IBM Spectrum Protect Review

Very reliable. If you have SAN on the back end housing TSM’s storage pools, you can achieve blazing fast restore times.

Valuable Features

Client scheduling, deduplication, parallel processing of restores, disaster recovery manager.

Improvements to My Organization

Very reliable backup and recovery system. If you have SAN on the back-end housing TSM’s storage pools, you can achieve blazing fast restore times.

Room for Improvement

DB2 at the back-end database has some bugs in version 6; however, I have not yet worked with version 7 of TSM, so perhaps IBM has improved this, but don’t know for sure.

Use of Solution

Since 2005.

Yes, with deduplication turned on, you need to be careful about how you scale server ratio to clients. Dedup takes more DB space and processing time. We overloaded our first v. 6 server when we moved from 5.3 and this was a major headache.

For some reason on 6.2, when DB2 does a reorg, dsmserv will hang. Have not been able to troubleshoot deep enough due to lack of time.

No. You just need to have the servers and backend SAN storage with which to scale. $$$

IBM has been pretty good so far and you get people who know the product with great expertise.

5/5.

No, I have used TSM since I started managing backup/recovery.

I would say its fairly complex and would be best done with a consultant. It is a product designed to scale to immense proportions and takes a team to put it together right.

Implementation Team

Implemented through a vendor team. The consultant we had was an expert.

ROI

Not sure. But it has saved us from data loss many times.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Not sure.

Other Solutions Considered

Other Advice

Definitely recommend it.

3 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
Pedro EmilianoReal UserTOP 20

Truely the only enterprise backup software year after year.
Its ugly, difficult and so accurante, stable and scalable.
The only backup software with huge retro compatability, sometimes not supported but works.

15 September 16