IBM Spectrum Protect Review

Restores are quick and the data is always there

What is our primary use case?

We do have primary storage, which is a mix between IBM, EMC and Infinidat. We also use VMware and IBM Power servers. That is our infrastructure setup. We do not have a cloud strategy.

We have five instances of the Spectrum Protect.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for our backups. That is our main use for it. So far, it has been quick to restore, and we have never had any issues. Every time we go and try to get a file, we can get it. Restores are quick and the data is always there.

What is most valuable?

• It is very robust.
  • It has been in the market for many years.
  • We can use it with any storage for the back-end to save data.
  • It supports tape, which is something that we like as a hospital.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see capabilities of long-term archiving and more support for hardware platforms.

More than five years.

It is very stable. We have had it for over 15 years and never really had an issue.

We are now looking at the new product. Before, it did not have a lot of options for Exchange, SharePoint, etc. With the new Spectrum Protect Plus, it seems like there will be more options and they are catching up with the market, and that is a good thing.

The technical support seems good. Sometimes you get people who are not knowledgeable, but overall, it is good. You get the issues resolved.

We were not previously using a different solution. We were looking for a solution which was robust, and the company behind it was a good, big company. We had other IBM solutions at the time, so we wanted to make sure that we stuck with the same organization. I had used a Spectrum Protect, which used to be called TSM, in other places before, and it was stable and robust. That is how we decided to go with it.

The initial setup was not difficult at all; it was very straightforward. Even though Spectrum Protect is not the easiest to use, it was not a big deal to set it up.

We will probably use it in the future since we have already invested in it, even though we are looking at other options. Financially, it makes sense to go with Spectrum Protect rather than changing to another platform.

A long time ago, we also evaluated Legato NetWorker (now EMC NetWorker).

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are going to have to look at investing in a new solution because of the change that IBM is making to a Spectrum Protect Plus. Otherwise, we probably would not have looked at changing it from the legacy one.