IBM Spectrum Protect Review

Incremental forever helps us reduce backup time and backup storage space

What is our primary use case?

It is an enterprise product.

How has it helped my organization?

We can gain benefit from any advance features (incremental forever, deduplication, compression, etc.).

What is most valuable?

• Incremental forever: This feature helps us reduce backup time and backup storage space.
  • Deduplication and compression: This feature helps us move away from physical tape by using disk.
  • Replication: This feature help us to offsite backup data without tape. Data replication is incremental and will send only non-duplicate data.

What needs improvement?

The user interface (UI) for the admin is still not good. It is way too complicated to manage the product, as we still need to use command line. IBM launched the Operations Center (OC), but there are still functions lacking, especially since we cannot manage all our scheduled tasks by using the GUI.

More than five years.

There have been stability issues. The product does not exactly have a high availability (HA) solution.

There have been scalability issues. The core product does not support scale out. We needed to create a new system and manage resources separate from the existing one.

I would rate the technical support as a seven out of 10.

We did not use a previous solution.

The initial setup is complex. The solution needs a designer who knows the product in-depth.

The product is low cost. It is very cool when we design it to using licensing based on post capacity.

We compared it to NetBackup. In the end, for design and cost optimization, we chose IBM Spectrum Protect.

What other advice do I have?

The product may look difficult to manage, but if you need enterprise backup software which supports cross platform and you have good design and skills transfer, this product will help reduce costs.