IBM Spectrum Protect Review

It saves you storage and improves performance

What is our primary use case?

Its primary use case is backup and recall for enterprises.

We were looking for an enterprise solution, and we found Spectrum Protect. It is more enterprise backup and that is what you want.

I am managing two Spectrum Protect system plus one tests.

We are not using cloud storage currently, nor are we planning to in the future.

I am working to implement Spectrum Protect Plus

How has it helped my organization?

• It saves you a lot of storage.
  • Our performance is better.
  • Our product is running better than it was previously, which is huge.

My organization loves it, because they say it is one of the best product they have ever used.

What is most valuable?

• Deduplication
  • Data compression
  • There are a lot more features that we can use versus the previous product.

What needs improvement?

I want to see better compression than what it currently does. I heard that 8.1.5 has better compression.

There are more features, but I want test earlier, therefore we can do more bugging for the compression feature.

More than five years.

Stability is good.

However, depending upon what feature you turn on, you might run into more problems, then it is not stable. For example, when we started with deduplication, it was not working correctly. I spent so many hours with IBM support and development. They were not able to figure out what was going on and why. It was really a nightmare. We spent more hours working this product issue than I spent with my family.

Scalability is good. The product is so scalable and vast.

They need to do a better job on Windows, because if you are running Windows, the scalability is more limited than AIX and Linux.

We plan to add on more Spectrum Protects in the future.

The technical support is good. I prefer talking to the Level 2 support, because I feel that the Level 1 support sometimes wastes too much of my time.

We needed a better enterprise backup because we were backing up OS-specific backup products with OS only. Thus, we had too many backup products for each OS separately. This was a nightmare to backup. Therefore, we decided to get an all-in-one backup.

The initial setup was easy, but I did struggle with it with no training as I was new to the product. I did do a good job, though.

We also evaluated NetBackup.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• OS compatibility
  • Scalability
  • Pricing, etc.
More IBM Spectrum Protect reviews from users