IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Review

API features enable us to integrate with Microsoft SQL, Oracle, and IBM Db2

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup within the customer's environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Currently, we are doing all of the PDP for VMware environments, and it seems to have been assisting us in a great way and making our backup more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the API features because it allows you to integrate with your Microsoft SQL, your Oracle, and your IBM Db2.

What needs improvement?

The new functionality with the retention policy, where you can push it down from H2 Plus down to the Normal Spectrum Protect needs improvement.

There is an individual file-level restore. I would like integration into where the VMware guys can do their own restores.

I have been using this solution for more than sixteen years.

At the moment, the stability of this solution seems to be extremely good. We just have to start putting more data on it and see what is going to happen with our VMware environment.

This is a scalable solution. I am aware that there are other users in South Africa using this solution. We currently only have one customer but we do plan to increase usage.

We have not used any technical support yet.

We used the original Spectrum Protect with TDP for VMware.

We changed to the Spectrum Protect Plus because of the licensing.

The initial setup is straightforward if you follow the book. It only needs one person to deploy it and maintain it, with a maximum of two. Should one get sick, the other could take over.  We have a back-up team.

Our deployment was internally cloud-connected. At the moment, we are not using it as a public or private cloud. The deployment took less than a day because we had to wait on the VMware guys to build the OVA for us.

We started to deploy it more into existing VMware environments in our environment. We have deployed it in only two of our environments and we have another six to do.

We implemented this solution ourselves.

At the moment we have not seen a return on our investment.

The licensing model of Spectrum Protect Plus is more efficient and cheaper compared to the original. It is much more efficient because of the cost. There are no additional set up costs that I am aware of.

They charge you for every terabyte of licensing that you can back up. We have a contract with IBM that includes maintenance for three or five years.

What other advice do I have?

If they are using the existing System Protect they should convert to Spectrum Protect Plus. It will save them a lot of money from a cost perspective.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.