IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Review

Backup, recovery and data management systems help assure the integrity and safety of your data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this is data protection and management using various features of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

Virtualization has helped us increase efficiency by working against data analysis almost immediately and without interrupting performance. We have experienced about an 80% savings in effort on our backups and satisfying data safety which makes us more efficient and improves our organization.

What is most valuable?

Certainly, the data protection is the most valuable feature for using the product but the secondary functions of replication, backup and recovery, are invaluable in helping to protect the validity of the data.

What needs improvement?

One of the places where the product can improve is in the interface. It is a little cumbersome to interact with and not very user-friendly. If the interface could be more simple it would make using the product better.

The only other improvement I can think of — and again this has something to do with the GUI interface — is to include other features for configuration and scheduling tasks to make using the product more simple.

We have been using this solution since 2012, or seven years.

We have never had a problem with the product and find it to be extremely stable. It handles loads very well and this is important for data security.

When it comes to scalability, we find that we are able to add new features and scale use of features fairly easily.

We have currently deployed the solution for nine clients and hope to continue to grow from there.

IBM generally has very good technical support if we require it, but also we are supposed to be experts, so we do not need to use their services often.

We actually concurrently serve customers using more than one option and the other option we work with is Veeam. Which we deploy depends on the customer need and their preferences.

Our experience with installations and deployment is that the installation is straightforward. It did not take more than an hour to install beside additional configurations and customizations required by the clients. The troubleshooting afterward may take more time, but usually, we can have everything in place in less than a day.

As we are the reseller or vendor we do the installations and configurations ourselves.

We only use IBM Spectrum Protect Plus with yearly licensing fees. It depends on which solutions or plan that you choose for exactly how much it will cost.

What other advice do I have?

As far as advice for people who are thinking about using the product, the product is excellent and it works. I can recommend using it and that you can be satisfied.

On a scale of one to ten where one is worst and ten is best, I give the product an eight. The biggest reason why this is an eight and not a ten is the same issues with the GUI interface and that it could be easier to use.