationale quality manager, which is in the same suite as DOS next generation. There's full coverage provided, from building requirements to testing.

What is most valuable?

I'm impressed by the tool because the tool comes from DOS, and DOS was the legacy tool. The legacy tool had some problems and actually this version resolves a lot of those.

It's web-based, so you don't have anything to install.

One of the most advanced aspects of the tool is its integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The tool is quite new, so it may not be a mature product, but I haven't spent enough time with it to have a list of improvements that it needs.

When you are in JIRA or Confluence, you have some freedom in how you type in the text. That's also a weakness of Confluence, however, as it opens the doors to sloppy work. In DOS Next Generation, the text is very rigorous, but it might be difficult for people who don't have the discipline. Having a way to quickly enter requirements could help. It might already be in there, but I don't know. I don't have enough experience with the tool yet.

I've been using the solution for two years but not on a daily basis.

The solution is very stable. It's one of the product's strengths. It's very powerful.

The solution is based on an application server, which is scalable, therefore the product itself is scalable.

I'd rate technical support eight out of ten. Usually, you will get a response in one day, and at maximum within two or three days.

The initial setup is very straightforward. There is a wizard that installs the requirements and takes care of everything for you. The set up is really simple. However, if you want to deploy it to an enterprise, it could be tricky.

I help my clients with the installation. However, there is the application server and the database server, and all those parts need expertise, which I don't have.

I know enough about the solution to handle most of it and IBM gives scripts so that you can install it easily. Also, IBM has support on offer when a customer buys a license. If the client struggles with part of the installation, maintenance and support can help him with the installation as well. I'm only there to support my customer and ask the right questions.

Users can buy a three-year license for about 12,000 Euros.

What other advice do I have?

I'm selling the solution to customers, as well as installing it, and configuring it. Currently, I'm using it for a customer. We use the on-premises deployment model. We're also IBM partners.

I'd recommend the solution. It's a quality product. It's not cheap, but if you want quality you have to pay for it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.